991 DIYs

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-06-2015, 01:07 PM
plenum has a brilliant futureplenum has a brilliant futureplenum has a brilliant futureplenum has a brilliant futureplenum has a brilliant futureplenum has a brilliant futureplenum has a brilliant futureplenum has a brilliant futureplenum has a brilliant futureplenum has a brilliant futureplenum has a brilliant future
991 DIY: Front 3-Point Seat Belt Removal

Hi All -- finally got around to this DIY....

I am sorry I don't have any pictures at this point, but the steps included are crystal clear and should be easy to follow.
If anyone has pictures they would like to add to this post, let me know and send them to me.... thanks!

Old 05-06-2015, 02:07 PM
isugoo is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by plenum
Hi All -- finally got around to this DIY....

I am sorry I don't have any pictures at this point, but the steps included are crystal clear and should be easy to follow.
If anyone has pictures they would like to add to this post, let me know and send them to me.... thanks!
Thanks!
Wish you had it 3 weeks early. I learn all that in hard way.
Torx were very unusual sizes. I'll try to get the size info and post here.
But we finally have seatbelt DIY. Thanks again for sharing!

Old 12-23-2015, 12:04 PM
plenum has a brilliant futureplenum has a brilliant futureplenum has a brilliant futureplenum has a brilliant futureplenum has a brilliant futureplenum has a brilliant futureplenum has a brilliant futureplenum has a brilliant futureplenum has a brilliant futureplenum has a brilliant futureplenum has a brilliant future
Plastidip Removal - Wheel

Hey- I posted a video up on my blog : Removing Plastidip from 991 Wheel

Disclaimer- the video quality is really not great. I had just one hand and my crummy iPhone, and on top of that my memory was full. But, for those interested and curious about how "easy" (or not) it is to remove Plastidip from a wheel after a year of abuse, you may find this helpful.

In the vid I try a few different techniques. After I finished this project, I moved-on to touching-up the other three wheels and respraying -- I'll post separately the touch-up and the use of Xylene.... In hindsight I could probably have stripped the dip from the wheel in this video very quickly using Xylene. Learned that after I was done! LOL.

Thanks!

Old 01-05-2016, 11:51 AM
PorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond repute
How to Remove PDK Shifter

Wanted to post for reference

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=soaQ...ature=youtu.be

Old 01-10-2016, 01:04 PM
For Reference: PIWIS TSI Walkthrough Video

For those interested, I've screen-o-matic'd a walkthrough of the PAG PIWIS TSI online application. As mentioned in previous post, this is a comprehensive information system used by most service departments, independent garages (and just about anyone else with the $$ for an account) when working on P-cars. Not only are there Work Manuals, there are wiring diagrams, information and service bulletins, and ton's of other reference materials for just about all Porsche models. They have all MY of 991, including new stuff posted not long ago for the 2017's!

I use the system when working on my own car, my DIYs and generally just to learn about how our cars are put together and work!

Anyways, here is a link to the vid I made:

If you have any questions, post here or PM. Happy to help out, find things for you, etc. I have already posted my index of WM's and other docs over on my blog that might be useful. Note that I can't legally just send or post the copyright'd documents, but happy to "share knowledge" from my own library of WMs and related documentation from PIWIS.....

Old 05-03-2016, 03:44 PM
77Tony is on a distinguished road
DIY: Paint existing rear reflectors

Lightly scuff surface and edges of your reflectors with (red) 3M scotchbrite pads (you can also use household type). Secure the underside of your reflectors with tape, dum-dum, or ? to a 4x4, full spray paint can or ? This will prevent your reflectors from getting blown off from the slight force of spraying. Clean, then spray (edges first !) two coats of adhesion promoter, (note: the reflectors will get shiny again-that's the adhesion promoter doing it's job !) then three PTM base coats and finally one coat of high gloss clear. (Follow instruction's on each can for dry time between coats, room temp, etc). Let dry for a full day and carefully re-install. Adhesion promoter $7.95, your color basecoat $19.95, high gloss clear coat $7.95 shipping approx. $10.00. Total: $ 45.85 and plenty of product left over for misc. jobs, re: key fob's, touch-up paint, etc. Note: I used Dupli-Color high gloss clearcoat because it was on the shelf. Would advise ordering everything from one source for continuity and to save on shipping. I used: http://www.automotivetouchup.com/tou...sche/2015/911/ (no affiliation) T

Attached Images     

Last edited by 77Tony; 05-04-2016 at 11:40 AM.
Old 05-04-2016, 11:02 AM
GraSox is on a distinguished road
Diy

Just wanted to say thanks for all you guys do for us.......really appreciate everything you teach us!

Old 05-13-2016, 08:24 AM
Jim M. will become famous soon enoughJim M. will become famous soon enough
I sprayed my OEM stone gaurds on the car with Black Plasti Dip. Total cost was $6.00 and about two hours. Four heavy coats on each side. So far it looks great and adds another layer of protection to the OEM ones that were turning yellow. No pics as it's such a simple job that has been outlined with spraying wheels and rear lettering.

Update: after a spirited drive to Sant Fe NM the leading edge of my Plasti Dip started to peel for about 1/2", so I can no longer recommend this option. One side peeled the other side still looks perfect. YMMV

Last edited by Jim M.; 08-10-2016 at 01:08 PM. Reason: Doesn't hold up
Old 06-06-2016, 11:22 AM
991 Upper Center Console Trim Removal - PDK

Hi All- Been a while since I've posted any DIYs...

I wanted to add this to the DIY archive. I've responded to another member asking about removing the trim panel that boxes the PDK selector in the center console. While this isn't something that I've done personally, I put together some instructions based on the official PCNA WM.

Here's a link to my blog DIY: DIY 991 Center Console Upper Trim Removal

And for those fact-checking, here is the original thread that I was responding to in the general 991 forum area: 991 TTS Interior Trim Question

Happy Motoring!!!

Old 06-13-2016, 09:11 AM
Nfall has much to be proud ofNfall has much to be proud ofNfall has much to be proud ofNfall has much to be proud ofNfall has much to be proud ofNfall has much to be proud ofNfall has much to be proud ofNfall has much to be proud of
Great info as always.

Question. Does anyone know what is needed to take off rear diffuser of car?

Old 06-13-2016, 09:43 AM
Originally Posted by Nfall
Great info as always.

Question. Does anyone know what is needed to take off rear diffuser of car?
The Porsche official term for the part you are referring to is "rear skirt." There are officially (ie PCNA Work Manual 636819) three steps involved:
1) Remove both R and L "Tailpipe Shield Covers";
2) Remove bottom "retaining strip";
3) and, Remove "Rear Skirt".
In the WM the precondition is to remove the entire rear apron (or "bumper cover") but it isn't 100% necessary to do so.... I've seen member posts where removal of the "diffuser" with the apron still on the car didn't happen. YMMV.

For the first step, use a flat-head screwdriver or trim tool to release the shield cover by working around - I believe there are 5 tabs. You should be able to just pry and pull to release.

In the second case, and I think personally this is something others have been able to avoid -- there are at least (2) maybe more rivets that the official WM indicates should be "drilled-out" -- meaning they must be replaced if you are reusing the rear skirt parts.

Lastly, the rear skirt is removed by pulling hard, and / or using a screwdriver / pry tool to release the 14 or so tabs that run along the length of the trim piece.

UPDATE: I posted a full article up on my blog: 991 Exterior Trim : Diffuser Removal

Hope this helps!

Last edited by plenum; 06-14-2016 at 09:27 AM. Reason: Add link to more info
Old 07-01-2016, 06:40 AM
PorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond repute
Purchased iCarSoft to reset Oil Service Light. Works like a charm, and was able to reset light, after doing my own oil change, in about 20 seconds. In addition to brake light, it will also reset service light (have not done that yet, but it is in the menu) and has a host of other diagnostic tools.

I bought mine on Amazon, from German Audio Tech

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...iglink20410-20

Attached Images  
Old 08-02-2016, 05:47 AM
Rainier has much to be proud ofRainier has much to be proud ofRainier has much to be proud ofRainier has much to be proud ofRainier has much to be proud ofRainier has much to be proud ofRainier has much to be proud ofRainier has much to be proud ofRainier has much to be proud of
Got mine two weeks ago also from Amazon.
I can confirm that is works like advertised.
Resets oil service as well as minor/major service.
Does come up with "ghost" codes on some items you cannot clear (nonsensical codes). Interestingly, some of these are reported on both my Panamera Diesel as well as the 991.1 CS2. I just ignore them.
Good value for money. Highly recommended.

Rainier

Originally Posted by PorscheCrazy
Purchased iCarSoft to reset Oil Service Light. Works like a charm, and was able to reset light, after doing my own oil change, in about 20 seconds. In addition to brake light, it will also reset service light (have not done that yet, but it is in the menu) and has a host of other diagnostic tools.

I bought mine on Amazon, from German Audio Tech

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...iglink20410-20

Old 08-08-2016, 01:43 PM
Nfall has much to be proud ofNfall has much to be proud ofNfall has much to be proud ofNfall has much to be proud ofNfall has much to be proud ofNfall has much to be proud ofNfall has much to be proud ofNfall has much to be proud of
Thanks for your detailed info. Do you have any pictures or video of taking rear skirt off? I am still a little hesitant about doing this.

Thanks

Originally Posted by plenum
The Porsche official term for the part you are referring to is "rear skirt." There are officially (ie PCNA Work Manual 636819) three steps involved:
1) Remove both R and L "Tailpipe Shield Covers";
2) Remove bottom "retaining strip";
3) and, Remove "Rear Skirt".
In the WM the precondition is to remove the entire rear apron (or "bumper cover") but it isn't 100% necessary to do so.... I've seen member posts where removal of the "diffuser" with the apron still on the car didn't happen. YMMV.

For the first step, use a flat-head screwdriver or trim tool to release the shield cover by working around - I believe there are 5 tabs. You should be able to just pry and pull to release.

In the second case, and I think personally this is something others have been able to avoid -- there are at least (2) maybe more rivets that the official WM indicates should be "drilled-out" -- meaning they must be replaced if you are reusing the rear skirt parts.

Lastly, the rear skirt is removed by pulling hard, and / or using a screwdriver / pry tool to release the 14 or so tabs that run along the length of the trim piece.

UPDATE: I posted a full article up on my blog: 991 Exterior Trim : Diffuser Removal

Hope this helps!

Old 12-20-2016, 02:28 PM
Rahmon Rajabian is an unknown quantity at this point
Obd2 port

Hi.
Does anyone have an idea if its possible to pop out the ond2 port in 991? I have got a dashcam whcich powered by obd2 port, but i can't close the panel!
Any ideas?
Thnx in advance😊

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 991 DIYs