New 991... squeaks and rattles, hood issue?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-02-2012, 08:03 AM
GamoX is on a distinguished road
And update on the squeeks and rattles?

Old 04-03-2012, 08:38 AM
991_Omaha is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by tachyon
maybe it's little off the topic but can you tell me how you like the wax you use for your ext. color?
I"ve been using the Pinnacle stuff forever. Every car I use to have was always black and there isn't a wax out there that can touch Pinnacle. Any darker color or reds just appear infinitely deep. The stuff really is amazing. The trick with it is to put one coat on, wait a week, and put on the second coat.

http://www.pinnaclewax.com/souveran.html

Sick stuff... but expensive. All the stuff they offer is awesome. I use advanced finishing polish first, then wax it.

Old 04-03-2012, 08:39 AM
Originally Posted by tachyon
BEAU-------TI---FUL!!! they should've had it in the showroom when you pick up though! but love your car. agate grey?
Yep.. Agate Grey.

Old 04-03-2012, 08:49 AM
Quick update.... on a few things. First- drove to Chicago for the weekend from Omaha. Its like a 6 hour drive. Made it in 5 Prior to leaving- I hardwire installed a 9500 ix. While in Chicago- I had two purposes. First was to go out and party, but second was a clear bra. After some Google searching I found a guy on a Corvette forum that was highly recommended in the Chicagoland area. Called him and he squeezed me in at the last minute. After a 5 hour install (I watched the whole thing) all I can say is the guy is a perfectionist and its absolutely flawless. He carry's both 3M and XPEL. After a quick test of which one looked better- I went with XPEL Ultimate. The stuff is awesome and you can't tell its even there. The install was completely flawless and the guy knew what he was doing. From what I hear- he does all the exotic dealers in the Chicagoland area. His website is www.body-skins.com

On the squeak- I think I found the culprit. I'm 80% sure its just the sunroof. After driving around downtown Chicago with the roof open; I realized it appears to only squeak when the roof is closed. I'm dropping it off to the dealer on Tuesday.

On the way back from Chicago... I did happen to find a long open stretch on I-80 between Des Moines and Council Bluff's IA. There weren't any cars around or in front of me so I stepped on the gas. I managed to hit 177 I did realize that the 991 does handle a lot better at high speeds than my C63 use to.

Now that I have almost 2000 miles from the trip.... track day this Friday.

I have to clean up the car from all the Iowa bugs sometime this week- I'll post pics of all the stuff installed when she's clean....

Old 04-03-2012, 09:06 AM
Originally Posted by the2thdr
Gorgeous car. Enjoy.

On a side note, I don't think you will find any car that has a perfect paint finish. Not saying that that is a reflection of the factory, but more so the pre-delivery inspection/prep work that occurs prior to a customer taking possession.

One of the first things I do on a vehicle is have it detailed thoroughly and waxed and sealed. Then, I place a front end wrap of Venture Shield on the vehicle which includes the entire front hood, front bumper, front fenders, A-pillars, strip above the windshield, mirrors, rocker panels, and a swath behind each rear wheel.

I have done that on my last 4 cars and I have not had one single issue with the paint on my cars. Prior to doing that I had an e46M3 that had the standard dealer application of protective film and the paint above that area was riddled with chips.

I think that the majority of us take great pride in ownership of our vehicles, whether a Porsche or not, and to see chips on your car, whether old or new, just sucks.

Drive safe on your way to the appointment and by that I mean I hope you make it with no chips. Whenever I pick up a car, I always pick it up right before close or arrange a very late pick up in the evening when traffic is down to minimize damage.

Love to see more pics when you can snap them.
I did the mirrors, front clip, and bikini cut on the hood. The installer has done several 991's already (he does the Porsche dealer in Chicago) and said that although he can sell me whatever- those are really the only places that need it. I did manage to make it there with only one really tiny chip on the bottom of the front clip. The bugs however were killer and it took $10 worth of power washing to get them off (won't use bug remover) when I got to Chicago and that was after a coat of wax, lol.

I think the XPEL film is going to kill 3M. It looks A LOT better than the 3M stuff on the car. The 3M has an orange peel type appearance to it and the XPEL stuff you can't even tell its on the car. Granted XPEL is a new company so who knows if they'll be around long enough to handle the 10 year warranty they offer... but then again I don't keep cars that long (3-4 years max) so I don't care. The installer also used the pre-cut kit (he has his own cutter) so it all came out perfect with no Xacto knife being used on my car.

Old 04-17-2012, 06:16 AM
Update.... took it to the dealer, the spent a week trying to find the squeak.... we *thought* we found the squeak, it was fixed... for like an hour. Squeak is back Dealer is going to call Porsche and figure out what next because they don't want to take the whole headliner down again... it might not fit correctly when they put it back up.

Old 04-17-2012, 06:42 AM
ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by 991_Omaha
Update.... took it to the dealer, the spent a week trying to find the squeak.... we *thought* we found the squeak, it was fixed... for like an hour. Squeak is back Dealer is going to call Porsche and figure out what next because they don't want to take the whole headliner down again... it might not fit correctly when they put it back up.

Sorry for your issue. I'm not sure what is worse, a squeak / rattle or an intermittent problem that goes away within 1 mile of the dealership.

ChuckJ

Old 04-17-2012, 06:45 AM
The problem is that if they keep taking down the headliner and putting it back up... the fitment is going to go to crap really quick. That...and they can't find the squeak source after tinkering for a week.

Old 04-17-2012, 09:04 AM
NSD991 is just really niceNSD991 is just really niceNSD991 is just really niceNSD991 is just really nice
[quote=991_Omaha;3504450]Quick update.... on a few things. First- drove to Chicago for the weekend from Omaha. Its like a 6 hour drive. Made it in 5 Prior to leaving- I hardwire installed a 9500 ix.

Mind if I ask how much to hardwire the 9500ix? My dealer ParkPlace in Dallas quoted me $355 yesterday. Thats even when they had to trailer my car to their shop because of a problem they created when I brought the car in for the recall. I live 100 miles away. I have bought 3 new cars from them in 3 years, I thought they would at least not try to pour salt in my wounds.

Old 04-17-2012, 09:06 AM
[quote=NSD991;3518122]
Quick update.... on a few things. First- drove to Chicago for the weekend from Omaha. Its like a 6 hour drive. Made it in 5 Prior to leaving- I hardwire installed a 9500 ix.

Mind if I ask how much to hardwire the 9500ix? My dealer ParkPlace in Dallas quoted me $355 yesterday. Thats even when they had to trailer my car to their shop because of a problem they created when I brought the car in for the recall. I live 100 miles away. I have bought 3 new cars from them in 3 years, I thought they would at least not try to pour salt in my wounds.
What?

Uhm... do it yourself. Its super easy. Plug into the passenger side fuse box and run the cable up to the detector. It took me 20 minutes total start to finish.

Old 04-17-2012, 09:17 AM
NSD991 is just really niceNSD991 is just really niceNSD991 is just really niceNSD991 is just really nice
[quote=991_Omaha;3518124]
Originally Posted by NSD991

What?

Uhm... do it yourself. Its super easy. Plug into the passenger side fuse box and run the cable up to the detector. It took me 20 minutes total start to finish.
Would you mind posting a photo of the exact location of the fuse you used? I'm useless and afraid ill do something wrong. Any pointers would be appreciated. Thank you. Didn't mean to hijack.

Old 04-17-2012, 05:21 PM
[quote=NSD991;3518136]

Would you mind posting a photo of the exact location of the fuse you used? I'm useless and afraid ill do something wrong. Any pointers would be appreciated. Thank you. Didn't mean to hijack.
Actually you can use any open fuse location. Mine is the 3rd one from the bottom. Only pointer is don't pull off panels. There is plenty of room to guide wire through with a coat hanger (steel coat hanger straightened out). I'll post pics shortly- gotta get to my computer.

Old 04-17-2012, 06:04 PM
[quote=991_Omaha;3518600]
Originally Posted by NSD991

Actually you can use any open fuse location. Mine is the 3rd one from the bottom. Only pointer is don't pull off panels. There is plenty of room to guide wire through with a coat hanger (steel coat hanger straightened out). I'll post pics shortly- gotta get to my computer.
Thank you!!!!

Old 04-17-2012, 06:43 PM
Neil Mccauley is a jewel in the roughNeil Mccauley is a jewel in the roughNeil Mccauley is a jewel in the roughNeil Mccauley is a jewel in the rough
I too had an annoying noise but it turned out to be a loose panel somewhere in the back. Dealer fixed it, now the console goes out on occasion. lol They ordered a new console, will take a month to come in. Sucks.

Old 04-17-2012, 06:55 PM
ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Neil Mccauley
I too had an annoying noise but it turned out to be a loose panel somewhere in the back. Dealer fixed it, now the console goes out on occasion. lol They ordered a new console, will take a month to come in. Sucks.
Are you talking about the Porsche Communications Management system?

ChuckJ

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: New 991... squeaks and rattles, hood issue?