911 1964- to current Porsche 911, from the air-cooled days to the current 997

1st Post - Looking to make an educated purchase

Old 09-06-2010, 09:36 AM
june82000 is on a distinguished road
1st Post - Looking to make an educated purchase

Hi all,
I appreciate any input. I've decided to pursue a lifelong dream of mine and bite the bullet on a 911. I've always loved the mystique of the 911 and until recently didn't realize all the variants of the car.

For starters, can anyone recommend a good book, i.e. a buyer's guide to 911s. I don't expect to be able to afford anything turbo, but could realistically afford something through a 1997 model. Well, I guess you could say I could spend upwards of $30K.

Again, any information is welcomed in advance.

Thanks,

Dave Jackson

PS - I look forward to giving advice to others some day.... Thanks!

Old 09-09-2010, 10:22 PM
00spyder is on a distinguished road
I suggest you you start to test drive a few - at that price point you could afford a VERY nice 1987-1989 Carrera 3.2 with the G50 Transmission, a very nice/ low mileage 964 or a nice 993. All aircooled, all great cars, but all drive/feel slightly different. Also need to consider if this is a weekend toy or a daily driver. If it is a daily driver, I would suuggest going as new as possible (maybe even a watercooled 996). In the end, do your research and buy what you like. I would suggest a subscription to Excellence Magazine and visit your local areas Porsche Club gathering - always a good way to find cars and talk to people about their car. Also check out some sights more focused on 911's like rennlist.com - tons of info and insight.

Good luck with your search.

Old 09-10-2010, 11:10 AM
w00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond repute
It is a buyers market. Some pristine low mile cars are still in the market and prices are at an all time low. PCA website has a mart (only for members), Panorama magazine, Autotrader, Rennlist, pelican parts (these two are websites) all great resources for used air-cooled 911's. Pete Zimmerman's guide for 911 buyers is a very good one and so are Excellence and total 911 magazines (you get in B and N and Borders).

For that budget of your's you can get 964 and 993 which are both very modern air-cooled 911's (993 being the so-called best iteration of the air-cooled era) but maintenance costs are higher compared to earlier version 3.2's. Some very good 993's can be got for 32 to 34 K. SC and Carrera 3.2's is retrofeel all the way given the lack of power steering, ABS and the HVAC is mediocre on these at best. See what suits your needs (Daily driver vs part-time weekend toy). Do not discount an earlier version SC that has all the usual mechanical upgrades. My vote goes for a well cared for Carrera 3.2's which are brutally reliable and serviceable units but again there is a lack of creature comforts and some people want a power steering. I do not want to get into the 915 vs G-50 gearbox argument (there is alot of stuff online on this). I will tell you that you will be making a big mistake if you limit your search to the G-50 equipped cars. I started my search limiting to '87 to 89 year model of the 3.2's after reading all magazines/buyer guides. Landed up with a 915 as it took the classic feel to an all new level. The G-50's are stronger and more modern gear boxes no doubt shifting is very much smoother but that does not mean that one has to run away from 915 gearboxes. In fact Porsche built quite the reputation on the world's racing stage thousands of 915 equipped cars. It takes some special skill and patience to use a 915 gearbox and the heavy cable clutch may not be someone's cup of tea. FYI two of the three top gear show petrol heads have a Carrrera 3.2 with 915 gearbox. Quite often 915 equipped cars are driven by people who do not know how to use them and the gearbox shows the owners' lack of knowledge. Go for the best overall package (originality, condition of exterior/interior, service record and PPI results), not a particular gearbox. Be open with your choice of color and vehicle (cabrio vs coupe vs targa unless you absolutely despise one kind).Test drive all air cooled 911's and decide for yourself.

Last edited by w00tPORSCHE; 09-10-2010 at 11:47 AM.
Old 09-10-2010, 12:42 PM
Originally Posted by 00spyder
I suggest you you start to test drive a few - at that price point you could afford a VERY nice 1987-1989 Carrera 3.2 with the G50 Transmission, a very nice/ low mileage 964 or a nice 993. All aircooled, all great cars, but all drive/feel slightly different. Also need to consider if this is a weekend toy or a daily driver. If it is a daily driver, I would suuggest going as new as possible (maybe even a watercooled 996). In the end, do your research and buy what you like. I would suggest a subscription to Excellence Magazine and visit your local areas Porsche Club gathering - always a good way to find cars and talk to people about their car. Also check out some sights more focused on 911's like rennlist.com - tons of info and insight.

Good luck with your search.
Thanks 00spyder... One thing I've noticed is that the 3.2s are just as much if not more than the 993s. I would be comfortable with a 3.2, I think my wife would be more comfortable with a 993. I've got plenty of time to look around and decide. In the meantime I've ordered the 'used 911 story' by zimmerman, and the 911 red book. Thanks for your input.

Old 09-10-2010, 12:59 PM
Originally Posted by w00tPORSCHE
It is a buyers market. Some pristine low mile cars are still in the market and prices are at an all time low. PCA website has a mart (only for members), Panorama magazine, Autotrader, Rennlist, pelican parts (these two are websites) all great resources for used air-cooled 911's. Pete Zimmerman's guide for 911 buyers is a very good one and so are Excellence and total 911 magazines (you get in B and N and Borders).

For that budget of your's you can get 964 and 993 which are both very modern air-cooled 911's (993 being the so-called best iteration of the air-cooled era) but maintenance costs are higher compared to earlier version 3.2's. Some very good 993's can be got for 32 to 34 K. SC and Carrera 3.2's is retrofeel all the way given the lack of power steering, ABS and the HVAC is mediocre on these at best. See what suits your needs (Daily driver vs part-time weekend toy). Do not discount an earlier version SC that has all the usual mechanical upgrades. My vote goes for a well cared for Carrera 3.2's which are brutally reliable and serviceable units but again there is a lack of creature comforts and some people want a power steering. I do not want to get into the 915 vs G-50 gearbox argument (there is alot of stuff online on this). I will tell you that you will be making a big mistake if you limit your search to the G-50 equipped cars. I started my search limiting to '87 to 89 year model of the 3.2's after reading all magazines/buyer guides. Landed up with a 915 as it took the classic feel to an all new level. The G-50's are stronger and more modern gear boxes no doubt shifting is very much smoother but that does not mean that one has to run away from 915 gearboxes. In fact Porsche built quite the reputation on the world's racing stage thousands of 915 equipped cars. It takes some special skill and patience to use a 915 gearbox and the heavy cable clutch may not be someone's cup of tea. FYI two of the three top gear show petrol heads have a Carrrera 3.2 with 915 gearbox. Quite often 915 equipped cars are driven by people who do not know how to use them and the gearbox shows the owners' lack of knowledge. Go for the best overall package (originality, condition of exterior/interior, service record and PPI results), not a particular gearbox. Be open with your choice of color and vehicle (cabrio vs coupe vs targa unless you absolutely despise one kind).Test drive all air cooled 911's and decide for yourself.
w00tPorsche - Thanks for the book, man!! Excellent info. As you may have noticed I already ordered the 'used 911 story' so I'm looking forward to that. I also have the 911 red book on the way too. I'm stuck out here on an aircraft carrier right now, so I have a good amount of time to do the research. I saw your posts about the G50 vs. the 915 gearboxes. From what I've seen the G50 definitely commands a premium, how much of that is hype, I don't know. Surely if one (G50) comes along at a good price with everything else being right then I guess it would be a no-brainer. I think I'd lean toward the 3.2 personally. I say that because I love old cars. I have three classic mustangs (65-66, one of each body style), a classic Bronco, and my latest 'classic' a 1990 BMW 325i Convertible (okay, it's the wife's car). I love getting my hands dirty, I'm an FAA certified aircraft maintenance technician and a Lieutenant Commander in the Navy. After I get out from behind the desk each day, I need something to help me unwind on the way home, but I digress.

I see you're in E. Washington. I read you got your inspiration for buying somewhere out in the San Juans, I was curious where. My wife is from Anacortes if you know where that is. There's a chance that I'll be getting stationed up there again next year, if so I'll probably be looking for one on the West Coast, starting in Washington. Maybe I could come check out your collection if everything works out that way. Anyway, thanks again for the valuable, free and best of all 'lessons learned' information.

Last edited by june82000; 09-10-2010 at 01:06 PM.
Old 09-10-2010, 03:36 PM
w00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond repute
The head maintenance person at Rosario Lodge in Orcas Island had his 964 parked there throughout our length of stay earlier this year. Coming from a 997.2 (I got that last year), everyday I drooled at the pure lines of a classic 911. Then I did extensive research (several hours logged on Pelican Parts, Rennlist, coffee table books, magazines...you name it) before deciding on the 3.2 over the 964. The 3.2's have all the appeal of the original 911 (FUCH's wheels etc) and I loved the look of the impact bumpers (compared to the 964's bumper). The lack of pwer steering and the reliability of their engines just did it for me. The 964's are more expensive to maintain and the 993's even more so. The HVAC and suspension on the 964's are much more modern. The smoothened lines of the 993 are too close in looks to my 997. If U love DIY stuff, boy you will enjoy your 3.2. I do not even know how to hold a tool. Have your wife drive it and see if she can live without the power steering. I am thinking the G-50 feel would suit your wife better as shifts are smoother and easier. For me I just love my 915 gearbox and the pre-87 cars are also a little lighter (as the G-50's equipped cars weigh heavier). Repairs head to head the G-50 would be more expensive to fix...how much more I do not know. For a quick resale you are probably better off with an '87 through 89 3.2. Every single person looking for a 3.2 starts his first post with....newbie looking for a '87 through '89 911. It's also amazing how often the car ads state "the much desirable G-50"... desirable to whom ? You are more than welcome to drive mine (915 gearbox in pristine shape) when you are headed this way, just PM me. Gearshifts have to be made with a slight pause in neutral to prolong the life of these gearboxes. Hence the 915's are more susceptible to abuse (worn synchros etc). I have a Carrera 3.2 guide from issue number 60 of total 911. Let me know if you want it. I can send you a copy. Good luck.

Old 09-12-2010, 03:56 AM
Banned
Anton_2 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by 00spyder
I suggest you you start to test drive a few - at that price point you could afford a VERY nice 1987-1989 Carrera 3.2 with the G50 Transmission
Speculatively that could be the pick of the bunch as it was a generation ender.

Old 09-13-2010, 03:32 AM
Anton, thanks. If I could get a nice '87-'89 3.2 for the money, I think I'd be very happy. I've got some books on the way that will hopefully help in the decision process.