911 1964- to current Porsche 911, from the air-cooled days to the current 997

AutoX Lite - should I?

Old 09-26-2016, 12:03 PM
Carolina Girl has a spectacular aura aboutCarolina Girl has a spectacular aura aboutCarolina Girl has a spectacular aura about
AutoX Lite - should I?

So, I've got a 2005 911 Carrera S that I've been thinking about doing some AutoX with.

When I say "Lite," I am just basically wanting to do this thing on kind of a low key basis with my (totally stock) car, and just dip a toe in to see if I will like it, and probably will always just want to do it kind of for fun and not get all SUPER competitive about it.

Years ago, in the mid 80's, I worked for a grey market importer and drove a lot of miles in many different exotic cars getting them from conversion to lab and back, and was considered to be a pretty good driver, BUT...

I have not driven in a particularly challenging manner in a long time - likely a function of self-preservation kicking in, as well as a desire to not have the car insurance rates of a 16 year old male.

I was thinking of taking my car to one of those SCCA Novice Training class things they sometimes have the day before events to get an idea of what I need to be working on and refresh my maneuvering skills, and I was also considering doing the Porsche experience thing in Atlanta to get more conversant with PDK/Paddles because I am used to a manual, and don't feel like I'm using them to advantage in this automatic vehicle.

Do y'all recommend I go to Atlanta or to an SCCA event to work on driving skills for AutoX?

And just HOW bad is AutoX on tires? Would I need a spare set of less expensive wheels/tires to save my $$$ ones?

I was looking at pics of our local club's events and see a lot of Miatas and Corvettes, but not any 911's? Wonder why that is...

Thanks!