Important -- Please Read re: Ben -- Memorial Fund

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-21-2005, 12:01 AM
GT3Scott will become famous soon enoughGT3Scott will become famous soon enough
Important -- Please Read re: Ben -- Memorial Fund

***PLEASE POST THIS ON OTHER FORUMS WHERE IT MAY BE OF INTEREST -- THANK YOU***

As many of you know, Ben was a huge Miami Hurricanes fan. The University of Miami has offered to have a special memorial presentation in Ben's name during halftime of the Virginia @ Miami football game in November. The details are below, but what I really need is to gauge if this can be done -- to see how many of you would commit to joining in on this effort.

We would need to raise about $11,500. Everything you donate would be fully tax-deductible. You'd be making a check to the University of Miami, and sending it to me (I'll just collect them and send them all together to Miami). $10,000 of what is raised will go to the Department of Athletics Student-Athlete Scholarship Fund in Ben's name. The remaining $1,500 will be used to buy 39 tickets for disadvantaged youth to attend the game (one for each year of Ben's life). These youth will be out on the field for the presentation -- which will be videotaped for all to see. Perhaps it will even be on TV.

Please read the information prepared by the University of Miami below, and let me know what you think. If you would, PLEASE email me at bmkmemorial@gmail.com with your PLEDGE -- please only do this if you WILL follow through. Please send your name and amount you pledge. I first want to see if we can do this -- once we can I will post and email information on where to send the checks.

I think this would be something that Ben would appreciate. He would have been watching this game, and I suppose he probably still will be.

Also feel free to respond here with your feelings. I know this is a lot of money, but it is tax deductible, goes to a good cause, and is something that was dear to Ben. It would only take 115 of us to pledge $100 -- I know a lot more than that can afford a lot more than that (and with it being tax deductible...). But I need to see if we can get enough pledges to make this happen.

Thanks guys, here is the text direct from the University of Miami:

Honoring the Memory of Benjamin Miles Keaton

Benjamin Miles Keaton tragically lost his life on Thursday, June 2, 2005 in an accident at the California Speedway. Ben was a devoted husband to his wife Charlotte and adoring father to his baby daughter, Parker.

A resident of La Jolla, California, Ben was born in Oklahoma, graduated from Rollins College and lived in Coral Gables and Orlando, Florida before settling in La Jolla. Ben was a car enthusiast with many other interests including golf, soccer, following the financial markets and the University of Miami Hurricanes football team.

He was known to be extraordinarily generous in offering friendship to all that he met. He also enthusiastically shared his knowledge with those within his reach. Anyone who met him will always remember his intelligence, his humor, and loyalty. He would do anything within his power to help his family and friends.

Now it is the friends of Ben Keaton who would like to honor the memory of this extraordinary individual. Among the varied interests of Ben was the Miami Hurricanes football team. To honor the life of their friend, the University of Miami proposes that a gift of $10,000 be designated to the Department of Athletics Student-Athlete Scholarship Fund.

In addition to this gift it is proposed that the friends of Ben Keaton purchase 39 tickets to the University of Miami vs. University of Virginia football game on Saturday, November 26, 2005 at the Orange Bowl. These tickets will be distributed by the University of Miami President’s Circle to youth who participate in not-for-profit organizations based in Miami-Dade County who’s mission it is to enhance the lives of under-privileged or disadvantaged youth.

In recognition of the generosity of the friends of Ben Keaton. The University of Miami proposes that a check presentation be conducted on the field during the University of Miami vs. University of Virginia football game. The youth who attend the game will be invited onto the field for the check presentation which will include an eloquent eulogy on the amazing life of Ben Keaton.

Additionally, the University of Miami proposes that a tribute to Ben not to exceed ¼ page be placed in the ‘Canes game day program of the University of Miami vs. University of South Florida football game.