Cobb Accessport for 991 Turbo and Turbo S

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-07-2015, 03:02 AM
Basic Sponsor
COBB Tuning Is a GOD !COBB Tuning Is a GOD !COBB Tuning Is a GOD !COBB Tuning Is a GOD !COBB Tuning Is a GOD !COBB Tuning Is a GOD !COBB Tuning Is a GOD !COBB Tuning Is a GOD !COBB Tuning Is a GOD !COBB Tuning Is a GOD !COBB Tuning Is a GOD !
Thumbs up Cobb Accessport for 991 Turbo and Turbo S

Hello all! We at Cobb would like to take this time to introduce ourselves as well as the dynamic, user friendly, and thoroughly tested Cobb Accessport to the 991 Turbo and Turbo S crowd. We are here simply to explain what the Accessport has to offer. Touching on the sheer amount of R&D which goes into confidently releasing the product and our second-to-none customer service which has transformed Cobb into the company it is today. This post in no way will attempt to defame or belittle any achievements set by others, it is intended only to highlight our own achievements. Competition is healthy and in the end it only result in a better product for the end user. You! With competition comes innovation. Innovation that comes by the name of the Cobb Accessport and in the form of an easy to use hand held calibration tool with a built in datalogger, trouble code reader, map switcher, and live gauges. Including your ability to visit any Protuner in Cobb’s Protuner network and get any map custom tailored to your specific modifications, fuel, or driving style. With the ability to uninstall for dealer visits in a matter of minutes from the comfort of your own garage.

Many years ago Cobb noticed the need for an easy to use handheld device in the Porsche market, one which packs a very potent Off-The-Shelf (OTS) calibration lineup for a variety of fuels and modification levels as well as the ability for custom calibrations. We didn’t rush the project and waited until we were absolutely confident we had the resources and time to fully commit to making it the best tuning option for Porsche, period. With over 6 platforms added and supported over the past 20 months we have been very busy to say the least. 991 Turbo and Turbo S are our latest additions, and with other future platform releases already planned we have no intentions of stopping here. With the overwhelming number of happy customers in the Porsche market we have no reason to stop, and judging by our high Porsche sales you guys don’t want us to either!

Out of the box the Accessport can be installed in a matter of minutes, from the comfort of your own garage and it doesn’t take a tech genius to do it. Simple on screen prompts guide you through the steps for an easy install. Each calibration that comes preinstalled on the Accessport is available with both a short and long descriptions outlining which part combination and fuel that particular calibration is tailored for. Map notes are attached to this post as well. Hook up a battery tender, install the Accessport, pick the calibration which suits your modifications and fuel best, and be on your way in less than 15 minutes. No shops to visit, unless you choose to. Uninstall is just as easy if you’d like to take it to the dealer, or perhaps you are selling the car and you would like to recoup some of the money spent on your device. You can resell the Accessport. We offer the same level of customer support to 2nd, 3rd, or 4th owner as we do the original. If you own an Accessport regardless of where you bought it we will help you!

Our customer support is second-to-none in the industry, and is a very large reason why Cobb has expanded from Trey Cobb working solo in 1999 to a 100+ employee operation in 2015! Simply put, if you need us we are there! And we have thousands of customers across many platforms who will whole heartedly agree. Just ask any Cobb customer on this forum alone and you can see for yourself! If you ever have any questions, issues, or just want validation on a datalog taken on the built-in datalogger we are always available. Often answering emails within minutes during business hours and at the very most 24 hours if received afterhours or on a weekend. Feel free to email myself Jon.Hebbeln@CobbTuning.com, Mitch Mitch.Mckee@CobbTuning.com, or our Porsche expert group Porsche.Experts@CobbTuning.com any time with any questions you may have!

Why do we want you to contact us with any questions, logs, or requests? Simple, the data we collect helps us improve our already robust products. Releasing a thoroughly tested Accessport is only the start for us in our never ending quest for perfection. We are always striving to obtain and share data in an effort to improve our own product and advance the aftermarket as a whole. We also take that data into consideration when adding new tables and refining our calibrations. New tables and features are added regularly with no additional charge. We are rolling out with the ability to left foot brake in both the 991 Turbo and Turbo S. The Standard 991 Turbo model OTS maps will also come with a raised rev limit from 7000RPM to 7200RPM to match that of the Turbo S. If there is a feature you guys would like to see let us know. If the idea is feasible and the demand is high enough we will get it done for you. For example the 997.1TT guys have been asking for boost off the line to increase boost pressure before launching their cars to get a better 60ft time. As well as the ability to use upgraded MAP sensors which allow the ECU to read a higher boost pressure. We listened and are releasing that feature for them this month. Transparency is our goal and the use of “smoke and mirrors” is absent in our processes. There are obviously trade secrets which must remain internal but we are always willing to offer up some guidance, even going as far as giving friendly industry competition hints on how we do things and how we have accomplished so much in so little time. At the end of the day much of our success stems from one key element. Data. Raw, empirical, real world data! And we go to great lengths to gather this data. There is a data cache that touches on what we do daily at the end of this post for those who are interested. Below is a current list of all the dataloggable parameters.

All of our calibrations have been thoroughly tested in varying extremes over the past four months. We have personally traveled from the hot humid tropics of the Caribbean in Puerto Rico to the arid deserts of the Mojave. Even above 14,000 feet, with below freezing temperatures at the summit of Pikes Peak, the Accessport has thrived and proven itself with race winning results. We have had three full time engineers and a calibrator sifting through all that information the past four months. My datalog folder alone contains 2.62 gigabytes of text only .csv datalog data, or roughly 47.47 hours of logs, if that gives you an idea. After all of this you could say data is not something we are short on and it shows.

This is a three part series so if you have time I’d recommend watching the other two parts to get a better feel for the Accessport and an in depth look at what exactly it and Cobb can do! Don’t mind the two giant goofy looking dudes. Also I can assure you Mitch and I are not brothers.

Not only did we take first in Time Attack 2 with the 991 Turbo S, we set the class record and we had another Accessport equipped 997.2 Turbo S take second. Pikes Peak is known as one of the most demanding courses in the world covering 12.42 miles with 156 turns and 4,720 feet of elevation change ending at the summit (14,110 feet). Accessport equipped Porsches finished 1st and 2nd! A large part of our success was due to our ability to make on mountain changes with our custom tuning software. We would set the Accessport up for a datalog for a practice run, then pull the data out when the car came down, review it, make on the fly changes if necessary, flash in a new calibration and send it up again. It was a seamless process and our quick data turn around translated in to more practice sessions for the drivers. There is a datalog attached to this post that is from a practice run at Pikes Peak. We had a mix of E98 and 101 Octane to create a custom E30 Mix which we tailored a custom calibration for on the mountain. We had the best driver, best team, best car, and best calibration in our class that day and our results prove it! Big thank you to David Donner(Driver), Dave Petitti(Crew Chief), Soren Loree(Crew), Scott Krugman(Crew), Sean Cridland(Photographer) and Porsche of Colorado Springs!

These results would have never been achieved without the ability to custom tune. The Accessport does come pre-loaded with our very potent OTS maps with fantastic results. However, many of you know and understand that no two cars are the same and for this reason we must leave our OTS tunes on the safe side. It is not ethical for us to tune our shop cars to the brink of heavy knock and send that calibration out to consumers. We tend to err on the side of caution. Although we do have every individual cylinder knock threshold table defined and in our software we do not alter them. We see no reason to touch them on a stock motor, and trust that the highly paid engineers at Porsche got that right .

Below is a glimpse at knock sensitivity tables for cylinder 2 in our AccessTuner Pro Software. Stock is on the left, Stage2 ACN91 OTS map is on the right. Notice any difference? Neither do I All knock tables are untouched. We want real world data! Not data forged in a dreamland composed of raised knock thresholds and false owner confidence.

Our OTS calibrations do make a significant increase in power that is generally enough for most, but they must remain on the safe side and some further power will likely be extracted via a protune catered for your specific car. We have a trusted network of Protuners for our Porsche platform and any of them should be able to handle your requests if the need arises. BBi has been instrumental in our progress. They are stand up guys who know what it takes to win. Thank you Betim, Joey, Jared, Tony, Jerry, and Amy. IPD has also been wonderfully helpful, Thank you TurboMike and Greg!

A list of Protuners can be found here! With more being added weekly. If you are a certified Porsche Protuner and do not see yourself on this list please contact us immediately!

Our tuner network is made up of teams from extremely talented shops from all over world and the list is much more exclusive than our traditional network. We put on tuning seminars and invite our trusted tuners to attend and receive tuning techniques on the latest Porsche platforms we release as well as refreshers on older Porsche platforms. Our most recent Porsche tuning seminar was only two weeks ago in Southern California where we had a shade over 25 top level tuners show up. They are well educated and armed with the ability to perform a fantastic custom tune using our versatile custom software.

Currently we offer software called AccessTuner Pro to our protuners which is also what Mitch and I use in house. This software is always evolving with new tables and features. At our current state Mitch has 157 tables defined which all serve their own individual purpose in providing a proper calibration. I believe it is true that a custom tune is only as good as the calibrator and in this case we have a very well defined group of damn good calibrators.

Over the past 20 months we have been playing catch up and releasing our product into a Porsche market which already had tuning solutions available but that market appeared to be missing a certain piece to the puzzle. We have introduced that missing puzzle piece in the form of a very easy to use, multifaceted flashing device with built in datalogging. Thus we have hastily converted many users and very quickly taken large chucks of those markets. We are taking the reins! Expect big things from us over the upcoming years!

Thanks for reading! If you have any questions regarding this product or any product Cobb supports feel free to contact us at any time.

Cobb Tuning Porsche Accessport

-Jon & Mitch

Jon.Hebbeln@Cobbtuning.com Mitch.Mckee@Cobbtuning.com

Now on to some fun stuff and a glimpse into our daily R&D life:
991 Exhaust Back Pressure vs Boost Pressure - Boost is Pink, EMAP is Orange

Datalog from Pikes Peak testing. From Devil's Playground to Summit-
Log has also been attached for those who are curious- Log was taken with the Accessport.

Attached Files
File Type: docx

PORSCHE EXPERT GROUP - TIM BAILEY | JARED BRONSON | GRANT EPHROSS | ANDREW SCHWARZKOPF | HJ LEE

COBBTUNING.COM | LIKE US ON FACEBOOK | SEARCH KNOWLEDGE BASE | CONTACT US

Last edited by COBB Tuning; 08-08-2015 at 10:39 PM. Reason: Small grammatical error
Old 08-07-2015, 08:18 AM
GT3Fan24 Is a GOD !GT3Fan24 Is a GOD !GT3Fan24 Is a GOD !GT3Fan24 Is a GOD !GT3Fan24 Is a GOD !GT3Fan24 Is a GOD !GT3Fan24 Is a GOD !GT3Fan24 Is a GOD !GT3Fan24 Is a GOD !GT3Fan24 Is a GOD !GT3Fan24 Is a GOD !
I am so excited you guys brought this out. I have used your AP for several cars. Been to the shop in FV and looking forward to installing one on my new car shortly. The ease of use and customer support is second to none. Cheers.

Old 08-07-2015, 08:20 AM
kodiakz is a splendid one to beholdkodiakz is a splendid one to beholdkodiakz is a splendid one to beholdkodiakz is a splendid one to beholdkodiakz is a splendid one to beholdkodiakz is a splendid one to beholdkodiakz is a splendid one to beholdkodiakz is a splendid one to behold
Nice job!!!!! Thank you for bringing this out

Old 08-07-2015, 08:45 AM
XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !
Great job as always guys! We're proud to be a COBB dealer.

Old 08-07-2015, 12:41 PM
Basic Sponsor
COBB Tuning Is a GOD !COBB Tuning Is a GOD !COBB Tuning Is a GOD !COBB Tuning Is a GOD !COBB Tuning Is a GOD !COBB Tuning Is a GOD !COBB Tuning Is a GOD !COBB Tuning Is a GOD !COBB Tuning Is a GOD !COBB Tuning Is a GOD !COBB Tuning Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Goin2drt
I am so excited you guys brought this out. I have used your AP for several cars. Been to the shop in FV and looking forward to installing one on my new car shortly. The ease of use and customer support is second to none. Cheers.
Let us know if you need anything and thanks for the support!

-Mitch

PORSCHE EXPERT GROUP - TIM BAILEY | JARED BRONSON | GRANT EPHROSS | ANDREW SCHWARZKOPF | HJ LEE

Old 08-07-2015, 03:40 PM
Banned
PertPlus has a reputation beyond reputePertPlus has a reputation beyond reputePertPlus has a reputation beyond reputePertPlus has a reputation beyond reputePertPlus has a reputation beyond reputePertPlus has a reputation beyond reputePertPlus has a reputation beyond reputePertPlus has a reputation beyond reputePertPlus has a reputation beyond reputePertPlus has a reputation beyond reputePertPlus has a reputation beyond repute
Well I am sold. Going to have BBi install this when they do my Akrapovic Exhaust for my 991TTS soon. Just got off the phone with Betim and am stoked. Dealer is flashing my car back to stock Monday (from GIAC) and looking forward to seeing what BBi and Cobb can do to my baby.

Old 08-07-2015, 04:08 PM
BLOWN SRT Is a GOD !BLOWN SRT Is a GOD !BLOWN SRT Is a GOD !BLOWN SRT Is a GOD !BLOWN SRT Is a GOD !BLOWN SRT Is a GOD !BLOWN SRT Is a GOD !BLOWN SRT Is a GOD !BLOWN SRT Is a GOD !BLOWN SRT Is a GOD !BLOWN SRT Is a GOD !
Was the GIAC tune not giving you what you wanted?

Old 08-07-2015, 06:05 PM
roncooper has a reputation beyond reputeroncooper has a reputation beyond reputeroncooper has a reputation beyond reputeroncooper has a reputation beyond reputeroncooper has a reputation beyond reputeroncooper has a reputation beyond reputeroncooper has a reputation beyond reputeroncooper has a reputation beyond reputeroncooper has a reputation beyond reputeroncooper has a reputation beyond reputeroncooper has a reputation beyond repute
Cobb Accessport for 991 Turbo and Turbo S

Originally Posted by BLOWN SRT
Was the GIAC tune not giving you what you wanted?

Something must be pretty serious for one to spend the money on a tune just to flash it back to stock to purchase another.

Old 08-07-2015, 06:10 PM
GT3Fan24 Is a GOD !GT3Fan24 Is a GOD !GT3Fan24 Is a GOD !GT3Fan24 Is a GOD !GT3Fan24 Is a GOD !GT3Fan24 Is a GOD !GT3Fan24 Is a GOD !GT3Fan24 Is a GOD !GT3Fan24 Is a GOD !GT3Fan24 Is a GOD !GT3Fan24 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by roncooper
Something must be pretty serious for one to spend the money on a tune just to flash it back to stock to purchase another.
Have you seen Pert go through wheels?

Old 08-07-2015, 06:36 PM
Banned
PertPlus has a reputation beyond reputePertPlus has a reputation beyond reputePertPlus has a reputation beyond reputePertPlus has a reputation beyond reputePertPlus has a reputation beyond reputePertPlus has a reputation beyond reputePertPlus has a reputation beyond reputePertPlus has a reputation beyond reputePertPlus has a reputation beyond reputePertPlus has a reputation beyond reputePertPlus has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by roncooper
I've had the tune on this turbo and it was carried over from my last 991 turbo. Nothing wrong at all, but I've wanted to have something that could be customizable from a reputable shop -- like a BBi -- and the GIAC tune when I got it last year was the only option I was down to go with. Now that I'm getting the Akrapovic exhaust with the catless link pipes, I want BBi to be able to adjust the tune accordingly to fit my specific cars mods. And if you've seen me go through wheels, trying a different tune is not a big deal.

Also, literally just seeing my friends new BMW M3 get flagged for unauthorized software from a piggy back tune has made me even more vigilant that I want something that allows me to safely go back to stock (or at least as safely as one could ask for). Obviously nothing is ever 100% when it comes to aftermarket tuning, but I like what I've seen from Cobb and heard from many reputable sources I'm close to, so much so that it makes the prospect of switching tunes very worthwhile to me.

Old 08-07-2015, 09:02 PM
BLOWN SRT Is a GOD !BLOWN SRT Is a GOD !BLOWN SRT Is a GOD !BLOWN SRT Is a GOD !BLOWN SRT Is a GOD !BLOWN SRT Is a GOD !BLOWN SRT Is a GOD !BLOWN SRT Is a GOD !BLOWN SRT Is a GOD !BLOWN SRT Is a GOD !BLOWN SRT Is a GOD !
What is 100% foolproof, is if you purchase another ECU and tune that one, instead of the original. Swap it back to the original should you need to take it in. That's foolproof and you won't get flagged. This came from the chief tech at the Porsche dealer I go to. I am not sure about Porsche, but I know on GM, Dodge and Ford, if you tune, it's flagged even when you go back to stock. A bit gets set in the ECU/ TCM etc...that isn 't wiped out when you revert back to stock. There are very few software guys that I know of that can unset those flags.

Old 08-10-2015, 09:28 AM
Basic Sponsor
Originally Posted by PertPlus
I've had the tune on this turbo and it was carried over from my last 991 turbo. Nothing wrong at all, but I've wanted to have something that could be customizable from a reputable shop -- like a BBi -- and the GIAC tune when I got it last year was the only option I was down to go with. Now that I'm getting the Akrapovic exhaust with the catless link pipes, I want BBi to be able to adjust the tune accordingly to fit my specific cars mods. And if you've seen me go through wheels, trying a different tune is not a big deal.

Also, literally just seeing my friends new BMW M3 get flagged for unauthorized software from a piggy back tune has made me even more vigilant that I want something that allows me to safely go back to stock (or at least as safely as one could ask for). Obviously nothing is ever 100% when it comes to aftermarket tuning, but I like what I've seen from Cobb and heard from many reputable sources I'm close to, so much so that it makes the prospect of switching tunes very worthwhile to me.

Looking forward to getting an AP on the car!

Thanks!

-Mitch

Old 08-10-2015, 02:23 PM
Former Vendor
SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !
+1 for the Cobb AP3 and entire team. We have done about 5 now and all my guys love it!

Old 08-11-2015, 03:12 AM
pasd181 has a reputation beyond reputepasd181 has a reputation beyond reputepasd181 has a reputation beyond reputepasd181 has a reputation beyond reputepasd181 has a reputation beyond reputepasd181 has a reputation beyond reputepasd181 has a reputation beyond reputepasd181 has a reputation beyond reputepasd181 has a reputation beyond reputepasd181 has a reputation beyond reputepasd181 has a reputation beyond repute
Have the Cobb tune installed, took the car on a three hour mountain run last weekend. The car performed flawless, what a difference.
Great job to the guys at Cobb and bigs thanks to Sambo for his help.

Old 08-14-2015, 03:44 PM
Basic Sponsor
Hey all, just wanted to give everyone a heads-up about an awesome update we just released!

Our Accesstuner Pro software now supports all 2014, 2015, and 2016 991 Turbo and Turbo S vehicles! This means any of our Protuners now have the ability to create a completely custom tune suited for your needs.

Reach out to any of our Porsche Dealers or Protuners to have your car custom tuned! You can find a list of those approved near the bottom of our Porsche Landing Page.

Marshall@COBB

Last edited by COBB Tuning; 08-14-2015 at 03:49 PM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Cobb Accessport for 991 Turbo and Turbo S