My new Stage 4 car

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-13-2017, 06:07 PM
wrs
wrs Is a GOD !wrs Is a GOD !wrs Is a GOD !wrs Is a GOD !wrs Is a GOD !wrs Is a GOD !wrs Is a GOD !wrs Is a GOD !wrs Is a GOD !wrs Is a GOD !wrs Is a GOD !
Initial testing of Stage 4 at the county road compared to stage 3 a year ago

OK so I am comparing to the test I ran with Stage 3 at the same time last year on these same tires which were new then. The difference in the car now is Kline headers instead of FVD headers, no cats vs 200 cell cats and 68mm TIAL turbos vs the OEM which I guess are 65mm and the stage 3 93 oct map vs. the stage 4 93 octane map. Anyway it short shifted today and still outran the other setup. It was 15 degrees hotter today, if you can believe it, we had 81F at noon out there today. Last year I was at 65 degrees at noon. So my final IAT was much higher and my back to back to back runs slowed down which they didn't last year. However, the AP log shows a HUGE difference in boost pressure achieved by these turbos. I am getting MAP of 42 max vs 37 max on the other set. The delta looks like between 3 and five lbs of boost from these improved turbos.

I also made this run on the Valero 93 octane gas that has been sitting in the tank on the car for the last two months while it was in the process of being upgraded. So we have crummy gas, bad weather conditions and tires that have been vulcanized by two track events and worn by at least another 4k miles and the car is still faster on trap speed and equal on ET with a worse 60ft (but not that much worse). However, the AP data show the short shift clearly in today's run vs. no short shift last year. It seems the torque is much higher now than it was then and that is probably why I didn't get good 60ft times at the drag strip shown on those Feb 5, 2016 slips. Too much extra power and torque from the race gas did the same thing as the turbos and no cats plus equal length headers did with this crappy gas.

Looking at the AP logs, notice that the IAT ends up at nearly 160 today and only at about 140 last year. Subsequent runs kept starting at higher and higher IATs, I saw 172 in the logs at the end of the last run. That also makes a difference in back end peroformance. I think I am definitely going to get the N1 tires next week if I can bear to give up the car for that long. Here are the plots, first the AP log plots and then the Vbox. I am excited about getting out to the drag strip tomorrow if the weather holds. Funny thing is that it hadn't rained 40 miles east of town at all but we had plenty of rain this morning in town. Let's hope it's that way for the west of town tomorrow, the forecast suggests so.

Attached Images     
Old 01-14-2017, 08:03 AM
wrs
wrs Is a GOD !wrs Is a GOD !wrs Is a GOD !wrs Is a GOD !wrs Is a GOD !wrs Is a GOD !wrs Is a GOD !wrs Is a GOD !wrs Is a GOD !wrs Is a GOD !wrs Is a GOD !
So here is a comparison to how the car was running just before the upgrades to after

Now granted, we replaced the throttle body hose but the biggest change that I think hurt the car was going back to the stock manifold. I went out to the county road and used the ice on 11/16/2016 just before putting the car in the shop and I ran two different maps. One was the traction map and the other was the stock Stage 3 ByDesign Map for 93 octane. In fact this $hittty performance was why I decided to do the turbos.

Here is the comparison for the Stock Stage 3 ByDesign map vs the Stock stage 4 ByDesign map but with Kline headers, a new throttle body hose and clamp along with the 68mm TIAL turbos. It was only 75F and 30% humidity on 11/16 so I had better conditions and I iced the ICs. The final IAT was lower too and I was running Shell 93 gas. From before the car went in to now was a huge difference.

The 60ft times were pretty much identical but the ETs and final traps were markedly improved yesterday. So maybe this is the better comparison to make. The previous combo and condition of the car was far less good than now. Of course this isn't nearly as good as the data other people are posting but it's a car with 16k miles on it now and it's 3 years old since it's a 9/13 build. It's not a new .2 car with low mileage but it has legs. So the improvement is .23s ET and 2.5mph in trap speed. In addition, the conditions were worse and I didn't ice the ICs as I did before. What can be seen is that the same short shifting pattern is evident in both runs but even with that, the upgraded car still manages to run as good as the best run it ever made in the past in better conditions and it's way better than it was running just before I made these changes.

Attached Images     

Last edited by wrs; 01-14-2017 at 08:06 AM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.