I want to restore my dads '72 911 E Targa in Florida - 6speedonline.com Forums

Go Back   6speedonline.com Forums > Porsche (Past) > 911
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

911 1964- to current Porsche 911, from the air-cooled days to the current 997

I want to restore my dads '72 911 E Targa in Florida

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-24-2010, 03:04 PM

Fantasma has a reputation beyond reputeFantasma has a reputation beyond reputeFantasma has a reputation beyond reputeFantasma has a reputation beyond reputeFantasma has a reputation beyond reputeFantasma has a reputation beyond reputeFantasma has a reputation beyond reputeFantasma has a reputation beyond reputeFantasma has a reputation beyond reputeFantasma has a reputation beyond reputeFantasma has a reputation beyond repute
I want to restore my dads '72 911 E Targa in Florida

I want to restore my dads 1972 911 Targa E.
Its been sitting for many, many, many years and only barely ever gets driven and not very far.
It needs a complete engine tune up and possibly a rebuild, and a ton of cosmetic and body work.

The seats and carpeting inside need to be replaced from a parts car or something of the sort.
The lever to pop the hood open has come off, and the cable needs to be re-run and re-installed.
The latch and spring for the gas cap need to be replaced.
The seat belts need to be re-tensioned, some windows replaced, the window roll up levers replaced/fixed.

I want to try and keep it as original as possible in the restoration, but I will want to upgrade things like brakes, suspension, any new tricks/upgrades that the mechanic knows for these engines to upgrade them, etc.

My dad long ago upgraded the engine to Webber carburetters.

The car is in Vero Beach, Florida. I am looking for someone who can advise me on the restoration that is some what local to see what type of $$$$ I am looking at.

Thanks!
Old 12-26-2010, 10:38 AM

juankimalo is on a distinguished road
juankimalo
Do you have any pics to show?

It's difficult to prepare a budget without a full inspection.
There will be probably some corrosion.

I'm one of those who think that the only way to make this things is go for a completely restoration.

Dismatle the car, repare rusty and corrosion damaged areas, full body restore, new paintjob, new carpet, upholstery, engine and gearbox rebuild, and use NOS parts to achieve the original look.

If you'd spend your money in not making a full restoration, but improving all the wear parts, and the things more important to do, you'll be finally wasting the money twice and remake it from zero.

It's better to make it once and make it with a high exigency level.

Nevertheless, this a single business in this operation = money
I don't know what you think to spend, but when you're in the beginning of a restoration, the problems come to you from heaven. All the initial budgets became to duplicate at the end of the work.

Look at this:

http://www.historika.co.uk/projects.asp

http://www.porsche.com/spain/accesso...ryrestoration/

My car info My blog

Old 12-28-2010, 12:30 AM

Fantasma has a reputation beyond reputeFantasma has a reputation beyond reputeFantasma has a reputation beyond reputeFantasma has a reputation beyond reputeFantasma has a reputation beyond reputeFantasma has a reputation beyond reputeFantasma has a reputation beyond reputeFantasma has a reputation beyond reputeFantasma has a reputation beyond reputeFantasma has a reputation beyond reputeFantasma has a reputation beyond repute
Yeah, I'm looking for shop referrals in Florida that could handle the job
Old 12-28-2010, 01:53 AM

F430Spider is a jewel in the roughF430Spider is a jewel in the roughF430Spider is a jewel in the rough
Just keep in mind RESTORE is a VERY expensive word! Usually cheaper to buy a mint example of a car like yours then spend double on restoring it - unless you have an emotional attachment to the car - Make sure you get any estimates with the understanding that they are ALL inclusive so there are no surprises later! Good Luck!
1987 Buick Grand National GNX
1967 Shelby GT500
Old 12-28-2010, 07:23 AM

wpgfordguy has a reputation beyond reputewpgfordguy has a reputation beyond reputewpgfordguy has a reputation beyond reputewpgfordguy has a reputation beyond reputewpgfordguy has a reputation beyond reputewpgfordguy has a reputation beyond reputewpgfordguy has a reputation beyond reputewpgfordguy has a reputation beyond reputewpgfordguy has a reputation beyond reputewpgfordguy has a reputation beyond reputewpgfordguy has a reputation beyond repute
if you're in Vero, speak to the guys at Champion,

I've been restoring cars all my life, remember x2 as long x2 as much
2007 Ebb Tide 2660 ZTrak 496 Mag HO (Really Nice Weather)
Previous? 997C4, E63, S281SC Next? 991S
Old 12-28-2010, 08:26 AM

rvhpno80 has a reputation beyond reputervhpno80 has a reputation beyond reputervhpno80 has a reputation beyond reputervhpno80 has a reputation beyond reputervhpno80 has a reputation beyond reputervhpno80 has a reputation beyond reputervhpno80 has a reputation beyond reputervhpno80 has a reputation beyond reputervhpno80 has a reputation beyond reputervhpno80 has a reputation beyond reputervhpno80 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via MSN to rvhpno80
yeah post some pics, good luck with the car, also if done right the car may be worth some money....
970 Panamera.....Sold
997 TURBO ....Sold
997 C4S Cab....Sold
Old 12-28-2010, 08:26 AM

Tags
1967, 911, bently, dads, engine, hood, key, lock, mechanic, ny, porsche, resoration, restore, restoring, sitting, targa, weschester, westchester