Advice needed - buying a 1976 930

Old 04-20-2009, 02:27 PM
stuntman is a name known to allstuntman is a name known to allstuntman is a name known to allstuntman is a name known to allstuntman is a name known to allstuntman is a name known to all
Advice needed - buying a 1976 930

My grandfather is looking into buying a 1976 930 from an old acquaintance of his.

The car is black, has ~90K miles, and has an aftermarket Momo steering wheel, Recaro seats, aftermarket wheels, and was said to be repainted (didn't specify the whole car or just a sand-blasted bumper). Do all 1976 930's have black trim panels? The photos of this car has chrome trim panels.

It has been recommended by many people to have the car checked out by a Porsche shop familiar with older P-cars before buying it. I wanted to look at it first and see if it was worth taking it to a shop to be further inspected.

I've been told to check the front frame rails under the front hood/trunk carpet for buckling near the firewall to identify signs of damage, as well as make sure the VIN starts with "930" and not "911". I was also advised to look into the perforated VIN panel to see what the original color of the car was. It was also recommended to start the car cold and 30 minutes after a drive to make sure the 'crappy/old school' fuel injection design is still functioning properly.

Any advice on what to look for or be aware of (typical rust areas, bushing degredation, oil leaks, turbo problems, transmission problems, expected rebuild mileage, etc...) would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

Billy

Last edited by stuntman; 04-20-2009 at 02:35 PM.
Old 04-22-2009, 08:41 AM
stuntman is a name known to allstuntman is a name known to allstuntman is a name known to allstuntman is a name known to allstuntman is a name known to allstuntman is a name known to all
Any advice atall?

Old 04-22-2009, 09:04 PM
Chuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond repute
Buy or borrow Zimmerman's book on what to look for in buying a Porsche.....he has all sorts of check lists and recommendations. Do a search for Zimmerman here and on Rennlist and you'll find it. Also do a search for Pre-Purchase Inspection list....and there are guys who have written up extensive articles on the things to look for....

This 930 section doesn't get a lot of traffic...just periodic perusals...try the 930 section over on Pelican and Rennlist....the 930 sections there are much more active.

Last edited by Chuck Jones; 04-22-2009 at 09:06 PM.
Old 04-22-2009, 09:56 PM
I was not aware that Pelican Parts had a forum. A lot of great information in there, thanks!

Old 04-22-2009, 09:59 PM
Chuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond repute
Glad to be of assistance....Pelican has a lot of 930 "stuff"

Old 09-14-2009, 05:09 PM
steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !
brings back old times i had a 76 930, blk over tan, a fun car my 1st porsche,i remember it was sorta like driving a roller skate (kept wanta ta go out from under me). it was a fun car had to add a micro fueler to save the motor and as i remember i upgraded the turbo....can't remember any real probs.

Old 01-11-2010, 07:29 PM
GG386 is on a distinguished road
That was the only car I ever swapped ends with on the street- seems like it was yesterday

Old 07-30-2015, 01:54 PM
ray martin is on a distinguished road
just wanted to know if anyone knows how to find out about a porsche 930 turbo martini if its a genuine one or not ?