Center radiator

Old 01-22-2013, 08:36 PM
DBYT has a reputation beyond reputeDBYT has a reputation beyond reputeDBYT has a reputation beyond reputeDBYT has a reputation beyond reputeDBYT has a reputation beyond reputeDBYT has a reputation beyond reputeDBYT has a reputation beyond reputeDBYT has a reputation beyond reputeDBYT has a reputation beyond reputeDBYT has a reputation beyond reputeDBYT has a reputation beyond repute
Did you consider this? https://www.fabspeed.com/carrera_991_3.html

Fabspeed is only 30 mins drive from me...I may do that.

Old 01-22-2013, 08:42 PM
Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Schunmd
Hey Sid, I knew you would have answers for this!

GT 3 front is a good choice, but will be more costly. Looking at the red 991 front, I think I would be satisfied with that look; just don't want a plug in the front like I have now. I guess I am kind of used to the front of my previous GT3s. Basically I want every part of my 991 to look functional with purpose, if you know what I mean.

Man, you got lot planned for your baby! Can't wait to see the final product!

Thanks!
Well ya know it's like you are the guy with the wife and a mistress (991 and 360) and I'm like the guy with the wife and her sister... hahahahaa I better hope my wife never reads this (even as a joke) 'cause I'm dead hahaha

I know most want to keep their 911's pure but the GT3 doesn't come in cabrio version... and I just love the more aggressive look of the it, not to mention that with the 997 there was a GT3 appearance package (also lovingly refered to as the "posers kit" hehehe).
Well I'd take one of those thank you very much.... but it doesn't excist for the 991.

Sooo being me (and at the scorning sure to follow from my 991 brethren ) I will probably end up with a GT3 front end, GT3 RS lip and wheel arches, GT2 side skirts and a Turbo rear end...all on a C4S cab!
I know... the horror!

But it keeps me out of trouble (mostly ) and is good clean fun for the next few years...

Let us know how it works out with the 3rd radiator install.

Old 01-22-2013, 09:17 PM
Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by DBYT
Did you consider this? https://www.fabspeed.com/carrera_991_3.html

Fabspeed is only 30 mins drive from me...I may do that.

Don't want to hijack our new friend Schunmd's thread but... here how I see that system.
Theoretically this principle works from an engineering and physics point of view however... in this particular application of said system I do not believe so.

Now I say the following with no disrespect to the manufactures and users of these products (actually I really like their exhaust products), it's just my view and really... what the hell do i know!

Here she goes...
The one thing that will rob an engine from it's performance is hot air being sucked in through the "cold air intake"... this system/product is the epitome of that!
The only thing that saves it from a blatant performance drop is the fact that it allows a much greater air mass to be sucked in through this cone filter set up.

If you really want to see this system work it has to mounted OUTSIDE the engine compartment... but man would that look horrible!
Or construct a separate compartment housing (outside the engine compartment) which is fed by an air-conditioning unit which would assist in lower air temps as the massive amounts of air these filters ingests is provided through exterior duct.
Needles to say neither is practical or esthetically pleasing.

The factory system (while not sexy and more restrictive in it's flow) is highly efficient because there's a very defined separation of the entire "channel" leading from the decklid to the introduction of this outside air into the engine.

They could improve it by moving the intake away from the vents and fans in the decklid (alla turbo side vents) but as it stands my money is on higher(ish) flow stock filter replacement rather than something which sucks copious amounts of hot air into your engine.

Oh and the "heat shield" which magically keeps the hot air away from the air intake... hahahahaha whooowyyyyy that just cracks me up every time I see it... pfewwwwy just thinking about is making me laugh right now now!

Anyway that's Sid's take on this... but like I said what the hell do i know.
Cheers!

Attached Images  

Last edited by Psycho Sid; 01-22-2013 at 09:26 PM. Reason: spelling.
Old 01-22-2013, 09:27 PM
DBYT has a reputation beyond reputeDBYT has a reputation beyond reputeDBYT has a reputation beyond reputeDBYT has a reputation beyond reputeDBYT has a reputation beyond reputeDBYT has a reputation beyond reputeDBYT has a reputation beyond reputeDBYT has a reputation beyond reputeDBYT has a reputation beyond reputeDBYT has a reputation beyond reputeDBYT has a reputation beyond repute
Cool! Pun intended! Thanks for the info. I may go with the BMC filters unless there is overwhelming evidence that the cold air system works. OP, sorry for the slight hijack!

Old 01-22-2013, 10:38 PM
Schunmd is a name known to allSchunmd is a name known to allSchunmd is a name known to allSchunmd is a name known to allSchunmd is a name known to allSchunmd is a name known to all
Originally Posted by DBYT
Cool! Pun intended! Thanks for the info. I may go with the BMC filters unless there is overwhelming evidence that the cold air system works. OP, sorry for the slight hijack!
No worries! I'm getting BMC filters for mine also!

Old 01-22-2013, 10:43 PM
Schunmd is a name known to allSchunmd is a name known to allSchunmd is a name known to allSchunmd is a name known to allSchunmd is a name known to allSchunmd is a name known to all
Originally Posted by Psycho Sid
Well ya know it's like you are the guy with the wife and a mistress (991 and 360) and I'm like the guy with the wife and her sister... hahahahaa I better hope my wife never reads this (even as a joke) 'cause I'm dead hahaha

I know most want to keep their 911's pure but the GT3 doesn't come in cabrio version... and I just love the more aggressive look of the it, not to mention that with the 997 there was a GT3 appearance package (also lovingly refered to as the "posers kit" hehehe).
Well I'd take one of those thank you very much.... but it doesn't excist for the 991.

Sooo being me (and at the scorning sure to follow from my 991 brethren ) I will probably end up with a GT3 front end, GT3 RS lip and wheel arches, GT2 side skirts and a Turbo rear end...all on a C4S cab!
I know... the horror!

But it keeps me out of trouble (mostly ) and is good clean fun for the next few years...

Let us know how it works out with the 3rd radiator install.
Funny you mention that analogy of "wife & mistress"! I recently used exact same analogy to my wife, and got into trouble because I was changing my "wife" every year while keeping my "mistress" for several years!

I totally understand your logic regarding GT3 especially knowing you are getting a cab. The combo sounds very interesting; should look incredible!

Old 01-23-2013, 01:34 AM
aamersa is a splendid one to beholdaamersa is a splendid one to beholdaamersa is a splendid one to beholdaamersa is a splendid one to beholdaamersa is a splendid one to beholdaamersa is a splendid one to beholdaamersa is a splendid one to behold
Standard 991 C2S with center radiator. Unfortunately the plate covers half of it. From a distance it is not noticeable. Close up the center radiator is visible.

Attached Images   
Old 01-23-2013, 02:57 AM
20-C4-10 has a brilliant future20-C4-10 has a brilliant future20-C4-10 has a brilliant future20-C4-10 has a brilliant future20-C4-10 has a brilliant future20-C4-10 has a brilliant future20-C4-10 has a brilliant future20-C4-10 has a brilliant future20-C4-10 has a brilliant future20-C4-10 has a brilliant future20-C4-10 has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by Psycho Sid
Alright, I can help ya with this because i was planning on doing the same thing!
At my porsche dealer I got a quote of something like 400 bucks for the part (radiator, clamps, hoses, trim pieces etc.) I actually ordered it even though I don't have my C4s yet... yep I already have a pile of stuff and no car to put it on!

Thats it Psycho Sid, I'm officially as equally excited about your delivery as you are waiting for your car! lol i just can't wait! when it comes will you be in la or overseas? regardless post pics immediately!!! I'm just excited I got back into another p-car, lol i was too impatient to wait for my built 4 lol.

Old 01-23-2013, 11:46 AM
Banned
Dan@SCB has a reputation beyond reputeDan@SCB has a reputation beyond reputeDan@SCB has a reputation beyond reputeDan@SCB has a reputation beyond reputeDan@SCB has a reputation beyond reputeDan@SCB has a reputation beyond reputeDan@SCB has a reputation beyond reputeDan@SCB has a reputation beyond reputeDan@SCB has a reputation beyond reputeDan@SCB has a reputation beyond reputeDan@SCB has a reputation beyond repute
No worries! I'm getting BMC filters for mine also!
PM me for your 6speed Price on BMC Filters.
We are the North American Distributor for BMC Filters, we have 4 Kits in Stock for 991 ready to ship.
Have a look at this thread https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...ers-991-a.html

Last edited by Dan@SCB; 01-23-2013 at 11:48 AM.
Old 01-23-2013, 05:58 PM
Funny you mention that analogy of "wife & mistress"! I recently used exact same analogy to my wife, and got into trouble because I was changing my "wife" every year while keeping my "mistress" for several years!

I totally understand your logic regarding GT3 especially knowing you are getting a cab. The combo sounds very interesting; should look incredible!
Hahahaha how about this one "variety is the spice of life!"... use this term in passing and check her expression hehehe.
At some point you'll get a 'you'd better not be applicable to me... or that "harem of mistresses" of your's will end up being crushed... several times!

I used to use that phrase all the time (as I whole heartedly believe in it) and allthough it really had nothing to do with the amazing woman in married to... she did eventually get me to stop using the term.

Boys will be boys!
Talking about that... I'm looking forward to your post when you get to use the "magic button"...sport+!!!

Originally Posted by 20-C4-10
Thats it Psycho Sid, I'm officially as equally excited about your delivery as you are waiting for your car! lol i just can't wait! when it comes will you be in la or overseas? regardless post pics immediately!!! I'm just excited I got back into another p-car, lol i was too impatient to wait for my built 4 lol.

Hahahaha thanks!

Due to unforeseen circumstances I am not allowed to fly for at least the next 2 months, so I'll be in Montreal when my baby arrives!!

Which I'm actually very happy about because I wasn't suppose to be around for it... that would've real, really sucked!
So it all works out in the end.

What kind of 911 do you have 991?

Old 01-23-2013, 11:10 PM
Originally Posted by aamersa
Standard 991 C2S with center radiator. Unfortunately the plate covers half of it. From a distance it is not noticeable. Close up the center radiator is visible.
Thanks! I like the fact it shows the radiator! Exactly what I am looking for. Going to order one tomorrow!

Old 01-25-2013, 07:51 PM
So I got a quote on installing a center radiator from a local dealership which is $1490 for parts & labor. Initially they quoted $1,000 for parts alone until I told them about Suncoast price; they are going to order parts from there to get me the lower parts price. How is it that this dealership can't match Suncoast's price? Aren't they both getting parts from Porsche directly?

Would you consider getting this job done by a reputable independent Porsche mechanic? I wonder if they are cheaper in labor cost. I don't think Sharkwerkes could do this; they told me they can' t do anything to do with fluids or oil.

Old 01-26-2013, 01:33 PM
hoyadoc is on a distinguished road
Have a 991S on order and noticed that Option 319 (Engine cooling for hot climate) is included even though i did not request it, zero charge. Is that the center radiator?? I guess living near the desert has it's benefits.

Old 01-26-2013, 01:55 PM
Originally Posted by hoyadoc
Have a 991S on order and noticed that Option 319 (Engine cooling for hot climate) is included even though i did not request it, zero charge. Is that the center radiator?? I guess living near the desert has it's benefits.
I think so. I thought that was only for Africa or Middle East...If you're getting it for free, you are saving about $1,500 + nicer look!

Old 01-27-2013, 01:57 AM
So I got a quote on installing a center radiator from a local dealership which is $1490 for parts & labor. Initially they quoted $1,000 for parts alone until I told them about Suncoast price; they are going to order parts from there to get me the lower parts price. How is it that this dealership can't match Suncoast's price? Aren't they both getting parts from Porsche directly?

Would you consider getting this job done by a reputable independent Porsche mechanic? I wonder if they are cheaper in labor cost. I don't think Sharkwerkes could do this; they told me they can' t do anything to do with fluids or oil.
Yeah my Porsche part counter manger usually gets 2 shades whiter when I mention Suncoast hehehe.
But he's good people and always makes it work for me...usually his price will be a bit higher but no shipping, import tax or brokerage fees... plus it's a hassle free return (if need be)..
That said I'm surprised that your parts came to almost double than what I was quoted at the parts counter.
The norm is that Canada has a hefty premium compared to the US.

Personally I wouldn't let a indy shop do this type of work as it will surely mess with your warranty and I've always found that they inevitably end up scratching the car somehow... which than turns into a confrontation of sorts because they'll always say it was there already... which infuriates me.

No I'll pay the premium (but negotiate it down) and have it done at the dealer instead.

Regardless of where do you think you're going to have it done?

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Center radiator