My 458 vs TTS

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-21-2014, 05:27 PM
CPIGUY has a reputation beyond reputeCPIGUY has a reputation beyond reputeCPIGUY has a reputation beyond reputeCPIGUY has a reputation beyond reputeCPIGUY has a reputation beyond reputeCPIGUY has a reputation beyond reputeCPIGUY has a reputation beyond reputeCPIGUY has a reputation beyond reputeCPIGUY has a reputation beyond reputeCPIGUY has a reputation beyond reputeCPIGUY has a reputation beyond repute
My 458 vs TTS

After feeling Ho Hum about the TTS's lack of performance, or at least seat of the pants lack of performance, my son and I did a little canyon run this morning. I can now officially say that the TTS is faster than my 458 in a straight line. We didn't push to hard o the twisties. I find it estonishing, but it's true.

The TTS is still a vanilla ride compared to the super fudge peanut butter crunch of the 458. But hey, Vanilla is still the number one flavor in the world and what I prefer on a daily basis

Old 06-21-2014, 05:54 PM
Steve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond repute
Faster in a straight line until what speed? The 2 cars are geared to achieve different terminal speeds. Acceleration differences can be attributed to gearing alone when one is geared to achieve much higher speeds. The TTS like many pretenders suffers from ill handling and brakes that fade radically after moderate use. It's not a complete performance car by any means. Certainly no where close to that of the 458. What's the Nurburgring times between the two. That tells quite a bit.

Old 06-21-2014, 06:02 PM
CPIGUY has a reputation beyond reputeCPIGUY has a reputation beyond reputeCPIGUY has a reputation beyond reputeCPIGUY has a reputation beyond reputeCPIGUY has a reputation beyond reputeCPIGUY has a reputation beyond reputeCPIGUY has a reputation beyond reputeCPIGUY has a reputation beyond reputeCPIGUY has a reputation beyond reputeCPIGUY has a reputation beyond reputeCPIGUY has a reputation beyond repute
My post was from a recreational standpoint. We just had the opportunity to open them up side by side 3 times at different speeds and the TTS pulled away each time. Nothing scientific. Just fun stuff between 2 incredible cars.

Glad I'm fortunate enough to own both

Old 06-21-2014, 07:12 PM
Steve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by CPIGUY
My post was from a recreational standpoint. We just had the opportunity to open them up side by side 3 times at different speeds and the TTS pulled away each time. Nothing scientific. Just fun stuff between 2 incredible cars.

Glad I'm fortunate enough to own both
Nothing scientific for sure. Next time try the Ferrari in a lower gear than the TTS since it's geared much taller. More fair. BTW, the Ferrari is over a minute quicker per lap than a TTS. 7:28 vs. 8:30. That's a lifetime.

Old 06-21-2014, 07:26 PM
AJag Is a GOD !AJag Is a GOD !AJag Is a GOD !AJag Is a GOD !AJag Is a GOD !AJag Is a GOD !AJag Is a GOD !AJag Is a GOD !AJag Is a GOD !AJag Is a GOD !AJag Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Steve997S
Nothing scientific for sure. Next time try the Ferrari in a lower gear than the TTS since it's geared much taller. More fair. BTW, the Ferrari is over a minute quicker per lap than a TTS. 7:28 vs. 8:30. That's a lifetime.
Uhhhhh...not sure where you got your info, but the 991 TTS laps the ring in 7:26.

Old 06-21-2014, 07:52 PM
str8-take is a splendid one to beholdstr8-take is a splendid one to beholdstr8-take is a splendid one to beholdstr8-take is a splendid one to beholdstr8-take is a splendid one to beholdstr8-take is a splendid one to beholdstr8-take is a splendid one to beholdstr8-take is a splendid one to behold

They both do it in around 7:30, for a point of reference a Boxster S circa 1999 does it in 8:30.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_N%C3%BCrburgring_Nordschleife_lap_times

Old 06-21-2014, 08:05 PM
Never mind. I wasn't thinking you were using Porsche slang--TTS (correctly known as the Turbo S). I thought you were talking about the Audi TTS; hence my perplexed view. Was also wondering why you were so proud of owning a TTS lol?

Old 06-21-2014, 08:54 PM
JFT911 will become famous soon enoughJFT911 will become famous soon enough
Never mind. I wasn't thinking you were using Porsche slang--TTS (correctly known as the Turbo S). I thought you were talking about the Audi TTS; hence my perplexed view. Was also wondering why you were so proud of owning a TTS lol?

This is .

Old 06-21-2014, 10:13 PM
Fixinbones will become famous soon enoughFixinbones will become famous soon enough
This is a Porsche forum! Lol

Old 06-21-2014, 11:02 PM
1BlinkGone is a name known to all1BlinkGone is a name known to all1BlinkGone is a name known to all1BlinkGone is a name known to all1BlinkGone is a name known to all1BlinkGone is a name known to all
Nevermind...

Old 06-22-2014, 06:01 AM
AJag Is a GOD !AJag Is a GOD !AJag Is a GOD !AJag Is a GOD !AJag Is a GOD !AJag Is a GOD !AJag Is a GOD !AJag Is a GOD !AJag Is a GOD !AJag Is a GOD !AJag Is a GOD !
Lol, I actually considered that is what you may have thought but dismissed it since we were in the turbo forum.

To the OP, you've got the perfect DD/weekend combo of sports cars, IMHO. Staggering performance between the two, which is remarkably similar, but drastically different methods of delivery.

Last edited by AJag; 06-22-2014 at 06:04 AM.
Old 06-22-2014, 09:40 AM
AndrewP is a glorious beacon of lightAndrewP is a glorious beacon of lightAndrewP is a glorious beacon of lightAndrewP is a glorious beacon of lightAndrewP is a glorious beacon of lightAndrewP is a glorious beacon of light

Not sure if this means much because the two cars are so different in practical and tactile delivery. The 458 is an extraordinarily desirable car.

Last edited by AndrewP; 06-22-2014 at 09:45 AM. Reason: reason for post
Old 06-22-2014, 10:21 AM
Yeah, I had seen this video. Just found it hard to believe based on the way the 2 cars feel. Had to see it with my own eyes. Love both cars and feel blessed to have them in my garage.

Old 06-22-2014, 10:30 AM
zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !
I would of expected the TTS to pull away in a more drastic fashion.

To the OP:
Calling the TTS vanilla is exactly what I would call it. I feel that if I get back in a 911 it would only be a GT variant of 3RS or the new 2. Have much respect for the TTS and feel it would be a great DD, but not the one I would chose.

The expression of your 458 was spot on also. There is something so special about a ferrari that can't be matched by the germans. For me it starts with holding that red key in my hand, knowing its in my pocket. Then walking up and getting in the car and pushing that red start button on the steering wheel to feel the engine come to life and make most passengers shutter like a little girl. Then hard and loud accelerations from 5000 rpm to 9000 will make most men giggle like little girls. Neighbors and friends are begging for a ride. This did not happen in my superior performing GT2.
You might say I have become drunk on the ferrari kool-aid.

Old 06-22-2014, 03:17 PM
DaveChapin is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by zzzspeed
Calling the TTS vanilla is exactly what I would call it. I feel that if I get back in a 911 it would only be a GT variant of 3RS or the new 2. Have much respect for the TTS and feel it would be a great DD, but not the one I would chose.
Having mine now for a few days, it's hard to imagine thinking of it as vanilla.

But then I don't live in SoCal, Miami, CHE, or UAE. Around here any 991 (but especially a GT3 or TTS) really pops.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: My 458 vs TTS