911 1964- to current Porsche 911, from the air-cooled days to the current 997

I want to restore my dads '72 911 E Targa in Florida

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-24-2010, 02:04 PM
Fantasma Is a GOD !Fantasma Is a GOD !Fantasma Is a GOD !Fantasma Is a GOD !Fantasma Is a GOD !Fantasma Is a GOD !Fantasma Is a GOD !Fantasma Is a GOD !Fantasma Is a GOD !Fantasma Is a GOD !Fantasma Is a GOD !
I want to restore my dads '72 911 E Targa in Florida

I want to restore my dads 1972 911 Targa E.
Its been sitting for many, many, many years and only barely ever gets driven and not very far.
It needs a complete engine tune up and possibly a rebuild, and a ton of cosmetic and body work.

The seats and carpeting inside need to be replaced from a parts car or something of the sort.
The lever to pop the hood open has come off, and the cable needs to be re-run and re-installed.
The latch and spring for the gas cap need to be replaced.
The seat belts need to be re-tensioned, some windows replaced, the window roll up levers replaced/fixed.

I want to try and keep it as original as possible in the restoration, but I will want to upgrade things like brakes, suspension, any new tricks/upgrades that the mechanic knows for these engines to upgrade them, etc.

My dad long ago upgraded the engine to Webber carburetters.

The car is in Vero Beach, Florida. I am looking for someone who can advise me on the restoration that is some what local to see what type of $$$$ I am looking at.

Thanks!

Old 12-26-2010, 09:38 AM
juankimalo will become famous soon enoughjuankimalo will become famous soon enough
Do you have any pics to show?

It's difficult to prepare a budget without a full inspection.
There will be probably some corrosion.

I'm one of those who think that the only way to make this things is go for a completely restoration.

Dismatle the car, repare rusty and corrosion damaged areas, full body restore, new paintjob, new carpet, upholstery, engine and gearbox rebuild, and use NOS parts to achieve the original look.

If you'd spend your money in not making a full restoration, but improving all the wear parts, and the things more important to do, you'll be finally wasting the money twice and remake it from zero.

It's better to make it once and make it with a high exigency level.

Nevertheless, this a single business in this operation = money
I don't know what you think to spend, but when you're in the beginning of a restoration, the problems come to you from heaven. All the initial budgets became to duplicate at the end of the work.

Look at this:

http://www.historika.co.uk/projects.asp

http://www.porsche.com/spain/accesso...ryrestoration/

Old 12-27-2010, 11:30 PM
Fantasma Is a GOD !Fantasma Is a GOD !Fantasma Is a GOD !Fantasma Is a GOD !Fantasma Is a GOD !Fantasma Is a GOD !Fantasma Is a GOD !Fantasma Is a GOD !Fantasma Is a GOD !Fantasma Is a GOD !Fantasma Is a GOD !
Yeah, I'm looking for shop referrals in Florida that could handle the job

Old 12-28-2010, 12:53 AM
F430Spider is just really niceF430Spider is just really niceF430Spider is just really niceF430Spider is just really nice
Just keep in mind RESTORE is a VERY expensive word! Usually cheaper to buy a mint example of a car like yours then spend double on restoring it - unless you have an emotional attachment to the car - Make sure you get any estimates with the understanding that they are ALL inclusive so there are no surprises later! Good Luck!

Old 12-28-2010, 06:23 AM
wpgfordguy Is a GOD !wpgfordguy Is a GOD !wpgfordguy Is a GOD !wpgfordguy Is a GOD !wpgfordguy Is a GOD !wpgfordguy Is a GOD !wpgfordguy Is a GOD !wpgfordguy Is a GOD !wpgfordguy Is a GOD !wpgfordguy Is a GOD !wpgfordguy Is a GOD !
if you're in Vero, speak to the guys at Champion,

I've been restoring cars all my life, remember x2 as long x2 as much

Old 12-28-2010, 07:26 AM
rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !
yeah post some pics, good luck with the car, also if done right the car may be worth some money....