SM_ATL's Carrera S Journal

Old 04-12-2012, 05:27 PM
SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !
White reflectors installed

Got them in the mail today. 3minutes install! Just crappy iPhone pics for now, I'll do a more complete photoshoot soon (bigger mods scheduled for next week ).

Before:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/60293300@N06/7072147569/
After:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/60293300@N06/7072146335/
Step by step...
2 reflectors:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/60293300@N06/6926068580/
1 reflector:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/60293300@N06/7072145967/
No reflector:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/60293300@N06/7072147737/

Old 04-12-2012, 07:27 PM
JCBH is a splendid one to beholdJCBH is a splendid one to beholdJCBH is a splendid one to beholdJCBH is a splendid one to beholdJCBH is a splendid one to beholdJCBH is a splendid one to beholdJCBH is a splendid one to behold
Great job! Looks a lot better! Excellent mod, for sure.

Old 04-12-2012, 10:07 PM
SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !
Thinking about another stripes theme...

For track days... or more permanently. With Carrera S instead of GT3 of course.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/60293300@N06/7072709615/
Too much? Thoughts and feedback / suggestions appreciated

Old 04-12-2012, 10:48 PM
Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by SM_ATL

It's hard to tell till it's on there... maybe do some photoshop with your 991 to get a better idea.

Old 04-14-2012, 03:30 PM
Former Vendor
Eric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond repute
SM....looks AWESOME installed! Love the look. Thanks for posting the pics.

Anyone else w/questions on this feel free to email me anytime: eric@bumperplugs.com

Core swap available.

Old 04-14-2012, 04:06 PM
AG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond repute

I like the reflector change. I am still checking to see if it is legal in NJ. You are one of the first I know of to have a 991 and one of even fewer to have gone to the track. Are you noticing buffeting at speeds with the windows open? I just passed 500 mi and have started using sport mode and upping the revs - while varying them as much as possible. On a highway today, I was doing 92 - I was not intending to do so, boy does this car get up there quickly - in 5th with just the driver's side window and when I went around a curve and caught the wind right, I thought the whole car was vibrating.

Have you had similar experiences?
Thanks in advance

Old 04-14-2012, 04:57 PM
Originally Posted by AG991
I like the reflector change. I am still checking to see if it is legal in NJ. You are one of the first I know of to have a 991 and one of even fewer to have gone to the track. Are you noticing buffeting at speeds with the windows open? I just passed 500 mi and have started using sport mode and upping the revs - while varying them as much as possible. On a highway today, I was doing 92 - I was not intending to do so, boy does this car get up there quickly - in 5th with just the driver's side window and when I went around a curve and caught the wind right, I thought the whole car was vibrating.

Have you had similar experiences?
Thanks in advance
Yes, buffeting is an issue. Not at 'usual' speeds but in the back straight of Road Atlanta it really feels like strong vibrations around 130 mph. No issue below 120 mph. The organizers did not want me to slightly open to sunroof to avoid the buffeting
I have already been faster than that with the window closed and everything is super stable and quiet.
I'll be back at the track next week end (Barber Motorsportspark) and see if I have the same buffeting problem.
I have not checked if the reflectors are legal or not. They are useless anyhow on modern cars that have reliable LED lights IMHO.

Last edited by SM_ATL; 04-14-2012 at 06:09 PM.
Old 04-14-2012, 05:20 PM
hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Psycho Sid
It's hard to tell till it's on there... maybe do some photoshop with your 991 to get a better idea.
That's very nice. It's sleek and it adds to the idea of a speeding car. Perfect!!!

Old 04-14-2012, 05:27 PM
hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Psycho Sid
That's very nice. It's sleek and it adds to the idea of a speeding car. Perfect!!!

Old 04-14-2012, 10:09 PM
AG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond repute
Yes, buffeting is an issue. Not at 'usual' speeds but in the back straight of Road Atlanta it really feels like strong vibrations around 130 mph. No issue below 120 mph. The organizers did not want me to slightly open to sunroof to avoid the buffeting
I have already been faster than that with the window closed and everything is super stable and quiet.
I'll be back at the track next week end (Barber Motorsportspark) and see if I have the same buffeting problem.
I have not checked if the reflectors are legal or not. They are useless anyhow on modern cars that have reliable LED lights IMHO.
Thanks. I am not sure whether to be happy or not that it is not just me. As for whether or not the reflectors make sense, since when does the law care about practicle things like that.

Old 04-15-2012, 05:53 AM
Originally Posted by hroussard
If I can get decals in time, I'll give it a try for next week end at the track and I'll see if I want to keep it or not

Old 04-16-2012, 08:33 PM
Car is at the shop... work in progress

Dropped the car at the shop this morning and Speedart parts had not been delivered, with no updated ETA, Grrr... Not the shop's fault, the importer does not seem to be good at tracking his stuff.

Got a few things underway though.

Mirror covers removed to be painted gloss black:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/60293300@N06/7086007887/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/60293300@N06/7086007371/
Took some measurements so that Kyle @ kistudios.com could adjust the size of his 997 GT3 'checker' decal kit.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/60293300@N06/6939935212/
More news tomorrow I hope...

Old 04-18-2012, 05:14 PM
New stripes!

Started to install the stripes today. Looks like Kyle did a fantastic job at adapting his GT3 kit to the 991

http://www.flickr.com/photos/60293300@N06/6945222588/
Meanwhile, the long awaited SpeedART parts are still nowhere to be found with the importer not able to track them
I guess I'll need to have the car at the shop another time and will not have the springs for the track this week end

Old 04-18-2012, 05:49 PM
catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !
New stripes!

Started to install the stripes today. Looks like Kyle did a fantastic job at adapting his GT3 kit to the 991

Meanwhile, the long awaited SpeedART parts are still nowhere to be found with the importer not able to track them
I guess I'll need to have the car at the shop another time and will not have the springs for the track this week end
looks promising!

Old 04-18-2012, 05:58 PM
gleek48 is a splendid one to beholdgleek48 is a splendid one to beholdgleek48 is a splendid one to beholdgleek48 is a splendid one to beholdgleek48 is a splendid one to beholdgleek48 is a splendid one to behold
I like the look a lot. I want to try some sort of stripes (kind of like what you started with), but will wait for a little while.

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 7 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: SM_ATL's Carrera S Journal