Which new R type tires should I buy?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-14-2015, 11:25 AM
Markblackwell Is a GOD !Markblackwell Is a GOD !Markblackwell Is a GOD !Markblackwell Is a GOD !Markblackwell Is a GOD !Markblackwell Is a GOD !Markblackwell Is a GOD !Markblackwell Is a GOD !Markblackwell Is a GOD !Markblackwell Is a GOD !Markblackwell Is a GOD !
Which new R type tires should I buy?

Looking for the stickest tires for my TTS, I will run DE and half mile events. I have 2 sets of wheels, Ive got P zero's on my 21" HRE's which are my daily drivers. Looking at sport cup 2's
Trofeo R and R888 does any one have experience with these tires on a TTS?

Old 06-14-2015, 07:35 PM
UAE991 has a brilliant futureUAE991 has a brilliant futureUAE991 has a brilliant futureUAE991 has a brilliant futureUAE991 has a brilliant futureUAE991 has a brilliant futureUAE991 has a brilliant futureUAE991 has a brilliant futureUAE991 has a brilliant futureUAE991 has a brilliant futureUAE991 has a brilliant future
Recently put Michelin Pilot Sport Cup 2s on mine, front and back. Love them, immediate difference felt, a tad bit stickier than stock Pirello P-Zero and more comfortable in my opinion. No noise and good overall so far.

However the stickiest tyres are R888s, and Trofeo Rs are just behind on that as well as Michelin Pilot Super Sport I believe. Only drawback from the Toyos are the noise and wet performance.

I would've went for Trofeo Rs but they weren't available in UAE unless it's a special order that'd take 60 days...

-Hamad

Old 06-15-2015, 05:23 AM
Dubai_TT is just really niceDubai_TT is just really niceDubai_TT is just really niceDubai_TT is just really nice
I would go with the Michelin Pilot Sport Cup 2. Perfectly usable on the road. Good tread wear and excellent traction. The Trofeo Rs are good for traction but the wear on them is horrendous. Toyo R888 if your gonna swap em out for your street tires (they are noisy as hell and as UAE991 pointed out, lack grip in the wet). I daily drive my car so I went with Michelin Pilot Super Sport, good grip (wet and dry) and great tread wear.

The stock P-Zeros on the car are awful. The impression I have of them is probably 30-40% less grip than my Michelins and 50% noisier and harder on bumps.

Old 06-15-2015, 05:56 AM
waltertm is on a distinguished road
Another vote for Michelin. They provide excellent grip and decent read life.

Old 06-15-2015, 12:15 PM
Former Vendor
Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !
Sport Cup 2's are a good choice...but I would still be VERY cautious about driving on them in wet conditions.

Old 06-15-2015, 01:14 PM
BigRich has much to be proud ofBigRich has much to be proud ofBigRich has much to be proud ofBigRich has much to be proud ofBigRich has much to be proud ofBigRich has much to be proud ofBigRich has much to be proud ofBigRich has much to be proud of
Hey Tom I'm still really torn on what tires to go with next. I do drive my car as a daily driver but rarely in the rain. Part of me thinks I would be fine with the sport cup 2's. I know the sport cup 2's are stock tires on different cars. Just been going back and forth between SC2's and the supersports... Still have plenty of tread life on my pirellis so I still have time to continue go back and forth lol

Old 06-15-2015, 01:34 PM
Former Vendor
Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by BigRich
Hey Tom I'm still really torn on what tires to go with next. I do drive my car as a daily driver but rarely in the rain. Part of me thinks I would be fine with the sport cup 2's. I know the sport cup 2's are stock tires on different cars. Just been going back and forth between SC2's and the supersports... Still have plenty of tread life on my pirellis so I still have time to continue go back and forth lol
I know a lot of people swear that they have no problem with Sport Cup 2's in the rain.

I can only tell you from my experience that I would not do it. The risk isn't worth the reward unless you live in a climate that gets little or no rain.

Old 06-16-2015, 09:11 AM
Basic Sponsor
Emre@Esmotor Is a GOD !Emre@Esmotor Is a GOD !Emre@Esmotor Is a GOD !Emre@Esmotor Is a GOD !Emre@Esmotor Is a GOD !Emre@Esmotor Is a GOD !Emre@Esmotor Is a GOD !Emre@Esmotor Is a GOD !Emre@Esmotor Is a GOD !Emre@Esmotor Is a GOD !Emre@Esmotor Is a GOD !
Trofeo R.

Best comfort, best grip Less wear resistance though.

100-200km/h: 2.16 sec
200-300km/h: 3.43 sec
60-130mph: 2.52 sec
100-150mph: 2.19 sec
Email: emre@esmotor.com.tr
Web: http://www.esmotor.com.tr
Instagram: http://www.instagram.com/esmotor
Old 06-16-2015, 02:12 PM
Markblackwell Is a GOD !Markblackwell Is a GOD !Markblackwell Is a GOD !Markblackwell Is a GOD !Markblackwell Is a GOD !Markblackwell Is a GOD !Markblackwell Is a GOD !Markblackwell Is a GOD !Markblackwell Is a GOD !Markblackwell Is a GOD !Markblackwell Is a GOD !
Thanks for everyones imput, I'm going with the Trefeo R, I will not need to worry about the rain as these will be my DE and airstrip set up only. Now I just have to see how long they will take to get.

Old 07-23-2015, 02:24 PM
Comes to find out trofeo's and MSPC2 are not easy to get, Ive have a set of Trofeos on order for awhile, going to Laguna Seca Monday so I went with what I could find so I have Dunlop Sport Maxx Race tires being put on as a write this,does anyone have any experience with these? and what would hot tire pressure be around 32-34?

thank you

Old 07-24-2015, 09:19 AM
RobRob is a splendid one to beholdRobRob is a splendid one to beholdRobRob is a splendid one to beholdRobRob is a splendid one to beholdRobRob is a splendid one to beholdRobRob is a splendid one to beholdRobRob is a splendid one to beholdRobRob is a splendid one to behold
Where are you guys getting these tires from, who has them in stock?

Old 07-24-2015, 10:09 AM
tommyboy214 Is a GOD !tommyboy214 Is a GOD !tommyboy214 Is a GOD !tommyboy214 Is a GOD !tommyboy214 Is a GOD !tommyboy214 Is a GOD !tommyboy214 Is a GOD !tommyboy214 Is a GOD !tommyboy214 Is a GOD !tommyboy214 Is a GOD !tommyboy214 Is a GOD !
Rob I looked into the Michelin's here in Dallas and the rears are on national back order.

Old 07-24-2015, 10:31 AM
Trofeo the Rears are on back order as well, I believe my guy got the dunlops from Tire Rack, the are quite a bit more expensive, but I will not track my car again with P-Zeros those tires are garbage for the track

Old 07-25-2015, 09:16 AM
AndrewP is a glorious beacon of lightAndrewP is a glorious beacon of lightAndrewP is a glorious beacon of lightAndrewP is a glorious beacon of lightAndrewP is a glorious beacon of lightAndrewP is a glorious beacon of light
P Zeros

Originally Posted by Markblackwell
Trofeo the Rears are on back order as well, I believe my guy got the dunlops from Tire Rack, the are quite a bit more expensive, but I will not track my car again with P-Zeros those tires are garbage for the track
OP has to get what is available if he wants to run R compound on Monday, so not much choice, although the Michelin Cup 2's are the clear choice of most.

Michelin has been on back order for the Cup 2's and Pilot SS's for the 991 TTS since early this year, so as good as they are, it is academic to me. I would need to buy two sets of either if I used them given the possibility of a puncture and the difficulty in sourcing a replacement, which is not the case with P Zeros. I have run my stock P Zeros on a few different tracks and although they do not handle heat especially well, once you dial in the right track pressure, they definitely communicate. Have ridden with pros on tracks in the 991 and Huracan fitted with P Zeros and while they may have had better times on R compound tires, they ran very fast and smooth laps. Does anyone wonder why Ferrari, McLaren, Porsche and Lamborghini fit P Zeros on their newest models? Oh right, they all have special promotional deals with Pirelli--NOT. Tires are the least costly major component on these cars, so it is unlikely that they want to compromise performance by fitting less than optimal tires on them. FWIW, the 991 TTS on P Zeros runs at least as fast as the 991 GT3 on Michelin Sport Cup 2's in the reviews and real time laps that I have seen.

Old 07-27-2015, 11:18 AM
wolfhedge Is a GOD !wolfhedge Is a GOD !wolfhedge Is a GOD !wolfhedge Is a GOD !wolfhedge Is a GOD !wolfhedge Is a GOD !wolfhedge Is a GOD !wolfhedge Is a GOD !wolfhedge Is a GOD !wolfhedge Is a GOD !wolfhedge Is a GOD !
Trofeo R > PS Cups >>> R888 >>>>>>>>>>>>>>> P zero

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Which new R type tires should I buy?