6speed Technical Information forum This area is intended for members to post their technical questions that will be answered by anonymous experts posting as 411. Members may provide knowledge but sponsors are asked to not post in this forum.

HELP! 2006 Porsche 911 S Cab / MIL On For P0018

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-07-2015, 01:06 PM
Steel_Rain is on a distinguished road
HELP! 2006 Porsche 911 S Cab / MIL On For P0018

We have 2006 Porsche 911 S Cab in the shop with fault code P0018. After checking the forums, I cannot see this as a common issue.

What we have done so far:

Replaced the engine oil/filter and test drove @ higher RPM's.
Verified base timing, correct.
Swapped cam adjustment solenoids from left/right.
Replaced cam adjustment screens for both banks.

We can get about 40-50 miles out of the vehicle before the MIL return for P0018. Our next step it to remove the engine and checked the timing chain guides and/or camshaft chain adjusters.

The problem is strange and the vehicle runs fine and will rev to the moon with no issues. Has anyone ever run into this before?

Please help. You can email me as well at: jvanaulen@yahoo.com

Thank you!

Old 04-11-2015, 08:48 AM
Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Steel_Rain
We have 2006 Porsche 911 S Cab in the shop with fault code P0018. After checking the forums, I cannot see this as a common issue.

What we have done so far:

Replaced the engine oil/filter and test drove @ higher RPM's.
Verified base timing, correct.
Swapped cam adjustment solenoids from left/right.
Replaced cam adjustment screens for both banks.

We can get about 40-50 miles out of the vehicle before the MIL return for P0018. Our next step it to remove the engine and checked the timing chain guides and/or camshaft chain adjusters.

The problem is strange and the vehicle runs fine and will rev to the moon with no issues. Has anyone ever run into this before?

Please help. You can email me as well at: jvanaulen@yahoo.com

Thank you!
Might be time to consider another shop. One with the Porsche diagnostics computer and the know-how to use it to follow the proper diagnostics steps to sort this error out.

P0018 - Crankshaft position with respect to bank 2 intake camshaft.

My interpretation of the error is it arises because the crankshaft and bank 2 intake camshaft positions reported by the two sensors do not agree.

My WAG would be there is a problem with the bank 2 intake camshaft position sensor. I say this before saying the crankshaft position sensor is suspect as I would expect if the crankshaft position sensor to be at fault this would cause the error code for bank 1 intake camshaft position sensor to be logged.

The test steps have the tech eliminate any electrical explanation for this error then assuming no electrical fault found replacing the camshaft position sensor.

That the error takes 40 to 50 miles of driving before the error shows up suggests to me the problem is with the sensor not the wiring. The DME attempts to perform the required readiness monitor tests and this sensor fails. The test is probably performed twice which is why it takes 40 to 50 miles instead of 20 to 25 miles.

An engine off then on again may "fix" the sensor. (I've seen an engine off temporarily "fix" other things like O2 sensors.)

Absent any scary noises from the engine, any debris in the oil filter housing and oil filter element, I'd say, admittedly speaking from an amateur's point of view, there is a sensor at fault.

I'm on thinner ice when I offer that the sensor may be ok the solenoid/actuator may be at fault. That is the sensor may be reporting accurately the camshaft's position the position is wrong because the solenoid is not working quite right and not activating the actuator to change the timing or the actuator is not working right and thus failing to position the cam shaft properly.

One might view short term fuel trims and if one sees some weird readings on at least the bank 2 #1 sensor this could be a sign the solenoid/actuator is acting up. The DME is attempting with fueling adjustments to get the right #2 O2 sensor reading that it ain't going to get because the solenoid/actuator is at fault. In severe cases -- which this does not appear to be (yet) -- the engine can misfire as the DME actually goes too far and mis-fuels the engine in an attempt to get the desired in spec O2 sensor reading.

Old 04-15-2015, 09:25 PM
nismopowered is on a distinguished road
Can also put the engine at tdc and check the cam position by removing the cam end plugs. My wife's boxster had a bank 1 code p0016. The cams were way off. Still drove ok and revved fine. Made no funny noise. Still haven't had to time see why it jump a tooth. But doing that will tell you for sure wether it's mechanical or electrical problem.