Third Test Drive of the 991 (Manifold)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-28-2012, 11:19 AM
Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !
Third Test Drive of the 991 (Manifold)

I did my third test drive of the 991 today, this time a base 991 with MT and no additional performance options (PASM, PDCC, PTV, etc.).

To cut to the chase, I was impressed. This is an awesome car. The previous two test drives were with the 991S with PDK, and I didn't enjoy the car as much during those drives. Why the difference now? I'm not sure, but I suspect the main reasons are the MT, passive suspension, and getting used to the car.

To make a decent comparison, I first did an extensive drive with my 997, then a fairly long drive with the 991 on familiar and good roads, then right back to my 997 on the same roads.

In terms of the driving experience, broadly speaking I would say that the 997 is still the more dynamic car, and I enjoyed it more. It simply dances more. So for someone who likes the traditional 911 characteristics, IMO the 997 is the car to go with.

But the 991 is also a serious and thrilling sports car, not a watered down GT car, and I found that I was able to go around 10 mph faster in the 991 at the same confidence level as the 997 (eg, 90 vs 80, you guess the units). I don't have the skill level to drive either car at the limit, so I can't say firsthand which car is faster or more controllable at the limit, but the available lap times suggest that the 991 is faster, and that wouldn't surprise me. So for someone who doesn't give top priority to the classic 911 driving dynamics, and who likes the greater luxury of the 991, I think the 991 is the car to go with. Not better than the 997 in every way, but certainly better in some ways.

So the delicate question, is the 991 still a true 911? I think it depends on the person, and maybe also the configuration of the car. I'm willing to call it a 911, but there's also no denying that the changes are substantial, so I can see why some people will say that the 991 is the first generation of the successor to the 911, rather than the next generation of the 911. Again, we're dealing with a fuzzy set here, so a simple yes/no answer isn't in the cards, hence the irresolvable debate.

Some more specific observations:

- I think the exterior appearance of the car is fine. Still looks like a 911, albeit sleeker and wider. Somewhat menacing in a way that I like. I saw one in a silver today and I thought it was beautiful. And the 991 cab looks at least as good as the 997 cab.

- The interior looks more upscale than the 997, but the 997 interior feels more sporty, simple, and open. I suppose either is fine for me, though I have a preference for the 997.

- The seats in the 991 are more comfortable, though I never had an issue with the 997 seats.

- The steering wheel of the 991 seems to have a larger range of adjustability.

- The 991 steering does feel a bit more numb than the 997, but it's plenty precise. I hope they go back to hydraulic steering, but I can live with the electric steering.

- I don't like having 7 speeds, but the shifter in the 991 feels more precise and has a nice 'snap' to it. The positioning definitely feels different than the 997, but I could easily get used to it. The pedal positioning also feels just fine, and in fact I found that heel/toe seems easier in the 991.

- The brakes feel plenty strong and nicely progressive in both cars.

- If you have MT and keep the revs around noon, I think the base 991 has ample power. Sure, more would be nice, but it's not mandatory. My 997S does feel more powerful, but then it should, since it's an S.

- The sound of the 991 is good. Definitely sounds like a sports car. But it does have a bit of an 'artificial' quality to it compared to the sound of the 997, which I like better. I have some concern that the 991 sound could annoy me after a while, but that's just a guess.

- As I noted above, the 997 dynamics feel more lively and interactive, but the 991 feels faster and more stable. The 991 feels a bit more 'distant' from the driver and road, and I think this is part of why the 991 feels more luxurious. I think the ride quality of both cars is comparable.

The bottom line for me is that I'm not compelled to replace my 997 with a 991, especially given that I enjoy the 997 more, even though the 991 is better in some ways. But I certainly don't rule out eventually owning a 991, and I look forward to trying the new 991 variants and updates as they come out. And if I had no car right now and was shopping for a sports car in this price range to buy right away, and the 997 wasn't available, I do think I'd probably get a 991, either base or S, and definitely with MT.

Last edited by Manifold; 04-28-2012 at 11:24 AM.
Old 04-28-2012, 11:30 AM
adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !
Very good lucid review, I agree with.

Old 04-28-2012, 11:31 AM
gleek48 is a splendid one to beholdgleek48 is a splendid one to beholdgleek48 is a splendid one to beholdgleek48 is a splendid one to beholdgleek48 is a splendid one to beholdgleek48 is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by Manifold
So the delicate question, is the 991 still a true 911? I think it depends on the person, and maybe also the configuration of the car. I'm willing to call it a 911, but there's also no denying that the changes are substantial, so I can see why some people will say that the 991 is the first generation of the successor to the 911, rather than the next generation of the 911. Again, we're dealing with a fuzzy set here, so a simple yes/no answer isn't in the cards, hence the irresolvable debate.
Nice overall review, thanks!

But, I somewhat take exception with your experience to make this call quoted above. I find it funny/odd that you stated in another post that you haven't driven anything but 996 and 997's and yet you can make the call about the end of the true 911 and what true 911 driving dynamics are like. Many other folks (not me) would say that the 911 died with the 993.

Old 04-28-2012, 11:39 AM
Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by gleek48

But, I somewhat take exception with your experience to make this call quoted above. I find it funny/odd that you stated in another post that you haven't driven anything but 996 and 997's and yet you can make the call about the end of the true 911 and what true 911 driving dynamics are like. Many other folks (not me) would say that the 911 died with the 993.
Yes, I realize I'm vulnerable to that criticism. But (a) many guys with experience of many 911 generations have confirmed that feeling, (b) the 996/997 drive unlike any other car I've driven, including the 991, (c) the driving dynamics I perceive with the 996/997 make sense based on the physical parameters of the cars, and (d) the difference in driving dynamics I perceive with the 991 also make sense based on the changes in the physical parameters of the car. So I feel justified in sticking my neck out and making that statement, and I hope that my driving of older 911s will eventually confirm that.

But, again, I want to emphasize that the 991 is an outstanding car. 991 owners should be really happy to have one. I would just plead with you guys to drive the car the way it deserves to be driven, because it wants to be driven FAST (but stay safe).

Old 04-28-2012, 11:42 AM
tromero is a splendid one to beholdtromero is a splendid one to beholdtromero is a splendid one to beholdtromero is a splendid one to beholdtromero is a splendid one to beholdtromero is a splendid one to beholdtromero is a splendid one to behold
I couldn't have said it better. Undid swap my 997.2 for the 991 base MT and have grown to love the 991 although I do miss some characteristics of the 997. The base 991 does not have that artificial sound piped in if I am not mistaken.

Old 04-28-2012, 12:07 PM
I forget to mention that the sticker on the car is $93K, which can be reduced to under $90K by eliminating some options I don't consider essential. I think that's a very reasonable price for a sports car of this caliber.

Old 04-28-2012, 12:21 PM
ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !
[quote=Manifold;3528854]I did my third test drive of the 991 today, this time a base 991 with MT and no additional performance options (PASM, PDCC, PTV, etc.).

To cut to the chase, I was impressed. This is an awesome car. The previous two test drives were with the 991S with PDK, and I didn't enjoy the car as much during those drives. Why the difference now? I'm not sure, but I suspect the main reasons are the MT, passive suspension, and getting used to the car.

Nice write-up, Manifold!

You should add one more car to your test routine- a 1967 911. I think you will agree that the refinement difference between the 997 and the 991 is the same that you find between the a 901 model and the 997.

ChuckJ

Last edited by ChuckJ; 04-28-2012 at 12:29 PM.
Old 04-28-2012, 12:26 PM
SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !
Makes a lot of sense. I guess this is the post that could reconcile the pro-991 and pro-997er's

Old 04-28-2012, 12:34 PM
Originally Posted by SM_ATL
Makes a lot of sense. I guess this is the post that could reconcile the pro-991 and pro-997er's
I hope so. Both cars are outstanding, but in somewhat different ways. The key is for each person to choose the car which suits them best. "Know thyself."

Old 04-28-2012, 01:33 PM
tmg57 is a splendid one to beholdtmg57 is a splendid one to beholdtmg57 is a splendid one to beholdtmg57 is a splendid one to beholdtmg57 is a splendid one to beholdtmg57 is a splendid one to behold
Nice review. Thanks for posting.

Old 04-28-2012, 02:09 PM
adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Manifold
... (b) the 996/997 drive unlike any other car I've driven, including the 991, (c) the driving dynamics I perceive with the 996/997 make sense based on the physical parameters of the cars, and (d) the difference in driving dynamics I perceive with the 991 also make sense based on the changes in the physical parameters of the car. So I feel justified in sticking my neck out and making that statement, and I hope that my driving of older 911s will eventually confirm that....
And you are correct Sir!

Old 04-28-2012, 04:08 PM
AG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by gleek48

Here here! My prior point exactly.
As to the rest of your review, Manifold, I have a weak heart and I am not sure I will survive the shock. . Everyone's impressions will be different, of course, but I can see why you said much of what you said - positive and negative. My complements on the attempted objectivity!

And I would never question anyone wh decided they liked a 997 better. Drive what you love! And, Manifold, drive it in good health!

Old 04-28-2012, 04:18 PM
TorontoPF has a spectacular aura aboutTorontoPF has a spectacular aura about
Nice review manifold-only two comments of slightly different observations:

1. 7spd MT-The extra gear does not bother me one bit. If you are just cursing along the highway the extra gear is nice to bring the revs down. If you don't want to engage it ignore it. To me its nice to have the extra option. The gearing in the 7spd is just splendid.

2. Sound-7spd MT + PSE-unbelievable sound. Need to experience it for yourself. It makes the driving experience that much better. I have not even taken the revs past 4500k I am told it sounds more aggressive past this point.

Old 04-28-2012, 04:34 PM
wa1l1in is a glorious beacon of lightwa1l1in is a glorious beacon of lightwa1l1in is a glorious beacon of lightwa1l1in is a glorious beacon of lightwa1l1in is a glorious beacon of lightwa1l1in is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by tromero
I couldn't have said it better. Undid swap my 997.2 for the 991 base MT and have grown to love the 991 although I do miss some characteristics of the 997. The base 991 does not have that artificial sound piped in if I am not mistaken.
was told all 911's have the sound symposer setup, activated by the sport button..

it's not "artificial" sound... it's just sound from intake box routed into cabin in sport mode.

Old 04-28-2012, 04:51 PM
Originally Posted by wa1l1in
was told all 911's have the sound symposer setup, activated by the sport button..

it's not "artificial" sound... it's just sound from intake box routed into cabin in sport mode.
I did have the sport button on, mainly for greater throttle response.

I called the sound 'artificial' because that's how it struck me, without intending to make a statement either way regarding whether the method for achieving the sound should be labelled artificial.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Third Test Drive of the 991 (Manifold)