thinking about picking up a 944 as a toy/project

Old 09-24-2014, 09:56 PM
ExclusiveTT has a reputation beyond reputeExclusiveTT has a reputation beyond reputeExclusiveTT has a reputation beyond reputeExclusiveTT has a reputation beyond reputeExclusiveTT has a reputation beyond reputeExclusiveTT has a reputation beyond reputeExclusiveTT has a reputation beyond reputeExclusiveTT has a reputation beyond reputeExclusiveTT has a reputation beyond reputeExclusiveTT has a reputation beyond reputeExclusiveTT has a reputation beyond repute
thinking about picking up a 944 as a toy/project

Budget is low since I plan on making it a project, so I am probably looking at a non-turbo as turbos are far more rare and way more expensive. The one deciding factor for me to jump on a n/a model now rather than wait and save up for a turbo is the look of the front end.

I absolutely cringe at the unsightly bumper setup on a n/a car vs. the clean look of the turbo cars.

Is it possible to convert a n/a 944 front to a turbo/951 front? If so, what does it entail? Is it cost-prohibitive to do it to the point where I should just save up for a turbo?

Thanks.

Old 09-25-2014, 03:21 AM
echristie is on a distinguished road
I have a cayenne and a panamera, bought a 84 N/A 944 from the original owner this summer. It is a great car and tons of fun, the panamera has been in the garage all summer! Do it.

Old 09-30-2014, 12:01 PM
ExclusiveTT has a reputation beyond reputeExclusiveTT has a reputation beyond reputeExclusiveTT has a reputation beyond reputeExclusiveTT has a reputation beyond reputeExclusiveTT has a reputation beyond reputeExclusiveTT has a reputation beyond reputeExclusiveTT has a reputation beyond reputeExclusiveTT has a reputation beyond reputeExclusiveTT has a reputation beyond reputeExclusiveTT has a reputation beyond reputeExclusiveTT has a reputation beyond repute
did Porsche ever make a 1990 convertible turbo S? Im looking at a vert (want a coupe) that is advertised as a turbo and has a turbo front end, but no badging whatsoever and no engine pics.

I would guess that it is just a regular n/a "S" in vert form, but would like to know why it has a turbo front end if it isn't a turbo.

Old 12-10-2014, 04:58 AM
Rob in Oz is on a distinguished road
Agreed that the 944T / 944S2 front ends are much handsomer than the standard N/A one. Unfortunately replacement is not a straight bolt-on proposition if using Porsche parts. The bumper as well as the two front fenders, as well as front undertray (Bat-wing) at least have to be replaced - not a cheap exercise. There is also an aftermarket front bar that was available, but again it's not a bolt-on proposition. I've had an '84 N/A, an '86 220hp Turbo, a '94 968 and a '90 250hp turbo S. I'm a bit biased and early on made the mistake of driving a Turbo while I still had my N/A. From that moment on I began planning to sell the N/A and find a Turbo - the rest is history. Boost is addictive and I love it...

Rob

Originally Posted by ExclusiveTT
Budget is low since I plan on making it a project, so I am probably looking at a non-turbo as turbos are far more rare and way more expensive. The one deciding factor for me to jump on a n/a model now rather than wait and save up for a turbo is the look of the front end.

I absolutely cringe at the unsightly bumper setup on a n/a car vs. the clean look of the turbo cars.

Is it possible to convert a n/a 944 front to a turbo/951 front? If so, what does it entail? Is it cost-prohibitive to do it to the point where I should just save up for a turbo?

Thanks.

Old 12-10-2014, 05:08 AM
Rob in Oz is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by ExclusiveTT
did Porsche ever make a 1990 convertible turbo S? Im looking at a vert (want a coupe) that is advertised as a turbo and has a turbo front end, but no badging whatsoever and no engine pics.

I would guess that it is just a regular n/a "S" in vert form, but would like to know why it has a turbo front end if it isn't a turbo.
According to "Porsche 924/944/968" by Peter Morgan, the last 250hp 944T Cabrios were produced for the US & Canada in 1989 (I assume you're in the USA), so it's quite possible to have a 1990 delivered 250hp convertible, but it can't be a Turbo S - they were coupe only. It could also be a 944 S2, which had most of the Turbo features, suspension and brakes, but a 3L N/A engine.

Rob

Old 12-10-2014, 09:51 PM
thanks rob. It was a 944 s2 vert that I was looked at. Seller listed it as a turbo S vert...