My 2014 991 turbo s receives champion's new intercoolers and the new giac stage 2 plu

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-12-2015, 05:17 AM
sdg1871 Is a GOD !sdg1871 Is a GOD !sdg1871 Is a GOD !sdg1871 Is a GOD !sdg1871 Is a GOD !sdg1871 Is a GOD !sdg1871 Is a GOD !sdg1871 Is a GOD !sdg1871 Is a GOD !sdg1871 Is a GOD !sdg1871 Is a GOD !
Exclamation My 2014 991 turbo s receives champion's new intercoolers and the new giac stage 2 plu

This week, Champion Motorsports installed its new upgraded intercoolers and the GIAC Stage 2 plus tune to match it.

While I won't post the dyno graphs of my car until Champion formally releases its upgraded intercoolers with the GIAC stage 2+ tune I will share key facts. We also found out that the IPD Y pipe will not fit the Champion IC kit and that the FVD headers I was going to install in the car made it lose power according to the testing on Champion's dynojet dyno.

My car, which was the Europipe exhaust with 100 cell cats -- as opposed to Catless -- gained, in peak horsepower and torque, 30 wheel horsepower and 44 lbs ft of wheel torque on 93 octane pump gas. Had I used race gas such as MS109, it would have gain approximately an additional 25 wheel horsepower. But that alone does not tell the whole performance story.

Specifically, there are points in the rev range where the gap between the horsepower and torque produced by the new ICs and GIAC stage 2 plus tune and the GIAC stage 2 tune is as much as 50 wheel horsepower and 64 wheel torque in my car. That is huge. Also, as I had hoped for, the gap between the power produced by this new GIAC stage 2+ and the stage two is quite large at the higher RPMs. This is clearly, as GIAC promised, the Stage 2 plus tune not aggressively dialing back boost and timing and high rpm's as it does with the stage 2 tune and stock intercoolers to protect the intake air temperatures from getting too high.

Champion did not get a chance to test the Tubi catless race exhaust on my car versus my Europipe with high flow cats because they didn't have one in stock. That is a test I definitely want done.

As to whether my car's heat soak at events is gone I will take it to events and let you know what happens.

On pump gas of 93 octane, the Champion development 991 Turbo S, which has the Tubi catless race exhaust, produced about 10 more wheel horsepower and 35 lbs-ft more wheel torque than car which is equipped with the Europipe exhaust with 100 cell high flow cats. So it looks like the cats are costing 10 wheel horsepower and 35 lbs-ft of wheel torque but that is only an approximation because Champion did not dyno my car with the Tubi catless race exhaust because none where in stock.

While at Champion I rode (as a passenger) in a Tubi catless race exhaust equipped 991 Turbo S with these exact mods during its shakedown ride to ensure that the mods were functioning correctly. There is no question that the Europipe exhaust is quieter in terms of sound levels but still lets you hear turbo and wastegate noise and popping in sport and sport plus on letting off the gas. The Tubi catless race exhaust is much louder on cold start up and its popping/backfiring in sport and sport plus when you let off a hard throttle is significantly louder than Europipe.

The IPD Y pipe does not fit the Champion ICs unfortunately. We tried it in my car and the carbon tubes exiting the Champion ICs do not fit the IPD Y pipe. So my car did not get the IPD Y pipe installed. My car has the IPD plenum and that fits just fine.

I also had Champion install a set of FVD headers (I picked up these on my own used: Champion did not sell them) and dyno hem. Unfortunately they lost both power and torque relative to stock headers. And they lost large amounts of horsepower and torque at lower-midrange RPMs. Needless to say I am not using them and went back to stock headers. To me those headers do not work well with a GIAC tuned/Champion intercooled 991 Turbo S. I have no idea if they would work better in a car with different mods.

In terms of the number The FVD headers dropped from stock headers in both peak wheel horsepower and peak wheel torque -- drops of 7 wheel hp and 14 wheel torque. But the bigger story is that there are very large drops from stock in the lower part of the rev range. For example, at 3850 RPMs the FVD headers made 32 less wheel horsepower and 44 less wheel torque than the stock headers.

I will post the Dyno graph as soon as champion makes its formal release of its intercoolers with GIAC stage 2+. The reason is that the graph with the stock headers is my car is with the stage 2+ and the Champion intercoolers.

I am really glad I sent my car down to Champion Motorsports. They are among the best in the business in the Porsche world. If I were out west I would have used GMG Racing or HG Motorsports. If you want the most power it pays to work with a tuner rather than just an installer. Not only did they test the headers as I asked them to but they worked with GIAC to created a custom tuned version of the Stage 2 plus tune for my car which was the product of dyno testing and datalogging my car that produced one more wheel horsepower and 10 more lbs ft of wheel torque than the standard out of the box GIAC Stage 2 plus tune produced in my car.

So my conclusion is that the results were excellent but the real proof will come at events.

Old 09-12-2015, 06:44 AM
PMNewton Is a GOD !PMNewton Is a GOD !PMNewton Is a GOD !PMNewton Is a GOD !PMNewton Is a GOD !PMNewton Is a GOD !PMNewton Is a GOD !PMNewton Is a GOD !PMNewton Is a GOD !PMNewton Is a GOD !PMNewton Is a GOD !
Totally awesome. Great writeup!

- Patrick

Old 09-12-2015, 06:51 AM
sdg1871 Is a GOD !sdg1871 Is a GOD !sdg1871 Is a GOD !sdg1871 Is a GOD !sdg1871 Is a GOD !sdg1871 Is a GOD !sdg1871 Is a GOD !sdg1871 Is a GOD !sdg1871 Is a GOD !sdg1871 Is a GOD !sdg1871 Is a GOD !
My 2014 991 turbo s receives champion's new intercoolers and the new giac stage 2 plu

Originally Posted by PMNewton
Totally awesome. Great writeup!

- Patrick
Thanks Patrick. Most of this information is scattered around and posted in my thread about visiting Champion Motorsports because these mods were coming out but I figured it would be easier and more useful for people who care about the topic to put it in one new thread. I spent a lot of time and effort trying to figure out my car's heat soak issue at events and hopefully this is the solution.

It was the heat soak issue more than anything else that motivated me to do these mods. I was getting quite frustrated by a car which was a killer on the first run and then a lamb on subsequent runs. Nor was I pleased by the fact that the car, while vicious till about 80 miles an hour from a stop, really seem to lose steam over that. It would keep accelerating sure but the rate was considerably slower as you could feel power gentle being dialed back by the ECU.

There is no way my AMG E63S even with the Renntech tune should have defeated it in the second and third roll races but it did.

The extra power is nice of course but that wasn't really what motivated me. I'm actually a little concerned that I may have added more power then even my pilot super sports can handle from wide-open throttle but we'll see soon enough.

Old 09-12-2015, 07:09 AM
shifter_ has a reputation beyond reputeshifter_ has a reputation beyond reputeshifter_ has a reputation beyond reputeshifter_ has a reputation beyond reputeshifter_ has a reputation beyond reputeshifter_ has a reputation beyond reputeshifter_ has a reputation beyond reputeshifter_ has a reputation beyond reputeshifter_ has a reputation beyond reputeshifter_ has a reputation beyond reputeshifter_ has a reputation beyond repute
hopefully that means they'll be shipping my ICs soon!

Old 09-12-2015, 07:19 AM

Originally Posted by shifter_
hopefully that means they'll be shipping my ICs soon!
You would have to ask Tpm.

Are you on the list to get one of the first ones? I believe the first wave is all spoken for but I don't know if you're part of the first wave.. I know they are working on making more but I don't know any details about it.

Old 09-12-2015, 08:16 AM
webcarconnection Is a GOD !webcarconnection Is a GOD !webcarconnection Is a GOD !webcarconnection Is a GOD !webcarconnection Is a GOD !webcarconnection Is a GOD !webcarconnection Is a GOD !webcarconnection Is a GOD !webcarconnection Is a GOD !webcarconnection Is a GOD !webcarconnection Is a GOD !
Any 60-130 numbers? or do you know if Champion did some kind of test besides dyno runs?

Last edited by webcarconnection; 09-12-2015 at 08:52 AM.
Old 09-12-2015, 08:38 AM
tommyboy214 Is a GOD !tommyboy214 Is a GOD !tommyboy214 Is a GOD !tommyboy214 Is a GOD !tommyboy214 Is a GOD !tommyboy214 Is a GOD !tommyboy214 Is a GOD !tommyboy214 Is a GOD !tommyboy214 Is a GOD !tommyboy214 Is a GOD !tommyboy214 Is a GOD !
SDG, I appreciate you taking the time to do the write up and let the community know how the mods perform backed by numbers. Its nice to have guys in the forums who are early adopters give feedback so the rest of us can make informed decisions when modding.

Thanks again.

Tom

Old 09-12-2015, 08:57 AM

Originally Posted by webcarconnection
Any 60-130 numbers? or do you know if Champion did some kind of test byside dyno runs?
I haven't raced it yet so no 60-130 numbers. Champion has dynoed my car in terms of before the extra mods and after. Gains of 30 wheel hp and 44 lbs-ft wheel torque up from GIAC Stage 2 -- both on 93 octane pump gas.

Last edited by sdg1871; 09-12-2015 at 09:44 AM.
Old 09-12-2015, 09:00 AM

Originally Posted by tommyboy214
SDG, I appreciate you taking the time to do the write up and let the community know how the mods perform backed by numbers. Its nice to have guys in the forums who are early adopters give feedback so the rest of us can make informed decisions when modding.

Thanks again.

Tom
Thanks Tom. I will certainly let everyone know how the car does in events and on the road with these new mods.

Old 09-12-2015, 10:00 AM
BigRich has much to be proud ofBigRich has much to be proud ofBigRich has much to be proud ofBigRich has much to be proud ofBigRich has much to be proud ofBigRich has much to be proud ofBigRich has much to be proud ofBigRich has much to be proud of
I have had all my cars modded by Champion Motorsport and have always been thrilled with their work. I do have to say I'm kind of disappointed in the hp/tq gains from the intercoolers. I was expecting something around 65hp/75tq. The "cooler air" from the upgraded intercoolers I thought would have greatly increased performance numbers especially with a upgraded ECU flash from GIAC. The other disappointment for me is that the IPD y pipe won't work. I would have thought Champion could have either got a prototype or measurements to make sure it fits their kit. I'll be interested to see how champions y pipe compares to the IPD y pipe. I'm still and always will be a huge fan of Champion but I guess with the length of time in development I had high expectations. Looking forward to reading more information as it's announced!

Old 09-12-2015, 01:35 PM
Nfall has much to be proud ofNfall has much to be proud ofNfall has much to be proud ofNfall has much to be proud ofNfall has much to be proud ofNfall has much to be proud ofNfall has much to be proud ofNfall has much to be proud of
Amazing write up!

Answered all my questions and I am going to ask specifically for your custom tune to match my EP.

Old 09-12-2015, 01:48 PM

Originally Posted by BigRich
I have had all my cars modded by Champion Motorsport and have always been thrilled with their work. I do have to say I'm kind of disappointed in the hp/tq gains from the intercoolers. I was expecting something around 65hp/75tq. The "cooler air" from the upgraded intercoolers I thought would have greatly increased performance numbers especially with a upgraded ECU flash from GIAC. The other disappointment for me is that the IPD y pipe won't work. I would have thought Champion could have either got a prototype or measurements to make sure it fits their kit. I'll be interested to see how champions y pipe compares to the IPD y pipe. I'm still and always will be a huge fan of Champion but I guess with the length of time in development I had high expectations. Looking forward to reading more information as it's announced!
While the peak gain on my Europipe car was 30 hp and 44 wheel torque the gain in the midrange was as much as 50 wheel hp and 64 wheel torque. My understanding is that the gains were larger on cars with Tubi catless race exhaust.

I was disappointed that the IPD Y pipe did not fit. Hopefully Champion's Y pipe will show good gains

Last edited by sdg1871; 09-12-2015 at 02:23 PM.
Old 09-12-2015, 01:48 PM

Originally Posted by Nfall
Amazing write up!

Answered all my questions and I am going to ask specifically for your custom tune to match my EP.
Thanks! Yes the custom version for my EP did gain an additional 1 hp and 10 wheel torque. Worth a custom tune

Old 09-12-2015, 02:24 PM
Michael_s has a brilliant futureMichael_s has a brilliant futureMichael_s has a brilliant futureMichael_s has a brilliant futureMichael_s has a brilliant futureMichael_s has a brilliant futureMichael_s has a brilliant futureMichael_s has a brilliant futureMichael_s has a brilliant futureMichael_s has a brilliant futureMichael_s has a brilliant future
Great job and write up. Can't go wrong with champion. They are great. Used the dealership for service when I lived in FL for my Cayenne.

Any pics of the install? Just curious to see.

Old 09-12-2015, 02:45 PM

Originally Posted by Michael_s
Great job and write up. Can't go wrong with champion. They are great. Used the dealership for service when I lived in FL for my Cayenne.

Any pics of the install? Just curious to see.
Thanks. Yes I Went with Champion due to their reputation as one of the best in the country and from recommendations of people who race their 911s.

I do not have pics of the install. Tom do you have any to post?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: My 2014 991 turbo s receives champion's new intercoolers and the new giac stage 2 plu