6speed Technical Information forum This area is intended for members to post their technical questions that will be answered by anonymous experts posting as 411. Members may provide knowledge but sponsors are asked to not post in this forum.

My 2013 991 4S Steering lag ! Urgent Advice Needed

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-22-2014, 09:43 PM
xintar is on a distinguished road
Exclamation My 2013 991 4S Steering lag ! Urgent Advice Needed

Hi guys

Hope all are well

I'm experiencing something scary in my 2013 991 4S, and since yesterday I'm avoiding using it!

When I'm at a speed between 70 and 80 km/hour, the car will start to veer slightly to the right with no control from my side, and the steering-wheel will lag for a fraction of a second before it gets back and take control in somehow a stiff way that anyone in the car would feel it as if you are dodging a road bump. I tried, after making sure the road is clear, to see how far it can veer to the right before it realizes, and it surprised me that it can go all the way to the sidewalk ! And here where I started to doubt the safety of my ride, and that it can threaten my life and the passenger's life if it decides to take it to the next level of uncontrolled steering. I can't say it is a tire problem, because if so, why do I lose steering control for that fraction of the second. The steering feel at that fraction of the second, which is the scary part, is nothingness steering (blank) !

I really look forward to hearing your thoughts guys, how to deal with it and have you heard about this issue before ?

On the other hand, I'm sure that the first thing will come in your mind is that why don't I just take it to the dealer before posting anything here. The thing is that, I'm out of my home town and it is my only ride here for the coming week before I go back. So do you advice me to stop using it, ship it back to the dealer and just rent a car?

Many thanks

Old 07-25-2014, 05:46 PM
Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by xintar
Hi guys

Hope all are well

I'm experiencing something scary in my 2013 991 4S, and since yesterday I'm avoiding using it!

When I'm at a speed between 70 and 80 km/hour, the car will start to veer slightly to the right with no control from my side, and the steering-wheel will lag for a fraction of a second before it gets back and take control in somehow a stiff way that anyone in the car would feel it as if you are dodging a road bump. I tried, after making sure the road is clear, to see how far it can veer to the right before it realizes, and it surprised me that it can go all the way to the sidewalk ! And here where I started to doubt the safety of my ride, and that it can threaten my life and the passenger's life if it decides to take it to the next level of uncontrolled steering. I can't say it is a tire problem, because if so, why do I lose steering control for that fraction of the second. The steering feel at that fraction of the second, which is the scary part, is nothingness steering (blank) !

I really look forward to hearing your thoughts guys, how to deal with it and have you heard about this issue before ?

On the other hand, I'm sure that the first thing will come in your mind is that why don't I just take it to the dealer before posting anything here. The thing is that, I'm out of my home town and it is my only ride here for the coming week before I go back. So do you advice me to stop using it, ship it back to the dealer and just rent a car?

Many thanks

Second hand I have heard some reports (just a few, not even a handful) with the electrical/mechanical power steering system. The behavior you describe sounds similar to what others have reported.

Since I do not have a 991 with this new steering I have not had much incentive to learn more.

If the car is inexplicably veering to one side or the other I'd advise you to stop driving the car. Do you have road side assistance where you are? If so I'd call the number and get the car picked up and taken to the nearest Porsche dealer/service department.

Old 07-25-2014, 08:02 PM
xintar is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Macster
Second hand I have heard some reports (just a few, not even a handful) with the electrical/mechanical power steering system. The behavior you describe sounds similar to what others have reported.

Since I do not have a 991 with this new steering I have not had much incentive to learn more.

If the car is inexplicably veering to one side or the other I'd advise you to stop driving the car. Do you have road side assistance where you are? If so I'd call the number and get the car picked up and taken to the nearest Porsche dealer/service department.
Dear Macster

Thank you very much for the feedback

I decided to ship the car back to my home town and stop using it. I will post the dealer's feedback here as soon as I receive one.

Cheers

Old 08-03-2014, 01:47 PM
Sailingfun is on a distinguished road
Take it to the nearest dealer. Why ship it all the way home?

Old 08-03-2014, 03:45 PM
NSD991 is just really niceNSD991 is just really niceNSD991 is just really niceNSD991 is just really nice
Mine did this. Dealer said it was a known software glitch that happens when the car detects something abnormal with the rear tires. I had just had my tires replaced with wider tires and wheels. Dealer said he would get back to me when he could get an answer how to fix the problem. I don't have a local dealer so he wanted to find a fix before shipping the car to him. He never did, ultimately it stopped happening.
Please keep us updated

Old 08-03-2014, 03:46 PM
NSD991 is just really niceNSD991 is just really niceNSD991 is just really niceNSD991 is just really nice
Old 09-17-2014, 12:39 AM
toddcc1 will become famous soon enoughtoddcc1 will become famous soon enough
Has there been an update to this? Quick question regarding this behavior by those that've experienced it. Twice now I've experienced a "lag" or disconnect of sorts in the steering while driving. The vehicle almost felt as if it were floating, if that makes sense. Not a "darting" or pulling, just a very disconnected feel through the steering. The duration is a half-second, maybe 1, very short. It has happened twice now, once going rather fast during a straight stretch, the other normal city driving. Is this the same that others have witnessed?

Old 09-30-2014, 04:31 AM
wuaname is on a distinguished road
Friend had the same issue. Any update?

Old 10-07-2014, 12:07 AM
Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !
Is the car equipped with pdcc? Were the tires changed recently? When my rear tires wore out I was looking for michelins super sports but was forbidden to move away with all pirellis as pdcc is very sensitive to any unsymmetries.