Light weight

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-21-2014, 07:35 AM
wlettau is on a distinguished road
Light weight

Looking to lighten my car a bit further. Have seen the 911R tail lights but really do not care for the look. Does someone make a fiberglass version or carbon fiber stock type housing? How much weight is saved with the RS carpet set?

Old 01-27-2014, 12:18 PM
Hams996TT will become famous soon enoughHams996TT will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by wlettau
Looking to lighten my car a bit further. Have seen the 911R tail lights but really do not care for the look. Does someone make a fiberglass version or carbon fiber stock type housing? How much weight is saved with the RS carpet set?
Hi There,

Sierra Madre sells a nice quality reproduction tail light housing for around $350 for the pair. They are plastic and much lighter. They are also a good source for high quality reproduction parts like the lenses.

Here's a link for you: http://www.sierramadrecollection.com...uct_list&c=533

I've bought a few items from them and extremely nice quality and service.

As for the carpet set - I can't honestly say that going to an RS carpet set will save you a ton of weight. It's thinner for sure, but the problem is that you'll need to put some kind of material underneath it to smooth it out. I personally used the thermal padding that Thermotec makes for transmission tunnels/etc. It's a padded blanket type material that is about .5" thick and offers sound and thermal insulation. The RS carpet is so thin that without it, the install would look really cheap honestly.

What DID save weight was going to RSA door cards and getting all the stock door panels out. The stock cards with the door pulls and bins weigh about 12lbs each. The RSA parts are maybe 2-3lbs. I removed my radio, speakers and associated wiring with my conversion. I know that would have saved me another 20lbs.

The rear seat backs, bottoms and belts altogether weigh about 30-35lbs. Removing that in the RSA carpet conversion definitely helped.

You could also save a little by changing the parcel shelf out for a carpeted version. I elected to have mine recovered in new leather and remove the speaker holes. It looks really nice against the fresh black carpet.

Anyhow, I hope this is helpful to you.

Best of luck!

Chris.

Old 01-27-2014, 12:19 PM
Hams996TT will become famous soon enoughHams996TT will become famous soon enough
Oh also.... I changed my OEM sport seats out for Recaro Pole Positions, which are the same thing as the RS Speedsters in the 964 cars. The stock power sport seats weigh about 50-55lbs each. The Pole Positions weigh in around 15lbs each. Big savings there.

Chris.

Old 02-03-2014, 07:44 AM
wlettau is on a distinguished road
Thanks. I originally started out with an all steel car. Added 6 point cage, methanol injection, and twin turbo.Car weighed 3,020 lbs. Wanted fast, so stripped all unnecessary items. All body panels are fiberglass, aluminum, carbon fiber, or kevlar; except for the trunk lid. So I do not have door panels per say but thanks for the info. Car weighs 2320 with half tank of fuel. Want to be under 2300 with full tank of gas. Have owned this car for 30 years, have 2 other Porsche's as drivers. Lost track of power as always trying to improve upon the car.

Old 03-24-2014, 04:25 PM
john rice is a splendid one to beholdjohn rice is a splendid one to beholdjohn rice is a splendid one to beholdjohn rice is a splendid one to beholdjohn rice is a splendid one to beholdjohn rice is a splendid one to beholdjohn rice is a splendid one to beholdjohn rice is a splendid one to behold
Honestly, you probably know more than most people here about this! I will say that you will lose a lot by replacing the front lid with carbon fiber. You might check on Pelican and the Technical 930 group. It is a lot more active with a lot of people doing projects.

Yours sounds like a lot of fun. I love mine and have modded it considerably. However living in California means.. "eternal smog" and that has held me back from doing a lot of things I might have enjoyed.

GL