Porsche 991 review by Car and Driver

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-23-2012, 07:52 PM
ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !
Porsche 991 review by Car and Driver

I don’t think the Car and Driver review linked below has been posted yet and because it compares the 991 to a couple of others makes it makes interesting reading- but alas, it’s short on technical results. To get those you have to buy their February published issue where they detail why the 991 won.
I’m scheduled to drive one tomorrow so I’ll add my first impression comments on cruising in a 991 after that.
ChuckJ
http://www.caranddriver.com/comparis...omparison-test

Old 01-23-2012, 08:06 PM
KYROCKS will become famous soon enough
Let us know how it is...
Are you going to Park Place?

Old 01-23-2012, 08:24 PM
EricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by ChuckJ
I don’t think the Car and Driver review linked below has been posted yet and because it compares the 991 to a couple of others makes it makes interesting reading- but alas, it’s short on technical results. To get those you have to buy their February published issue where they detail why the 991 won.
I’m scheduled to drive one tomorrow so I’ll add my first impression comments on cruising in a 991 after that.
ChuckJ
http://www.caranddriver.com/comparis...omparison-test
Please do. Thanks Chuck.

Old 01-28-2012, 04:15 PM
ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by EricP
Please do. Thanks Chuck.
Here it is:
I own a PDK equipped 2009 C2S and I just had the opportunity to drive a highly optioned 991S PDK for a short test drive. The paragraphs below describe my initial impression. The bottom line is that it’s a much refined design inside and out, but it’s still a 911.
When you approach the car, the design is clearly an upgrade of the 997 which looks sleeker and meaner presumably due to the length / height ratio; the combination of the longer length and lower body. The first impression is that it should cut through the air easier. I’m of average height and despite the lower roofline I did not notice any more difficulty getting in or out. When you first walk up to it one notices an interesting new design on the front fenders. No longer is the top of them round, they are slightly oval with peak on the inside portion of the fender. I’m not sure of the reason for this and the spokesperson at the dealer didn’t know of a technical reason. It may have something to do with keeping the Cd at .29 given the larger frontal area, perhaps tripping the flow, or it may have something to do with lower reflection area required given the high tech lights as the lights look slightly oval also. From the side, the 20” wheels look impressive, and the body looks nicely proportioned. I thought I might object to the sharper line down the fast-back, but I didn’t, in fact I really like the look from the rear quarter as well with its sleeker lights and slight line across the top of the engine compartment that may act as a mini spoiler. The luggage carrier nicely attaches to two points under a rubber cover.
The lighter / smaller key is nicer feeing in the pocket and fits easily into the ignition switch. There is no metal “key” sticking out of the remote. Instead, the forward half of the 3” remote fits into a socket. Starting the engine requires the normal clockwise turn of the remote. Personally, I would prefer a proximity lock / unlock remote and a button start like the Corvette C6 and I’m surprised Porsche didn’t do the same, but that’s a minor issue. There is an option for a more passive entry that approaches that capability, but unfortunately it is only available as part of a larger, and expensive option. Inside, the car feels slightly bigger, but not much. Visibility from the inside is excellent. Location of the mirrors on the door sides reduces the forward blind spot slightly and that, combined with the larger windshield makes forward visibility slightly better. Visibility to the rear is slightly worse than the 997 due to the shape and size of the rearview windshield mirror. You can see the new mirror shape by “building a car” in 3D mode on the Porsche site if you’re interested. The esthetic quality of the interior is fine, but I thought the 997.2 was just as good and the size and shape of 997.2 mirror enhanced rearward visibility slightly better. There are design improvements however, such as the 4” TFT and 7” displays (with integrated functions) and the center console which looks good and adds to vehicle functionality mostly because of the sport, sport plus and other buttons in the PDK cars are easier to reach. I don’t know, of course, how well it would work with the manual transmission, but I suspect it would be an improvement there as well. The side pockets are reminiscent of the original 911 pockets, pulling out rather than the top opening up. This car had the smoker’s package which I would advocate as it gives an addition 12 volt socket. The center console storage area (under the center arm rest) is not much better than the 997. This car had the sport seats which are very comfortable. Head room seems to be increased. The luggage compartment up front follows the strategy of the rest of the car and is slightly bigger. Because it’s very cube-like without intrusions, it is very efficient. Access to the tools is much better. They are integrated into two pull out compartments at the top left and right part of the compartment. Tools and equipment are molded on the inside. Finally, you’ll be happy to hear you can set the car to chirp (or not) when you lock the car with the remote.
Initial start using the key is almost identical to my 997.2; you can hear the starter gear engage the flywheel and turn over quickly a couple times before the engine comes to life. But after that the differences begin to show. My 997.2 has significant engine vibration at a 600 RPM idle that go away at about 800 RPM. My dealer tells me that it cannot be increased to 800. This car idles at 800 RPM and there are very little vibrations. The car is appreciably quieter, especially at idle. With the doors closed at an idle the dB meter read 75, making it also considerably quieter than my 997 at 85dB. The PDK is even more refined than my 997.2. There is no longer a hesitation or noticeable clunk when starting in drive; it just smoothly starts moving forward as if it were using a torque converter. Shifts are also smoother and much quicker in the manual mode than the 997.2, changing gears in probably half the time of my car. My guess is that the new car takes about 100ms to make a gear change. Downshift is a miracle watching the engine match RPMs within that time, then dropping into the lower gear. The start/stop feature is excellent, especially as you can choose to save gas using it or not by switching it off. When using it, during the start or stop sequence there is a small shutter both when shutting down and starting, but it is nearly transparent. In addition, it saves gas and makes the car very quiet when sitting at a light. Under normal circumstances you can’t get your foot from the brake to the accelerator before the car is at idle. It doesn’t seem to use the normal starter motor / gear for this action; rather it starts like hybrids with another starter motor integrated into system. Though it’s not quite as transparent as hybrids (presumable due to compression and valve timing differences) it is virtually seamless and not annoying. The “sailing” feature is also very transparent to the point that you have to be looking at the tachometer to notice it happened. Re-engaging from “sail” to cruise is equally smooth and transparent. I didn’t notice any difference in the steering due to the electric boost, but of course I wasn’t on a track at limits, I was just driving it around town. For parking, the variable ratio is effective and it reverts to the normal effort as speed increases a little. Noise at cruise is considerably less than my 997.2 measuring 89-92dB vs. 94-97dB in typical highway cruise in the 997.2. It’s not quite as quiet as my very quiet hybrid which on the same streets was reading 85-87dB, but it’s significantly better than the 997. Most of the reduction is in road noise this enables one to hear the engine better which for those with the PDK offers the visceral induction sound of a formula car with its very quick shifts on acceleration and for those with a stick shift, enables them to match RPMs for downshifts. The ride is very smooth and it seems to take concrete seams better.
In summary; it’s just fine!

ChuckJ

Old 01-28-2012, 04:26 PM
EricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond repute
Thanks Chuck (did you write that on your smartphone?)

I'm surprised you weren't blown away by the interior. Was it full leather with adaptive sport seats? I found it jaw dropping in person. But I thought the interior on my 2011 997.2 was garbage. Very toyota-esque. In fact it was my main beef and mine was LOADED on the interior.

Old 01-29-2012, 02:50 PM
xseal is a name known to allxseal is a name known to allxseal is a name known to allxseal is a name known to allxseal is a name known to allxseal is a name known to all
I'll be interested to drive one, but I sat in one last night at a dealers Rolex24 event and didn't like it at all.

Old 01-29-2012, 04:45 PM
AJag Is a GOD !AJag Is a GOD !AJag Is a GOD !AJag Is a GOD !AJag Is a GOD !AJag Is a GOD !AJag Is a GOD !AJag Is a GOD !AJag Is a GOD !AJag Is a GOD !AJag Is a GOD !
Phenomenal detailed review, thanks!

Old 01-29-2012, 07:55 PM
Onetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by xseal
I'll be interested to drive one, but I sat in one last night at a dealers Rolex24 event and didn't like it at all.
That's a pretty vague statement, what didn't you like?

Old 01-29-2012, 08:02 PM
Originally Posted by Onetime
That's a pretty vague statement, what didn't you like?
Agreed. What did you not like ..."at all"?

I found it unreal and potentially award winning.

Old 01-31-2012, 11:47 AM
Here's a nice little road review.

And a fun / thrill ride in the country.
Listen for the auto accelerator blip to match RPMs for downshift.

ChuckJ

Last edited by ChuckJ; 01-31-2012 at 12:23 PM.
Old 01-31-2012, 02:43 PM
xseal is a name known to allxseal is a name known to allxseal is a name known to allxseal is a name known to allxseal is a name known to allxseal is a name known to all
Originally Posted by EricP
Agreed. What did you not like ..."at all"?

I found it unreal and potentially award winning.
The interior felt like it belonged in a sedan, not a sports car. EG, the door latches/covers were heavy. The interior seemed very heavy on plastic, though the metal parts were very nice. I was put off particularly by the center console behind the front seats -- looked like not very good plastic. I didn't like the change in the rear seats, no traditional carpet in b/t the seat bottom and back.

I was put off by the fact that the engine compartment, when open, completely obscures the engine. All there is are spouts for the oil, coolant, etc. Could have been a hybrid for all you could see.

I thought the negative comments I've heard about the car from the rear angle were completely right in person. It doesn't look like a porsche from the rear to me. Side view was better, but the longer wheel base (though I'm sure better weight distro) made it seem less linked to 911s of the past, something I don't feel with a 997. From the front it was nicer, and the bulged headlight covers were cool.

I'm not a flamer. I love porsches and have a 997.1tt. I want the car to succeed. I really like the Panamera and have considered getting one. I thought I would like the interior, but was surprised how much I had a negative visceral reaction that it just didn't feel like a sports car.

That's about it.

They did have a deep blue (Mexico blue?) 997 GT3 4.0 with no markings that I would have given my left leg for. ....

Old 01-31-2012, 02:59 PM
The interior felt like it belonged in a sedan, not a sports car. EG, the door latches/covers were heavy. The interior seemed very heavy on plastic, though the metal parts were very nice. I was put off particularly by the center console behind the front seats -- looked like not very good plastic. I didn't like the change in the rear seats, no traditional carpet in b/t the seat bottom and back.

I was put off by the fact that the engine compartment, when open, completely obscures the engine. All there is are spouts for the oil, coolant, etc. Could have been a hybrid for all you could see.

I thought the negative comments I've heard about the car from the rear angle were completely right in person. It doesn't look like a porsche from the rear to me. Side view was better, but the longer wheel base (though I'm sure better weight distro) made it seem less linked to 911s of the past, something I don't feel with a 997. From the front it was nicer, and the bulged headlight covers were cool.

I'm not a flamer. I love porsches and have a 997.1tt. I want the car to succeed. I really like the Panamera and have considered getting one. I thought I would like the interior, but was surprised how much I had a negative visceral reaction that it just didn't feel like a sports car.

That's about it.

They did have a deep blue (Mexico blue?) 997 GT3 4.0 with no markings that I would have given my left leg for. ....
One more, I didn't like the sunroof at all. Again, like the interior, something that I thought looked great in pictures that didn't appeal to me in person.

Old 01-31-2012, 03:07 PM
buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !

That's about it.

Thanks for the feedback...interesting observations.

Old 01-31-2012, 03:32 PM
w00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond repute
Very nice reviews. Thank you. I have not seen the car in person, will do so on Feb 4th but looking at the pics, xseal's first hand impressions were what echoed in my mind all these days. I have always felt that as great as the 991's interior is it somehow seems to belong in a SUV (yes I am biased coz I got the Cayenne due to it's interior ... ofcourse one of the reasons) or say a sports sedan like a Jaguar. I was disappointed that Porsche went with this style as they already have this in their sport sedan and SUV.
The problem is that some of us have liked the 911 for it's quirks and one of the biggest quirk has been it's interior ... or lack thereof compared to most other cars. All these years it is driver focused and just that. But obviously their customers like Eric for example do not like this kind of interior (I still would not call it garbage and several Toyota owners sit in my car and have a hard time closing their mouth since their jaw is so wide open ... Sorry Eric I love you but just had to add that part of this post ) and Porsche has to change it's ways. Nothing wrong with Eric not liking the interior and it is ofcourse his money and he has the right to demand and choose what he wants in a 100K + car.

On a final note, please don't forget we all are part of the 911 family and yes the 991 is a 911 ... Heck any car that is made by Porsche and wears the 911 badge is a 911. So please don't take my comments as a inflammatory. It is just that I am disheartened by the change in the interior.

Attached Images   

Last edited by w00tPORSCHE; 01-31-2012 at 03:42 PM.
Old 01-31-2012, 03:36 PM
Dr. Bill is a glorious beacon of lightDr. Bill is a glorious beacon of lightDr. Bill is a glorious beacon of lightDr. Bill is a glorious beacon of lightDr. Bill is a glorious beacon of light

Are we related? Those were my exact feelings as well!

Although I did not think it looked as ugly in person as the photos would suggest.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Porsche 991 review by Car and Driver