991 Turbo S v. R8 V10 Plus

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-15-2014, 08:40 AM
2fast4exotics is on a distinguished road
Manual is gay for these supercars. These cars looks way cooler with dual clutch gearbox n paddle shift on steering wheels. Also it sounds a lot cooler while pdk is shifting really fast.

Old 04-15-2014, 08:55 AM
Banned
CALGUY has a reputation beyond reputeCALGUY has a reputation beyond reputeCALGUY has a reputation beyond reputeCALGUY has a reputation beyond reputeCALGUY has a reputation beyond reputeCALGUY has a reputation beyond reputeCALGUY has a reputation beyond reputeCALGUY has a reputation beyond reputeCALGUY has a reputation beyond reputeCALGUY has a reputation beyond reputeCALGUY has a reputation beyond repute
tts. It's a family car. 4 seats. LOL

Old 04-15-2014, 09:38 AM
bumpinjeep is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by ColdList
Interesting. Why is that?
To me, it is much less performance and I sort of feel like the R8 needs a redesign.
I would easily choose the TTS (and did) without question.
I think the biggest issue is that we are having this discussion because the cars are at similar price points. The bottom line is one car is a near exotic, mid engine'd, NA V10, Space Frame Aluminum Monocoque, super car. Its rare, sounds amazing, is available with a real 6 speed transmission, and looks like a millions bucks.
The other is a 911 variant.
The TTS has of course a lot going for it. It's a insanely fast straight line car. The carbon ceramic brakes are amazing. The transmission (auto only ) is the best in the business. Plus, I think the car is full of insane technology, but not at that price point.
This isn't a 959 (coolest car i've ever driven), its a 911.

Old 04-15-2014, 09:52 AM
Fkim011 has a brilliant futureFkim011 has a brilliant futureFkim011 has a brilliant futureFkim011 has a brilliant futureFkim011 has a brilliant futureFkim011 has a brilliant futureFkim011 has a brilliant futureFkim011 has a brilliant futureFkim011 has a brilliant futureFkim011 has a brilliant futureFkim011 has a brilliant future
I think the R8 is looking a bit dated inside and out.

Why not a used McLaren or Gallardo then?

Old 04-15-2014, 11:25 AM
FrstPorsche is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Fkim011
I think the R8 is looking a bit dated inside and out.

Why not a used McLaren or Gallardo then?
Agree. 3-5 years ago, R8 was at the top of its game. It's lagging right now. Is still a great car? Absolutely! We are debating 200K cars here not whether we should get a civic or corolla for reliability. Was looking at used McLaren prices the other day and they have really taken a tumble. A lot are well under $200K now. It's seems to me the GT3 is a more direct comparison to the R8.

Old 04-15-2014, 12:00 PM
Alan has a reputation beyond reputeAlan has a reputation beyond reputeAlan has a reputation beyond reputeAlan has a reputation beyond reputeAlan has a reputation beyond reputeAlan has a reputation beyond reputeAlan has a reputation beyond reputeAlan has a reputation beyond reputeAlan has a reputation beyond reputeAlan has a reputation beyond reputeAlan has a reputation beyond repute
[QUOTE=FrstPorsche;4091873]Agree. 3-5 years ago, R8 was at the top of its game. It's lagging right now.[/QUOTE

Incorrect - the R8 is at the top of its game right now - meaning that the 2014 versions are the best in the run of R8's. But the playing field has shifted and there is more/stronger competition and the car is lagging (e.g., infotainment system) for that reason . BTW as a past owner of a 993 turbo, 996 turbo and 997 turbo, I believe that the 993 turbo was the top of THAT game (by my definition of what "the game" is.) - my admittedly limited drive time with the 991 turbo did nothing to convince me otherwise. Each to their own, though.

Old 04-15-2014, 12:21 PM
ColdList is a splendid one to beholdColdList is a splendid one to beholdColdList is a splendid one to beholdColdList is a splendid one to beholdColdList is a splendid one to beholdColdList is a splendid one to behold
[QUOTE=Alan;4091914]
Originally Posted by FrstPorsche
Agree. 3-5 years ago, R8 was at the top of its game. It's lagging right now.[/QUOTE

Incorrect - the R8 is at the top of its game right now - meaning that the 2014 versions are the best in the run of R8's.
I think he meant to say Top of "THE" Game". R8 is definitely not there. Got sort of boring looking IMO. I know owners of them who love the way they drive. Ii have not driven one so I cannot speak to that but I find it hard to believe that they are not technologically lacking by now. Definitely have fallen behind in overall performance. Sort of like the Gallardo. Thus the Huracan.

Last edited by ColdList; 04-15-2014 at 12:25 PM.
Old 04-15-2014, 02:31 PM
Alan has a reputation beyond reputeAlan has a reputation beyond reputeAlan has a reputation beyond reputeAlan has a reputation beyond reputeAlan has a reputation beyond reputeAlan has a reputation beyond reputeAlan has a reputation beyond reputeAlan has a reputation beyond reputeAlan has a reputation beyond reputeAlan has a reputation beyond reputeAlan has a reputation beyond repute
[QUOTE=ColdList;4091936]
Originally Posted by Alan

I think he meant to say Top of "THE" Game". R8 is definitely not there. Got sort of boring looking IMO. I know owners of them who love the way they drive. Ii have not driven one so I cannot speak to that but I find it hard to believe that they are not technologically lacking by now. Definitely have fallen behind in overall performance. Sort of like the Gallardo. Thus the Huracan.
Can't argue about the R8 falling behind technologically - no 4 wheel steering, active aerodynamics or any of the other electronics that make the 991 turbo such an amazingly competent car. Where I live (NJ) and given that I cannot drive over 80 mph without hitting someone or getting arrested, all of that high speed competence is irrelevant. Your "fallen behind in overall performance" is a little bizarre considering that the R8 Plus is a 0-60 3.3 sec car. It matters whether a street car does 3.0 or 3.3 sec? - only for bragging rights. What is relevant is that the R8 is a wonderful driving car that most (and me) find still thrilling looking, fresh and exotic.

Old 04-15-2014, 02:35 PM
AJag Is a GOD !AJag Is a GOD !AJag Is a GOD !AJag Is a GOD !AJag Is a GOD !AJag Is a GOD !AJag Is a GOD !AJag Is a GOD !AJag Is a GOD !AJag Is a GOD !AJag Is a GOD !
I had an R8 V10 MT, phenomenal car and I miss it sometimes. Great engine, gated shifter, awesome looks, and very comfortable for a mid engine (near) supercar. My main dislikes were the attention it draws and a bit too much weight as well as dated electronics. I'm eagerly awaiting the next gen R8.

Old 04-15-2014, 03:10 PM
ColdList is a splendid one to beholdColdList is a splendid one to beholdColdList is a splendid one to beholdColdList is a splendid one to beholdColdList is a splendid one to beholdColdList is a splendid one to behold
[QUOTE=Alan;4092045]
Originally Posted by ColdList

Your "fallen behind in overall performance" is a little bizarre considering that the R8 Plus is a 0-60 3.3 sec car. It matters whether a street car does 3.0 or 3.3 sec? - only for bragging rights.
Not bizarre (although I am sort of crazy-lol!) It's not about bragging rights. It's factual performance data. .03 is an eternity and realistically the TTS will run 2.6. Thus...lacking in performance comparatively.

Again, I understand the "involvement". From what I hear that they are awesome to drive. I have not driven one so I take that to be the case.

Not knocking the car. Just asserting that they appear "old" to me which is HIGHLY subjective. Seeing the R8 cab next to a new RS7 at the auto show a couple f weeks ago, the RS7 looked like the "new" style. R8 just didn't pop like it used to to me. The RS7 drew a heavier crowd with it's more modern looking styling.

People will choose cars for different reasons. It's likely my next car will not quite have the crazy 0-60 launch like my TTS and I will love it for a different reason.

Old 04-16-2014, 04:56 AM
Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !
R8 looks great but never fancied it....it's an Audi, not Porsche.

On the other hand, never seriously looked at turbo/tts ...not a turbo fan ... 4s with most of boxes checks nearly crossed turbo price territory but never regretted ...it's NA engine without lag and great pse sound...and it's a Porsche

Old 04-16-2014, 06:09 AM
AJag Is a GOD !AJag Is a GOD !AJag Is a GOD !AJag Is a GOD !AJag Is a GOD !AJag Is a GOD !AJag Is a GOD !AJag Is a GOD !AJag Is a GOD !AJag Is a GOD !AJag Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Fester
R8 looks great but never fancied it....it's an Audi, not Porsche.

On the other hand, never seriously looked at turbo/tts ...not a turbo fan ... 4s with most of boxes checks nearly crossed turbo price territory but never regretted ...it's NA engine without lag and great pse sound...and it's a Porsche
Don't knock it until you've at least test driven it, it's unlike any other Audi. Great engine, transmission (manual at least, didn't drive R or S tronic), handling, and sound. Very linear NA powerband for the V10, much more low end torque than the NA 991s.

Old 04-16-2014, 08:23 AM
Originally Posted by AJag
Don't knock it until you've at least test driven it, it's unlike any other Audi. Great engine, transmission (manual at least, didn't drive R or S tronic), handling, and sound. Very linear NA powerband for the V10, much more low end torque than the NA 991s.
Because of the r8's relative rarity, many people who assume it's just another Audi have had zero, or limited time, actually driving the car. Chris Harris said it best when he test drove the R8 and stated that the top accolade he could give the R8 V10 was that it didn't feel anything like your typical Audi.

EVO said it best in the conclusion to their comparison of the V10 Plus to the 458 and 12C -

"It seems that rather like the Nissan GT-R, the R8’s only weakness is its badge. But to me that modesty only serves to make the V10 Plus even more special, for its appeal is built on something deeper and more satisfying than F1-assisted brand image."

http://www.evo.co.uk/features/featur...laren_12c.html

Old 04-16-2014, 09:54 AM
thebishman is a splendid one to beholdthebishman is a splendid one to beholdthebishman is a splendid one to beholdthebishman is a splendid one to beholdthebishman is a splendid one to beholdthebishman is a splendid one to behold
I owned a 2010 R8 V10 for about a year. The car rides fantastically with the most compliant ride on broken up roads of any high performance car I've driven; handles incredibly; (granted I had a more aggressive alignment done and played with the tyre pressures); is extremely rapid; has an exhaust note to die for; (a V10 screaming at 8K rpms is epic); and looks very special; (unlike any 911 variant which if we're honest is just thought of by the public as 'another 911'). Mine had the R-Tronic gearbox which I liked, but the new S-Tronic equipped cars take the drivetrain to another level as the S-Tronic is almost as good as the PDK. In many ways the R8 is still very much an 'analogue' type car when most of its competitors are far more 'digital' in nature, although the new version will no doubt copy the characteristics of the GT-R and 991 TTS. God knows the electronics need a damn good revision though.

Bottom line for me is that in every performance metric, the 991 TTS will dominate the R8, but a car isn't just about 'the numbers', it's about the whole experience and in that regard the R8 still beats the Porsche.

Bish

Old 04-16-2014, 10:12 AM
FrstPorsche is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by thebishman
I owned a 2010 R8 V10 for about a year. The car rides fantastically with the most compliant ride on broken up roads of any high performance car I've driven; handles incredibly; (granted I had a more aggressive alignment done and played with the tyre pressures); is extremely rapid; has an exhaust note to die for; (a V10 screaming at 8K rpms is epic); and looks very special; (unlike any 911 variant which if we're honest is just thought of by the public as 'another 911'). Mine had the R-Tronic gearbox which I liked, but the new S-Tronic equipped cars take the drivetrain to another level as the S-Tronic is almost as good as the PDK. In many ways the R8 is still very much an 'analogue' type car when most of its competitors are far more 'digital' in nature, although the new version will no doubt copy the characteristics of the GT-R and 991 TTS. God knows the electronics need a damn good revision though.

Bottom line for me is that in every performance metric, the 991 TTS will dominate the R8, but a car isn't just about 'the numbers', it's about the whole experience and in that regard the R8 still beats the Porsche.

Bish
Good info and analysis. Compare the R8 to new GT3 though and Porsche wins hands down because it excels in every point you mentioned about that the R8 has over the turbo. Plus the in this case the Porsche is cheaper than any v10 plus R8.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 991 Turbo S v. R8 V10 Plus