New 991... squeaks and rattles, hood issue?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-29-2012, 09:36 AM
fixedupw203 is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by dakine
The new 991's have a sensor in the front to open the trunk. When you swipe your hands across it opens. I'm guessing the pressure initiates this also. My suggestion would be to lock the car when spraying water on it.
I thought about this too but the whole purpose of easy entry is to "Unlock" the trunk when you are nearby, key in your pocket and you swipe in front (or I guess, apply water pressure). Doesn't the easy entry unlock the truck as well as pop it open or does it only pop it open if the car is unlocked?

I ask this because it would be ineffective if you have to first unlock the car and then swipe your hand in order to open up the trunk.

I think the only way to prevent it from opening is to place the keys out of range.

Old 03-29-2012, 09:45 AM
dakine has much to be proud ofdakine has much to be proud ofdakine has much to be proud ofdakine has much to be proud ofdakine has much to be proud ofdakine has much to be proud ofdakine has much to be proud ofdakine has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by fixedupw203
I thought about this too but the whole purpose of easy entry is to "Unlock" the trunk when you are nearby, key in your pocket and you swipe in front (or I guess, apply water pressure). Doesn't the easy entry unlock the truck as well as pop it open or does it only pop it open if the car is unlocked?

I ask this because it would be ineffective if you have to first unlock the car and then swipe your hand in order to open up the trunk.

I think the only way to prevent it from opening is to place the keys out of range.
I think you are right. Might have to just place the keys out of range. Kind of silly. Hmm

Old 03-29-2012, 10:28 AM
fixedupw203 is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by dakine
I think you are right. Might have to just place the keys out of range. Kind of silly. Hmm
I haven't gotten my car yet but from all accounts, the whole easy/entry is silly.

No button (dummy key) is my biggest worry with a cab on order. I just know some idiot is going to think I left the key in the ignition and try and break in. They should have just bit the bullet and put a damn button on the car to fire it up. I get that it takes away from the "Porsche" heritage but give me a break.

Old 03-29-2012, 10:36 AM
fbroen is a splendid one to beholdfbroen is a splendid one to beholdfbroen is a splendid one to beholdfbroen is a splendid one to beholdfbroen is a splendid one to beholdfbroen is a splendid one to behold
Agree. Just put the button on the left.

I skipped the option due to the dummy key.

Old 03-29-2012, 10:52 AM
991_Omaha is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by fixedupw203

Well, with the key in my pocket and standing a couple feet away at the quarter car wash- you spray the front clip and the trunk pops up. At first I was worried something was wrong with the latch and the trunk would pop open at speed but now that the keyless deal is the culprit I guess I'm okay. I think the only way to overcome this is to keep the key out of range. The issue is that this isn't always possible at places like a quarter car wash, lol.

I like the keyless deal overall; just this hood thing is a nuisance. I typically let the car warm up for a few minutes before driving off because I'm a somewhat "spirited driver". The keyless allows me to start the car and go back in the house without having to worry about someone taking off with the car. They may get it; but they won't be able to restart it if they shut it off.

Old 03-29-2012, 12:17 PM
GS997S has a reputation beyond reputeGS997S has a reputation beyond reputeGS997S has a reputation beyond reputeGS997S has a reputation beyond reputeGS997S has a reputation beyond reputeGS997S has a reputation beyond reputeGS997S has a reputation beyond reputeGS997S has a reputation beyond reputeGS997S has a reputation beyond reputeGS997S has a reputation beyond reputeGS997S has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by 991_Omaha
Second... I'm new to Porsche, my first one... so I may be a little ignorant to this... but when I was power washing the car...
You power wash your new 991?

Old 03-29-2012, 01:28 PM
991_Omaha is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by GS997S
You power wash your new 991?
Yep.... If it can't handle power washing; it'll never make it during a Nebraska thunderstorm Bugs are killer here.

Old 03-29-2012, 05:47 PM
af330i has a spectacular aura aboutaf330i has a spectacular aura aboutaf330i has a spectacular aura about
I know others have posted this but yes every car I have with Keyless (BMW, Audi, Mercedes, Corvette, etc) they all do the same thing ... when the key is in the pocket the pressure from the hose opens the car like it is your hand touching it ...

Old 03-29-2012, 06:13 PM
ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by af330i
I know others have posted this but yes every car I have with Keyless (BMW, Audi, Mercedes, Corvette, etc) they all do the same thing ... when the key is in the pocket the pressure from the hose opens the car like it is your hand touching it ...
Would it open the trunk if you walked by the front of the car to get in while in a heavy rain, sleet or hail?

ChuckJ

Last edited by ChuckJ; 03-29-2012 at 06:16 PM.
Old 03-29-2012, 08:00 PM
tachyon is a name known to alltachyon is a name known to alltachyon is a name known to alltachyon is a name known to alltachyon is a name known to alltachyon is a name known to all
I wanted to get a coat of wax on it before the 500 mile drive for clear bra install (bugs and stuff). I'm shooting across rural Iowa to Chicago and the bugs there are the size of quarters, lol. I also used this awesome wax called Pinnacle Souveran. The stuff is amazing. The dealer didn't tell me not wax it or anything. I figured the clear bra installer will take the wax off the areas I'm putting the bra on so I'd hit it again after the clear bra install to make sure its 100% covered.
maybe it's little off the topic but can you tell me how you like the wax you use for your ext. color?

Old 03-31-2012, 02:31 PM
chance6 is a splendid one to beholdchance6 is a splendid one to beholdchance6 is a splendid one to beholdchance6 is a splendid one to beholdchance6 is a splendid one to beholdchance6 is a splendid one to behold
nice car! Take good care of it ! btw you won't regret the clear bra.

I'm curious how the new S sounds on the 991...and how you like the Porsche sound symposer.

Old 04-01-2012, 08:09 AM
jmmk is a name known to alljmmk is a name known to alljmmk is a name known to alljmmk is a name known to alljmmk is a name known to alljmmk is a name known to all
Originally Posted by ChuckJ
Would it open the trunk if you walked by the front of the car to get in while in a heavy rain, sleet or hail?

ChuckJ
You don't have to touch the car to open the front hatch. You just hold your hand between the emblem and the license plate area (Porsche calls this the number plate). It won't open unless your hand is both in the correct position and after a few seconds delay. The delay is what keeps it from being accidental. I doubt if it is the pressure that is opening it. More likely it is the metallic wand transferring your "you-ness" down to the correct location for the sensor. Keep moving instead of concentrating in that spot and you will probably be okay. If not, something may be wrong with the system.

Old 04-01-2012, 09:12 AM
the2thdr has a spectacular aura aboutthe2thdr has a spectacular aura about
Delivery day pics....
Gorgeous car. Enjoy.

On a side note, I don't think you will find any car that has a perfect paint finish. Not saying that that is a reflection of the factory, but more so the pre-delivery inspection/prep work that occurs prior to a customer taking possession.

One of the first things I do on a vehicle is have it detailed thoroughly and waxed and sealed. Then, I place a front end wrap of Venture Shield on the vehicle which includes the entire front hood, front bumper, front fenders, A-pillars, strip above the windshield, mirrors, rocker panels, and a swath behind each rear wheel.

I have done that on my last 4 cars and I have not had one single issue with the paint on my cars. Prior to doing that I had an e46M3 that had the standard dealer application of protective film and the paint above that area was riddled with chips.

I think that the majority of us take great pride in ownership of our vehicles, whether a Porsche or not, and to see chips on your car, whether old or new, just sucks.

Drive safe on your way to the appointment and by that I mean I hope you make it with no chips. Whenever I pick up a car, I always pick it up right before close or arrange a very late pick up in the evening when traffic is down to minimize damage.

Love to see more pics when you can snap them.

Old 04-01-2012, 09:44 AM
tachyon is a name known to alltachyon is a name known to alltachyon is a name known to alltachyon is a name known to alltachyon is a name known to alltachyon is a name known to all
Delivery day pics....
BEAU-------TI---FUL!!! they should've had it in the showroom when you pick up though! but love your car. agate grey?

Old 04-01-2012, 06:38 PM
ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by jmmk
You don't have to touch the car to open the front hatch. You just hold your hand between the emblem and the license plate area (Porsche calls this the number plate). It won't open unless your hand is both in the correct position and after a few seconds delay. The delay is what keeps it from being accidental. I doubt if it is the pressure that is opening it. More likely it is the metallic wand transferring your "you-ness" down to the correct location for the sensor. Keep moving instead of concentrating in that spot and you will probably be okay. If not, something may be wrong with the system.
Yep, seems like something's wrong.

ChuckJ

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: New 991... squeaks and rattles, hood issue?