Plasti-dipped my emblems this evening. Some pics...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-21-2013, 12:41 AM
oldman40 has a reputation beyond reputeoldman40 has a reputation beyond reputeoldman40 has a reputation beyond reputeoldman40 has a reputation beyond reputeoldman40 has a reputation beyond reputeoldman40 has a reputation beyond reputeoldman40 has a reputation beyond reputeoldman40 has a reputation beyond reputeoldman40 has a reputation beyond reputeoldman40 has a reputation beyond reputeoldman40 has a reputation beyond repute
the black on white contrast looks sharp! also really like your "911" designation only!

Old 03-21-2013, 01:34 AM
Turn PSM Off
TheJudge will become famous soon enough
Im confused... The plasti-dip doesn't stick on the paint?

Looks fantastic btw.

Old 03-21-2013, 02:30 AM
tonyep is a glorious beacon of lighttonyep is a glorious beacon of lighttonyep is a glorious beacon of lighttonyep is a glorious beacon of lighttonyep is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by TheJudge
Im confused... The plasti-dip doesn't stick on the paint?

Looks fantastic btw.
No it won't. That's the plus side of it.

Old 03-21-2013, 06:25 AM
PorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond repute
Outstanding!

Do you know if this will hold up to weathering - cold winters, hot summers, etc?

Old 03-21-2013, 06:52 AM
Brooklyn991 is just really niceBrooklyn991 is just really niceBrooklyn991 is just really niceBrooklyn991 is just really niceBrooklyn991 is just really nice
Thanks guys! No the plasti-dip peels right off of the paint, just as long as you have a nice thick coat on. (three or more). And thanks about the "911". Upon delivery my car had Carrera on it also. I took it to a body shop to have that de-badged and the 911 centered. Regarding how plast-dip can withstand the elements, I did the emblems on my C63 about 9 months ago and it is holding up perfectly. And I had to wash the car religiously (matte paint). It's easy to do yourself. Just be sure to do it in a wind-free room so it doesnt spatter onto the rest of the car.

Old 03-21-2013, 07:07 AM
CO997 has much to be proud ofCO997 has much to be proud ofCO997 has much to be proud ofCO997 has much to be proud ofCO997 has much to be proud ofCO997 has much to be proud ofCO997 has much to be proud ofCO997 has much to be proud ofCO997 has much to be proud ofCO997 has much to be proud of
I like that a lot. It looks fantastic! Lowes sells it huh? I'm guessing in the spray paint section... I'll be checking that out, espeically since we have about a foot of new snow on the ground, so she will be stuck in the garage for a while.... Spring better get here before I loose my mind!!!

Old 03-21-2013, 08:17 AM
mperor will become famous soon enoughmperor will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by Brooklyn991
Thanks guys! No the plasti-dip peels right off of the paint, just as long as you have a nice thick coat on. (three or more). And thanks about the "911". Upon delivery my car had Carrera on it also. I took it to a body shop to have that de-badged and the 911 centered. Regarding how plast-dip can withstand the elements, I did the emblems on my C63 about 9 months ago and it is holding up perfectly. And I had to wash the car religiously (matte paint). It's easy to do yourself. Just be sure to do it in a wind-free room so it doesnt spatter onto the rest of the car.
It looks GREAT and I want to do the same with mine. How hard to peel off the excess from the paint closer to the letter? It just seems so easy to "chip" away from the letter when you peel off the dip closest to it... what is the trick? Outline it first with the toothpick? How long would this entire process take and I assume 3 or more coat with about 30 mins in between? Thanks!

Old 03-21-2013, 08:18 AM
Former Vendor
ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !
That looks amazing !! It really goes well with everything, now all you need is some Chrome Side Marker Bulbs to go with. Enjoy and keep up the great work.

Attached Images  
Old 03-21-2013, 12:15 PM
cmb13 is on a distinguished road
Mine came tone on tone from the factory (Platinum Silver )

Old 03-24-2013, 07:15 PM
CarreraPete has much to be proud ofCarreraPete has much to be proud ofCarreraPete has much to be proud ofCarreraPete has much to be proud ofCarreraPete has much to be proud ofCarreraPete has much to be proud ofCarreraPete has much to be proud ofCarreraPete has much to be proud ofCarreraPete has much to be proud ofCarreraPete has much to be proud of
Outstanding job! The car really looks great with the black wheels and trim. I hit your "Rep" button for sharing your technique in full detail.

Old 04-01-2013, 07:51 PM
nicoli has a reputation beyond reputenicoli has a reputation beyond reputenicoli has a reputation beyond reputenicoli has a reputation beyond reputenicoli has a reputation beyond reputenicoli has a reputation beyond reputenicoli has a reputation beyond reputenicoli has a reputation beyond reputenicoli has a reputation beyond reputenicoli has a reputation beyond reputenicoli has a reputation beyond repute
Thanks so much for this writeup! I'm right now waiting for the 2nd coat to dry on my rear Porsche Emblem. Super awesome!!!

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0434.jpg
Views:	210
Size:	313.4 KB
ID:	227174  
Old 04-01-2013, 08:11 PM
Haku Is a GOD !Haku Is a GOD !Haku Is a GOD !Haku Is a GOD !Haku Is a GOD !Haku Is a GOD !Haku Is a GOD !Haku Is a GOD !Haku Is a GOD !Haku Is a GOD !Haku Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by nicoli
Thanks so much for this writeup! I'm right now waiting for the 2nd coat to dry on my rear Porsche Emblem. Super awesome!!!
Nicoli, I'm eagerly waiting for an update.... It's been another 15 mins. I worry about the plasti stuff's ability to peel off paint with zero damage. I need a bit of convincing so keep posting with results and tips.

Old 04-01-2013, 08:36 PM
nicoli has a reputation beyond reputenicoli has a reputation beyond reputenicoli has a reputation beyond reputenicoli has a reputation beyond reputenicoli has a reputation beyond reputenicoli has a reputation beyond reputenicoli has a reputation beyond reputenicoli has a reputation beyond reputenicoli has a reputation beyond reputenicoli has a reputation beyond reputenicoli has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Haku
Nicoli, I'm eagerly waiting for an update.... It's been another 15 mins. I worry about the plasti stuff's ability to peel off paint with zero damage. I need a bit of convincing so keep posting with results and tips.
hehe, will do. The can says at least 30 minutes between coats, 3-4 coats is average, and then 4 hours until dry for use.

I was 20-30 minutes between applications (might have pushed this last one at 15 minutes apart) and I'm allowing a slight ancillary breeze through the garage for drying, and frankly, the fumes from the can are noxious.

I will now try to wait 4 hours.

Name:	IMG_0440.jpg
Views:	167
Size:	327.9 KB
ID:	227176  

Last edited by nicoli; 04-01-2013 at 08:44 PM.
Old 04-01-2013, 08:38 PM
rossii has much to be proud ofrossii has much to be proud ofrossii has much to be proud ofrossii has much to be proud ofrossii has much to be proud ofrossii has much to be proud ofrossii has much to be proud ofrossii has much to be proud of
Guys Plastidip wont harm the paint people on other forums have been doing this for a while. Some actually painting their whole car. Some people frown upon it but its a good way to experiment without making it permanent.

Old 04-01-2013, 11:29 PM
Just a quick late update:

I should have let it dry another hour before messing with removal, I did let it sit about 2.5 hours but recommended is 4 hours on the can.

In my fervent haste to see the final results, I peeled some of the product off the "P" in the P O R S C H E emblem. Just a tiny bit and on the inside, it was the first one I had to remove the plastidip from inside a letter. Anyway..sigh..take your time. Work the toothpick (what I used) or whatever in slowly, in the middle of the "P", and not quickly. Slowwwly worked very well with all the rest of the letters.

The plastidip just peeled right off around the outsides of all the letters without any problems at all, even the "E" and the "S" was not a problem. Its only the letters with an inside not connected to the outside like the "P" and the "O" and the "R" where you have to work very slowly and carefully not to let it remove the product from the letter also. I want to re-spray the "P" on my car at some point tomorrow. Anyway, it's such a small tear on the "P" you can't see it..but I know it's there. I gotta fix it. Remember, slow removal on that inside letter space.

Btw, it looks freaking awesome in person. I could not get a good photograph at night in the garage, I will take another in the sunlight..but the lettering now matches the ceramic black exhaust tips, the carbon fiber vorsteiner lip, and the black cabrio roof really well. I don't know if it comes through in the photos. But in person honestly, I was amazed. Looked great to me. Thanks again to the OP.

Name:	IMG_1354.jpg
Views:	201
Size:	242.0 KB
ID:	227213   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1360.jpg
Views:	198
Size:	254.8 KB
ID:	227214   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1357.jpg
Views:	208
Size:	260.4 KB
ID:	227215  
Attached Images  

Last edited by nicoli; 04-02-2013 at 08:33 AM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Plasti-dipped my emblems this evening. Some pics...