Manual Mode Stopped Working

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-20-2017, 03:49 AM
GMEOVER is an unknown quantity at this point
Manual Mode Stopped Working

This has happened to me twice so far. While driving in Sport Plus on a spirited drive about an hour into the drive manual mode stopped working both in sport plus and sport. The paddles nor the gear shifter would not work in manual mode. After stopping the car and turning it off and getting back into the car turning it back on. It worked fine again. Has anyone else encountered this?

Old 02-20-2017, 06:56 AM
wrs
wrs Is a GOD !wrs Is a GOD !wrs Is a GOD !wrs Is a GOD !wrs Is a GOD !wrs Is a GOD !wrs Is a GOD !wrs Is a GOD !wrs Is a GOD !wrs Is a GOD !wrs Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by GMEOVER
This has happened to me twice so far. While driving in Sport Plus on a spirited drive about an hour into the drive manual mode stopped working both in sport plus and sport. The paddles nor the gear shifter would not work in manual mode. After stopping the car and turning it off and getting back into the car turning it back on. It worked fine again. Has anyone else encountered this?
Yes, happens to me every so often. I drive around town in sport and manual and for no apparent reason it just moves to automatic and stays there until I stop and restart the car. I mentioned it when it was in last week but it isn't fixed by reflashing the PDK as it already happened on Sunday.

Old 02-20-2017, 08:22 AM
shifter_ has a reputation beyond reputeshifter_ has a reputation beyond reputeshifter_ has a reputation beyond reputeshifter_ has a reputation beyond reputeshifter_ has a reputation beyond reputeshifter_ has a reputation beyond reputeshifter_ has a reputation beyond reputeshifter_ has a reputation beyond reputeshifter_ has a reputation beyond reputeshifter_ has a reputation beyond reputeshifter_ has a reputation beyond repute
Very odd. I drive exclusively in manual mode in sport plus and have never had this happen in 20k miles.

Old 02-20-2017, 08:51 AM
Nanook Is a GOD !Nanook Is a GOD !Nanook Is a GOD !Nanook Is a GOD !Nanook Is a GOD !Nanook Is a GOD !Nanook Is a GOD !Nanook Is a GOD !Nanook Is a GOD !Nanook Is a GOD !Nanook Is a GOD !
I think it's a protection thing the car does to guard potential damage from over heating etc..

Old 02-20-2017, 10:52 AM
Former Vendor
SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !
Hi G
What wheels/tires and mods? Can you figure out a pattern to it?

Old 02-20-2017, 12:01 PM
longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Nanook
I think it's a protection thing the car does to guard potential damage from over heating etc..

Hmmm. When drifting the car for long sustained periods (like a couple minutes) I've had the PSM turn itself on and not let me turn it off again unless I stopped the car and restarted it. But I've never had the car prevent me from being in manual mode. That sounds like something else to me.

Old 02-21-2017, 06:38 AM
porschecayenne92 has a brilliant futureporschecayenne92 has a brilliant futureporschecayenne92 has a brilliant futureporschecayenne92 has a brilliant futureporschecayenne92 has a brilliant futureporschecayenne92 has a brilliant futureporschecayenne92 has a brilliant futureporschecayenne92 has a brilliant futureporschecayenne92 has a brilliant futureporschecayenne92 has a brilliant futureporschecayenne92 has a brilliant future
I had this problem on my panamera once . I was racing , wanted to downshift and I couldnt go in manual mode , no matter if I downshifted with paddles or stick. The problem didnt repeat since than. I think its a glitch or overheat . No problem since than .

Old 02-21-2017, 06:42 AM
wrs
wrs Is a GOD !wrs Is a GOD !wrs Is a GOD !wrs Is a GOD !wrs Is a GOD !wrs Is a GOD !wrs Is a GOD !wrs Is a GOD !wrs Is a GOD !wrs Is a GOD !wrs Is a GOD !
I don't see how it's anything to do with overheating since I never am running the car hard when it happens. I am of the opinion it's a software issue somewhere. Turning the car off and turning it back on is the only thing that fixes it.

Old 02-21-2017, 07:35 AM
thegame has a reputation beyond reputethegame has a reputation beyond reputethegame has a reputation beyond reputethegame has a reputation beyond reputethegame has a reputation beyond reputethegame has a reputation beyond reputethegame has a reputation beyond reputethegame has a reputation beyond reputethegame has a reputation beyond reputethegame has a reputation beyond reputethegame has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by wrs
I don't see how it's anything to do with overheating since I never am running the car hard when it happens. I am of the opinion it's a software issue somewhere. Turning the car off and turning it back on is the only thing that fixes it.
WRS with your current mods have you ran it in the quarter yet? Sorry if I missed it.

Old 02-21-2017, 07:38 AM
wrs
Originally Posted by thegame
WRS with your current mods have you ran it in the quarter yet? Sorry if I missed it.

Well only at the county road so far. The last trip to SAR I ended up with a failed diverter valve. I also have a new map for Stage 4 that I haven't gotten to run on the new tires. I did get a 10.4 @131 at the county road with a 1.55 60ft using my Stage 3 map on the Stage 4 hardware. So it's still a work in progress but I am now below 10.5 ET. That was on pump gas. This morning is perfect county road weather but I have a workout in an hour so I can't go today, maybe tomorrow morning.

Old 02-21-2017, 07:40 AM
thegame has a reputation beyond reputethegame has a reputation beyond reputethegame has a reputation beyond reputethegame has a reputation beyond reputethegame has a reputation beyond reputethegame has a reputation beyond reputethegame has a reputation beyond reputethegame has a reputation beyond reputethegame has a reputation beyond reputethegame has a reputation beyond reputethegame has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by wrs
Well only at the county road so far. The last trip to SAR I ended up with a failed diverter valve. I also have a new map for Stage 4 that I haven't gotten to run on the new tires. I did get a 10.4 @131 at the county road with a 1.55 60ft using my Stage 3 map on the Stage 4 hardware. So it's still a work in progress but I am now below 10.5 ET. That was on pump gas.
That is awesome, i love these cars. My next car is definitely a used 991 Turbo S.

Old 02-21-2017, 11:13 AM
Former Vendor
SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !
I see this once is a while because we play with different wheels, tire pressures and big power so much. If the car sees inconsistent traction or rolling calculations it will default until you cycle the ignition. It's the PDK related side most likely. Some cars never do it. Some cars do it stock with 21' wheels. It's random and you may find a pattern or reasoning.

Old 02-21-2017, 12:35 PM
Originally Posted by SamboTT@ByDesign
I see this once is a while because we play with different wheels, tire pressures and big power so much. If the car sees inconsistent traction or rolling calculations it will default until you cycle the ignition. It's the PDK related side most likely. Some cars never do it. Some cars do it stock with 21' wheels. It's random and you may find a pattern or reasoning.
Interesting because I do have 21" wheels on the car????

Old 02-21-2017, 03:05 PM
Former Vendor
If you don't want to list mods or anything feel free to give me a call I'll try to share what I can to help out!

Old 02-22-2017, 09:02 AM
Originally Posted by SamboTT@ByDesign
If you don't want to list mods or anything feel free to give me a call I'll try to share what I can to help out!
No worries here is a list of mods thus far:

H&R Lowering Springs
21" 3 piece HRE Wheels Classic 300 series
IPD "Y" pipe and plenum
AWE Intake
Tubi Catless Exhaust
GIAC Stage 2+ Tune

I'm interested to hear your thoughts, thanks so much.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.