Installed Cobb Stage II and BY-Design Intercoolers

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-01-2015, 01:14 AM
White991TT Is a GOD !White991TT Is a GOD !White991TT Is a GOD !White991TT Is a GOD !White991TT Is a GOD !White991TT Is a GOD !White991TT Is a GOD !White991TT Is a GOD !White991TT Is a GOD !White991TT Is a GOD !White991TT Is a GOD !
Installed Cobb Stage II and BY-Design Intercoolers

After much thought I decided to change tuners and go with the Cobb AP. Several reasons drew me to the Cobb AP:

1) Relative ease with which to tune when adding bolt ons.
2) The ability to simply change maps to store up to 100 maps from their OTS map database or from any COBB tuner and quickly switch between them for any need.
3) The ability to record and monitor multiple data channels simultaneously for evaluation of engine performance. With real time monitoring.

Here is a list of mods:

Before:
Giac Stage II 91 Tune
IPD Y Pipe
IPD Plenum
EVOMS Diverter Valves

I had the car Dynod on a local Dynojet with the GIAC stage II tune (3 pulls) and then installed the Access Port with OTS Cobb tune Stage II. Both 91 pump gas tunes.

After:
Cobb Stage II OTS 91 Tune

Max gains(largest gap between two points)
Horsepower: COBB + 147.43hp
Torque: COBB + 205.84ft/lbs

Peak Gains(Highest values achieved)
Horsepower: COBB + 22.76hp
Torque: COBB +95.16ft/lbs

I cannot thank SamboTT enough for his product knowledge, performance and commitment to excellence!

By design Stage 3 coming and hope to pick up more power.

Last edited by White991TT; 10-01-2015 at 08:42 AM.
Old 10-01-2015, 01:34 AM
shifter_ has a reputation beyond reputeshifter_ has a reputation beyond reputeshifter_ has a reputation beyond reputeshifter_ has a reputation beyond reputeshifter_ has a reputation beyond reputeshifter_ has a reputation beyond reputeshifter_ has a reputation beyond reputeshifter_ has a reputation beyond reputeshifter_ has a reputation beyond reputeshifter_ has a reputation beyond reputeshifter_ has a reputation beyond repute
Those are really, really low GIAC numbers.

Lower than anything seen on the dyno on other cars.

Very odd.

Old 10-01-2015, 01:50 AM
White991TT Is a GOD !White991TT Is a GOD !White991TT Is a GOD !White991TT Is a GOD !White991TT Is a GOD !White991TT Is a GOD !White991TT Is a GOD !White991TT Is a GOD !White991TT Is a GOD !White991TT Is a GOD !White991TT Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by shifter_
Those are really, really low GIAC numbers.

Lower than anything seen on the dyno on other cars.

Very odd.
I was surprised and disappointed as well to say the least. Based on what I've seen reported the numbers were lower than I expected although the Cobb AP immediately corrected a great deal of whatever issue the GIAC tune was experiencing. Im extremely happy with the Cobb improvement and it pulls like an Airbus on takeoff. A somewhat surreal feeling of torque I hadn't felt before. I still need to sort through my set up and determine the issue to overall higher HP numbers. I have another dyno session coming up next week after i make a few additional changes.

Last edited by White991TT; 10-01-2015 at 02:00 AM.
Old 10-01-2015, 03:43 AM
Michael_s has a brilliant futureMichael_s has a brilliant futureMichael_s has a brilliant futureMichael_s has a brilliant futureMichael_s has a brilliant futureMichael_s has a brilliant futureMichael_s has a brilliant futureMichael_s has a brilliant futureMichael_s has a brilliant futureMichael_s has a brilliant futureMichael_s has a brilliant future
Wow... big difference. Possibly one of the other mods was holding back the GIAC tune?

As we have seen lately, I hope this doesn't cause mass arguing. COBB v. GIAC is getting crazy on here.....

Old 10-01-2015, 08:26 AM
Originally Posted by Obb
Intercooles play a huge role so this comparison isn't fair at all to giac without having the same mods on the car and simply switching tunes same day on the dyno.
To clarify, By-Design Intercoolers were installed after the dyno session. Both GIAC and Cobb tunes saw the exact same hardware. There was no difference in hardware between the first dyno pulls with Giac and flashing the Cobb ots stage II tune which took approx. 10 mins to flash.

I installed By-Design Intercoolers and returned to the dyno the next day for a cobb custom tune. The By Design intercoolers performed flawlessly keeping IAT's under 132 throughout the session.

Last edited by White991TT; 10-01-2015 at 08:53 AM.
Old 10-01-2015, 08:46 AM
jyupitt1 has a reputation beyond reputejyupitt1 has a reputation beyond reputejyupitt1 has a reputation beyond reputejyupitt1 has a reputation beyond reputejyupitt1 has a reputation beyond reputejyupitt1 has a reputation beyond reputejyupitt1 has a reputation beyond reputejyupitt1 has a reputation beyond reputejyupitt1 has a reputation beyond reputejyupitt1 has a reputation beyond reputejyupitt1 has a reputation beyond repute
I would be interested in hearing the gains from bydesign IC and cobb stage 3. What exhaust are you running?

Old 10-01-2015, 08:59 AM
Originally Posted by Obb
Initial post had a different before and after setup listed but ok thanks for clarifying.
Yes I corrected my first post as I could see how I wasn't clear with my time line. Thanks

Old 10-01-2015, 09:05 AM
Originally Posted by jyupitt1
I would be interested in hearing the gains from bydesign IC and cobb stage 3. What exhaust are you running?
Yes that dyno session is coming and is on the agenda. I'm running a 3 inch Speedtech with 200 cel HJS cats which I love. Im contemplating transitioning to the full By-Design stage III which has been devised and tested with the Kline exhaust.

Old 10-01-2015, 09:53 AM
Former Vendor
SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !
Hi N,

Thank you for the kind words. Something does seem off and #'s low on both tunes. Even after the intercoolers it wasn't really going up a lot. Sorry we ran out of time. Do some more logs and we'll see we discover more. Mitch and Jon have a lot of data to share to compare along with the other Stage 3 cars. I know that package is working very well. This is the fun part so enjoy.

I'm glad the cars so far stronger and it will only get better!

Last edited by SamboTT@ByDesign; 10-01-2015 at 09:56 AM.
Old 10-01-2015, 10:13 AM
Former Vendor
vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !
Thanks for sharing your results, these are the kind of tests we need for the never-ending tune debate

Old 10-01-2015, 11:53 AM
Basic Sponsor
COBB Tuning Is a GOD !COBB Tuning Is a GOD !COBB Tuning Is a GOD !COBB Tuning Is a GOD !COBB Tuning Is a GOD !COBB Tuning Is a GOD !COBB Tuning Is a GOD !COBB Tuning Is a GOD !COBB Tuning Is a GOD !COBB Tuning Is a GOD !COBB Tuning Is a GOD !
Just to clarify. This test was done at DSport, an impartial 3rd party facility, in Southern California on their Dynojet 424 Linx.

Cobb was only made aware of the test after it had been completed and we praise him for taking the initiative to perform these tests out of his own pocket for the benefit of the aftermarket community.

I'm glad you are pleased with the improvements and look forward to working with you in the future.

Thanks Nigel, If you ever need anything we are here for you!

-Jon

PORSCHE EXPERT GROUP - TIM BAILEY | JARED BRONSON | GRANT EPHROSS | ANDREW SCHWARZKOPF | HJ LEE

COBBTUNING.COM | LIKE US ON FACEBOOK | SEARCH KNOWLEDGE BASE | CONTACT US

Old 10-01-2015, 12:06 PM
Originally Posted by COBB Tuning
Just to clarify. This test was done at DSport, an impartial 3rd party facility, in Southern California on their Dynojet 424 Linx.

Cobb was only made aware of the test after it had been completed and we praise him for taking the initiative to perform these tests out of his own pocket for the benefit of the aftermarket community.

I'm glad you are pleased with the improvements and look forward to working with you in the future.

Thanks Nigel, If you ever need anything we are here for you!

-Jon
Thank you Jon! Funny how one thing leads to another and in that process discoveries are made and break throughs happen. Im so happy with the Cobb tune and love the added benefit of uncovering exactly what is happening under the hood with AP gauges. Going to the track tonight and sure ill get kicked out for going too fast in the 1/8th with no roll bar.

Old 10-01-2015, 12:22 PM
Former Vendor
Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !
Hi White991TT....just out of curiosity, do you mind asking the dyno operator where they are picking up the rpm signal?

With all due respect to everyone involved, there was clearly something wrong with the car during the first run. The shape of the curve and the overall power numbers are WAY off from normal. Looks to me like the ECU was intervening a ton during that run for some reason.

Last edited by Tom@Champion; 10-01-2015 at 12:24 PM.
Old 10-01-2015, 01:48 PM
Originally Posted by Tom@Champion
Hi White991TT....just out of curiosity, do you mind asking the dyno operator where they are picking up the rpm signal?

With all due respect to everyone involved, there was clearly something wrong with the car during the first run. The shape of the curve and the overall power numbers are WAY off from normal. Looks to me like the ECU was intervening a ton during that run for some reason.
Hi Tom,

Agreed and im going to try a few changes as we try and locate the issue. The torque numbers were manually figured as we couldn't reasonably access a pick up for rpm.

Old 10-01-2015, 02:05 PM
Former Vendor
Andrew@GIAC Is a GOD !Andrew@GIAC Is a GOD !Andrew@GIAC Is a GOD !Andrew@GIAC Is a GOD !Andrew@GIAC Is a GOD !Andrew@GIAC Is a GOD !Andrew@GIAC Is a GOD !Andrew@GIAC Is a GOD !Andrew@GIAC Is a GOD !Andrew@GIAC Is a GOD !Andrew@GIAC Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by White991TT
Hi Tom,

Agreed and im going to try a few changes as we try and locate the issue. The torque numbers were manually figured as we couldn't reasonably access a pick up for rpm.
That torque curve doesn't represent the shape of our calibration at all. Additionally, our calibrations will not go into sport mode at all without a dyno that has connected rollers and/or load like you see on the street. The stock chip does this as well. We do this so that the end user is able to retain variable modes at their disposal.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Installed Cobb Stage II and BY-Design Intercoolers