Sponsored by:

Pass on this 968?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-04-2016, 09:54 PM
clawless is an unknown quantity at this point
Pass on this 968?

Hi All,

I am in the market for a 968 and went and looked at one today. I checked it over and had a Porsche garage recommended on here do a PPI. My offer and what they are asking are off by a few grand, and I am wondering if I am passing up (which I am plan on doing) something I shouldn’t.

It’s a 1994 White 968 coupe with the tiptronic, 86,000 miles
I checked the option tag and it only has
electric adjust heated driver seat with lumbar adjust
electric adjust heated passenger seat
tiptronic
Nothing else that isn't standard

Service, supposedly done – no records available, listed on the carfax at 83K miles but in 2012, it now has 86K miles.

Tie rod ends
Alignment
New tires
Balance shaft seal replaced
Rotors resurfaced (but they have quite a lip for 3000 miles)
Cap/rotor/plugs replaced
Thermostat / waterpump
Timing,belt and idler replaced
Trans filter / fluid changed

PPI shows:
Good tires
console hinge gone
sunroof binds slightly on unlock
worn ignition lock cylinder
sunvisor clips
Digital temp inoperable
Radio inoperable
Airbag light on with Central warning light
steering wheel off center and shimmy at 60
curb rash on all rims
a/c clutch worn/rust stains
engine and trans mounts sagging
cracked windshield
missing(rusted off) third brake light
75% F 50%R on brake pads
Oil leaking from lower balance shaft, rear main, valve cover and AT reservoir – all minor
temp and volt gauge reading low but systems seem OK
tach needle bent
Cruise control deceleration does not work (the rest works)
misc scratchs and a few minor dings, broken body clips and rubber seals on body work (hatch and Sunroof look OK)
Timing belt seemed OK. (I asked them to check it specifically to confirm then carfax service claim)
Runs good, shifts and drives well.

For 3000 miles I'm a little concerned some of the reported maintenance wasn’t done (rotors for 1 and no balance shaft belts done, steering wheel off center) .

I am looking for a cruiser / toy and maybe a long term investment, I am OK with the tiptronic and am leaning toward preferring it for this purchase. I can and don’t mind working on it and prefer a project, I’ve had 924’s, 931’s and 944’s so I am familiar with the line.

They started at $11K and came down to $9K, I'm at $7K and on the fence.

While it runs good, its got ALL the little issues and while some are minor or cosmetic, they all add up. Then the three things keeping it from being driveable in my state are the airbag light, cracked windshield and the third brake light missing, they are not really wanting to budge on fixing any of that other than 'Looking" at the airbag light, and offering me some money back if its an expensive fix. The 2 grand drop is suppose to get these 3 things fixed, making this a $11K car. The airbag is the worst as it could be a simple dealer reset from a low battery or a major issue. It’s a northern car as well.

Am I crazy for passing on it at $9k? After writing all this out I don’t think I am. A better condition one is out there with a Tip with less issues for similar money.

thought?

--clawless

Old 10-04-2016, 10:16 PM
Cannonball996 Is a GOD !Cannonball996 Is a GOD !Cannonball996 Is a GOD !Cannonball996 Is a GOD !Cannonball996 Is a GOD !Cannonball996 Is a GOD !Cannonball996 Is a GOD !Cannonball996 Is a GOD !Cannonball996 Is a GOD !Cannonball996 Is a GOD !Cannonball996 Is a GOD !
I have only had a few 968s, but the last one I needed a windshield (not cheap), with that many leaks and some of the other things mentioned it sounds like whom ever was working on it did a poor job (probably not familiar with these cars). I think $7K, but no more.

Old 10-05-2016, 07:57 AM
clawless is an unknown quantity at this point
Safelite quoted me just over $1000 for the windshield, the third brake light looks to be part of the trim that goes around the bottom of glass and not available separate, $500 new, $400 good used. still looking into that.

It was maintained by a Subaru dealer, which in fairness the PPI garage said he knows them and they do good work. The previous owner just never had any of the common issues addressed, and did things like use gaf tape for the console hinge.