Things I Dislike About My New 991

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-13-2013, 09:14 PM
onapex is on a distinguished road
Things I Dislike About My New 991

Had the 991 for about a week now (3 days driving 760 miles, breaking her in). Seen a few "like" threads so to balance things out here are my dislikes:

1. Unpainted lower mirror. The black unpainted lower mirror really stands out on a white 991. Why not just make it standard body color and add $500 to the MSRP? Reminds me of my 1980 Civic DX. I didn't order my 991, otherwise would have definitely gotten it painted.

2. Auto opening of front boot with Entry and Drive is not sensitive enough. I open the front quite often, seems like I need to really hold my hands over it. Wished it was more sensitive/quicker to open.

3. PCM gremlins. Love the Bluetooth AUX. Was working fine then suddenly the "AUX BT" option disappeared. Only saw DISC Jukebox AUX. I went into the options to make sure Bluetooth AUX was enabled (it was). My phone (Galaxy Note) said Bluetooth was connected, both for phone and media, but PCM wouldn't let me select AUX BT. Eventually after disconnecting and repairing a few times, the AUX BT option came back. Hopefully this is not a sign of future gremlins.

Think that's about all my dislikes.

Old 01-13-2013, 09:33 PM
brianja has a reputation beyond reputebrianja has a reputation beyond reputebrianja has a reputation beyond reputebrianja has a reputation beyond reputebrianja has a reputation beyond reputebrianja has a reputation beyond reputebrianja has a reputation beyond reputebrianja has a reputation beyond reputebrianja has a reputation beyond reputebrianja has a reputation beyond reputebrianja has a reputation beyond repute
Some of my thoughts:

1) I like the mirror bases in black. I'm glad they give the option. Sorry.

2) I've found that the front release is a bit tricky. You need to put your hand over the area below the crest (more toward the seam between the hood and bumper) and hold it in place for a second. If your hand is moving it doesn't work. I guess it's to keep it from accidentally releasing every time someone swings their hand past.

3) I'm having a similar problem with the PCM and Aux BT. I have Aux BT enabled, my phone is connected, but the "Aux BT" source is not visible. Very strange. I've paired and unpaired about 20 times using 4 different phones (two Galaxy S3 , one iPhone 5 and one iPod touch) and none get the source to show. Very frustrating. Any idea why your suddenly started working again?

Old 01-13-2013, 09:39 PM
regarding the Aux BT source not visible...yea, it was very annoying that it just stopped showing. I have no idea what I did to get it back but here was what I tried and it eventually came back:

- on the phone, I unpaired it, then repaired it w/ PCM
- on the PCM, in media -> options:
- deleted the MP3 player, then added it
- deactivated Bluetooth, then activated it
- manually told the PCM to "connect"
- unselected AUX BT as an option, then selected it again

eventually it just came back...

Old 01-13-2013, 09:41 PM
brianja has a reputation beyond reputebrianja has a reputation beyond reputebrianja has a reputation beyond reputebrianja has a reputation beyond reputebrianja has a reputation beyond reputebrianja has a reputation beyond reputebrianja has a reputation beyond reputebrianja has a reputation beyond reputebrianja has a reputation beyond reputebrianja has a reputation beyond reputebrianja has a reputation beyond repute
Interesting. I guess I will keep playing with it. Thank you for the info.

Old 01-13-2013, 09:41 PM
spudz5 is a jewel in the roughspudz5 is a jewel in the roughspudz5 is a jewel in the roughspudz5 is a jewel in the rough
some things i have notice include the following:

wind buffeting at speed with windows down. tilting the sunroof helps

squeaky interior at times. notice that the seatbelt latch rubs against the seat a lot and causes noise

warning volumes are too low. for example if playing music and reversing into a spot, the park distance volume is barely heard. should have a feature where the music is lowered.

also notice if parking on a hill, moving lever from park to drive, the transmission seems to "thunk" at first. not sure if its just my car.

Old 01-13-2013, 11:02 PM
Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by spudz5

also notice if parking on a hill, moving lever from park to drive, the transmission seems to "thunk" at first. not sure if its just my car.
Which model year is your car?

Old 01-14-2013, 01:42 AM
Rainier has much to be proud ofRainier has much to be proud ofRainier has much to be proud ofRainier has much to be proud ofRainier has much to be proud ofRainier has much to be proud ofRainier has much to be proud ofRainier has much to be proud ofRainier has much to be proud of
There are more things to like than to dislike but there are a few minor ones:

I have the European spec model and the auto-start/stop defaults to "on". I hate this one with a passion.

I don't have the PCM, only the CDR-31 and just could not find a satisfactory way of using the AUX audio input (Yes, MP3 players are fine but difficult to select tracks) - but then I burned a few MP-3 CDs with my music and this works very well - the menus are perfect and it is easy to use.

I had a lot of squeeks, rattles and rubbing sounds (not helped by the SPASM suspension) but after three weeks and over 2000 miles these seemed to have fixed themselves.

I like the black lower half of the mirrors on the white car - gives it nice contrast I think. I would not want it painted white.

The car has been flawless so far and I have driven it pretty hard most of the time.

There is one tiny thing though... (Yes, I'm borrowing that phrase from Jeremy).

It's perhaps too good. Too perfect. Everything is in harmony. It's a surgeon's scalpel. The perfect tool. Everything works just as it should - not more, not less. It's just me I know - but I am having a tough time falling in love with this car. I feel stupid for writing this but there you have it.
It's like just having married this perfect, faultless, blond German girl but you start peeking at that pretty Italian beauty sitting at the bar...

And yes, I am German myself - that makes it even worse.

Rainier

Old 01-14-2013, 02:15 AM
BnB
BnB is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Rainier

There is one tiny thing though... (Yes, I'm borrowing that phrase from Jeremy).

It's perhaps too good. Too perfect. Everything is in harmony. It's a surgeon's scalpel. The perfect tool. Everything works just as it should - not more, not less. It's just me I know - but I am having a tough time falling in love with this car. I feel stupid for writing this but there you have it.
It's like just having married this perfect, faultless, blond German girl but you start peeking at that pretty Italian beauty sitting at the bar...

And yes, I am German myself - that makes it even worse.

Rainier
Rainier, the Italian beauty may at times surprise you with her passion and fire, but she is more likely to infuriate, exhaust and frustrate you for weeks at a time.

The German hotty meanwhile will consistently and reliably delight with her uncomplicated willingness to please and perform. She'll get hot for you every day of the week, and can carry your kids and the shopping.

Old 01-14-2013, 03:12 AM
Alan has a reputation beyond reputeAlan has a reputation beyond reputeAlan has a reputation beyond reputeAlan has a reputation beyond reputeAlan has a reputation beyond reputeAlan has a reputation beyond reputeAlan has a reputation beyond reputeAlan has a reputation beyond reputeAlan has a reputation beyond reputeAlan has a reputation beyond reputeAlan has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by BnB
Rainier, the Italian beauty may at times surprise you with her passion and fire, but she is more likely to infuriate, exhaust and frustrate you for weeks at a time.

The German hotty meanwhile will consistently and reliably delight with her uncomplicated willingness to please and perform. She'll get hot for you every day of the week, and can carry your kids and the shopping.
I prefer a threesome - hot German blond and Italian beauty - that's why I chose the V10 R8 over the 991

Old 01-14-2013, 06:39 AM
forgot about the automatic start/stop. i've disabled it. too annoying. still too jerky for the fuel savings.

Old 01-14-2013, 07:17 AM
Rainier has much to be proud ofRainier has much to be proud ofRainier has much to be proud ofRainier has much to be proud ofRainier has much to be proud ofRainier has much to be proud ofRainier has much to be proud ofRainier has much to be proud ofRainier has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by onapex
forgot about the automatic start/stop. i've disabled it. too annoying. still too jerky for the fuel savings.
How do you disable it ?

Hammer ? Stick of dynamite ?

Rainier

Old 01-14-2013, 07:20 AM
Originally Posted by BnB

Yes, yes - I read you. You are 100% correct. I do know a few that have fallen for the Italian job - with predictable results...

Rainier

Old 01-14-2013, 07:21 AM
Originally Posted by Rainier
How do you disable it ?

Hammer ? Stick of dynamite ?

Rainier
not sure about the european model, but the US has a "A" button on the center console to disable it. Or put it in Sport Mode will also disable it.

Old 01-14-2013, 07:23 AM
SLVR_BULLIT is on a distinguished road
I agree that there are more likes than dislikes, otherwise we wouldnt spend this kind of $ on the 991. That being said, one could assume we are the most picky of consumers and have very high expectations for perfection.

My only gripes are things I posted earlier:

1- The whole "tire hopping" thing when cold turning the wheel close to lock... really? All the design and PhD's on staff you couldn't engineer the car to NOT do this?
2- Annoying buzz when shifting the car at around 3K RPM. Porsche says its "normal" however based on the feedback I have had and not hearing it from others, it has to be something on my car that is loose or not seated properly (heat shield, wing, rear bonnet). I can drive "around" this issue, but it just drives me crazy when it does it.
3- Newer issue- Its been colder here in SoCal recently, and now when the car starts on a cold start I get a squeak or chirp from either the starter or a belt that has moisture or slips or something. The trifecta would be having Porsche fix this and it solves my engine buzz

I have also disengaged my auto start/stop. It is an unproven technology against the MTBF (mean time between failure) of the starter. If the purpose is to save gas, I would much rather put a few extra $0.02 in to the tank than replace the starter.

Old 01-14-2013, 07:31 AM
Originally Posted by onapex
not sure about the european model, but the US has a "A" button on the center console to disable it. Or put it in Sport Mode will also disable it.
Yes of course - but the thing does not want to remember this next time you go for a ride. The European model refuses to remember your settings. Must be a directive from Brussels...

Rainier

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Things I Dislike About My New 991