SM_ATL's Carrera S Journal

Old 04-03-2012, 09:28 PM
tachyon is a name known to alltachyon is a name known to alltachyon is a name known to alltachyon is a name known to alltachyon is a name known to alltachyon is a name known to all
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by SM_ATL
I just traded in my -6 months old- Cayman R for a 991S. I thought I was stronger than that and could resist longer, but a clutch failure (after only 6,000 miles, grrrrrr ) brought me to the dealer who had just received a beautiful white Carrera S with the options I would have picked myself: PDK, PSE, Sport Chrono package (and a few others - I'll post a complete list later). The only important thing missing was the PDCC but the car does OK without it.

Here's a pic of the Cayman R and the new Carrera S:

This is only my second Porsche and my first 911 and I am the happiest man on earth
Once I get a car, I have a tendency of getting obsessed with it and spending months ...a some dough... making modifications and small changes to improve and personalize it. Do not hesitate to check the links you'll find in my signature.
I have a few ideas in mind for the new one, but nothing dramatic. Therefore the reason why I called this thread a 'Journal' and not a 'Build thread' this time, but who knows?

Hopefully more pics (and a few mods) this Sunday if the weather is good!
congrat

Old 04-04-2012, 07:01 AM
SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by tachyon
congrat
Thanks! My odometer is already reading 3,600 miles and I am still as excited as on the first day. Best toy I've owned so far.

Old 04-04-2012, 12:49 PM
SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by fbroen
Any word on the Speedart spoiler delivery date? Very curious to see it "in person" and hear more about it. I find the Speedart pics not the clearest view of it.
Nope
Was hoping to hear something today but nothing yet. Grrrrr
Should be 2 weeks out at the max. My shop is telling me I could be the first 991 lowered and with the Speedart spoiler in the US. I do not care about being the 1st or the 100th, I am just craving for it

Old 04-04-2012, 02:09 PM
fbroen is a splendid one to beholdfbroen is a splendid one to beholdfbroen is a splendid one to beholdfbroen is a splendid one to beholdfbroen is a splendid one to beholdfbroen is a splendid one to behold
Ah, two weeks. I think I know roughly how looooong that will feel. Have an appointment with GT-Silver something or other in Zuffenhausen in two weeks...

Old 04-04-2012, 02:12 PM
vdubjetta02 is on a distinguished road
Hey I remember you from Audizine.... you sure change cars quickly! I liked your cayman R, but I bet the new S is just as fun

Old 04-04-2012, 03:02 PM
Ah, two weeks. I think I know roughly how looooong that will feel. Have an appointment with GT-Silver something or other in Zuffenhausen in two weeks...
I'd rather get sedated for 2 weeks than to have to endure the wait if I were you.
In fact it's no so bad. Just think about what you were doing 2 weeks ago and it will feel like it was yesterday.... Well, Zuffenhausen is for tomorrow

Old 04-04-2012, 03:13 PM
Originally Posted by vdubjetta02
Hey I remember you from Audizine.... you sure change cars quickly! I liked your cayman R, but I bet the new S is just as fun
It is actually even more fun. The S4 was just one year ago and I thought that it was already more than what I needed and could handle (and the same applied to the Cayman R). I hope I am reaching a plateau with the 991!
Nice to meet the same car enthusiasts on these different forums

Old 04-08-2012, 07:19 PM
fbroen is a splendid one to beholdfbroen is a splendid one to beholdfbroen is a splendid one to beholdfbroen is a splendid one to beholdfbroen is a splendid one to beholdfbroen is a splendid one to behold
SM_ATL, are you thinking new wing in black a-la Cayman R?

Old 04-08-2012, 07:30 PM
SM_ATL, are you thinking new wing in black a-la Cayman R?
No, I'll go with SpeedART's suggested colors -that include some black-:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/60293300@N06/6837374722/
But while the car is at the shop to get the spoiler and new springs installed, I'll get the rear view mirrors painted black, like on the Cayman R.
Also still have red seatbelts (with no ETA) on order too... Also 'a la C R'

Old 04-08-2012, 07:45 PM
Rear emblem and license plate

While I was on vacation in Florida for a week (with the P-car of course...) I received 2 little things that had been awaited for a long time:

Black rear Carrera S emblem to replace the decal I had. Nothing else than a 997 Carrera (GT)S emblem purchased from Suncoast in fact. Like it better than the decal.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/60293300@N06/6912834140/
Personalized license plate. Nothing hugely original and I just wanted something a little out of the ordinary but understated and that would not be necessarily identified by non car enthusiasts
http://www.flickr.com/photos/60293300@N06/6912840206/
...and the combo:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/60293300@N06/7058919219/

Old 04-08-2012, 08:32 PM
Black mirrors will looks sweet. Emblem is money. I didn't realize your prior one was decal only.

Will you be doing anything to the front lip in addition to SPASM lip to offset rear extra downforce from the wing?

Old 04-09-2012, 10:21 AM
Black mirrors will looks sweet. Emblem is money. I didn't realize your prior one was decal only.

Will you be doing anything to the front lip in addition to SPASM lip to offset rear extra downforce from the wing?
Not sure there would be any real imbalance or increased understeer with the SpeedART rear spoiler only. I hope to have the spoiler installed before my next track day (4/21) so that I'd be able to tell if there is any noticeable difference.

Old 04-09-2012, 10:58 PM
Dern it, I was hoping you would have sniffed out a front lip closer to the GTS or a GT3. A black lip that would continue around the sides to the wheel well would look sweet IMO.

I do find the SPASM lip a bit unorthodox in its centered design. One of my favorite features of the Cayman R is the front apron design -- which kinda does the opposite in that it is lower at the corners than the center.

The center low point makes me think a bit of Filmore the VW van in Pixar's "Cars", you know, the goatee licence plate, lol. It is subtle of course. And I mean no offense -- I have a SPASM lip coming myself.

Old 04-10-2012, 02:14 AM
wa1l1in is a glorious beacon of lightwa1l1in is a glorious beacon of lightwa1l1in is a glorious beacon of lightwa1l1in is a glorious beacon of lightwa1l1in is a glorious beacon of lightwa1l1in is a glorious beacon of light
New wheels... and their first trip

I made sure I could run the Tail of the Dragon a couple of times:

I have been on US129 with all my recent cars, including numerous runs with my Cayman R. I certainly had as much pleasure, if not more, with the 991. It may not be as nimble in tight corners and the road feel through the 991 steering system may not be as good, but the overall performance delivered by the chassis + engine + PDK pushes out the limit of what you can accomplish.

Time for a last pic before the sunset:

PS: now the car really needs a drop (~1")!!
it keeps track of route driven? i assume only with sport chrono? thats really cool.

Old 04-10-2012, 09:14 PM
Just received this pic from Eric @ Bumperplugs...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/60293300@N06/7066519725/
White 'reflectors' should be on the car this week end! Yummy

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 7 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: SM_ATL's Carrera S Journal