Tire and Wheel Insurance?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-10-2014, 08:10 PM
keeperofbeasts has a reputation beyond reputekeeperofbeasts has a reputation beyond reputekeeperofbeasts has a reputation beyond reputekeeperofbeasts has a reputation beyond reputekeeperofbeasts has a reputation beyond reputekeeperofbeasts has a reputation beyond reputekeeperofbeasts has a reputation beyond reputekeeperofbeasts has a reputation beyond reputekeeperofbeasts has a reputation beyond reputekeeperofbeasts has a reputation beyond reputekeeperofbeasts has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Chiboy
It's funny to me that when you read the comments on a thread like this, you would think insurance companies are out of their minds offering this coverage, as virtually everyone who gets it, more than gets his/her money's worth. ;-)

My personal take, having had risk management as one of my responsibilities in a corporate job long ago, is that you should self insure any loss that you can readily absorb. And I do that. But if your peace of mind is impacted thinking that you are going to bend a $1000 wheel or ruin a $600 tire every time you slide behind the wheel of your baby, then financial logic is not what you are looking for.

I will admit to having a few reservations about declining the insurance after our wicked winter here and the ensuing potholes. Things seem to be getting filled in though, and I am careful. So far so good.
Crazy uneven roads after the initial filling

I bought the W&T insurance for peace of mind

Old 05-10-2014, 10:44 PM
DaveChapin is on a distinguished road
Insurance is worth getting to protect against catastrophes. For anything else, it is a waste of money... Unless you know something the insurance company doesn't. But how often does that happen? If insurance was not profitable for the insurance company, they wouldn't be in business. And if it's profitable for them, it is not on average going to be profitable for you.

Old 05-11-2014, 08:08 AM
eldertec is a splendid one to beholdeldertec is a splendid one to beholdeldertec is a splendid one to beholdeldertec is a splendid one to beholdeldertec is a splendid one to beholdeldertec is a splendid one to beholdeldertec is a splendid one to beholdeldertec is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by DaveChapin
Insurance is worth getting to protect against catastrophes. For anything else, it is a waste of money... Unless you know something the insurance company doesn't. But how often does that happen? If insurance was not profitable for the insurance company, they wouldn't be in business. And if it's profitable for them, it is not on average going to be profitable for you.
Agree...Bag it!

Old 05-11-2014, 08:17 AM
rnl
rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by eldertec
Agree...Bag it!
It depends. If you live in a state where you can feel the political corruption in the form of poorly constructed roads where the contractors are clearly overpaid to allow for graft and payoffs - buy it Potholes will eat your wheels

Old 05-12-2014, 09:09 AM
TRM
TRM will become famous soon enoughTRM will become famous soon enough
You should have insurance for accidents and events you couldn't yourself recover from on your own. This is why health insurance is a safe bet unless you're Warren Buffet. cancer isn't going to bankrupt him in all likelihood. For the rest of us yes.

Old 05-15-2014, 09:16 AM
Compukidd will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by KonaKai
That depends whether you are looking at the costs saved as patching the tire from the inside (around $30) or replacing the tire ($300-600). A nail in the tread like Willyspub describes is almost definitely repairable with a simple patch. Also if you replace, you will probably end up with uneven treads between the new and old tires.

Now, if you tear the sidewall that's a definite replacement, but it's not usually the case (and even so you would have to do that 2-3x times just to break even on the insurance).

Finally, Tirerack sells road hazard insurance for something like $10 per tire so think about that versus the $1000+ for the third party policy.
Porsche also covers the cost of the mounting and balancing. there is literally zero dollars out of pocket. I even get a loaner car while they replace the tire.

Old 05-15-2014, 12:19 PM
KonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by Compukidd
Porsche also covers the cost of the mounting and balancing. there is literally zero dollars out of pocket. I even get a loaner car while they replace the tire.
The $20-30 patch cost also includes mounting and balancing. And you'll have no need for a loaner because you'll be in and out in an hour.

Curious, what do you do if the tires are at 50% tread when you have the accident? Replace the still good tire out-of-pocket or live with the uneven tread wear?

Old 12-05-2016, 10:53 AM
Axxis222 is an unknown quantity at this point
To be clear, I was told if a tire gets punctured by a nail that it would be fully covered and replaced.

What if a nail was "magically" punctured when it was time to change tires.

I assume its standard procedure and just pay out the $50?

Old 12-05-2016, 11:08 AM
rossii has much to be proud ofrossii has much to be proud ofrossii has much to be proud ofrossii has much to be proud ofrossii has much to be proud ofrossii has much to be proud ofrossii has much to be proud ofrossii has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by Axxis222
To be clear, I was told if a tire gets punctured by a nail that it would be fully covered and replaced.

Tires have to be minimum tread depth and are prorated. They are not stupid.

Old 12-05-2016, 11:41 AM
rnl
rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Axxis222

Nope...so long as more than 2/32 they will pay for a new tire....if you puncture the tire and then try to claim under the insurance you will be committing a crime...it's a 400 tire...come on....

...there is no deductible on my policy.

Old 12-06-2016, 05:10 AM
mikeva will become famous soon enoughmikeva will become famous soon enough
This has been an interesting thread .... although it hasn't helped with any future decisions - and my past experience hasn't either ....

I turned down the policy on my last car and over the three years I had it I replaced two wheels at $1200 a piece and three tires due to hitting pot holes on the freeway. For the current car getting the policy was a no-brainer based on the previous experience. And after two years of driving --- nothing, nada, zilch !!

So, it seems if I buy the policy I'm good, if I don't I'm toast

Old 12-06-2016, 06:11 AM
PorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond repute
LOL. You are not alone, same thing happened to me. First P-car, bought policy - 2 yrs later never used it. Second P-car, did not get policy - within the first year got flat. Can't win.