The case for the X51 Carrera S power kit

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-06-2013, 07:44 PM
ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Dr. Bill
Lots of reasons. Better tires on the GT3. The GT3 is slightly lighter. Better gearing, etc. The better suspension and better aero wont' really affect 0-60 times. Of course, no one buys a GT3 for 0-60 times. It was made for the track, and not a straight one.

I've driven the 991 C2S both with and without the X51 kit. Honestly, I could not tell the difference. Maybe it's faster as your wallet is so much lighter?
And don't forget in the GT3 video posted the Porsche test engineer says they improved the steering feel also.

ChuckJ

Old 05-05-2013, 04:10 PM
handfull is a splendid one to beholdhandfull is a splendid one to beholdhandfull is a splendid one to beholdhandfull is a splendid one to beholdhandfull is a splendid one to beholdhandfull is a splendid one to behold
This post from another forum:

"First real-world numbers by French Motorsport Magazine (X51 with manual gearbox):
0-100 kph: 4,5 s, 0-160 kph: 9,5 s, 0-200 kph: 14,3 s - the regular Carrera S with manual gearbox managed 4,7, 9,9 and 15,1 s in Sport Auto.
80-150 kph in 6th gear in 14,5 s, the 400-hp-PDK version needs 14,8 sec.
140-200 kph in 6th gear in 13,1 s, the 400-hp-PDK version needs 13,0 sec."

The car in question was a 991 S w/7 MT and did not have spasm, nor sports chrono. It did have pdcc. In summation the 911S X51 is quicker than the standard S by .02 from 0-62 mph, 0-100 mph .04 and 0-125 mph .07. In my opinion both cars with and without X51 were pretty slow, but at least they were consistently slow. HA!! Anyway the difference between the two is worth noting and the X51 is certainly faster than what Porsche was advertising, which was minimal advertising at best: 0-60 mph .01 advantage.

Old 05-05-2013, 07:13 PM
LotF has a spectacular aura aboutLotF has a spectacular aura aboutLotF has a spectacular aura about
The GT3 has better gearing which increases performance. All the motors: S, S with X51, and GT3 have the same displacement. At the low end they all push the same amount of air. The GT3 is the better deal with the PDK unless u need the cab, sunroof, or the C4S. If you want a 7MT, a lightly optioned C2S/C4S is a better deal. The aftermarket vendors will likely produce a gear set which will make the 7MT competitive with the PDK GT3 for all but professional racers since Porsche refuses to.

Old 05-05-2013, 10:51 PM
96redLT4 will become famous soon enough96redLT4 will become famous soon enough
I agree with you Bob and don't know why folks aren't more intrigued by the X51 pckg. It may be the last of the great P drivers cars, if you want manual transmission, back seat and normally aspirated canyon carving fun. I guess there is always the Cayman.
J

Old 05-06-2013, 01:27 AM
bccars has a brilliant futurebccars has a brilliant futurebccars has a brilliant futurebccars has a brilliant futurebccars has a brilliant futurebccars has a brilliant futurebccars has a brilliant futurebccars has a brilliant futurebccars has a brilliant futurebccars has a brilliant futurebccars has a brilliant future
From a monetary perspective the X51 is suicide in my opinion. The X51 is an option. And we all know come reselling time, options don't really factor in that hard in resale value. A pristine GT3 may very well return more resale percentage wise than a pristine X51 optioned S.

Old 05-06-2013, 04:38 AM
trysixty is a name known to alltrysixty is a name known to alltrysixty is a name known to alltrysixty is a name known to alltrysixty is a name known to alltrysixty is a name known to all
I suspect that 30% of the reason someone adds the X51 to a S is just to brag "My car has the X51".............X51 sounds so very space age, high tech, powerful.etc. If you told most people that they would think it added 100+ hp to an already beautiful rocketship. You would never tell someone it only added 30 hp and cost a fortune. Am i right or wrong?

Congrats to whoever in porsche came up with that X51 name, perhaps a X51 badge on the car or on the silver coffee cup holder is in order.

Old 05-06-2013, 06:57 AM
chuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by trysixty
I suspect that 30% of the reason someone adds the X51 to a S is just to brag "My car has the X51".............X51 sounds so very space age, high tech, powerful.etc. If you told most people that they would think it added 100+ hp to an already beautiful rocketship. You would never tell someone it only added 30 hp and cost a fortune. Am i right or wrong?

Congrats to whoever in porsche came up with that X51 name, perhaps a X51 badge on the car or on the silver coffee cup holder is in order.
The DARPA Scramjet testbed vehical is also X-51.

Old 05-07-2013, 09:26 AM
handfull is a splendid one to beholdhandfull is a splendid one to beholdhandfull is a splendid one to beholdhandfull is a splendid one to beholdhandfull is a splendid one to beholdhandfull is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by trysixty

Along your line of thinking, I suppose that many purchase a Porsche just to say they own one. I would agree with you that the X51 is a ridiculously priced option and I would never pay retail for the option, just as I would never pay retail for a 911. However, if you are planning to purchase PDK and PSE, then it becomes more palatable, as it is included.
Let's face it, all of Porsches options are way over priced and as I look at some of the options that people select I ask myself why? I suppose value is in the eye of the beholder.
Lastly, if value/performance is the driving force behind a person's decision making, let me suggest the 2013 SRT Viper, or the 2014 Corvette Stingray.

Old 05-07-2013, 09:52 AM
Snowczar is a splendid one to beholdSnowczar is a splendid one to beholdSnowczar is a splendid one to beholdSnowczar is a splendid one to beholdSnowczar is a splendid one to beholdSnowczar is a splendid one to beholdSnowczar is a splendid one to behold
The designation of the X51 is not new. Porsche have used X50 on Turbo's that have an upgraded engine for years. Also, previously when regular 911's had an engine upgrade they used X51 as the nomenclature (?) for a 911 with an upgraded engine just like they do on the current 991's.

Old 05-07-2013, 10:11 AM
kosmo69 is just really nicekosmo69 is just really nicekosmo69 is just really nicekosmo69 is just really nice
Originally Posted by STALKER
I highly doubt it. The parts are too $$$.
You will see a bump in HP for the 991.2 for sure.

I think the X51 now that the GT3 pricing is out, is not worth it at all IMO. The GT3's motor is heavily revised and if I added the X51 to my order it would have easily approached GT3 prices.

agree.

maybe the GTS will be better value for those wanting the x51.

Also it will be interesting to see what the aftermkt will offer in terms of power.

Old 05-07-2013, 11:38 AM
Originally Posted by bccars
From a monetary perspective the X51 is suicide in my opinion. The X51 is an option. And we all know come reselling time, options don't really factor in that hard in resale value. A pristine GT3 may very well return more resale percentage wise than a pristine X51 optioned S.
Before I commited to the S X51, I configured a lightly (there are few options) optioned GT3 and it retailed just above $151,000. The deal breaker for me is the fact that the GT3 develops so little torque until it hits 6000 rpms where it finally matches the S.

Compared to the 3.8 S

2000 rpms -30 lb. ft
3000 -30
4000 -40
5000 -18
6000 0
7000 +3

Given these numbers the GT3 is looking like a dedicated track car and one that needs to be on full boil all the time to extract maximum performance.

Old 05-07-2013, 12:26 PM
Snowczar is a splendid one to beholdSnowczar is a splendid one to beholdSnowczar is a splendid one to beholdSnowczar is a splendid one to beholdSnowczar is a splendid one to beholdSnowczar is a splendid one to beholdSnowczar is a splendid one to behold
GT3 also requires the can opener option if a person prefers a cabriolet!

Old 05-07-2013, 12:34 PM
trysixty is a name known to alltrysixty is a name known to alltrysixty is a name known to alltrysixty is a name known to alltrysixty is a name known to alltrysixty is a name known to all
Originally Posted by Snowczar
GT3 also requires the can opener option if a person prefers a cabriolet!

.....so tell us if you notice the effect of X51 on your car compared to plain jane c2s cab?? real world data

Old 05-07-2013, 12:59 PM
Banned
Naaranha has a spectacular aura aboutNaaranha has a spectacular aura aboutNaaranha has a spectacular aura about
Old 05-07-2013, 01:28 PM
Not sure how tell difference as I'm still in break in mode and can't use the higher rev ranges yet. Only other 991S I drove was a coupe and that was last September so not sure if I'll know any difference anyway.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: The case for the X51 Carrera S power kit