991 rear seats and kids

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-22-2012, 05:17 PM
chancludo is a splendid one to beholdchancludo is a splendid one to beholdchancludo is a splendid one to beholdchancludo is a splendid one to beholdchancludo is a splendid one to beholdchancludo is a splendid one to beholdchancludo is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by dougpark714
In the 991, is the back seat size smaller in the convertible versus coupe? I've heard in the 997, the passengers sat more upright in the convertible.
The size is the same but the back is more upright. Approx. 1.5in more forward at the top. That was the main reason why I went with the coupe.

Old 06-22-2012, 05:23 PM
chancludo is a splendid one to beholdchancludo is a splendid one to beholdchancludo is a splendid one to beholdchancludo is a splendid one to beholdchancludo is a splendid one to beholdchancludo is a splendid one to beholdchancludo is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by 998M
Kinds can go in a booster at 4 year and 40lbs. Although, preference is to keep them in a 5 point harness for as long as possible. My daughter is almost 5. She uses a booster in the back of the 991 and a 5 point in the other cars. I use the Harmony booster. It works well. I just sent an e-mail to Diono about the size of the Radian R100. The issue is the rear seat in the 991 is more narrow than the rear seat in the 997. If I can get the R100 to fit, it would be my preference since it is LATCH and 5 point harness.

A 5-point harness is preferable if the kid won't stay in the 3-point (slumps over, slouches, etc.). Experts point out that it's not the 5 points that matter but the positioning of the belt. There are vests that attach to 3-points that are very safe albeit a bit of a hassle to put on. I ended up buying 3 Bubble Bums which I absolutely love. They come with two belt-positioning loops around the hip as well as a shoulder belt positioning strap that ensures a great fit. Plus, the kids love them, they weigh close to nothing and are inflatable so we take them on our vacation trip as well. Absolutely fabulous. Check out the reviews.

Old 06-25-2012, 04:46 AM
Los Angeles is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by chancludo
A 5-point harness is preferable if the kid won't stay in the 3-point (slumps over, slouches, etc.). Experts point out that it's not the 5 points that matter but the positioning of the belt. There are vests that attach to 3-points that are very safe albeit a bit of a hassle to put on. I ended up buying 3 Bubble Bums which I absolutely love. They come with two belt-positioning loops around the hip as well as a shoulder belt positioning strap that ensures a great fit. Plus, the kids love them, they weigh close to nothing and are inflatable so we take them on our vacation trip as well. Absolutely fabulous. Check out the reviews.
THANKS FOR THIS LINK... THe seat looks perfect for when I have to drive carpool in my 991... Now if I could just find a rear facing infant seat I would be done.

Old 07-13-2012, 10:23 PM
Attilas is a jewel in the roughAttilas is a jewel in the roughAttilas is a jewel in the roughAttilas is a jewel in the rough
I was at the dealer yesterday and to my surprise i was able to fit my Chico keyfit 30 rear facing infant carrier in the back seat. The front seat was all the way forward (ie not useable), but didn't have to be tilted too far forward to the point that it would obstruct your view too much when turning to look out the right window. I don't know that I'd end up using it, but its good to know it fits just in case.

Old 03-16-2013, 02:26 PM
Spathiinc has a spectacular aura aboutSpathiinc has a spectacular aura about
Sorry for the thread bump, but my wife and I were going through this with our 991 C2S Cab and I wanted to share our findings.

We tried the following three front facing car seats for our 2 year old son:
Diono Radian R100
Britax Boulevard
Evenflo Tribute 5

They all fit in the back of our cab, but with varying degrees of bulkiness and leg room. The first one we got was the Radian R100, which fits well but it turns out to be very tall at 30+ inches. Not a huge problem, but it means you can't close the wind screen, which is a major bummer for my wife (and me since we carpool together). So we did a little more research and find a shorter one, the Britax Boulevard. It fits in the back as well, but it seemed to devour much more leg room than the Diono, and it was still too tall. When I say it consumes more leg room, I mean there was nearly zero leg room. Onto the cheapest of the bunch, the Evenflo. This one ended up providing the most leg room of the three, but it's still about an inch too tall for the wind screen to operate. I thought about just sawing off the top inch, but who knows how that would compromise the seat's safety. We're just going to have to deal with no wind screen till he's ready for a booster.

We already returned the Boulevard, but here are some pics of the Diono & Evenflo in the back of the Cab (Diono on driver side, Evenflo on passenger side). The Evenflo is the one we use, but we kept the Diono to use as a travel seat since it folds up nicely. Hope this helps other parents out there trying to making a decision.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Evenflo_01.jpg
Views:	1514
Size:	358.8 KB
ID:	221497   Click image for larger version

Name:	Evenflo_02.jpg
Views:	878
Size:	358.2 KB
ID:	221498   Click image for larger version

Name:	Diono_Evenflo_side_01.jpg
Views:	795
Size:	389.2 KB
ID:	221499   Click image for larger version

Name:	Diono_Evenflo_side_02.jpg
Views:	818
Size:	387.1 KB
ID:	221500   Click image for larger version

Name:	Diono_Evenflo_rearview.jpg
Views:	609
Size:	323.8 KB
ID:	221501  

Old 03-16-2013, 02:39 PM
CO997 has much to be proud ofCO997 has much to be proud ofCO997 has much to be proud ofCO997 has much to be proud ofCO997 has much to be proud ofCO997 has much to be proud ofCO997 has much to be proud ofCO997 has much to be proud ofCO997 has much to be proud ofCO997 has much to be proud of
I have the Britax Marathon in my cab. it is a bit of a tight fit so I took out the backseat seatback and that gave me about 2 more inches of room. I agree the Britax is way too tall for the windscreen, but it is low enough to allow the roof to close if needed. The best option for the backseats is a booster, but he's not old enough for one of those yet.

Originally Posted by Spathiinc
Sorry for the thread bump, but my wife and I were going through this with our 991 C2S Cab and I wanted to share our findings.

We tried the following three front facing car seats for our 2 year old son:
Diono Radian R100
Britax Boulevard
Evenflo Tribute 5

They all fit in the back of our cab, but with varying degrees of bulkiness and leg room. The first one we got was the Radian R100, which fits well but it turns out to be very tall at 30+ inches. Not a huge problem, but it means you can't close the wind screen, which is a major bummer for my wife (and me since we carpool together). So we did a little more research and find a shorter one, the Britax Boulevard. It fits in the back as well, but it seemed to devour much more leg room than the Diono, and it was still too tall. When I say it consumes more leg room, I mean there was nearly zero leg room. Onto the cheapest of the bunch, the Evenflo. This one ended up providing the most leg room of the three, but it's still about an inch too tall for the wind screen to operate. I thought about just sawing off the top inch, but who knows how that would compromise the seat's safety. We're just going to have to deal with no wind screen till he's ready for a booster.

We already returned the Boulevard, but here are some pics of the Diono & Evenflo in the back of the Cab (Diono on driver side, Evenflo on passenger side). The Evenflo is the one we use, but we kept the Diono to use as a travel seat since it folds up nicely. Hope this helps other parents out there trying to making a decision.

Old 03-16-2013, 03:31 PM
Hello All,

So I have a bubble bum car seat for my 6 year old and I have an Aton seat for my 1 year old (rear facing) But my 1 year old is out growing his rear facing Aton Car seat. What I need now is a rear facing (I live in california) for my younger one that can be latched in and rear facing for a 31 inch kid and 30 lbs.

Thanks all,

Old 03-16-2013, 04:21 PM
CO997 has much to be proud ofCO997 has much to be proud ofCO997 has much to be proud ofCO997 has much to be proud ofCO997 has much to be proud ofCO997 has much to be proud ofCO997 has much to be proud ofCO997 has much to be proud ofCO997 has much to be proud ofCO997 has much to be proud of
According to the 991 manual:
So unless I am reading this wrong, we are NOT supposed to put a rear facing car seat in the back seats. If you need to use a rear facing seat it needs to go in the passenger seat. Forward facing only in the rear seats.

Attached Images  
Old 03-16-2013, 04:37 PM
Originally Posted by CO997
So unless I am reading this wrong, we are NOT supposed to put a rear facing car seat in the back seats. If you need to use a rear facing seat it needs to go in the passenger seat. Forward facing only in the rear seats.
It seems a little ambiguous... but the issue for me is that I live in california... and the laws here require the child to be facing backwards for 2 years....

I dont see in the documentation where it says a child should not be rear facing in the back seat.

Old 03-16-2013, 06:00 PM
Originally Posted by Los Angeles
It seems a little ambiguous... but the issue for me is that I live in california... and the laws here require the child to be facing backwards for 2 years....

I dont see in the documentation where it says a child should not be rear facing in the back seat.

I hear ya. I'd prefer if there was a rear facing option. What I took from the manual was that they only mentioned a rear facing going in the passenger seat and that all others were forward facing. I would have expected a rear facing in the back seat paragraph if they approved or designed the seats for it.

I have looked quite a bit and tried a few and I havent' found anything. I'd think that if it's a law in Cali the dealer would have some idea of what fits, I"m sure others have had the same questions so they should have information.
If you do find a good rear facing seat that fits in the rear of the 991 please post the details!!

Old 03-16-2013, 07:27 PM
deeznutz is just really nicedeeznutz is just really nicedeeznutz is just really nicedeeznutz is just really nice
Hello All,

So I have a bubble bum car seat for my 6 year old and I have an Aton seat for my 1 year old (rear facing) But my 1 year old is out growing his rear facing Aton Car seat. What I need now is a rear facing (I live in california) for my younger one that can be latched in and rear facing for a 31 inch kid and 30 lbs.

Thanks all,
Any pictures of the aton rear facing in your 991? is the front seat usable at all or not with the aton behind it?

Old 03-16-2013, 08:14 PM
frank69m has a spectacular aura aboutfrank69m has a spectacular aura about
Has anyone tried the Porsche seat in the rear for the 991:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Porsche-Chil...91df9c&vxp=mtr

Do they even still sell them? I couldn't find it on the Porsche site.

Old 03-16-2013, 08:42 PM
Aerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by CO997
I think you're reading this right. Younger children (up to 20 lbs) should be in rear-facing car seats. For most cars, this would be in the back seats. However, I suspect the 911 back seats are not designed to handle the rear-facing car seats, so they recommend the passenger seat for rear-facing. The key here is that the passenger airbag would be disabled (based on the weight on the passenger seat). You absolutely don't want to have a rear-facing seat where an airbag would deploy (e.g. in older cars without passenger seat airbag deactivation).

Old 03-16-2013, 08:59 PM

I believe CO997 and Aerodude are right. I don't read the passage as ambiguous. For reference (and for people who don't want to read sideways ), http://www.porscheownersmanuals.com/...s-manual/6/42/ says explicitly

Group 0 and 0+: Children up to 29 lbs (13 kg)
Children of this weight must be transported in a restraint system which is installed on the passenger's seat facing rearward.
I read the italicized part as "installed on the passenger's seat and facing rearward", which means no rearward facing seats in the back.

I'm glad my kids are full-on in the booster stage!

Old 03-17-2013, 08:40 AM
Originally Posted by chancludo
I believe CO997 and Aerodude are right. I don't read the passage as ambiguous. For reference (and for people who don't want to read sideways ), http://www.porscheownersmanuals.com/...s-manual/6/42/ says explicitly

I read the italicized part as "installed on the passenger's seat and facing rearward", which means no rearward facing seats in the back.

I'm glad my kids are full-on in the booster stage!

Lol!! That's for the assistance. I just can't seem to get my pictures right. No idea why thru show up sideways and upside down.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 991 rear seats and kids