S or 4S. Which would you prefer and why?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-31-2012, 06:04 PM
S-B-D will become famous soon enoughS-B-D will become famous soon enough
S or 4S. Which would you prefer and why?

Please discuss. Is the AWD traction worth giving up the more pure and sharper RWD experience? I had an Audi RS4, and now a BMW M3, so I'v experienced both, but how does it really compare on the 911? Trying to make a decision on which way to go.

Old 05-31-2012, 06:19 PM
uhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant future
Having driven both I can tell that the 4WD has the wider body and the more planted (not going anywhere feel) while the 2RWD is move "lively" with the back nicely slipping out from time to time. I have gone back and forth with this decision and since the car is a DD for winter I like the security of 4WD - however I just might change my mind to try something different

PS - The M3 is sweet but once you get into these 911's they are so addictive I don't think I could ever not have one in my garage.

Old 05-31-2012, 09:24 PM
DS997c2s is a splendid one to beholdDS997c2s is a splendid one to beholdDS997c2s is a splendid one to beholdDS997c2s is a splendid one to beholdDS997c2s is a splendid one to beholdDS997c2s is a splendid one to beholdDS997c2s is a splendid one to beholdDS997c2s is a splendid one to behold
S in California
4S in Canada

Although the wide body on a 991 will be 2.4 inches wider.

Old 05-31-2012, 10:40 PM
Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !
Since you are in New England, you'll probably benefit from the 4 wheel drive. I've driven both and the 4S feels more stable, planted, gives you more confidence to drive faster.

Old 06-01-2012, 04:05 AM
19hole has much to be proud of19hole has much to be proud of19hole has much to be proud of19hole has much to be proud of19hole has much to be proud of19hole has much to be proud of19hole has much to be proud of19hole has much to be proud of19hole has much to be proud of
I have driven various 2 wheel drive 911's since 2004 all year long in New England without any issues. Just put on 4 good snow tires and you will be all set.

Old 06-01-2012, 05:48 AM
jordanpryce has a brilliant futurejordanpryce has a brilliant futurejordanpryce has a brilliant futurejordanpryce has a brilliant futurejordanpryce has a brilliant futurejordanpryce has a brilliant futurejordanpryce has a brilliant futurejordanpryce has a brilliant futurejordanpryce has a brilliant futurejordanpryce has a brilliant futurejordanpryce has a brilliant future
4S feels like its on rails...
Amazing road feel, none of the dull nose heavy feeling the Audi gives.

Old 06-01-2012, 05:59 AM
brianja has a reputation beyond reputebrianja has a reputation beyond reputebrianja has a reputation beyond reputebrianja has a reputation beyond reputebrianja has a reputation beyond reputebrianja has a reputation beyond reputebrianja has a reputation beyond reputebrianja has a reputation beyond reputebrianja has a reputation beyond reputebrianja has a reputation beyond reputebrianja has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by S-B-D
Please discuss. Is the AWD traction worth giving up the more pure and sharper RWD experience? I had an Audi RS4, and now a BMW M3, so I'v experienced both, but how does it really compare on the 911? Trying to make a decision on which way to go.
I'm pretty sure I know who you are based on the RS4 comment and the current stable... hi, Vijay. Seems like you just got the M3... not thrilled with it?

Living in NYC I'm going C4S. The 991 will be my daily driver (like my RS4 is) and while I know that the C4S won't be quite as capable in the snow and inclement weather as the RS4, it's nice to know that I have the safety net. I'm also a sucker for the widebody.

Last edited by brianja; 06-01-2012 at 08:15 AM.
Old 06-01-2012, 07:26 AM
KonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud of
I had a 997 T4S and now a 991S. I've also driven a 997C2S. No doubt (to me) that among the 997's, the 4's feel more planted and easier to push hard. However, I'd say the 991S is more stable, grippier and and confidence inspiring than either 997.

Old 06-01-2012, 10:09 AM
m5_2010 is just really nicem5_2010 is just really nicem5_2010 is just really nicem5_2010 is just really nice
S - It does not matter if you get 4S for the winter. You have to replace the tires or they both will not work in the snow... With 58% weight on the back it does not make sense to get 4S unless you are looking for better overall acceleration...

Old 06-01-2012, 12:57 PM
stevefrommn has a spectacular aura aboutstevefrommn has a spectacular aura aboutstevefrommn has a spectacular aura about
I would never get a 4S. More weight, less trunk room and really not necessary. If you insist on driving in the winter, just get winter tires.

Old 06-01-2012, 01:28 PM
Shizzle is on a distinguished road
I'm an RWD fan so I went with an S. With 295 rears and 245 front tires, the 991S has loads of grip, while still letting the back end slip when you want it. I don't drive my car in the winter, so I don't need 4/4S.

Old 06-01-2012, 01:42 PM
Heist Is a GOD !Heist Is a GOD !Heist Is a GOD !Heist Is a GOD !Heist Is a GOD !Heist Is a GOD !Heist Is a GOD !Heist Is a GOD !Heist Is a GOD !Heist Is a GOD !Heist Is a GOD !
Like you, I started of with RWD cars only (240SX, BMW 328), then I bought an A4 Quattro S-Line.
I love the way I can drive it in deep with AWD and power out in a 4-wheel drift. With RWD I could certainly square of a turn quicker with rotate the back-end a bit if I wanted to.
It delivers a more "pure" experience with no mechanical interference.
However, since newer cars have so many electro mechanic and dynamic software nannies and independent wheel braking aids, a pure experience is a misnomer in any car anymore until you turn everything off. And even when you do - most systems will turn themselves back on if you get it to out of shape. But I digress...

A well sorted AWD system that is biased for performance vs. outright all-weather ability and isn't overly intrusive like lower-end AWD systems is worth the additional weight penalty to me and I do not see myself going back to RWD again. Cars brake with 4 wheels - why shouldn't they drive with all 4?

As an aside, I live in the Mid-Atlantic. Had I lived in the Sunbelt or out West, I would probably just stick with RWD but be that as it may, I love having the additional security of AWD in wet or inclimate weather. During the Snowmaggedon of 2010 that hit the Mid-Atl and NE, while most of my friends with RWD found themselves with unusable vehicles, I simply let 10 PSI out of my All-Weather tires and didn't have a single hiccup.

Last edited by Heist; 06-01-2012 at 01:47 PM.
Old 06-02-2012, 12:45 AM
Inglorious Is a GOD !Inglorious Is a GOD !Inglorious Is a GOD !Inglorious Is a GOD !Inglorious Is a GOD !Inglorious Is a GOD !Inglorious Is a GOD !Inglorious Is a GOD !Inglorious Is a GOD !Inglorious Is a GOD !Inglorious Is a GOD !
S

I live in socal, so 4wd is essentially useless.

Old 06-02-2012, 05:35 AM
S-B-D will become famous soon enoughS-B-D will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by brianja
I'm pretty sure I know who you are based on the RS4 comment and the current stable... hi, Vijay. Seems like you just got the M3... not thrilled with it?

Living in NYC I'm going C4S. The 991 will be my daily driver (like my RS4 is) and while I know that the C4S won't be quite as capable in the snow and inclement weather as the RS4, it's nice to know that I have the safety net. I'm also a sucker for the widebody.
Yeah, it's me!!! Love the M3, but it is not my ultimate car and I am always "looking". What I have discovered, at least between the RS4 and the M3, is that there was a trade-off. The grip of the RS4's AWD was awesome, but the overall dynamic feel and steering of the M3 is much better than the RS4.

So....I am wondering that if I go the C4S, whether I can have both a more dynamic and sharper steering car AND the grip advantage of AWD.

I have my Cayenne for winter, so this car would not be driven in snow.

Old 06-02-2012, 06:43 AM
Heist Is a GOD !Heist Is a GOD !Heist Is a GOD !Heist Is a GOD !Heist Is a GOD !Heist Is a GOD !Heist Is a GOD !Heist Is a GOD !Heist Is a GOD !Heist Is a GOD !Heist Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by S-B-D
Yeah, it's me!!! Love the M3, but it is not my ultimate car and I am always "looking". What I have discovered, at least between the RS4 and the M3, is that there was a trade-off. The grip of the RS4's AWD was awesome, but the overall dynamic feel and steering of the M3 is much better than the RS4.

So....I am wondering that if I go the C4S, whether I can have both a more dynamic and sharper steering car AND the grip advantage of AWD.

I have my Cayenne for winter, so this car would not be driven in snow.
If you have a C for winter and this car will never see inclimate weather, here's what I would do. Go down to your Porsche dealer and take a S & 4S for back to back 15 minute test drives. Take a few freeway on/off ramp sweepers, lane change swiftly, do a few mid-corner throttle corrections.

Whichever puts the bigger smile on your face during these exercises is the one you go with it.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: S or 4S. Which would you prefer and why?