Picking Up 991 Turbo S -- Mod Recommendations

Old 12-19-2014, 08:07 AM
sdg1871 Is a GOD !sdg1871 Is a GOD !sdg1871 Is a GOD !sdg1871 Is a GOD !sdg1871 Is a GOD !sdg1871 Is a GOD !sdg1871 Is a GOD !sdg1871 Is a GOD !sdg1871 Is a GOD !sdg1871 Is a GOD !sdg1871 Is a GOD !
Thumbs up Picking Up 991 Turbo S -- Mod Recommendations

Hi everyone. I bought a new leftover 2014 991 Turbo S from Paul Miller Porsche in Parsippany, NJ and got a killer deal (General Sales Manager Paul Gavel and Salesman William Watters were a pleasure to deal with there -- no pressure and incredibly low price -- 991 Turbo S for 991 Turbo money).

Car is Basalt Black with two tone Carrera Red and Black Interior. I will post pics below. Will be taking the car this June and running the Goldrush Rally. Should be a blast to drive it cross country with some tracking. But car will be a daily driver and will often switch between it and my Renntech modded AMG E63 S sedan.

And now for the modding to begin.

Already settled on the following mods for sure:

GIAC Stage 2 Flash
Europipe Exhaust (ordered and expected in in late January)
Full xPel wrap
Clearplex on windshield
Laser jammers
Radar detector with display integrated into rearview mirror.
ADV005 Track Spec CS wheels for spring/summer/fall (Veyron stainless face, polished spoke windows and lip, 50/50 exposed hardware and titanium fasteners)

Am not from the Porsche world (lifelong BMW owner) so I am not sure what other bolt on mods make sense and who are the best manufacturers of them. Any suggestions? Given that the car will be a daily driver (already got winter tires for it) I do not want to do any mod that will compromise its ability to be a daily driver. More power is always great so long as it does not make the car rough to drive.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6263.PNG
Views:	373
Size:	1.31 MB
ID:	410133   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6267.PNG
Views:	369
Size:	1.33 MB
ID:	410134   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6264.PNG
Views:	346
Size:	1.29 MB
ID:	410135   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6266.PNG
Views:	296
Size:	1.34 MB
ID:	410136   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6268.PNG
Views:	254
Size:	1.20 MB
ID:	410137  

Last edited by sdg1871; 12-19-2014 at 08:17 AM.
Old 12-19-2014, 08:36 AM
Carjunky1 has much to be proud ofCarjunky1 has much to be proud ofCarjunky1 has much to be proud ofCarjunky1 has much to be proud ofCarjunky1 has much to be proud ofCarjunky1 has much to be proud ofCarjunky1 has much to be proud ofCarjunky1 has much to be proud of
There is no substitute!

Sunning combination! I love the basalt black over black/red leather and it looks like you got the choice options (premium package, sunroof, Burmester, etc.). I am sure your test drive left you knowing there is no substitute

One cosmetic recommendation is to replace the amber side marker lights with clear lenses. Dealers may do this at no additional charge.

My last recommendation is to drive the car and get to know it before modifying it.

Old 12-19-2014, 08:57 AM
sdg1871 Is a GOD !sdg1871 Is a GOD !sdg1871 Is a GOD !sdg1871 Is a GOD !sdg1871 Is a GOD !sdg1871 Is a GOD !sdg1871 Is a GOD !sdg1871 Is a GOD !sdg1871 Is a GOD !sdg1871 Is a GOD !sdg1871 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Carjunky1
Sunning combination! I love the basalt black over black/red leather and it looks like you got the choice options (premium package, sunroof, Burmester, etc.). I am sure your test drive left you knowing there is no substitute

One cosmetic recommendation is to replace the amber side marker lights with clear lenses. Dealers may do this at no additional charge.

My last recommendation is to drive the car and get to know it before modifying it.
Yes my test drive was great. My sales professional, Billy Watters of Paul Miller Porsche, let me take the actual car on like a 15 mile test drive with highways and back roads. The smoothness of the immense power delivery is unbelievable. So drama free and more appropriate for a killer daily driver than its competitors.

You read my mind about the clear "Euro" side markers lights. I asked my dealer to deliver the car with them.

I have modded other cars and I usually do so at delivery time to minimize the down time once I have the car.

Loved the color. Not what I would have picked if I had custom ordered it (probably would have done the yellow exterior with black leather interior with yellow stitching and gauge faces) but super nice. The deal on this was just way too good to pass up and a huge amount under invoice. That is, of course, because the 2015s were on the lot.

The car has been nicknamed "Redguts". LOL

As far as the options go it has some of the key options but lacks a few of those I would have wanted. It has the Burmester, the Adaptive Cruise control with Porsche Active Safe, ventilated seats, Porsche Entry & Drive, light design package, power steering plus and a steel sliding sunroof. It has no of the fancy interior customization stuff (leather everything, carbon fiber everything or contrasting stitching).

Had I built it, I would not have gotten the Adaptive Cruise control but would have added the power folding mirrors and the parking cameras. Living in the NYC area these are sort of essential. Am installing a backup camera aftermarket. The sticker does not show the Premium Package.

Last edited by sdg1871; 12-19-2014 at 09:02 AM.
Old 12-19-2014, 01:16 PM
tommyboy214 Is a GOD !tommyboy214 Is a GOD !tommyboy214 Is a GOD !tommyboy214 Is a GOD !tommyboy214 Is a GOD !tommyboy214 Is a GOD !tommyboy214 Is a GOD !tommyboy214 Is a GOD !tommyboy214 Is a GOD !tommyboy214 Is a GOD !tommyboy214 Is a GOD !
Congrats on the car. She is a beauty. It looks like a good list of mods. I posted the europipe feedback and a couple of quick videos in another thread. My only other feedback would be on the clearplex. I have had it done before and although it does work to save the windshield it scratches overtime and needs to be redone every 6 months to a year here in Texas due to sand and rocks.
My installer Norm stopped using it.

Old 12-19-2014, 01:32 PM
Originally Posted by tommyboy214
Congrats on the car. She is a beauty. It looks like a good list of mods. I posted the europipe feedback and a couple of quick videos in another thread. My only other feedback would be on the clearplex. I have had it done before and although it does work to save the windshield it scratches overtime and needs to be redone every 6 months to a year here in Texas due to sand and rocks.
Thanks for the feedback. Definitely want it as the car will be driving cross country at the Goldrush Rally.

Old 12-19-2014, 01:49 PM
ecpChris Is a GOD !ecpChris Is a GOD !ecpChris Is a GOD !ecpChris Is a GOD !ecpChris Is a GOD !ecpChris Is a GOD !ecpChris Is a GOD !ecpChris Is a GOD !ecpChris Is a GOD !ecpChris Is a GOD !ecpChris Is a GOD !
I would add the IPD plenum to your mod list. Will complement the tune nicely and is a great bang for the buck mod.
Nice car!

Old 12-19-2014, 02:15 PM
PMNewton Is a GOD !PMNewton Is a GOD !PMNewton Is a GOD !PMNewton Is a GOD !PMNewton Is a GOD !PMNewton Is a GOD !PMNewton Is a GOD !PMNewton Is a GOD !PMNewton Is a GOD !PMNewton Is a GOD !PMNewton Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by ecpChris
I would add the IPD plenum to your mod list. Will complement the tune nicely and is a great bang for the buck mod.
Nice car!
I still haven't seen any definitive data anywhere to back this up. I'm not attacking your opinion, just frustrated in general with the lack of information about the IPD plenum. I have seen a lot of "my buddy is about to install one and dyno before/after" and then, nothing... Even IPD's own website prattles on and on about their design expertise and manufacturing prowess but doesn't say a single thing about how much actual power the plenum adds.

- Patrick

Old 12-19-2014, 02:19 PM
PMNewton Is a GOD !PMNewton Is a GOD !PMNewton Is a GOD !PMNewton Is a GOD !PMNewton Is a GOD !PMNewton Is a GOD !PMNewton Is a GOD !PMNewton Is a GOD !PMNewton Is a GOD !PMNewton Is a GOD !PMNewton Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by tommyboy214
Norm told me the same thing. I'm going to try it anyway. I couldn't tell you the last time I used the wipers here in the desert. If I have to replace it every six months then I'm OK with that vs. replacing the windshield every two years. I suspect that the film itself can be corrected similarly to car paint. I can buff scratches out of clear bra with reasonable success. I will experiment with it and report back.

- Patrick

Old 12-19-2014, 02:20 PM
Former Vendor
Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by PMNewton
I still haven't seen any definitive data anywhere to back this up. I'm not attacking your opinion, just frustrated in general with the lack of information about the IPD plenum. I have seen a lot of "my buddy is about to install one and dyno before/after" and then, nothing... Even IPD's own website prattles on and on about their design expertise and manufacturing prowess but doesn't say a single thing about how much actual power the plenum adds.

- Patrick
Coming from a relatively neutral standpoint, I can tell you that the IPD plenum works. In our experience, we see very consistent gains of about 20 lb/ft of tq in the midrange with the plenum installed. The caveat is that it does tend to sacrifice about 10 peak hp in exchange for that increased mid-range. Depending on the individual person's driving style, that trade-off is worth it.

I promise, if it didn't work, we wouldn't sell it.

Old 12-19-2014, 02:58 PM
Originally Posted by Tom@Champion
Coming from a relatively neutral standpoint, I can tell you that the IPD plenum works. In our experience, we see very consistent gains of about 20 lb/ft of tq in the midrange with the plenum installed. The caveat is that it does tend to sacrifice about 10 peak hp in exchange for that increased mid-range. Depending on the individual person's driving style, that trade-off is worth it.

I promise, if it didn't work, we wouldn't sell it.
Thanks for that, Tom. I'm speculating that with a GIAC stage II and headers/exhaust, I personally wouldn't notice either +20 lb-ft or -10hp. I would like some of those race diverters for the 991 though. Can you PM me a price and part number? I can't seem to find them on your website.

I remember a rumor about ICs in the works too. That's something I would be very interested out here in the desert southwest and also as a pre-mod for any future turbo upgrades.

Thanks,
- Patrick

Last edited by PMNewton; 12-19-2014 at 03:02 PM.
Old 12-19-2014, 03:12 PM
Former Vendor
SupremePower has much to be proud ofSupremePower has much to be proud ofSupremePower has much to be proud ofSupremePower has much to be proud ofSupremePower has much to be proud ofSupremePower has much to be proud ofSupremePower has much to be proud ofSupremePower has much to be proud ofSupremePower has much to be proud ofSupremePower has much to be proud of
Congrats on the pick up!

I agree, the IPD Plenum is a must have. Another nice mod is the KW HLS if you have a lot of bumps. steep curves, or bad roads. I've attached a video if you're interested.

Another exhaust option is Cargraphics, premium welding and really deep, throaty sound. PM me for a sound clip with just the x-pipe installed.

Also, give us a call if you're still looking for this ADV1's. We can give you excellent pricing on wheels and tires.

Old 12-19-2014, 07:51 PM
Originally Posted by SupremePower
Congrats on the pick up!

I agree, the IPD Plenum is a must have. Another nice mod is the KW HLS if you have a lot of bumps. steep curves, or bad roads. I've attached a video if you're interested.

Porsche 991 Turbo Lifts Up with the KW HLS System - YouTube

Another exhaust option is Cargraphics, premium welding and really deep, throaty sound. PM me for a sound clip with just the x-pipe installed.

Also, give us a call if you're still looking for this ADV1's. We can give you excellent pricing on wheels and tires.
The KW HLS is interesting. Got pricing on that?

Already ordered the Europipe so I'm set on that.

Definitely interested in the IPD plenum.

I am all set on the ADV005 TS CS wheels. Ordered them and they are machining them now. Should look killer on the car.

Last edited by sdg1871; 12-19-2014 at 07:55 PM.
Old 12-20-2014, 12:35 PM
Originally Posted by ecpChris
Nice car!
Based on my research I am adding it

Old 12-20-2014, 03:41 PM
I'mAllIn has much to be proud ofI'mAllIn has much to be proud ofI'mAllIn has much to be proud ofI'mAllIn has much to be proud ofI'mAllIn has much to be proud ofI'mAllIn has much to be proud ofI'mAllIn has much to be proud ofI'mAllIn has much to be proud ofI'mAllIn has much to be proud ofI'mAllIn has much to be proud of
Beauty. Love the basalt black over red. Enjoy in good health!,

Old 12-20-2014, 03:44 PM
Originally Posted by I'mAllIn
Beauty. Love the basalt black over red. Enjoy in good health!,
Thanks! Yes I really like the colors -- especially the two tone red and black interior

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Picking Up 991 Turbo S -- Mod Recommendations