6speed Technical Information forum This area is intended for members to post their technical questions that will be answered by anonymous experts posting as 411. Members may provide knowledge but sponsors are asked to not post in this forum.

997.2 Windshield wiper recommendation

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-26-2016, 06:37 AM
Lifeisgood2 is on a distinguished road
997.2 Windshield wiper recommendation

Any recommendations for front windshield wipers other than the OEM ones?
Thank you.
Steven

Old 11-26-2016, 08:25 AM
Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Lifeisgood2
Thank you.
Steven
Maybe. I am not familiar with the wipers on that model but if you can easily remove the wiper insert, just the rubber blade, by squeezing together a spring catch and sliding the rubber blade out of the arm/holder, then you can probably just buy the rubber blade with the spring catch as part of the blade at a well stocked local autoparts store.

You want to get the right length of blade. The shop should have a book located in the wiper section with reference charts that give the right blade model number for your car. If not check with one of the guys behind the parts counter.

Going to do this with both my Porsches today I think. The wipers are a bit noisy under some conditions and due to be replaced but I don't want to go to the expense of replacing the wiper arm/holder at the dealer parts department.

Old 01-11-2017, 12:37 PM
Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Lifeisgood2
Thank you.
Steven
Actually the OEM ones are pretty darn good and not that much if any more expensive than the aftermarket wipers.

I tried to find some alternatives. I checked out an auto parts store and there were a lot of choices, Bosch, and other brands, and some brands had several different product names too. There was an electronic catalog to check the wiper references but it was all very confusing actually.

And the prices were a bit steep, steeper than I expected, plus the wipers were encased in plastic and I was afraid if I got it wrong I'd not be able to exchange for the right wiper.

So I drove around with crummy wipers for a week or so until the other day at the dealer -- in my Boxster -- in the pouring rain to arrange to bring in my other car -- Turbo -- for some window electrics work. Sick of dealing with the crummy wipers on the Boxster I just picked up a set at the Porsche dealer parts counter. The SM installed them for me while I got a shuttle ride home to pick up my Turbo to bring it in for service.

The SM didn't have the paperwork ready when I came back with my Turbo and dropped it off but said he'd add the wipers to the repair invoice for the Turbo and I could pay for the wipers when I paid for the repair.

Today I picked up the Turbo and the wiper cost was under $50 for the pair. That's pretty close to the price the local auto parts store wanted to charge me.

So I bought a 2nd pair for the Turbo and the SM installed them while I watched. Took him under a minute.

Aaaahhhh. New wipers. It is wonderful to have quiet wipers and a clear windshield to see out of again.

Now if only the rain would return. I think the drought's back on.

Old 01-11-2017, 01:18 PM
steben is on a distinguished road
Bosch

As a former auto parts store manager who has installed hundreds of pairs of blades or refills for customers, I always recommend Bosch.

IMO, best quality, design and not too expensive

Old 01-11-2017, 01:41 PM
Originally Posted by steben
As a former auto parts store manager who has installed hundreds of pairs of blades or refills for customers, I always recommend Bosch.

IMO, best quality, design and not too expensive
The Bosch wipers looked ok. However, the Bosch brand name, the primary brand name (Icon?) that was first on the electronic catalog was not in stock, though. Those came in a right and a left side.

The others didn't appear to distinguish between the sides. My recollection is the right and left side wipers are a bit different even though they are the same length.

The other Bosch wipers and the other makes just didn't seem quite up to par based on what I remember from when I last handled the genuine article.

Old 01-27-2017, 04:12 PM
Update (of sorts)....

A while back we had some big rain forecast for our area and I needed wipers. The wipers on both cars were making a heck of a racket.

In a hurry I broke down and bought a set at the dealer. The SM installed them and sent me on my way. The next day I was there to pick up my other car and pay for its service and the wipers were of course added to the bill. Don't remember the actual price but less than $50 for the pair. This is very close to what a pair of wipers would have cost at the auto parts store.

Was so thrilled I bought a pair for the other car and the SM installed that pair in no time.

The big rains came and it was so nice to have a clear windshield in even the heaviest rain and with the blades not making a heck of a racket as they moved across the glass.

As an aside the rain and wind took its toll on my mini Porsche umbrella and a few days after getting new wipers I was at the dealer to replace the mini umbrella. It is or was when it worked right a nice umbrella and when time to put it away it folds up and slides into a case that then fits in the cavity in the passenger door sill. As a further aside, please note my 15 year old Boxster is still going strong but the 15 year old umbrella gave it up. When the SM heard of my predicament he gave me a new umbrella from a supply that were being handed out as a promo gift to new car buyers.

Anyhow, both cars have new genuine Porsche wipers and I have a new genuine Porsche umbrella.

Now if it would just start raining again...

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.