SM_ATL's Carrera S Journal

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 7 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 03-07-2012, 06:46 AM
SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !
Car is on the lift at the wheel shop. Checked the new Victor Equipment wheels, they are in fact manufactured by TSW (while the 20" Carrera wheels are made by BBS). I did not have a very precise measurement but the new feels are 2+ lbs lighter than the OEMs. Not a huge difference but with the offset being different I can also get rid of the spacers. Finish of the forged wheels is great.

More info tonight!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/60293300@N06/6815514242/

Old 03-07-2012, 07:41 AM
SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !
P-Zero's after a track week end.

Nothing too exceptional but here's a quick pic of one of my rear tires after last week end's track event. Looks like they have run pretty hot.
Overall, I have been positively surprised by the Pirelli's. I have had P-Zero's on other cars and usually did not like them (grip, noise, road feel), but the ones on the 991S do really well.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/60293300@N06/6815542758/

Last edited by SM_ATL; 03-07-2012 at 10:51 AM.
Old 03-07-2012, 09:37 PM
New wheels... and their first trip

The car was ready around 12pm and the new wheels met my expectations.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/60293300@N06/6963397231/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/60293300@N06/6817274260/
Thanks to their offset, they stick out a bit more than OEMs+5mm spacers. I also got an alignment done with a slightly more aggressive camber (-1 at the front, -1,6 at the rear).

http://www.flickr.com/photos/60293300@N06/6817319316/
I had to leave for a business trip to East TN but did a small detour through the mountains. I could not resist taking the following pic:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/60293300@N06/6817274930/
I do not know about eternity, but I was definitely going to spend the afternoon in automotive heaven

I made sure I could run the Tail of the Dragon a couple of times:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/60293300@N06/6963396495/
I have been on US129 with all my recent cars, including numerous runs with my Cayman R. I certainly had as much pleasure, if not more, with the 991. It may not be as nimble in tight corners and the road feel through the 991 steering system may not be as good, but the overall performance delivered by the chassis + engine + PDK pushes out the limit of what you can accomplish.

Time for a last pic before the sunset:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/60293300@N06/6963397049/
PS: now the car really needs a drop (~1")!!

Last edited by SM_ATL; 03-07-2012 at 09:41 PM.
Old 03-07-2012, 09:50 PM
gleek48 is a splendid one to beholdgleek48 is a splendid one to beholdgleek48 is a splendid one to beholdgleek48 is a splendid one to beholdgleek48 is a splendid one to beholdgleek48 is a splendid one to behold
Looks great!

Any rubbing issues with the new wheels? What are the offsets and widths?

What model number are they?

Do you know if aftermarket wheels (with different offsets/sizes) work with PDCC?

Thanks!

Old 03-07-2012, 09:57 PM
Originally Posted by gleek48
Looks great!

Any rubbing issues with the new wheels? What are the offsets and widths?

What model number are they?

Do you know if aftermarket wheels (with different offsets/sizes) work with PDCC?

Thanks!
Thanks. I had to leave quickly today and will be back at the shop on Saturday and will check the offset. Front wheels are 20 x 8.5 and back wheels 20 x 11.
No idea about PDCC (I do not have it) but I would assume it would work with aftermarket wheels.
I have been driving real hard today through tight corners and uneven pavement and have not had the slightest rubbing issue. I discussed with the shop about lowering the car by a little less than 1" in the future and they were pretty confident that there would still be no rubbing (esp. considering the camber and the suspension design).

Old 03-07-2012, 11:33 PM
ReconTrojan is on a distinguished road
Probably in the minority but I loved the OEM wheels you had on it better. But if you're happy that's all that matters. I give you credit you waste zero time modifying your cars. Will you keep your OEM wheels to change up the look from time to time? Also are you going to lose the chrome exhaust tips to something black and take off the chrome badging?

Last edited by ReconTrojan; 03-07-2012 at 11:35 PM.
Old 03-08-2012, 03:48 AM
Banned
speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !
Yep. saw a white one at the release the other night and i must say it was truly stunning. It really goes well with the new body. Enjoy!

Old 03-08-2012, 04:08 PM
Originally Posted by ReconTrojan
Probably in the minority but I loved the OEM wheels you had on it better. But if you're happy that's all that matters. I give you credit you waste zero time modifying your cars. Will you keep your OEM wheels to change up the look from time to time? Also are you going to lose the chrome exhaust tips to something black and take off the chrome badging?
I love the OEM wheels too. I just like black rims more I'll keep my OEM wheels, at least for some time and may be using them again in the future.
I have already looked for black tips and could not find any. Painting/powder coating is not an option. Black badging is being studied...

Originally Posted by speed21
Yep. saw a white one at the release the other night and i must say it was truly stunning. It really goes well with the new body. Enjoy!
Thanks!

Old 03-08-2012, 04:18 PM
ReconTrojan is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by SM_ATL
I love the OEM wheels too. I just like black rims more I'll keep my OEM wheels, at least for some time and may be using them again in the future.
I have already looked for black tips and could not find any. Painting/powder coating is not an option. Black badging is being studied...

Thanks!

I have found black tips for my Porsche, M5 and M3 here in SoCal called AAA Performance Exhaust, I think they have a site and they have about 5-60 different styles and sizes including techart knockoffs as well as ACS. If you want to maintain your quad look I know they can do that easily.

Badging will be as simple as powder coating if you want to keep what you have. When I get my Targa it will just be the Targa 4S the porsche is gone. But I know you like badges more than I but thats why we have our own styles.

Good luck.

Old 03-08-2012, 04:30 PM
hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !
"R" stripes trial and end of story

Kyle got me the stripes in 2 days and I got them professionally installed since I screwed up with vinyl in the past trying to do it myself:

Here's the final result from a few different angles:

Well, to be perfectly honest... hum... it turns out that I like it a lot less on the car than I thought.
The stripes have been on the car for a couple of hours, but she's now back to a perfectly immaculate white finish.
I am happy I tried even it did not work for me. Still have something in mind I'll experiment tomorrow!
Your design was TOO straight and therefore it separated your top and bottom of the car and - in fact - make it look much higher and less sleek.

Seriously... you should try a GT3RSR type lettering / decal like some of them have laid-out on the fenders and hood. That may do the trick!!! See pic attached... You would be in good company !!

Attached Images  

Last edited by hroussard; 03-08-2012 at 05:02 PM.
Old 03-08-2012, 04:56 PM
AG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks!
Wow! The new wheels look great. The not-so-old wheels looked great as well.

I lowered my Mustang for stability and put it on OZ racing wheels with drag-radials and it definitely improved the stance. However, when you go over any type of sand or gravel, your wheel wells sound like a pachinko machine. Likely not doing any damage, but it sounds awful.

Anyway, great build.

Old 03-08-2012, 06:23 PM
buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !
Car looks great...

interesting info on the tracking...thanks

Old 03-08-2012, 07:00 PM
catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !

looks great, but one little thought,
i know that the color of the emblem on the center cap matches the hood emblem, but to give it the ultimate sporty look, i would consider these:

they look sportier and they match the silver rotors (better)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/QTY-4-PORSCHE-WHEEL-BLACK-CENTER-CAPS-911-993-996-997-/260608870979

looks better on a ferrari too imho

(599 FXX)

Old 03-08-2012, 07:47 PM
fbroen is a splendid one to beholdfbroen is a splendid one to beholdfbroen is a splendid one to beholdfbroen is a splendid one to beholdfbroen is a splendid one to beholdfbroen is a splendid one to behold
This Pfaff stripe looks pretty good, me thinks.

http://www.madwhips.com/porsche-991-carrera-s/

Old 03-08-2012, 07:49 PM
fbroen is a splendid one to beholdfbroen is a splendid one to beholdfbroen is a splendid one to beholdfbroen is a splendid one to beholdfbroen is a splendid one to beholdfbroen is a splendid one to behold
I like the monochrome wheel centers better than the colored ones.

One thing that is free in the builder!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 7 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: SM_ATL's Carrera S Journal