Upgraded 991.2 Steering wheel on my 991.1 Turbo S

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-29-2016, 08:14 AM
Dennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by Goin2drt
I would do this in a heartbeat if I could also do the MF buttons. I was told it cannot be done. I guess maybe anything is possible.
+1

If somebody figures out how to do this, then I'd buy one.

Old 12-29-2016, 09:21 AM
Nfall has much to be proud ofNfall has much to be proud ofNfall has much to be proud ofNfall has much to be proud ofNfall has much to be proud ofNfall has much to be proud ofNfall has much to be proud ofNfall has much to be proud of
These would be nice upgrades

Originally Posted by Goin2drt
I have heard similar directly from a friend who is the service manager at a Porsche dealer. He basically said the only way this is happening if someone is a crazy tech nerd that could do coding but Porsche with not have module, adapters etc etc to make this at all possible.

Same goes for updating with a new PCM to get Apple car play. The two things I want and don't have in my .1. Yours looks awesome.

Old 01-20-2017, 04:38 PM
gfroman is a name known to allgfroman is a name known to allgfroman is a name known to allgfroman is a name known to allgfroman is a name known to allgfroman is a name known to all
May I ask what your wheel cost?
I suppose you can sell the old wheel to help recoup some of the cost, or did you have to do a core swap?
Thanks!

Old 01-20-2017, 08:15 PM
stealth.pilot has a reputation beyond reputestealth.pilot has a reputation beyond reputestealth.pilot has a reputation beyond reputestealth.pilot has a reputation beyond reputestealth.pilot has a reputation beyond reputestealth.pilot has a reputation beyond reputestealth.pilot has a reputation beyond reputestealth.pilot has a reputation beyond reputestealth.pilot has a reputation beyond reputestealth.pilot has a reputation beyond reputestealth.pilot has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by gfroman
May I ask what your wheel cost?
I suppose you can sell the old wheel to help recoup some of the cost, or did you have to do a core swap?
Thanks!
Wheel was $1100, Leather airbag was $1000, modifications to wheel were $800. Install was $300.

Haven't sold original wheel and airbag but market value would be around $1200 combined.

Old 02-14-2017, 06:57 AM
Ashar Khan is on a distinguished road
That is stunning. I think I'll go for it too.
How and from whom did you buy the Exclusive leather stitched steering column ?
Also who do I talk to re. Having the Sports and Sports Plus LED fitout on the steering as per the stock 991.1 TS? Could you give us a name and contact details.
Once again, that is just beautiful .
Ash

Old 02-14-2017, 11:34 AM
stealth.pilot has a reputation beyond reputestealth.pilot has a reputation beyond reputestealth.pilot has a reputation beyond reputestealth.pilot has a reputation beyond reputestealth.pilot has a reputation beyond reputestealth.pilot has a reputation beyond reputestealth.pilot has a reputation beyond reputestealth.pilot has a reputation beyond reputestealth.pilot has a reputation beyond reputestealth.pilot has a reputation beyond reputestealth.pilot has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Ashar Khan
That is stunning. I think I'll go for it too.
How and from whom did you buy the Exclusive leather stitched steering column ?
Also who do I talk to re. Having the Sports and Sports Plus LED fitout on the steering as per the stock 991.1 TS? Could you give us a name and contact details.
Once again, that is just beautiful .
Ash
The steering column was done by Exclusive Option.

I don't think the Sports and Sports Plus LED display is possible on the new wheel, even if you remove the display from the old wheel. Wheel was done by RRS Motorsport (board sponsor)

Old 02-14-2017, 02:53 PM
longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !
Amazing job Stealth. Your interior is so sick.

I personally don't like the shorter paddles at all. I was like wtf did you do Porsche. Curious if you could have interchanged the .1 paddles on the .2 wheel.

Old 02-14-2017, 05:17 PM
Originally Posted by longboarder
Amazing job Stealth. Your interior is so sick.

I personally don't like the shorter paddles at all. I was like wtf did you do Porsche. Curious if you could have interchanged the .1 paddles on the .2 wheel.
I preferred the longer paddles from the old paddles, but I prefer the shorter throw of the new paddles. When you take into account the shorter throw it is much more fun driving with the new paddles. This is one of the huge improvements of the new wheel.

If you swapped them out you would lose the short throw.

Old 02-15-2017, 09:17 AM
shifter_ has a reputation beyond reputeshifter_ has a reputation beyond reputeshifter_ has a reputation beyond reputeshifter_ has a reputation beyond reputeshifter_ has a reputation beyond reputeshifter_ has a reputation beyond reputeshifter_ has a reputation beyond reputeshifter_ has a reputation beyond reputeshifter_ has a reputation beyond reputeshifter_ has a reputation beyond reputeshifter_ has a reputation beyond repute
I think you can get CF extenders for the paddles. the short throw on the .2 is much nicer than the ridiculously long pull on the .1.

Old 02-26-2017, 09:37 PM
Amiricanmade has a reputation beyond reputeAmiricanmade has a reputation beyond reputeAmiricanmade has a reputation beyond reputeAmiricanmade has a reputation beyond reputeAmiricanmade has a reputation beyond reputeAmiricanmade has a reputation beyond reputeAmiricanmade has a reputation beyond reputeAmiricanmade has a reputation beyond reputeAmiricanmade has a reputation beyond reputeAmiricanmade has a reputation beyond reputeAmiricanmade has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by stealth.pilot
Since I bought my 991.1 in May, I have found the car to be a masterpiece of engineering. The Steering wheel however was a disappointment. The design looked dated, and the rim itself was too thin for the grip level you need on a performance car.

So I upgraded the wheel to a new 991.2 custom wheel with a red band at top, thicker rim all the way round, and carrera red deviated stitching in the same pointe-crosse style as the Porsche Exclusive wheels. I also got a leather steering column retrofitted too.

Here are the specs:

1) 991.2 GT Sport wheel with 360mm diameter (20mm narrower than the 991.1 wheel) which I got from Suncoast. Also a 991.2 leather airbag (actually I got the Macan Turbo version which is identical to the 911 Turbo version with the same leather but half the price).

2) Modified by RRS Motorsports (no affiliation) with thicker rim all the way around, Carrera Red pointe-crosse stitching and 10mm Carrera Red band at top of wheel.

3) Replaced the black outer trim which is how the GT Sport wheel is setup with the silver outer trim from the GT3 RS steering wheel to create a look where all the spokes are fully metal in appearance and not a mix of metal and matte black plastic. This fully metal look is more bauhaus style which complements the Porsche very well.

4) Leather steering column with Carrera Red deviated stitching from Exclusive Option

Overall I am super happy with the upgrade:

1) It looks stunning and it is unique. I haven't seen any Porsche wheel the same as this yet.

2) RRS Motorsport did a very nice job with the modifications. I love the thicker rim which feels superb but maintains the same degree of firmness and feel. The workmanship is also as good as Porsche OEM - the stitching seems very similar to a Porsche Exclusive wheel, and and the band is actually more cleanly integrated at the top than the Porsche version.

3). Also the short throw paddles on the 991.2 wheel makes the DCT seem much faster. There is reduced finger movement to shift which makes it a lot more fun to use compared with the 991.1 wheel. In fact after driving with this, you wonder what was Porsche thinking with the old paddle wheel.
Looks amazing. I have a couple Q (disregard if you replied):

1. How do the digital reading on the steering wheel now function? For mine i have the launch control light on when it is activated...do you lose that feature wit this swap?
2. The paddles are the same as the 991.1?
3. Do you have a link to the silver trim purchased?
4. Did you get it installed at a dealership? $300 is the hourly rate at my dealer if I'm not mistaken

Last edited by Amiricanmade; 02-26-2017 at 09:48 PM.
Old 03-02-2017, 09:20 PM
Originally Posted by Amiricanmade
Looks amazing. I have a couple Q (disregard if you replied):

1. How do the digital reading on the steering wheel now function? For mine i have the launch control light on when it is activated...do you lose that feature wit this swap?
2. The paddles are the same as the 991.1?
3. Do you have a link to the silver trim purchased?
4. Did you get it installed at a dealership? $300 is the hourly rate at my dealer if I'm not mistaken
1. No digital mode indicator. You can still see launch mode in instrument cluster, and sport/sport plus on the center console switch light.

2. Paddles are different. they have a very short throw which is a huge improvement. makes DCT seem faster.

3. No link for silver trim, but I have part number.
95B-419-732-GT8

I did install at dealer. Price is $140 per hour.

Old 03-06-2017, 03:00 PM
Visceral Is a GOD !Visceral Is a GOD !Visceral Is a GOD !Visceral Is a GOD !Visceral Is a GOD !Visceral Is a GOD !Visceral Is a GOD !Visceral Is a GOD !Visceral Is a GOD !Visceral Is a GOD !Visceral Is a GOD !
How many of the sports wheel parts could you re-use on the new wheel (like the airbag)?

My column and airbag are both "espresso" leather stitched with platinum thread that I would hate to try and reproduce.

Old 03-11-2017, 09:25 AM
Originally Posted by Visceral
How many of the sports wheel parts could you re-use on the new wheel (like the airbag)?

My column and airbag are both "espresso" leather stitched with platinum thread that I would hate to try and reproduce.
Which wheel do you have? The wheel comes with a trim set, so only thing you need to buy separately is the airbag. All new style wheels use same airbag. However if you have an old style wheel then you will need a new airbag.

There is a used new-style espresso leather airbag here. I'd recommend buying a new one. I bought new because I'm risk averse.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Porsche-Leat...RYNsfA&vxp=mtr

Old 03-19-2017, 10:30 AM
myw
myw is a splendid one to beholdmyw is a splendid one to beholdmyw is a splendid one to beholdmyw is a splendid one to beholdmyw is a splendid one to beholdmyw is a splendid one to beholdmyw is a splendid one to behold
looks AMAZING. great job OP

Old 03-21-2017, 08:48 PM
Tom_K is an unknown quantity at this point
Would it be possible to change a 991.1 Turbo S multifunction wheel to this? I can't stand the buttons on the steering wheel, this car is made for paddles

Tom

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.