$2 DIY iPhone holder

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-21-2012, 09:52 PM
chancludo is a splendid one to beholdchancludo is a splendid one to beholdchancludo is a splendid one to beholdchancludo is a splendid one to beholdchancludo is a splendid one to beholdchancludo is a splendid one to beholdchancludo is a splendid one to behold
$2 DIY iPhone holder

Like many others, I've been irked from the beginning by the fact that there is no good place in the 991 to keep your iPhone (or similar other smartphone). The small tray in the console is too small and slippery, resulting in the phone falling out and invariably somewhere impossible to reach.

Given that, I am happy to report that I found an solution that's good enough for my needs, which are fairly simple:
  • Keep the phone in open view and within reach
  • Hold phone firmly so it doesn't fall out in tight corners
  • Reasonably easy to attach when entering the car and detach when leaving it
  • Needs to look sleek and elegant (no dorky, massive grips with cable attachments)
  • Must not obstruct view

Note that I don't care about charging it and that I don't need it in constant view. Also, I'm not interested in using it on the track or anywhere where I pull more than 1.5g or otherwise should wear a crash helmet. This is for (sporty) daily driving, where I just want to put it somewhere I can see and reach it when needed, have it stay there, and then take it when I exit the car. No fiddling with cables, power or headphones or otherwise (but I want to be able to attach headphones when I need to).

Long story short, I ended up buying a barnacle suction cup in black (
$2 on Amazon $2 on Amazon
). I attach it to the back of the phone and then squeeze it gently in the console tray so the phone is held firmly in place by it and the leather armrest tray lid. See attached pictures. Works great, looks good, is "reasonably easy" to do.

What do you do?

Attached Images     

Last edited by chancludo; 09-22-2012 at 06:36 PM. Reason: Amazon link mangled by forum...
Old 09-21-2012, 09:54 PM
Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !
Awesome post, rep points coming your way!

Thanks!

Old 09-22-2012, 06:46 AM
ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !
Very innovative!!! I love innovation.

ChuckJ

Old 09-22-2012, 05:14 PM
Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by ChuckJ
Very innovative!!! I love innovation.

ChuckJ
High praise indeed for chancludo coming from a master of innovation!

Old 09-22-2012, 06:35 PM
chancludo is a splendid one to beholdchancludo is a splendid one to beholdchancludo is a splendid one to beholdchancludo is a splendid one to beholdchancludo is a splendid one to beholdchancludo is a splendid one to beholdchancludo is a splendid one to behold
Thanks guys! Always a pleasure to share when something finally works

Old 09-23-2012, 07:09 AM
skinzy is on a distinguished road
Thanks for the tip! Should also work with iPhone 5!

Old 09-25-2012, 04:12 PM
herosfc is on a distinguished road
Yes! This is great. I was even looking at the Pro Clip options, but will try this instead. I don't use that cubby for anything any way.

Old 09-25-2012, 04:13 PM
herosfc is on a distinguished road
BTW, thumbs up on the audio edition of The Economist!

Old 09-25-2012, 04:54 PM
Originally Posted by herosfc
BTW, thumbs up on the audio edition of The Economist!
Yeah, I'm WAYYYY behind (this issue is weeks old) since having the 991. I just want to listen to the engine sound! But thankfully, there are traffic jams...

Old 12-26-2012, 04:17 PM
Kenshin is a name known to allKenshin is a name known to allKenshin is a name known to allKenshin is a name known to allKenshin is a name known to allKenshin is a name known to all
A bit late...sorry

Hey OP- first off-super cool idea! Next- just wondering if you've faced any issues while resting your arm on the armrest and hand on the shift ****? I have a PDK car coming and this was something that was troublesome on my mind that seems to be fixed by you!

Much appreciated!

Old 12-26-2012, 05:27 PM
trysixty is a name known to alltrysixty is a name known to alltrysixty is a name known to alltrysixty is a name known to alltrysixty is a name known to alltrysixty is a name known to all
Originally Posted by herosfc
Yes! This is great. I was even looking at the Pro Clip options, but will try this instead. I don't use that cubby for anything any way.

i made mistake of buying pro clip for 991. absolutely terrible.....covers the console buttons and obstructs view of PCM. POS

Old 12-26-2012, 06:49 PM
See U n Rear View is just really niceSee U n Rear View is just really niceSee U n Rear View is just really niceSee U n Rear View is just really niceSee U n Rear View is just really nice
Lightbulb Grat Idea!

It is inexpensive. It doesn't damage the Interior. It is practical and functional.

I like it! Props go out to the most Barnical-y-est guy I know...lol

Old 12-26-2012, 07:41 PM
deeznutz is just really nicedeeznutz is just really nicedeeznutz is just really nicedeeznutz is just really nice
Originally Posted by trysixty
i made mistake of buying pro clip for 991. absolutely terrible.....covers the console buttons and obstructs view of PCM. POS
Pro clip is overpriced. In order to avoid driver obscuration of PCM and buttons highly suggest the UK model proclip for USA 991. It mounts on the right side of the shifter console. Doesn't obscure pcm or buttons. USB cable runs straight into glove box for audio and power.

Disadvantage tilt and swivel is limited. Over all it is a pretty junky product for the cost; however, getting the UK version at least allows it to be useable.

http://www.proclipusa.net/media/docu...ons/634773.pdf

Last edited by deeznutz; 12-26-2012 at 07:45 PM. Reason: linky
Old 12-26-2012, 08:15 PM
Originally Posted by Kenshin
Hey OP- first off-super cool idea! Next- just wondering if you've faced any issues while resting your arm on the armrest and hand on the shift ****? I have a PDK car coming and this was something that was troublesome on my mind that seems to be fixed by you!

Much appreciated!
Thanks for the kudos, everyone! No, no issues with shifting (mine is PDK, though) and also no issues with iPhone 5. Only thing of course is that when you open the armrest cubby, the phone gets loose, so you need to reset afterwards. No biggie, though. I still use this everyday, multiple times. In particular if/when I listen to podcasts*.

(*) BTW, as someone noted the Economist podcast on one of the photos, here is another tip: ditch the Apple "Podcasts" app and invest the $1.99 for the "Downcast" app, which is 1000x better and, instead of a silly tape recorder animation, gives you all the control you need including a car (gesture) interface.

Old 12-29-2012, 12:56 PM
TSpyder is a jewel in the roughTSpyder is a jewel in the roughTSpyder is a jewel in the roughTSpyder is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by deeznutz
Pro clip is overpriced. In order to avoid driver obscuration of PCM and buttons highly suggest the UK model proclip for USA 991. It mounts on the right side of the shifter console. Doesn't obscure pcm or buttons. USB cable runs straight into glove box for audio and power.

Disadvantage tilt and swivel is limited. Over all it is a pretty junky product for the cost; however, getting the UK version at least allows it to be useable.

http://www.proclipusa.net/media/docu...ons/634773.pdf
I used the RHD version of the Proclip console mount as well to avoid obscuring buttons, and also to avoid contact with my knee since I'm long-legged. Swivel range can be extended by use of shims between mount and cradle. I hardwired the cradle to the lighter in the smoker's pkg (very eqasy) since I only need the phone connected to PCM via bluetooth for calls and podcasts. I have a Nano in the glove box for direct connection when playing music.

OP's $2 solution is indeed elegant, but may be problematic with smoker's pkg. I also need to power the phone since I spend a lot of time in the car and often listen to podcasts. Power to the lighter goes off when the car goes to sleep.

Spyder

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: $2 DIY iPhone holder