The ByDesign/Cobb Stage3 Results and the Precision Fit by ATXAutosport on the Install

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-28-2015, 09:12 PM
wrs
wrs Is a GOD !wrs Is a GOD !wrs Is a GOD !wrs Is a GOD !wrs Is a GOD !wrs Is a GOD !wrs Is a GOD !wrs Is a GOD !wrs Is a GOD !wrs Is a GOD !wrs Is a GOD !
The ByDesign/Cobb Stage3 Results and the Precision Fit by ATXAutosport on the Install

Well ATXAutosport did a great job putting in the ByDesign ICs so that they fit perfectly in the stock shroud. These ICs are amazing in how much heat they take out of the air. At the top of the runs they were pulling so much heat that there was water vapor being produced by the ICs. You can see it in this Youtube I took. If you are curious about this, it's called he latent heat of condensation and what it tells you is how much better the ByDesign ICs are than the stock. Of course I have some comparison pictures to include.

First the Youtube of the 553 whp run which was the max we got today because on the last run we had a problem with the Y-Pipe clamp coming loose and the run had to be cut short. However it can be seen that it's likely there is another 10 hp in that tweak, it was the last tweak that was a combo between Jon and Sam. That is the map in my car and this thing feels like a rocket.

The second two charts are bad pictures I took from the shop screen that show the dyno results for the comparison to boltons only before the ICs and Ypipe and after. That is running with just boltons in sport plus. Unfortunately we have to use my crummy pictures for this and there was glare on the screen so here goes. One view shows the peak horsepower and torque while the other tries to show the full shape of the curves. The Ypipe and ICs added 46hp on the high end of the power curve which is where you want it. We got 520whp with boltons only. Peak Torque is slightly better by 16 ftlb. The blue is the two new boltons and the red is with the original IPD plenum, FVD headers and FVD exhaust with 200 cell cats.

Now here is the Dyno chart that shows three different runs we made with tunes. The 543 is with the SamboTT by design 93 octane file and the 553 is the one with tweaks Jon added and the green one which would have probably been about 562 but got cut off at 532 was a collaboration between Jon and Sam to account for the FVD headers not being equal length as well as the effect of the 200 cell cats. Clearly I could get more by going catless but that is a problem for emissions here in Texas. The reason for the cutoff was that the clamp on the ypipe slipped and we had to go in and replace the connection and after that the car insisted on not working at full power until it had been driven and restarted. By then it was quitting time so that dyno run isn't going to be done. However, that map will be used as well as it's 100 octane counterpart on Friday night weather permitting and then on Sunday at COTA weather permitting.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	bydesignstage3.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	394.8 KB
ID:	431440  
Attached Images   

Last edited by wrs; 10-29-2015 at 08:05 PM. Reason: fix that latent heat reference
Old 10-28-2015, 09:22 PM
wrs
wrs Is a GOD !wrs Is a GOD !wrs Is a GOD !wrs Is a GOD !wrs Is a GOD !wrs Is a GOD !wrs Is a GOD !wrs Is a GOD !wrs Is a GOD !wrs Is a GOD !wrs Is a GOD !
Here are the pictures of the comparisons between the stock and new parts

There are comparison pictures of the ICs to the stock and the Y-Pipe to the stock as well as how the shrouds were removed from the stock and fitted perfectly to the new ICs. Very precise shop work to get this fit right.

The ultimate result is a car that never exceeded 140 IAT in any of these runs and last month when the old ICs and Ypipe were on the car the IATs were over 170. I am pretty excited about getting this thing out and seeing what it can do.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_25571.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	629.1 KB
ID:	431441   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_14951.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	564.0 KB
ID:	431443   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0553.jpeg
Views:	41
Size:	2.00 MB
ID:	431447   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0567.JPG
Views:	42
Size:	1.92 MB
ID:	431448   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0563.JPG
Views:	37
Size:	1.97 MB
ID:	431449  

Attached Images    
Old 10-28-2015, 09:52 PM
Visceral Is a GOD !Visceral Is a GOD !Visceral Is a GOD !Visceral Is a GOD !Visceral Is a GOD !Visceral Is a GOD !Visceral Is a GOD !Visceral Is a GOD !Visceral Is a GOD !Visceral Is a GOD !Visceral Is a GOD !
Good results. I'm curious about your use of the concept of latent heat of vaporization (sorry to rabbithole). It names the amount of energy that is sunk into enthalpy changing a substance from a liquid to a gas on top of the energy needed to raise the thermal mass through the temperature change. It's why we sweat to cool ourselves.

It only makes sense if you had liquid water somewhere... such as spraying the intercoolers? I'm a little confused how it applies without the introduction of liquid to the system somewhere.

Old 10-28-2015, 09:58 PM
wrs
Originally Posted by Visceral
Good results. I'm curious about your use of the concept of latent heat of vaporization (sorry to rabbithole). It names the amount of energy that is sunk into enthalpy changing a substance from a liquid to a gas on top of the energy needed to raise the thermal mass through the temperature change. It's why we sweat to cool ourselves.

It only makes sense if you had liquid water somewhere... such as spraying the intercoolers? I'm a little confused how it applies without the introduction of liquid to the system somewhere.
I think it's the water vapor in the air being condensed by the removal of heat from the air, like condensation on air conditioner coils.. I am just trying to remember this based on my two semesters of chemistry from 40 years ago as a freshman in college. We did not spray the intercoolers but I think what happens is that if you remove enough heat from the air, the water vapor in the air condenses and I think maybe it's properly called the latent heat of condensation, I may have misnamed the process. Water isn't in gaseous form in the air, it's present as a vapor and really those clouds are condensation due to removal of heat from the air. I may be describing that incorrectly.

Last edited by wrs; 10-28-2015 at 10:02 PM.
Old 10-28-2015, 10:14 PM
Former Vendor
SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !
Very cool William. You're a data monster! Can't keep up over here ha ha. Jon helped with a little magic regarding the headers and your car is making good midrange. I think your next run was going to be the one. IAT's were looking a little higher so we will definitely have to check the fan positioning. But actually I would not doubt at all that extra flow from the new map had your turbos working hard to compensate for the hose leaking/coming off until eventually it pushed off. That will raise IATs quickly. Some of these cars just fight to not blow those hoses off. Even factory.

I'm willing to bet that on your next trend I ATs will be lower in the numbers will be a little higher. That's a lot of horsepower for 200cel cats but definitely understand the need. Just a tad more and you are on point. I'm sure it feels great though!

Last edited by SamboTT@ByDesign; 10-28-2015 at 10:43 PM.
Old 10-29-2015, 04:04 PM
Banned
Thunder915 has a reputation beyond reputeThunder915 has a reputation beyond reputeThunder915 has a reputation beyond reputeThunder915 has a reputation beyond reputeThunder915 has a reputation beyond reputeThunder915 has a reputation beyond reputeThunder915 has a reputation beyond reputeThunder915 has a reputation beyond reputeThunder915 has a reputation beyond reputeThunder915 has a reputation beyond reputeThunder915 has a reputation beyond repute
Interesting
What was the baseline numbers?

Old 10-29-2015, 04:43 PM
jmorgan911 Is a GOD !jmorgan911 Is a GOD !jmorgan911 Is a GOD !jmorgan911 Is a GOD !jmorgan911 Is a GOD !jmorgan911 Is a GOD !jmorgan911 Is a GOD !jmorgan911 Is a GOD !jmorgan911 Is a GOD !jmorgan911 Is a GOD !jmorgan911 Is a GOD !
Congrats! Sounds awesome and great write up, thanks for doing this.

I'm sorry but can you simplify the actual numbers to make it easier to understand just how much power you gained? I remember seeing another post when you had the fvd tune. Would you be able to compile the data to show those dyno numbers, the Cobb, then ByDesign IC etc? That would be very helpful.

Old 10-29-2015, 07:53 PM
wrs
Originally Posted by Thunder915
Interesting
What was the baseline numbers?
Originally Posted by jmorgan911
Congrats! Sounds awesome and great write up, thanks for doing this.

I'm sorry but can you simplify the actual numbers to make it easier to understand just how much power you gained? I remember seeing another post when you had the fvd tune. Would you be able to compile the data to show those dyno numbers, the Cobb, then ByDesign IC etc? That would be very helpful.
I will do this by mod set since the graphs aren't all possible to put in one comparison chart.

I bought the car with the FVD exhaust and 200 cell cats back in Aug 2014 and didn't have a dyno done. I added the FVD headers, IPD Plenum and FVD piggyback in Nov 2014.

When I bought the Cobb AP in September 2015 and went in to Cobb the first time I asked them to get me a dyno for the existing configuration and then just the boltons without the piggyback before we put the Cobb tune on. Here are all the results from Sep 30th.

Sept 30th 2015
  1. FVD Exhaust, 200 cell cats, FVD Headers and IPD Plenum in sport plus --- 475whp and 519ftlpb tq
  2. FVD Exhaust, 200 cell cats, FVD Headers, IPD Plenum and FVD Piggyback in Sport Plus --- 494whp and 557ftlb tq
  3. FVD Exhaust, 200 cell cats, FVD Headers IPD Plenum and Stage 1 Cobb --- 493whp and 604ftlb tq
  4. FVD Exhaust, 200 cell cats, FVD Headers, IPD Plenum and Stage 2 Cobb -- 512whp and 625ftlb tq
  5. FVD Exhaust, 200 cell cats, FVD Headers, IPD Plenum and Custom Cobb Tune -- 524whp and 651ftlb tq

I ordered the IPD Y-Pipe and ByDesign ICs after seeing how much Champion ICs helped Scott's car. I got ByDesign because they work with the IPD Y-pipe and I wanted the Y-pipe because I have the plenum. I am glad I did because I think it's a tremendous combination. Here are the results from yesterday in that configuration without a tune and then with three different maps.

Oct 28 2015
  1. FVD Exhaust, 200 cell cats, FVD Headers IPD Plenum, IPD Y-Pipe, ByDesign ICs in Sport Plus --- 520whp and 557 ftlb tq
  2. FVD Exhaust, 200 cell cats, FVD Headers, IPD Plenum, IPD Y-Pipe, ByDesign ICs and ByDesign 93 octane OTS map --- 543whp and 633 ftlb tq
  3. FVD Exhaust, 200 cell cats, FVD Headers, IPD Plenum, IPD Y-Pipe ByDesign ICs and Cobb/ByDesign tweaked map 1 --- 553 whp and 635 ftlb tq
  4. FVD Exhaust, 200 cell cats, FVD Headers, IPD Plenum, IPD Y-Pipe, ByDesign ICs and Cobb/ByDesign tweaked map 2 --- maybe 563 whp and 646 ftlb tq

On the last run we had a problem after peak torque but before peak hp. The actual hp was 532 there compared to 510 on tweaked map 1. Just extrapolating at least 10 more whp out at the top but maybe as much as 20. That is the map I am currently running and the car feels insane. I didn't notice that much of a change until I added the Y-Pipe, ICs and this twice tweaked map. I can't wait to see how it runs at the strip and on the track. Keep in mind, I haven't tested the OTS 100 octane map yet and I don't think it's been tweaked. The 93 octane map blew that Y-pipe clamp loose it's so strong.......

Last edited by wrs; 10-29-2015 at 08:17 PM.
Old 10-29-2015, 08:05 PM
Banned
Thunder915 has a reputation beyond reputeThunder915 has a reputation beyond reputeThunder915 has a reputation beyond reputeThunder915 has a reputation beyond reputeThunder915 has a reputation beyond reputeThunder915 has a reputation beyond reputeThunder915 has a reputation beyond reputeThunder915 has a reputation beyond reputeThunder915 has a reputation beyond reputeThunder915 has a reputation beyond reputeThunder915 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by wrs
I will do this by mod set since the graphs aren't all possible to put in one comparison chart.

I bought the car with the FVD exhaust and 200 cell cats back in Aug 2014 and didn't have a dyno done. I added the FVD headers, IPD Plenum and FVD piggyback in Nov 2014.

When I bought the Cobb AP in September 2015 and went in to Cobb the first time I asked them to get me a dyno for the existing configuration and then just the boltons without the piggyback before we put the Cobb tune on. Here are all the results from Sep 30th.

Sept 30th 2015
  1. FVD Exhaust, 200 cell cats, FVD Headers and IPD Plenum in sport plus --- 475whp and 519ftlpb tq
  2. FVD Exhaust, 200 cell cats, FVD Headers, IPD Plenum and FVD Piggyback in Sport Plus --- 494whp and 557ftlb tq
  3. FVD Exhaust, 200 cell cats, FVD Headers IPD Plenum and Stage 1 Cobb --- 493whp and 604ftlb tq
  4. FVD Exhaust, 200 cell cats, FVD Headers, IPD Plenum and Stage 2 Cobb -- 512whp and 625ftlb tq
  5. FVD Exhaust, 200 cell cats, FVD Headers, IPD Plenum and Custom Cobb Tune -- 524whp and 651ftlb tq

I ordered the IPD Y-Pipe and ByDesign ICs after seeing how much Champion ICs helped Scott's car. I got ByDesign because they work with the IPD Y-pipe and I wanted the Y-pipe because I have the plenum. I am glad I did because I think it's a tremendous combination. Here are the results from yesterday in that configuration without a tune and then with three different maps.

Oct 28 2015
  1. FVD Exhaust, 200 cell cats, FVD Headers IPD Plenum, IPD Y-Pipe, ByDesign ICs in Sport Plus --- 520whp and 557 ftlb tq
  2. FVD Exhaust, 200 cell cats, FVD Headers, IPD Plenum, IPD Y-Pipe, ByDesign ICs and ByDesign 93 octane OTS map --- 543whp and 633 ftlb tq
  3. FVD Exhaust, 200 cell cats, FVS Headers, IPD Plenum, IPD Y-Pipe ByDesign ICs and Cobb/ByDesign tweaked map 1 --- 553 whp and 635 ftlb tq
  4. FVD Exhaust, 200 cell cats, FVD Headers, IPD Plenum, IPD Y-Pipe, ByDesign ICs and Cobb/ByDesign tweaked map 2 --- maybe 563 whp and 646 ftlb tq

On the last run we had a problem after peak torque but before peak hp. The actual hp was 532 there compared to 510 on tweaked map 1. Just extrapolating at least 10 more whp out at the top but maybe as much as 20. That is the map I am currently running and the car feels insane. I didn't notice that much of a change until I added the Y-Pipe, ICs and this twice tweaked map. I can't wait to see how it runs at the strip and on the track. Keep in mind, I haven't tested the OTS 100 octane map yet and I don't think it's been tweaked. The 93 octane map blew that Y-pipe clamp loose it's so strong.......
That's SOLID data
Goodluck in the dragstrip!

Old 10-29-2015, 08:14 PM
sdg1871 Is a GOD !sdg1871 Is a GOD !sdg1871 Is a GOD !sdg1871 Is a GOD !sdg1871 Is a GOD !sdg1871 Is a GOD !sdg1871 Is a GOD !sdg1871 Is a GOD !sdg1871 Is a GOD !sdg1871 Is a GOD !sdg1871 Is a GOD !
Great numbers and thanks for so much Dyno results.

Old 10-29-2015, 11:15 PM
webcarconnection Is a GOD !webcarconnection Is a GOD !webcarconnection Is a GOD !webcarconnection Is a GOD !webcarconnection Is a GOD !webcarconnection Is a GOD !webcarconnection Is a GOD !webcarconnection Is a GOD !webcarconnection Is a GOD !webcarconnection Is a GOD !webcarconnection Is a GOD !
Very nice numbers

Old 10-30-2015, 07:53 AM
wrs
Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrggggggggggggg gggggggggggggggggg!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

NO Drag racing but looks good for COTA on Sunday. Oh well, I guess if I can get to 165 on the back that will show significant improvement. Anyway, I will be using Harry's Lap Timer and have the integrated instruments with the video.

Attached Images   
Old 10-30-2015, 08:12 AM
sdg1871 Is a GOD !sdg1871 Is a GOD !sdg1871 Is a GOD !sdg1871 Is a GOD !sdg1871 Is a GOD !sdg1871 Is a GOD !sdg1871 Is a GOD !sdg1871 Is a GOD !sdg1871 Is a GOD !sdg1871 Is a GOD !sdg1871 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by wrs
Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrggggggggggggg gggggggggggggggggg!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

NO Drag racing but looks good for COTA on Sunday. Oh well, I guess if I can get to 165 on the back that will show significant improvement. Anyway, I will be using Harry's Lap Timer and have the integrated instruments with the video.
Oy. The weather is not cooperating with you

Old 10-30-2015, 10:35 AM
Visceral Is a GOD !Visceral Is a GOD !Visceral Is a GOD !Visceral Is a GOD !Visceral Is a GOD !Visceral Is a GOD !Visceral Is a GOD !Visceral Is a GOD !Visceral Is a GOD !Visceral Is a GOD !Visceral Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by wrs

Oct 28 2015
[LIST=1][*]FVD Exhaust, 200 cell cats, FVD Headers IPD Plenum, IPD Y-Pipe, ByDesign ICs in Sport Plus --- 520whp and 557 ftlb tq
First, thanks for all that effort. I realize that its one thing to stare at the graphs and come to your own conclusion, but another to communicate that to us in a useable format.

Above, on October 28, did you start the runs with a stock map in run #1? If so, that's a good bit of power on stock boost.

Thanks,
Chris

Old 10-30-2015, 10:38 AM
That would be a really amazing and exciting forecast here in Portland. Your forecast specifically says "Rain Ends". That's an unheard of concept here.

I like the AWD and stock ride height because of how it performs both on wet roads and in standing water

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: The ByDesign/Cobb Stage3 Results and the Precision Fit by ATXAutosport on the Install