Engine stumble/hesitation around 2500 RPM?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-28-2015, 02:23 PM
stealthboy has much to be proud ofstealthboy has much to be proud ofstealthboy has much to be proud ofstealthboy has much to be proud ofstealthboy has much to be proud ofstealthboy has much to be proud ofstealthboy has much to be proud ofstealthboy has much to be proud ofstealthboy has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by BOBP
Its almost like the camshafts don't know if they want to advance or retard at 2600 rpms. But thats just me.
Yes, I think you are correct.

Old 11-30-2015, 07:07 PM
SergePorsche is a jewel in the roughSergePorsche is a jewel in the roughSergePorsche is a jewel in the rough
Anybody ever try an ECU tuner shop to try to address the hesitation problem? I saw an AWE Tuning post that advertised a G.I.A.C. tune for the 991. It says: "G.I.A.C. Performance Software delivers silky smooth power delivery, increased throttle response and improved drivability by fine tuning your Porsche’s Engine Computer parameters." This ain't cheap (I think it costs $1,620) and I think you have to have it done at the G.I.A.C. shop in California, so it's not the kind of thing you want to do on a whim if you live on the East coast. Perhaps the best way to ask the question is whether anybody that HAS had the tune done, has experienced hesitation after the tune.

Old 11-30-2015, 07:19 PM
991C4s is a splendid one to behold991C4s is a splendid one to behold991C4s is a splendid one to behold991C4s is a splendid one to behold991C4s is a splendid one to behold991C4s is a splendid one to behold991C4s is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by SergePorsche
Anybody ever try an ECU tuner shop to try to address the hesitation problem? I saw an AWE Tuning post that advertised a G.I.A.C. tune for the 991. It says: "G.I.A.C. Performance Software delivers silky smooth power delivery, increased throttle response and improved drivability by fine tuning your Porsche’s Engine Computer parameters." This ain't cheap (I think it costs $1,620) and I think you have to have it done at the G.I.A.C. shop in California, so it's not the kind of thing you want to do on a whim if you live on the East coast. Perhaps the best way to ask the question is whether anybody that HAS had the tune done, has experienced hesitation after the tune.
I keep playing with the idea but I don't want to risk my factory warranty.

Old 12-01-2015, 12:51 PM
Former Vendor
Andrew@GIAC Is a GOD !Andrew@GIAC Is a GOD !Andrew@GIAC Is a GOD !Andrew@GIAC Is a GOD !Andrew@GIAC Is a GOD !Andrew@GIAC Is a GOD !Andrew@GIAC Is a GOD !Andrew@GIAC Is a GOD !Andrew@GIAC Is a GOD !Andrew@GIAC Is a GOD !Andrew@GIAC Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by 991C4s
I keep playing with the idea but I don't want to risk my factory warranty.
Have there been any reports of warranty voiding on the 991 Carrera / S models with our software installed? I am not aware of a single case where that has happened.

Old 12-01-2015, 01:16 PM
991C4s is a splendid one to behold991C4s is a splendid one to behold991C4s is a splendid one to behold991C4s is a splendid one to behold991C4s is a splendid one to behold991C4s is a splendid one to behold991C4s is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by Austin@GIAC
Have there been any reports of warranty voiding on the 991 Carrera / S models with our software installed? I am not aware of a single case where that has happened.
You are correct I haven't heard of a single case.

Old 12-01-2015, 02:00 PM
runner1021 is a splendid one to beholdrunner1021 is a splendid one to beholdrunner1021 is a splendid one to beholdrunner1021 is a splendid one to beholdrunner1021 is a splendid one to beholdrunner1021 is a splendid one to behold
Just out of curiosity, are you aware of any 991 owners that have had the stumbling problem cured by a software flash?

Secondly, do you know if your software installers have the capability to identify the stumbling/hesitation issue?

Any help would be appreciated, as PCNA of course refuses to acknowledge the problem.

Thanks in advance.

Old 12-01-2015, 03:05 PM
Former Vendor
Andrew@GIAC Is a GOD !Andrew@GIAC Is a GOD !Andrew@GIAC Is a GOD !Andrew@GIAC Is a GOD !Andrew@GIAC Is a GOD !Andrew@GIAC Is a GOD !Andrew@GIAC Is a GOD !Andrew@GIAC Is a GOD !Andrew@GIAC Is a GOD !Andrew@GIAC Is a GOD !Andrew@GIAC Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by runner1021
Just out of curiosity, are you aware of any 991 owners that have had the stumbling problem cured by a software flash?

Secondly, do you know if your software installers have the capability to identify the stumbling/hesitation issue?

Any help would be appreciated, as PCNA of course refuses to acknowledge the problem.

Thanks in advance.
I haven't heard of any customers reporting that the problem remains present with our flash upgrade. I've only seen the problem reported here, on stock vehicles.

Old 12-01-2015, 03:21 PM
Is Champion Porsche doing an in house flash or do they need to send the computer to you?

Old 12-01-2015, 03:33 PM
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by 991C4s
Is Champion Porsche doing an in house flash or do they need to send the computer to you?
All 991 flashes are 100% OBD2 flashed. The whole process takes less than 1 hour.

Old 12-01-2015, 06:24 PM
SergePorsche is a jewel in the roughSergePorsche is a jewel in the roughSergePorsche is a jewel in the rough
Does the G.I.A.C. flash have to be done in Irvine, CA? I'm in Virginia and Irvine, CA is a long way to go for the flash.

Old 12-01-2015, 06:31 PM
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by SergePorsche
Does the G.I.A.C. flash have to be done in Irvine, CA? I'm in Virginia and Irvine, CA is a long way to go for the flash.
Absolutely not, we have dealers all over the country that can install on-site.

GIAC Dealer Map

All GIAC upgrades have a 30 day money back guarantee on them. You're not married to it until you're able to confirm that it does what we say it does.

Old 12-02-2015, 06:29 AM
mtony has a reputation beyond reputemtony has a reputation beyond reputemtony has a reputation beyond reputemtony has a reputation beyond reputemtony has a reputation beyond reputemtony has a reputation beyond reputemtony has a reputation beyond reputemtony has a reputation beyond reputemtony has a reputation beyond reputemtony has a reputation beyond reputemtony has a reputation beyond repute
I haven't heard of any customers reporting that the problem remains present with our flash upgrade. I've only seen the problem reported here, on stock vehicles.
Austin, Thanks for chiming in on the subject.

Can you tell us if any of the cars that received your flash had stumbling BEFORE the flash? If we were to have our cars flashed and continued to have stumbling, would you return our money under your 30 day satisfaction guarantee?

Thanks!

Old 12-02-2015, 08:05 AM
GS997S has a reputation beyond reputeGS997S has a reputation beyond reputeGS997S has a reputation beyond reputeGS997S has a reputation beyond reputeGS997S has a reputation beyond reputeGS997S has a reputation beyond reputeGS997S has a reputation beyond reputeGS997S has a reputation beyond reputeGS997S has a reputation beyond reputeGS997S has a reputation beyond reputeGS997S has a reputation beyond repute
I don't think anyone would be aware of a warranty being voided by software flash until a claim was actually made. I can almost guarantee that an engine related claim would be denied on a car with any ECU software flash. If you don't think so, just call around and ask dealers about it, or even better contact PCNA and ask them. And don't say, well no one is going to tell the dealer that they have had a flash, because they will know of course. And, if you are afraid to tell the dealer or PCNA, doesn't that prove the point that it does put your warranty at risk?

There are obviously plenty of cars out there with ECU flashes that never have an engine warranty claim, and I am not saying that the flash will damage your engine. Just beware of the warranty issue.

Old 12-02-2015, 10:53 AM
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by GS997S
I don't think anyone would be aware of a warranty being voided by software flash until a claim was actually made. I can almost guarantee that an engine related claim would be denied on a car with any ECU software flash. If you don't think so, just call around and ask dealers about it, or even better contact PCNA and ask them. And don't say, well no one is going to tell the dealer that they have had a flash, because they will know of course. And, if you are afraid to tell the dealer or PCNA, doesn't that prove the point that it does put your warranty at risk?

There are obviously plenty of cars out there with ECU flashes that never have an engine warranty claim, and I am not saying that the flash will damage your engine. Just beware of the warranty issue.
We work with a very large number of Porsche dealers who flash our software on-site. We keep direct contact with them often regarding the servicing of tuned vehicles on a normal basis. We always keep tabs on what Porsche is doing in terms of warranty voiding as we're not out to defraud anyone (neither the customer or the dealer). Not to mention, if a warranty is voided (a rare occurrence, luckily), we almost always hear about it from the customer. You're painting the picture in a very black and white scenario and it's simply not like that. We've seen some tuned Cayennes that had fuel pump failures lead to engine failure (a known issue on the vehicle) and there was no issue with warranty coverage. I can state for certain that we've never seen a single issue on a 991 in terms of engine safety.

Old 12-02-2015, 10:54 AM
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by mtony
Austin, Thanks for chiming in on the subject.

Can you tell us if any of the cars that received your flash had stumbling BEFORE the flash? If we were to have our cars flashed and continued to have stumbling, would you return our money under your 30 day satisfaction guarantee?

Thanks!
I can't comment on customers having the stumble before the flash as I don't speak with all customers before they're flashed. Yes, if the stumbling remained, you can get a refund under the 30 day money back.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Engine stumble/hesitation around 2500 RPM?