My Father's Tools

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-20-2016, 03:54 PM
Former Vendor
ridecache will become famous soon enoughridecache will become famous soon enough
My Father's Tools

My Father's Tools - Love them, but Time to Upgrade a Few!

I don't think of myself as "old", but I admit to being somewhat "old school" when it comes to tools and working on cars. I shared a post a while back about my father and some of the lessons he taught me about finishing a job (you can read it here). My father also taught me the value of tools. When I was very little, watching him work on cars in the driveway, the tools I remember were the Craftsman wrenches and screwdrivers he would have me fetch, the big torque wrench that just looked funny, and my favorite - the wooden creeper with the funny slanted wheels in the picture here.

My father on the "creeper" in his parent's garage in Amarillo, TX - early 60's.

My father passed away a few years back and I have now inherited those tools - I still use many of them regularly. I had to put new wheels on the Craftsman toolboxes, but those Craftsman wrenches are as good as they ever were. However, I must admit that I have chosen to upgrade a few things as new technology has come available. I keep that old torque wrench for historical purposes, but I really like my new digital version for getting those bolts just right to spec. And as much fun as I had on that creeper, being able to stand and work on a car on a hydraulic lift is heaven in comparison.

My father also had an old school organization system - a big shop desk where any and all paperwork got stuffed. When he passed away, I went through that desk and found some really interesting papers documenting engine builds, parts and repairs dating back 30+ years. Unfortunately, what I did not find was any documentation on the 302/351 he had just built and installed into the '74 Ford Bronco that I also inherited. I am still trying to decipher exactly what is inside that engine - it is definitely not "stock"!

So that is another one of my father's tools that I have upgraded - moving to RideCache for a modern, digital solution to organizing, managing and documenting all of the work I do on my cars. This has some significant advantages over the stuffed desk drawer, the ever common 3" binder, or even the more recent spreadsheet system I had started using. With RideCache I can easily search and find tasks, parts, papers and events across multiple cars, I get email notifications of tasks or paperwork that come due and all my records are securely backed up and archived - among many other advantages (read more here). And when the time comes, I can transfer it all to the next owner (likely my son) with one click.

What were some of your father's or grandfather's favorite tools?

We would love to have you give RideCache a try. RideCache is a paid software tool for serious car enthusiasts, but you can use it for FREE with one car. Get started here today.

Old 06-20-2016, 05:57 PM
cuemaster Is a GOD !cuemaster Is a GOD !cuemaster Is a GOD !cuemaster Is a GOD !cuemaster Is a GOD !cuemaster Is a GOD !cuemaster Is a GOD !cuemaster Is a GOD !cuemaster Is a GOD !cuemaster Is a GOD !cuemaster Is a GOD !
i wonder on here how many people even change their own oil. lots of checks being written here me thinks.

Old 06-20-2016, 08:06 PM
Former Vendor
ridecache will become famous soon enoughridecache will become famous soon enough
You are probably right - in my opinion they are missing out on the joy and satisfaction of doing their own work.

I am thankful that I had a father that was patient and gave me the confidence to work on things. It would be hard to have that confidence if I hadn't had his guidance.