RedGutz Battles it Out All Day Long At DFC's Runway 1/4 Mile Event

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-05-2015, 01:08 AM
sdg1871 Is a GOD !sdg1871 Is a GOD !sdg1871 Is a GOD !sdg1871 Is a GOD !sdg1871 Is a GOD !sdg1871 Is a GOD !sdg1871 Is a GOD !sdg1871 Is a GOD !sdg1871 Is a GOD !sdg1871 Is a GOD !sdg1871 Is a GOD !
RedGutz Battles it Out All Day Long At DFC's Runway 1/4 Mile Event

Yesterday I spent the whole day doing quarter mile races at the driving force club's twice a year runway event in upstate New York.

The biggest news is that the horrific heat soak power loss I experienced at all of my speed events with the GIAC Stage two and stock intercoolers is gone! The champion intercoolers and the stage 2+ seem to have solved that issue completely. My trap speeds remained about the same throughout the day even though I ran for many hours without any cooling break at all other than the hour for lunch. In the runway event I ran in May my trap speeds fell by 6 mph after the first run. Cars that had torched mine at the runway event in May such as the Lamborghini Huracan were left in the dust this time by mine. Similarly I beat what is/was probably the fastest 911 in the club convincingly from a roll -- the custom tuned signal green 997.2 known as Bullslayer. I lost to him this time around from a dig in the early morning but I had serious traction issues with that my tires not being able to handle the power In the cold -- was pulling on his car the entire time that race but he got a huge lead from a dig while I spun tires for a while.

The car won most of the races she was in including beating a 950 hp turbo upgrade GTR, a E85 GTR, a Ferrari F12 Berlinetta (twice) and a Huracan (3 wins to one loss). She went 1 and 1 against a 997.2 TTS in the early morning -- won from a roll but lost from a dig (997.2 was using R888 r compound tires and hooked from a dig while I spun my wheels. Once I hooked I was pulling on him but he built up too much of a lead. Was ahead the entire race during the roll race).

Of most interest here the car won two out of three races against Cobb stage two tuned cars. The one race I lost to a Cobb car was of course the one the owner put up on YouTube and that occurred when I added a passenger and most importantly when my low fuel warning light came on. As I'm sure you know when that happens the ECU reduces power to prevent fuel starvation. http://rennlist.com/forums/991/83302...ack-no-no.html

So yes a Cobb car beat me once when I was in limp home mode. The other two times when my low fuel warning light was not on I won.

My races with the Cobb cars were in the morning. After lunch I put up my go Pro cameras and set forth below are the videos from every single afternoon race I had.

1. RedGutz Defeats Stock 991 TTS Cab

2. RedGutz Defeats FBO GTR

3. RedGutz Defeats FBO GTR again

4. RedGutz Defeat Dodge Viper

5. RedGutz Defeats Gallardo Superleggera

6. RedGutz Defeats Audi R8 V10 Stasis Supercharged

7. RedGutz Defeats R8 V10 Stasis Supercharged from a Roll

8. RedGutz Defeats Huracan from a Dig

9. RedGutz Loses to Huracan from a Roll (he jumped)

10. RedGutz Defeats Huracan from a Roll (I jumped)

11. RedGutz Defeats FBO GTR from a Dig

12. RedGutz Defeats Gallardo

13. RedGutz Defeats FBO GTR

14. RedGutz Defeats FBO GTR again

15. RedGutz Defeats Ferrari F12 Berlinetta

http://youtu.be/aSbFkB6gvjo

Last edited by sdg1871; 10-05-2015 at 09:19 AM.
Old 10-05-2015, 02:41 AM
Hamad Qtr is just really niceHamad Qtr is just really niceHamad Qtr is just really niceHamad Qtr is just really nice
Thanks for sharing your experience

I enjoyed watching your vids

Wish u had a video with the F12

Old 10-05-2015, 04:26 AM
sdg1871 Is a GOD !sdg1871 Is a GOD !sdg1871 Is a GOD !sdg1871 Is a GOD !sdg1871 Is a GOD !sdg1871 Is a GOD !sdg1871 Is a GOD !sdg1871 Is a GOD !sdg1871 Is a GOD !sdg1871 Is a GOD !sdg1871 Is a GOD !
Here is a comparative video of the Cobb stage 2 car that beat me when I was in a reduced power state (which I beat when making full power) and I racing the same stock 991 TTS cab. The Cobb car pulls away from the stock car slowly. I was making full power during that race (fuel status normal) and I obliterated the stock car.

Cobb Stage 2 vs Stock 991 TTS cab:

GIAC Stage 2 plus vs Stock 991 TTS cab

http://youtu.be/lVKTe6VVVyw

Last edited by sdg1871; 10-05-2015 at 04:29 AM.
Old 10-05-2015, 06:16 AM
Originally Posted by Hamad Qtr
Thanks for sharing your experience

I enjoyed watching your vids

Wish u had a video with the F12
Thanks. I do have a video of that. My friend shot it and put it up on Facebook. I'm asking him to give me the video so I can put it up here.

Old 10-05-2015, 07:10 AM
ecpChris Is a GOD !ecpChris Is a GOD !ecpChris Is a GOD !ecpChris Is a GOD !ecpChris Is a GOD !ecpChris Is a GOD !ecpChris Is a GOD !ecpChris Is a GOD !ecpChris Is a GOD !ecpChris Is a GOD !ecpChris Is a GOD !
Cool vids, looks like a neat event.
What is DFC?
Also, do you have any more info on the 997.2?

Old 10-05-2015, 07:20 AM
jmorgan911 Is a GOD !jmorgan911 Is a GOD !jmorgan911 Is a GOD !jmorgan911 Is a GOD !jmorgan911 Is a GOD !jmorgan911 Is a GOD !jmorgan911 Is a GOD !jmorgan911 Is a GOD !jmorgan911 Is a GOD !jmorgan911 Is a GOD !jmorgan911 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by sdg1871
Here is a comparative video of the Cobb stage 2 car that beat me when I was in a reduced power state (which I beat when making full power) and I racing the same stock 991 TTS cab. The Cobb car pulls away from the stock car slowly. I was making full power during that race (fuel status normal) and I obliterated the stock car.

Cobb Stage 2 vs Stock 991 TTS cab:

991 Turbo COBB vs 991 Turbo S CAB - YouTube

GIAC Stage 2 plus vs Stock 991 TTS cab

http://youtu.be/lVKTe6VVVyw

Scott,

I will make a separate post about my experience but I wanted to address some of your points:

1. Was there another COBB tuned car there? If not, we only raced twice, tied once and I beat you once.
2. I think your memory has been clouded. The consensus all morning was your car still has something wrong with it, you still lost to the 997.2 TTS from a dig and a roll. I was watching form the sidelines. I'm sure someone has it on video, I'll ask around.
3. You always seem to get the jump. I know you don't want to lose, no one does, but by getting the jump it doesn't make it a fair race. Many guys were commenting about that all morning. We're not in high school.
4. Your camera is set to record at a wide field of view. This make it look like your really putting bus-lengths on the other car, when in reality they are 1 car length behind.
5. Most importantly, MY CAR IS A TURBO, NOT TURBO S. I keep correcting you, but you still think I have a Turbo S. IT'S A TURBO on 93 octane. You were running race gas, correct? With race tune? Well that means a TURBO with COBB and Europipe on 93 octane beat your highly modified Turbo S on race gas. Let that sink in and then let me know if your not disappointed.

I'm not trying to make you feel bad, but don't go posting things that are untrue. It doesn't help anyone.

Old 10-05-2015, 08:26 AM
jmorgan911 Is a GOD !jmorgan911 Is a GOD !jmorgan911 Is a GOD !jmorgan911 Is a GOD !jmorgan911 Is a GOD !jmorgan911 Is a GOD !jmorgan911 Is a GOD !jmorgan911 Is a GOD !jmorgan911 Is a GOD !jmorgan911 Is a GOD !jmorgan911 Is a GOD !
BTW....not to add fuel to the fire....I'm DYING to see how your car does with a COBB tune. Seriously, I think your car would probably be the fastest 991 TTS given your mods and the added torque of the COBB tune.

Old 10-05-2015, 08:29 AM
Originally Posted by jmorgan911
Scott,

I will make a separate post about my experience but I wanted to address some of your points:

1. Was there another COBB tuned car there? If not, we only raced twice, tied once and I beat you once.
2. I think your memory has been clouded. The consensus all morning was your car still has something wrong with it, you still lost to the 997.2 TTS from a dig and a roll. I was watching form the sidelines. I'm sure someone has it on video, I'll ask around.
3. You always seem to get the jump. I know you don't want to lose, no one does, but by getting the jump it doesn't make it a fair race. Many guys were commenting about that all morning. We're not in high school.
4. Your camera is set to record at a wide field of view. This make it look like your really putting bus-lengths on the other car, when in reality they are 1 car length behind.
5. Most importantly, MY CAR IS A TURBO, NOT TURBO S. I keep correcting you, but you still think I have a Turbo S. IT'S A TURBO on 93 octane. You were running race gas, correct? With race tune? Well that means a TURBO with COBB and Europipe on 93 octane beat your highly modified Turbo S on race gas. Let that sink in and then let me know if your not disappointed.

I'm not trying to make you feel bad, but don't go posting things that are untrue. It doesn't help anyone.
Well the tone of your post is surprising. First your car is fast so kudos to you and Cobb.

I raced all morning long without a break but didn't have the Go Pros on. I wished I had them on in the morning as I did so many races that many are a blur. I had my camera on all afternoon so at least I was able to record those and I put them all up -- win or lose.

1. I thought there was another Cobb car there. But there were a lot of races and I didn't have my cameras on.

2. You are not correct about my races against the 997.2 known as Bullslayer. He beat me from a dig and I beat him from a roll. Ask him directly and he will confirm that.

There was indeed something wrong my with car in the morning. Lack of traction on launch control. Probably due to the cold weather and the power from the tune overwhelming the Pilot Super Sports. The owner of Bullslayer smartly ran r compound tires -- R888s. He said he loves them and they gave him a lot from traction from a dig. The race that I lost to him was from a dig and I had big problems getting out of the hole as my tires were struggling for traction. That is why we went from a roll the next run. And during the race from a dig once I hooked up my car was pulling on his. Again, don't take my word for it. Ask him.

3. As far as getting the jump sometimes I had it and sometimes I didn't. When I beat the F12 the first time, for example, I did jump. So we raced again and started even. Same result. (Of course I'd gladly ditch my car for an F12 -- just love that car). These races were for fun. The real competition is Wednesday at Atco were we will have a NHRA timing system so if you redlight you lose.

4. I set the camera for a view field of view so that regardless of the result, the viewer can see the other car. I believe Longboarder does the same thing. And no, most of my wins were not by a single car length but by many. The videos were from the afternoon and as I recall you did not see any of those races because you left the event at lunchtime.

5. I know your car is a Turbo. Nowhere in my post do I call it a Turbo S. And the badging and the silver colored exhaust tips make it clear that it is a Turbo and not a Turbo S.

As for the part of your post where you state, "You were running race gas, correct? With race tune? Well that means a TURBO with COBB and Europipe on 93 octane beat your highly modified Turbo S on race gas. Let that sink in and then let me know if your not disappointed." the tone is quite unnecessary. Yes you won one of our two races and that is the one you chose to post the video of. Your car is fast. The one of my car beating your car (it was not a tie as you posit and if it was please post it and I will stand corrected) appears to have been left by you on the cutting room floor.

As for race gas yes I was running it although during our race my low fuel light was on and I had a passenger. Did you have a passenger during our race that you posted?

If you would like to race my car more with actual timing and redlighting of anyone who jumps you are welcome to come to our Atco day on Oct 7. I will have no passengers and will cool my ICs off between runs with the water sprayer.

I know several Cobb cars are coming including a Stage 3 one with ByDesign ICs. We will get actual time slips and trap speeds. Would look forward to your attendance. I can assure you that my Go Pros will be on all day and I will post all videos win or lose just as I always do.

I always post the good things about the car and the bad. I post the problems I am having and the losses as well as the wins.

Last edited by sdg1871; 10-05-2015 at 08:33 AM.
Old 10-05-2015, 08:34 AM
wrs
wrs Is a GOD !wrs Is a GOD !wrs Is a GOD !wrs Is a GOD !wrs Is a GOD !wrs Is a GOD !wrs Is a GOD !wrs Is a GOD !wrs Is a GOD !wrs Is a GOD !wrs Is a GOD !
I honestly don't think these races mean anything but they are fun. It would be more interesting if you had some data logs. If you can run a drag race from a pro tree or even the amateur tree and win then good. However, the benefit of a dragstrip is that you get real data about your car and the one you raced. Reaction time is a big deal and if you get a jump but do it before the green light, you are red lighted and lose the race by default but you still get your ET and trap.

Old 10-05-2015, 08:38 AM
BTW....not to add fuel to the fire....I'm DYING to see how your car does with a COBB tune. Seriously, I think your car would probably be the fastest 991 TTS given your mods and the added torque of the COBB tune.
I am happy with the GIAC tune. It's plenty fast and I like the fact that it's very smooth and drivable. I have yet to drive a Cobb car so they may be as well. I will drive one at Atco as I intend to switch cars with some of my friends who are coming with cobb cars to experience the difference. We have the track to ourselves all day and there will only be like 20 to 25 cars

Last edited by sdg1871; 10-05-2015 at 08:52 AM.
Old 10-05-2015, 08:38 AM
Basic Sponsor
COBB Tuning Is a GOD !COBB Tuning Is a GOD !COBB Tuning Is a GOD !COBB Tuning Is a GOD !COBB Tuning Is a GOD !COBB Tuning Is a GOD !COBB Tuning Is a GOD !COBB Tuning Is a GOD !COBB Tuning Is a GOD !COBB Tuning Is a GOD !COBB Tuning Is a GOD !
[QUOTE=sdg1871;4409384]Of most interest here the car won two out of three races against Cobb stage two tuned cars. The one race I lost to a Cobb car was of course the one the owner put up on YouTube and that occurred when I added a passenger and most importantly when my low fuel warning light came on. As I'm sure you know when that happens the ECU reduces power to prevent fuel starvation. [/QUOTE

This is false.

We ran multiple practice sessions during Pikes Peak testing with the gas light on. Only thing that changed was a lower section time.

What this fellow probably experienced was a starved basket during a long sweeper. Ecu sensed the actual fuel pressure did not meet the demanded fuel pressure and saved it self. This would have easily been diagnosed with datalog if he had an accessport.

Last edited by COBB Tuning; 10-05-2015 at 08:44 AM.
Old 10-05-2015, 08:51 AM
Originally Posted by wrs
I honestly don't think these races mean anything but they are fun. It would be more interesting if you had some data logs. If you can run a drag race from a pro tree or even the amateur tree and win then good. However, the benefit of a dragstrip is that you get real data about your car and the one you raced. Reaction time is a big deal and if you get a jump but do it before the green light, you are red lighted and lose the race by default but you still get your ET and trap.
You're correct. That's my favorite event that that particular club does and it is just for fun.

There is stuff I did at that event that I would never do at a competitive event where we were taking times for the record. At a competitive event like Atco coming up on Oct 7. I will not be running constantly and will be cooling off my car and icing the intercoolers between runs with ice water from my water sprayer. And I will bring enough race gas so that I do not get a low fuel warning and reduced power. I will not be taking any passengers.

Runway event is just for fun and I've always had a great time at it.

Old 10-05-2015, 09:03 AM
[quote=COBB Tuning]
Of most interest here the car won two out of three races against Cobb stage two tuned cars. The one race I lost to a Cobb car was of course the one the owner put up on YouTube and that occurred when I added a passenger and most importantly when my low fuel warning light came on. As I'm sure you know when that happens the ECU reduces power to prevent fuel starvation. [/QUOTE

This is false.

We ran multiple practice sessions during Pikes Peak testing with the gas light on. Only thing that changed was a lower section time.

What this fellow probably experienced was a starved basket during a long sweeper. Ecu sensed the actual fuel pressure did not meet the demanded fuel pressure and saved it self. This would have easily been diagnosed with datalog if he had an accessport.
Ok I Had always been told the opposite -- that power is reduced. But you are the tuning expert so I stand corrected.

If that is the case then we were both running full power. Then the main difference was weight. The Cobb car had no passenger and I did and I am much heavier than the driver of the Cobb car. In the race that I won against the Cobb car I did not have a passenger.

Old 10-05-2015, 09:32 AM
shifter_ has a reputation beyond reputeshifter_ has a reputation beyond reputeshifter_ has a reputation beyond reputeshifter_ has a reputation beyond reputeshifter_ has a reputation beyond reputeshifter_ has a reputation beyond reputeshifter_ has a reputation beyond reputeshifter_ has a reputation beyond reputeshifter_ has a reputation beyond reputeshifter_ has a reputation beyond reputeshifter_ has a reputation beyond repute
the added torque of the COBB tune.
we've yet to see if those dyno numbers translate into anything real world.

in fact, if anything, wrs switched from FVD to Cobb Stage 2 and ran slower even though the dyno numbers would have you believe he would obliterate his FVD numbers.

I will have no problem switching to Cobb if it really is shown to be superior.

but at this point it's all assumptions and conjecture.

Old 10-05-2015, 09:41 AM
Well the tone of your post is surprising. First your car is fast so kudos to you and Cobb.

I raced all morning long without a break but didn't have the Go Pros on. I wished I had them on in the morning as I did so many races that many are a blur. I had my camera on all afternoon so at least I was able to record those and I put them all up -- win or lose.

1. I thought there was another Cobb car there. But there were a lot of races and I didn't have my cameras on.

2. You are not correct about my races against the 997.2 known as Bullslayer. He beat me from a dig and I beat him from a roll. Ask him directly and he will confirm that.

There was indeed something wrong my with car in the morning. Lack of traction on launch control. Probably due to the cold weather and the power from the tune overwhelming the Pilot Super Sports. The owner of Bullslayer smartly ran r compound tires -- R888s. He said he loves them and they gave him a lot from traction from a dig. The race that I lost to him was from a dig and I had big problems getting out of the hole as my tires were struggling for traction. That is why we went from a roll the next run. And during the race from a dig once I hooked up my car was pulling on his. Again, don't take my word for it. Ask him.

3. As far as getting the jump sometimes I had it and sometimes I didn't. When I beat the F12 the first time, for example, I did jump. So we raced again and started even. Same result. (Of course I'd gladly ditch my car for an F12 -- just love that car). These races were for fun. The real competition is Wednesday at Atco were we will have a NHRA timing system so if you redlight you lose.

4. I set the camera for a view field of view so that regardless of the result, the viewer can see the other car. I believe Longboarder does the same thing. And no, most of my wins were not by a single car length but by many. The videos were from the afternoon and as I recall you did not see any of those races because you left the event at lunchtime.

5. I know your car is a Turbo. Nowhere in my post do I call it a Turbo S. And the badging and the silver colored exhaust tips make it clear that it is a Turbo and not a Turbo S.

As for the part of your post where you state, "You were running race gas, correct? With race tune? Well that means a TURBO with COBB and Europipe on 93 octane beat your highly modified Turbo S on race gas. Let that sink in and then let me know if your not disappointed." the tone is quite unnecessary. Yes you won one of our two races and that is the one you chose to post the video of. Your car is fast. The one of my car beating your car (it was not a tie as you posit and if it was please post it and I will stand corrected) appears to have been left by you on the cutting room floor.

As for race gas yes I was running it although during our race my low fuel light was on and I had a passenger. Did you have a passenger during our race that you posted?

If you would like to race my car more with actual timing and redlighting of anyone who jumps you are welcome to come to our Atco day on Oct 7. I will have no passengers and will cool my ICs off between runs with the water sprayer.

I know several Cobb cars are coming including a Stage 3 one with ByDesign ICs. We will get actual time slips and trap speeds. Would look forward to your attendance. I can assure you that my Go Pros will be on all day and I will post all videos win or lose just as I always do.

I always post the good things about the car and the bad. I post the problems I am having and the losses as well as the wins.
Scott, I sincerely apologize if the tone was rude...I didn't mean it. I just wanted too address some of the points you mentioned in your initial post that I thought were misleading. The tone of what I was trying to say might have been misconstrued, again I'm sorry.

We are all doing this for fun, and especially for DFC, it's not competitive. I asked everyone I raced if they minded if I recorded, just to be sure I didn't upset someone. Last thing I would want is to upset a friend.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: RedGutz Battles it Out All Day Long At DFC's Runway 1/4 Mile Event