Engine stumble/hesitation around 2500 RPM?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-27-2014, 01:24 PM
stealthboy has much to be proud ofstealthboy has much to be proud ofstealthboy has much to be proud ofstealthboy has much to be proud ofstealthboy has much to be proud ofstealthboy has much to be proud ofstealthboy has much to be proud ofstealthboy has much to be proud ofstealthboy has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by PorscheCrazy
Was this at suggestion of PCNA?
No. My own crazy idea.

Old 09-01-2014, 11:57 AM
dux
dux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond repute
Weekend road trip across the South.
Cruise control at 80mph in 7th gear @ ~2500 rpm along newly paved stretches of I-95.
Fish bite tugging extraordinaire!!
A simply awful experience..

Old 09-02-2014, 10:38 AM
ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by dux
Weekend road trip across the South.
Cruise control at 80mph in 7th gear @ ~2500 rpm along newly paved stretches of I-95.
Fish bite tugging extraordinaire!!
A simply awful experience..
Dux:
When this is happening at 80mph is the tach moving up and down ~50-100rpm or rock solid?

ChuckJ

Old 09-02-2014, 11:18 AM
dux
dux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond repute
Hi Chuck,
Have not noticed the tach moving- seems to be as solid as the stiff suspension will allow.

However, after lots of testing the hesitation /tugging absolutely occurs in every gear at the same rpm.

While in cruise control, when going up the slightest of inclines to maintain the set speed, the tugging was simply ridiculous.

Old 09-02-2014, 11:30 AM
runner1021 is a splendid one to beholdrunner1021 is a splendid one to beholdrunner1021 is a splendid one to beholdrunner1021 is a splendid one to beholdrunner1021 is a splendid one to beholdrunner1021 is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by dux
Hi Chuck,
Have not noticed the tach moving- seems to be as solid as the stiff suspension will allow.

However, after lots of testing the hesitation /tugging absolutely occurs in every gear at the same rpm.

While in cruise control, when going up the slightest of inclines to maintain the set speed, the tugging was simply ridiculous.
Sounds like the VarioCam system can't make up it's mind which cam profile to be in. From what little I know about the system it sounds like a VarioCam actuator or solenoid would be the primary suspect. One would think the dealer could run some simple tests to verify proper operation. Then again, when I suggested this to my dealer with my 997, I was informed that without a code they couldn't troubleshoot.

Old 09-02-2014, 11:34 AM
dux
Originally Posted by runner1021
. Then again, when I suggested this to my dealer with my 997, I was informed that without a code they couldn't troubleshoot.
BINGO!! We have a winner!!!

@Runner1021, please don't ever try to use logic to screw up a good argument.

Code = Holy Grail in the Porsche Universe.

Thank God that the flames shooting out of their GT3's threw a code.

Old 09-02-2014, 12:03 PM
stealthboy has much to be proud ofstealthboy has much to be proud ofstealthboy has much to be proud ofstealthboy has much to be proud ofstealthboy has much to be proud ofstealthboy has much to be proud ofstealthboy has much to be proud ofstealthboy has much to be proud ofstealthboy has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by STG958
There has to be some dealer or independent shop that can trouble shoot this. Obviously you'd have to pay for it.

My independent Porsche mechanic (for my '86) has been starting to see a few 991s in now (he does race prep work), so I'm getting close to bringing mine in for him to take a look at.

It's part of my three-pronged approach.

1) Contact PCNA directly.
2) Find new local dealer and "start fresh" with them.
3) Use independent shop.

Prongs 1 and 2 are currently underway.

Old 09-02-2014, 12:07 PM
ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !
Dux:
This must be terribly frustrating. I had a similar issue with a Honda Accord and it wasn't anywhere near as bad as yours. If you want to get this resolved, I think you should take the following actions:
1. Do a drive with a tech and demonstrate the problem to him
2. Have them write up a work order that accurately states the issue as you see it
3. Let them try to fix it and pick it up when they tell you it's fixed without a test drive.
4. Repeat this 2 more times and notify Porsche North America that you intend to file a lemon law action
5. If they don't respond, file a LL claim. I did this on a Honda Accord with arbitration and it was a life saver- and not difficult.
I would be happy to give you more details about mine if you chose to take this action.

ChuckJ

Old 09-02-2014, 12:12 PM
Originally Posted by runner1021
Sounds like the VarioCam system can't make up it's mind which cam profile to be in. From what little I know about the system it sounds like a VarioCam actuator or solenoid would be the primary suspect.
This is my leading suspicion at this point in time. Since I have both the fish-bite at 2300-2500 RPM as well as the larger stumble at 3000+RPM when accelerating, and I am pretty sure the latter is the variocam switchover, I believe both are related to the variocam not functioning properly.

Old 09-02-2014, 12:19 PM
beemer guy is a jewel in the roughbeemer guy is a jewel in the roughbeemer guy is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by ChuckJ
Dux:
This must be terribly frustrating. I had a similar issue with a Honda Accord and it wasn't anywhere near as bad as yours. If you want to get this resolved, I think you should take the following actions:
2. Have them write up a work order that accurately states the issue as you see it
3. Let them try to fix it and pick it up when they tell you it's fixed without a test drive.
4. Repeat this 2 more times and notify Porsche North America that you intend to file a lemon law action
5. If they don't respond, file a LL claim. I did this on a Honda Accord with arbitration and it was a life saver- and not difficult.
I would be happy to give you more details about mine if you chose to take this action.

ChuckJ
Good advice Chuck. But...

#4 - Do this in writing, registered mail.

Lemon Laws vary from state. Check with your state Attorney General to learn the procedure.

Interesting tidbit: here in NC, if you take a manufacturer to court (i.e letters and negotiation don't work) under the LL and you lose, you pay their attorney costs. At least that was the law back in '97 when I was fighting BMW.

I can't imagine what those guys bill Porsche for their time!

Old 09-02-2014, 12:27 PM
dux
Originally Posted by ChuckJ
Dux:

ChuckJ

Thanks Chuck.
Here's where I stand.

1. Do a drive with a tech and demonstrate the problem to him - Done and acknowledged by the "tech"
2. Have them write up a work order that accurately states the issue as you see it - Done 3-4 times
3. Let them try to fix it and pick it up when they tell you it's fixed without a test drive. - Done by resetting DME and then they state "operating as intended" because there are no codes.
5. If they don't respond, file a LL claim.

The madness is that everyone knows that the dealers shun any and all warranty work whenever possible. Especially when the absence of a fault code means that they won't get reimbursed.

They have the audacity to say that they ALL do it by design..

Old 09-02-2014, 12:38 PM
ipse dixit can only hope to improve
If you guys want a fault code, why not just drive with the gas cap unscrewed for a mile or so?

That'll throw out a Check Engine Warning light, and you can use that as your "Trojan Horse" for the tech guys to run all sorts of crap on the engine.

Just a thought.

Good luck on this.

Old 09-02-2014, 02:55 PM
Originally Posted by dux
Thanks Chuck.
Here's where I stand.

1. Do a drive with a tech and demonstrate the problem to him - Done and acknowledged by the "tech"
2. Have them write up a work order that accurately states the issue as you see it - Done 3-4 times
3. Let them try to fix it and pick it up when they tell you it's fixed without a test drive. - Done by resetting DME and then they state "operating as intended" because there are no codes.
5. If they don't respond, file a LL claim.

The madness is that everyone knows that the dealers shun any and all warranty work whenever possible. Especially when the absence of a fault code means that they won't get reimbursed.

They have the audacity to say that they ALL do it by design..
Dux:
Check your warranty book to ensure you have met the requirements (which I'm sure you have) and if I were you I would be filing for arbitration. If you win they have to fix it or buy your car back. If you loose (which you won't if I know your attention to detail) you can decide to go to court. The big trouble with that one is that if they loose, they can appeal and that can go on forever. PM me if you need anything and I'll look to see if I can find the brief I put together. You will basically be given instructions as to what you have to present.

ChuckJ

Old 09-02-2014, 03:22 PM
dux
As always Chuck, thank you.
That was my last resort and one that I had hoped to avoid.
I'll be taking step 4 soon and notifying PCNA of my intent.

I fully expect the Nick Murray treatment from them in spite of my having owned numerous 911's. Fortunately I am not blinded by irrational exuberance when it comes to this or any other car.

There is a substitute - one that actually works..

Old 09-02-2014, 04:07 PM
runner1021 is a splendid one to beholdrunner1021 is a splendid one to beholdrunner1021 is a splendid one to beholdrunner1021 is a splendid one to beholdrunner1021 is a splendid one to beholdrunner1021 is a splendid one to behold
It's a shame that we can't as a group notify PCNA by letter or email of our combined frustration over this issue. I imagine it would open some eyes if they were to receive a letter signed by several hundred concerned and upset owners, as opposed to dealing with an occasional complaint here and there.

Anyone have a idea how this could be accomplished?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Engine stumble/hesitation around 2500 RPM?