Removing Stickers from Sun Visor

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-01-2014, 05:55 AM
STG991 Is a GOD !STG991 Is a GOD !STG991 Is a GOD !STG991 Is a GOD !STG991 Is a GOD !STG991 Is a GOD !STG991 Is a GOD !STG991 Is a GOD !STG991 Is a GOD !STG991 Is a GOD !STG991 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by drcollie
I've done the removal thing on a prior Porsche, its a pain and takes nearly an hour per visor. On my 991, this is MUCH better, a simple inexpensive, ultra-thin piece of vinyl that goes on in less than a minute per side. When I show it to people, they don't even see it on the visor, that's how good the match is. Recommended. Plus, if you go to sell the car and a potential buyer complains the warning sticker is not there (or turn in a lease car) then its easy to remove. I'd show a photo of them on my car, but they wouldn't even show up in the camera so there is no point in it. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Porsche-Sunv...item4ad96722d2
Thanks for the info!

Old 08-01-2014, 09:25 AM
stealthboy has much to be proud ofstealthboy has much to be proud ofstealthboy has much to be proud ofstealthboy has much to be proud ofstealthboy has much to be proud ofstealthboy has much to be proud ofstealthboy has much to be proud ofstealthboy has much to be proud ofstealthboy has much to be proud of
I've done the removal thing on a prior Porsche, its a pain and takes nearly an hour per visor. On my 991, this is MUCH better, a simple inexpensive, ultra-thin piece of vinyl that goes on in less than a minute per side. When I show it to people, they don't even see it on the visor, that's how good the match is. Recommended. Plus, if you go to sell the car and a potential buyer complains the warning sticker is not there (or turn in a lease car) then its easy to remove. I'd show a photo of them on my car, but they wouldn't even show up in the camera so there is no point in it.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Porsche-Sunv...item4ad96722d2
I put those same vinyl covers over my stickers - they are a perfect match and were very easy to install. Highly recommended.

Old 08-01-2014, 09:29 AM
BCS14 will become famous soon enough
Plus, if you go to sell the car and a potential buyer complains the warning sticker is not there...

Seriously?

"That's a deal breaker, dude. I love the car, but I just can't stand the look of clean, unmarred, pleasing-to-the-eyes visors."

On the contrary, I'd say it's an appealing selling point.

Old 08-01-2014, 10:00 AM
998M has much to be proud of998M has much to be proud of998M has much to be proud of998M has much to be proud of998M has much to be proud of998M has much to be proud of998M has much to be proud of998M has much to be proud of998M has much to be proud of998M has much to be proud of
pretty clever

Old 08-01-2014, 11:48 AM
onapex is on a distinguished road
buy some faux carbon fiber sticker sheets. easier!

Old 08-01-2014, 12:04 PM
Nuke986 has a spectacular aura aboutNuke986 has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by fantom
No need to remove the visors. I used denatured alcohol, go slow, and don't get any alcohol on the visor mirror pins, because it doesn't play well with glue/adhesives.

If the cops bust you for removing the decals, you're having a really bad day
I did it the same way and it worked well

Old 08-01-2014, 01:10 PM
BradB is a name known to allBradB is a name known to allBradB is a name known to allBradB is a name known to allBradB is a name known to allBradB is a name known to all
I removed my visors, which is really easy btw, and soaked them both at once on the workbench. Very efficient. Removing them is the way to go, IMO. But I live on the edge and ripped the tags off my mattress as well.

Old 08-02-2014, 01:19 AM
BCS14 will become famous soon enough
Even better and easier than removing the visors is this little trick I tried today that worked to perfection.

Simply pull and unsnap the visor from its stowed position and swing it around as if you were trying to block the sun from the side window. Now rotate the visor so that the sticker side is facing up. The visor is now in a perfectly horizontal position.

Now take a kitchen paper towel and fold it such that it will just cover the area of the sticker. Now soak the the paper towel with Denatured Alcohol (that's what I used) and simply set the alcohol soaked paper towel over the sticker. Next, take a thin plastic bag - the kind you get at the produce section - and slip it over the entire visor and twist and tape the open end shut so that you seal everything inside, preventing the alcohol from evaporating.

Take a nap (that's what I did, truth) and after an hour or so remove the plastic wrap and simply peel the now wrinkled sticker off. Voila! It comes off intact! Amazing!

There is, however, some residue remaining that will need to be cleaned up. But I'll wait until tomorrow to do this, just so the vinyl can recover from the sudden shock of fumigation. Seriously, the vinyl needs to rest after this shock treatment.

Old 08-02-2014, 01:29 AM
Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by BCS14
Even better and easier than removing the visors is this little trick I tried today that worked to perfection.

Simply pull and unsnap the visor from its stowed position and swing it around as if you were trying to block the sun from the side window. Now rotate the visor so that the sticker side is facing up. The visor is now in a perfectly horizontal position.

Now take a kitchen paper towel and fold it such that it will just cover the area of the sticker. Now soak the the paper towel with Denatured Alcohol (that's what I used) and simply set the alcohol soaked paper towel over the sticker. Next, take a thin plastic bag - the kind you get at the produce section - and slip it over the entire visor and twist and tape the open end shut so that you seal everything inside, preventing the alcohol from evaporating.

Take a nap (that's what I did, truth) and after an hour or so remove the plastic wrap and simply peel the now wrinkled sticker off. Voila! It comes off intact! Amazing!

There is, however, some residue remaining that will need to be cleaned up. But I'll wait until tomorrow to do this, just so the vinyl can recover from the sudden shock of fumigation. Seriously, the vinyl needs to rest after this shock treatment.
Funny and ingenious.

Old 08-02-2014, 04:02 AM
PorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond repute

Where were you 9 months ago with this trick when I removed mine? Great tip!

Old 08-02-2014, 05:33 AM
addysdaddy has a spectacular aura aboutaddysdaddy has a spectacular aura about

Great idea - thanks.

Old 08-02-2014, 10:14 AM
dogshyne is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by nicoli
I soaked rubbing alcohol onto a cotton swab and held it against the edge of the sticker for about five minutes (it tends to evaporate quickly hehe, so keep it wet) - after this I was able to pull up gently on the edge of the sticker and work the soaked cotton swab underneath the edge a bit.

Slowly and I mean slowly, perhaps took 40 minutes each side, worked the stickers off with the alcohol swab loosening the adhesive. Tried to keep the stickers together without tearing while doing this, but of course, it's not perfect. Good luck, I love the car without those awful yellow warning things.

this worked GREAT!!!

I hated when I left the visor down and the sticker would show through the window in its bright yellow color. Now its just black and it cost me nothing!

Old 08-02-2014, 11:55 AM
socalsteve is a name known to allsocalsteve is a name known to allsocalsteve is a name known to allsocalsteve is a name known to allsocalsteve is a name known to allsocalsteve is a name known to all
I put a bit of acetone on a cheap microfiber cloth and rubbed it against the sticker. Less than 10 minutes I had both of them off.

Certainly cannot understand how it could take an hour for each visor.

YMMV

Good luck!

Old 08-02-2014, 12:59 PM
addysdaddy has a spectacular aura aboutaddysdaddy has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by socalsteve
I put a bit of acetone on a cheap microfiber cloth and rubbed it against the sticker. Less than 10 minutes I had both of them off.

Certainly cannot understand how it could take an hour for each visor.

YMMV

Good luck!
Hey Steve...I'm assuming there were no adverse effects to the vinyl? Personally I would be a little afraid of acetone but if it works, it works.

Old 08-02-2014, 01:55 PM
socalsteve is a name known to allsocalsteve is a name known to allsocalsteve is a name known to allsocalsteve is a name known to allsocalsteve is a name known to allsocalsteve is a name known to all
Originally Posted by addysdaddy
Hey Steve...I'm assuming there were no adverse effects to the vinyl? Personally I would be a little afraid of acetone but if it works, it works.
It worked perfectly, no marks, scratches, fading, nada

...still cannot understand how it could take someone over an hour to remove one sticker...

It's not anything fragile, just vinyl.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Removing Stickers from Sun Visor