Kline, Europipe, Akra...sound differences at idle?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-31-2016, 07:12 AM
tssci is a splendid one to beholdtssci is a splendid one to beholdtssci is a splendid one to beholdtssci is a splendid one to beholdtssci is a splendid one to beholdtssci is a splendid one to behold
Kline, Europipe, Akra...sound differences at idle?

From research on this forum, it appears that these are all top choices so while I wait for my '17 TT build, I continue to struggle with what I'm going to use. When folks talk about the 'vacuum cleaner' sound from the stock system (which I know well from three previous 997.1 and 997.2 Turbos I've owned), it is most pronounced at idle which leads to my question. All of the aftermarket systems I mentioned seemed to have eliminated any annoying drone at driving speeds, so if I am correct they are equal in that aspect. I typically see the comment that at idle, some or all of these are 'not much different than stock at idle', but I honestly want a system that is indeed more aggressive at idle - but not something annoying when underway. Are any of these systems (of if there is another top choice I missed) noticeably different at idle than the stock system. P.S. I have no plans to change the headers and will run the hi-flow cats that come with these aftermarket systems. Thank you all.

Old 12-31-2016, 11:22 AM
sdg1871 Is a GOD !sdg1871 Is a GOD !sdg1871 Is a GOD !sdg1871 Is a GOD !sdg1871 Is a GOD !sdg1871 Is a GOD !sdg1871 Is a GOD !sdg1871 Is a GOD !sdg1871 Is a GOD !sdg1871 Is a GOD !sdg1871 Is a GOD !
EP is lower pitched and louder at idle than stock. It sounds very loud on coldstart up. But if you're looking for the loudest exhaust inside the cabin try the Fabspeed catalyst. I'm completely not a fan of that exhaust as I find it incredibly droney but it's probably the loudest of the major aftermarket exhausts.

Old 01-03-2017, 08:08 PM
stealth.pilot has a reputation beyond reputestealth.pilot has a reputation beyond reputestealth.pilot has a reputation beyond reputestealth.pilot has a reputation beyond reputestealth.pilot has a reputation beyond reputestealth.pilot has a reputation beyond reputestealth.pilot has a reputation beyond reputestealth.pilot has a reputation beyond reputestealth.pilot has a reputation beyond reputestealth.pilot has a reputation beyond reputestealth.pilot has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by tssci
From research on this forum, it appears that these are all top choices so while I wait for my '17 TT build, I continue to struggle with what I'm going to use. When folks talk about the 'vacuum cleaner' sound from the stock system (which I know well from three previous 997.1 and 997.2 Turbos I've owned), it is most pronounced at idle which leads to my question. All of the aftermarket systems I mentioned seemed to have eliminated any annoying drone at driving speeds, so if I am correct they are equal in that aspect. I typically see the comment that at idle, some or all of these are 'not much different than stock at idle', but I honestly want a system that is indeed more aggressive at idle - but not something annoying when underway. Are any of these systems (of if there is another top choice I missed) noticeably different at idle than the stock system. P.S. I have no plans to change the headers and will run the hi-flow cats that come with these aftermarket systems. Thank you all.
I have found the aftermarket exhausts still have the vacuum cleaner sound, just louder. It's the sound of the flat-6. This is the only thing I regret about not having a V8!

Old 01-10-2017, 12:36 PM
Former Vendor
SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !
I would be glad to chat with you about it and also send you tons of video anytime! With good support we can stand behind you 100# and make sure you get what makes you happiest. #GoodProblemsToHave

Old 01-11-2017, 02:07 AM
str4nger is an unknown quantity at this point

What about a valved system?

I bought an ipe. I like it with the valves open but it is loud and does drobe a little but you have the option to close the valves and it becomes a little louder then stock with no drone.

I use my car daily, closed valves for work and open for the weekend drives,

Best of both worlds.

Old 01-11-2017, 08:02 AM
wrs
wrs Is a GOD !wrs Is a GOD !wrs Is a GOD !wrs Is a GOD !wrs Is a GOD !wrs Is a GOD !wrs Is a GOD !wrs Is a GOD !wrs Is a GOD !wrs Is a GOD !wrs Is a GOD !
OK so admittedly this is a poor video as it's from a text message attachment but it is how my car sounds now with no cats, Kline inconel headers and the TIAL turbos. The problem in the picture is the smoke coming out of the drivers side tailpipe. The conclusion is that it's oil smoke and so that has to be diagnosed and resolved before I get my car back. I am oh so close to stage 4 right now and Im about to go crazy since I haven't even seen the car in two months. This is my first exposure to it since dropping it off on Nov. 13. I think it sounds better than before for sure.

Old 01-11-2017, 08:38 AM
Former Vendor
stef@europipe Is a GOD !stef@europipe Is a GOD !stef@europipe Is a GOD !stef@europipe Is a GOD !stef@europipe Is a GOD !stef@europipe Is a GOD !stef@europipe Is a GOD !stef@europipe Is a GOD !stef@europipe Is a GOD !stef@europipe Is a GOD !stef@europipe Is a GOD !
Stephen,

Here is the data:

991 Turbo idle dB measured at 1 meter distance

991 Turbo stock exhaust in normal mode: 73 dB

991 Turbo Europipe exhaust in normal mode: 78 dB

991 Turbo Europipe exhaust in sport mode: 80 dB

This is with stock headers and Europipe with 100 cell sport cats

Cheers

Old 01-12-2017, 09:57 AM
tssci is a splendid one to beholdtssci is a splendid one to beholdtssci is a splendid one to beholdtssci is a splendid one to beholdtssci is a splendid one to beholdtssci is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by stef@europipe
Stephen,

Here is the data:

991 Turbo idle dB measured at 1 meter distance

991 Turbo stock exhaust in normal mode: 73 dB

991 Turbo Europipe exhaust in normal mode: 78 dB

991 Turbo Europipe exhaust in sport mode: 80 dB

This is with stock headers and Europipe with 100 cell sport cats

Cheers
Stef - thank you for providing this information...exactly what I was looking for. I did not realize that the exhaust note/decible at idle changes based on whether it is in normal or sport mode...does it do that because in sport the idle RPM is slightly increased (now that I think of it the idle does increase from normal to sport in my 991 50th Anniversay car). Sorry to be pest about this question, but do you feel the 5 and or 7 DB increase is noticeable??

Old 01-12-2017, 12:18 PM
wrs
wrs Is a GOD !wrs Is a GOD !wrs Is a GOD !wrs Is a GOD !wrs Is a GOD !wrs Is a GOD !wrs Is a GOD !wrs Is a GOD !wrs Is a GOD !wrs Is a GOD !wrs Is a GOD !
I have consistently kept the FVD exhaust but I have had several different combinations with it and all sounded different. So in my experience, there are a lot of contributing factors to the sound. Getting rid of the cats really improved the sound but putting the stock manifolds back on took some of that benefit away. The FVD headers are not equal length and produce a staccato sound and I had them on with 200 cell cats so that staccato was reduced by the cats but the car sounded better with them than with the OEM exhaust manifolds.

Now I have Kline equal length headers, no cats and the FVD exhaust and it's absolutely, IMO, the best sound the car has made yet.

The equal length headers smooth out the exhaust flow but the individual pipes add a throat to the sound that the flattened out OEM manifolds do not have. For me, the Kline headers were a good investment in sound and hopefully horsepower as well, although I don't want to get into that discussion again.

Sound ultimately is subjective. I am very pleased with the sound of my current combination of products.

Originally Posted by stealth.pilot
I have found the aftermarket exhausts still have the vacuum cleaner sound, just louder. It's the sound of the flat-6. This is the only thing I regret about not having a V8!

Stealth, this is for you to compare and see if you really think the v8 sounds better. These are both Porsches so it's a fit comparison. To me, the flat 6 sounds much better. The v8 has secondary cat bypass and Fabspeed Exhaust with BMC filter. If we were to compare that Jag you had then I give it the thumbs up over the Porsche V8 and the BMW V8 but anyway I like the flat 6 better.

Last edited by wrs; 01-12-2017 at 12:49 PM.
Old 01-13-2017, 06:45 AM
Former Vendor
stef@europipe Is a GOD !stef@europipe Is a GOD !stef@europipe Is a GOD !stef@europipe Is a GOD !stef@europipe Is a GOD !stef@europipe Is a GOD !stef@europipe Is a GOD !stef@europipe Is a GOD !stef@europipe Is a GOD !stef@europipe Is a GOD !stef@europipe Is a GOD !
Stef - thank you for providing this information...exactly what I was looking for. I did not realize that the exhaust note/decible at idle changes based on whether it is in normal or sport mode...does it do that because in sport the idle RPM is slightly increased (now that I think of it the idle does increase from normal to sport in my 991 50th Anniversay car). Sorry to be pest about this question, but do you feel the 5 and or 7 DB increase is noticeable??
The tone and decible changes are caused by both the increased idle rpm and the different engine setiings. Some tuned turbos sound quieter or louder and different because of the modified engine setiings. Nothing to do with the exhaust itself.

The increased dB at idle with our system is indeed noticeble but you also hear the tone improvement. As if you would switch from a transistor radio to a hifi system, so less buzz while the classic Porsche sound gets enhanced.

Old 01-13-2017, 07:37 AM
stealth.pilot has a reputation beyond reputestealth.pilot has a reputation beyond reputestealth.pilot has a reputation beyond reputestealth.pilot has a reputation beyond reputestealth.pilot has a reputation beyond reputestealth.pilot has a reputation beyond reputestealth.pilot has a reputation beyond reputestealth.pilot has a reputation beyond reputestealth.pilot has a reputation beyond reputestealth.pilot has a reputation beyond reputestealth.pilot has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by wrs
I have consistently kept the FVD exhaust but I have had several different combinations with it and all sounded different. So in my experience, there are a lot of contributing factors to the sound. Getting rid of the cats really improved the sound but putting the stock manifolds back on took some of that benefit away. The FVD headers are not equal length and produce a staccato sound and I had them on with 200 cell cats so that staccato was reduced by the cats but the car sounded better with them than with the OEM exhaust manifolds.

Now I have Kline equal length headers, no cats and the FVD exhaust and it's absolutely, IMO, the best sound the car has made yet.

The equal length headers smooth out the exhaust flow but the individual pipes add a throat to the sound that the flattened out OEM manifolds do not have. For me, the Kline headers were a good investment in sound and hopefully horsepower as well, although I don't want to get into that discussion again.

Sound ultimately is subjective. I am very pleased with the sound of my current combination of products.

https://youtu.be/Ob5KqSnUEyA?t=19

Stealth, this is for you to compare and see if you really think the v8 sounds better. These are both Porsches so it's a fit comparison. To me, the flat 6 sounds much better. The v8 has secondary cat bypass and Fabspeed Exhaust with BMC filter. If we were to compare that Jag you had then I give it the thumbs up over the Porsche V8 and the BMW V8 but anyway I like the flat 6 better.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oH6nektZ_vM
I guess its a matter of taste, but to me I found the sound of your flat 6 to be jarring. I like that it's loud, but the sound profile literally hurts my ears.

The sound of your V8 I think sounds much better. The problem with the V8 is that you don't have a very good exhaust on that one which is why it sounds a bit boring. The Flat 6 in your case is more interesting, but the core sound is jarring. Your V8 has a nice note but a boring sound profile (not much backfire, burble or pop)

Old 02-15-2018, 06:44 PM
michaeldantep has much to be proud ofmichaeldantep has much to be proud ofmichaeldantep has much to be proud ofmichaeldantep has much to be proud ofmichaeldantep has much to be proud ofmichaeldantep has much to be proud ofmichaeldantep has much to be proud ofmichaeldantep has much to be proud ofmichaeldantep has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by stealth.pilot
I mostly agree with you, but I saw the Kline video and it is the only one I would consider. Best sound to me by far for a turbo. I even like the tips!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.