Removing Stickers from Sun Visor

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-02-2014, 02:11 PM
BCS14 will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by socalsteve
Certainly cannot understand how it could take an hour for each visor.
Yeah, I think an hour is overkill using my method of "tenting." The sticker was so loosened up I could have just about blown on it and it would have slid right off. As it was, I only had to pick up a corner and lift the entire sticker straight off, effortlessly.

My intent was to soak it long enough so I wouldn't have to pick at it with my finger nail to get pieces off if it didn't come off in one piece and thereby potentially leave scratch marks on the surface.

So I think a half hr should be adequate if you "tent" with a plastic bag, as this method is really an accelerated process of getting the adhesive to break loose. And if you do both at the same time, it's only a half hour spent. So it's not necessarily a sequential operation, obviously. You can do both at the same time if you like, or you can use the same soaked paper towel and bag as I did and use again for the other visor.

Old 08-02-2014, 02:29 PM
Originally Posted by socalsteve
...still cannot understand how it could take someone over an hour to remove one sticker...
Maybe you're not referring to the method I used, which certainly didn't take an hour of labor to remove one sticker.

Labor time for me was about 2 minutes to soak the paper towel, set it on the sticker, place a bag over the visor, and just let it soak. Removal was about a minute.

Now I just need to get rid of the residue, which will take some time I suppose using a little elbow grease. Think I'll buy a bottle of acetone and give that a try if you saw no ill effects from using it.

Old 08-03-2014, 05:22 AM
addysdaddy has a spectacular aura aboutaddysdaddy has a spectacular aura about
This thread is very interesting since I recently called the dealership and spoke to the gentleman in charge of detailing all the cars about the sticker removal. After much discussion, he strongly advised me to leave them alone since in his experience, disaster was leaking around the corner. I also spoke with my Autogeek friends and they advised me to leave it alone.

Old 08-03-2014, 07:09 AM
PorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by addysdaddy
This thread is very interesting since I recently called the dealership and spoke to the gentleman in charge of detailing all the cars about the sticker removal. After much discussion, he strongly advised me to leave them alone since in his experience, disaster was leaking around the corner. I also spoke with my Autogeek friends and they advised me to leave it alone.
Care to embellish? What possible disaster could result and why did your Autogeek friends advise against it?

Old 08-03-2014, 07:15 AM
STG991 Is a GOD !STG991 Is a GOD !STG991 Is a GOD !STG991 Is a GOD !STG991 Is a GOD !STG991 Is a GOD !STG991 Is a GOD !STG991 Is a GOD !STG991 Is a GOD !STG991 Is a GOD !STG991 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by PorscheCrazy
Care to embellish? What possible disaster could result and why did your Autogeek friends advise against it?
You might be placed on the NSA's watch list?

Are the Autogeek friends also scared of not putting on a front license plate? Probably : )

Old 08-03-2014, 03:20 PM
socalsteve is a name known to allsocalsteve is a name known to allsocalsteve is a name known to allsocalsteve is a name known to allsocalsteve is a name known to allsocalsteve is a name known to all
Why? Please inform us sticker-less people what disaster looms in our future...

Old 08-03-2014, 08:39 PM
apias is on a distinguished road
I would recommend against using denatured alcohol, which is ethanol, but with toxins, like methanol, added. I'd also be afraid to use acetone, that it might dissolve the vinyl. A 91% isopropyl alcohol obviously works well, although, if you can find it, 190 proof grain alcohol, which is 95% ethanol plus water, would be the solvent of choice -- and, you could always make a "punch" afterward to celebrate with whatever is left over.

Actually, 190 proof grain alcohol makes a good all-purpose solvent and cleaner, so it's good to keep around. It can also be used as a safe alternative to denatured alcohol in, for example, lamps and burners that say to use denatured alcohol as a fuel. I have one of those Cona vacuum pots (coffee maker) that has a little glass burner that goes under the pot to heat the water and I use it for that, and it's also good for quickly cleaning any stubborn coffee residues off the same. Also, works great to quickly remove Sharpie markings from glass (much faster than soap and water, and doesn't require "elbow grease", wipes right off).

Old 08-03-2014, 08:42 PM
Guys, I think he was just yanking your chain!

The first clue was the "disaster" looming right around the corner!

That's flat out ROFLMAO material right there!

He was just busting *****!

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Visor.jpg
Views:	273
Size:	75.9 KB
ID:	398307  
Old 08-03-2014, 08:48 PM
Originally Posted by apias
I would recommend against using denatured alcohol...
Denatured alcohol worked perfectly for me.

Unless I'm about to experience an impending disaster!

But seriously, denatured alcohol has no deleterious effect on the vinyl Porsche uses for their visors.

Old 08-03-2014, 09:00 PM
Originally Posted by BCS14
... But seriously, denatured alcohol has no deleterious effect on the vinyl Porsche uses for their visors.
I'd generally be more worried about the deleterious effect on you than the vinyl, but, depending on exactly what it's been "denatured" with (and that can vary), it could potentially harm vinyl. Besides methanol, benzene (as well as a bunch of other chemicals) may be used to "denature" it.

Since denatured alcohol is just ethanol with poisons added, it's safer to just use ethanol, which, unless you have access to laboratory grade 100% ethanol, the best source is 190 proof grain alcohol, which is still relatively pure at 95%.

Old 08-03-2014, 10:38 PM
Originally Posted by apias
I'd generally be more worried about the deleterious effect on you than the vinyl...
Maybe I missed the warning that says to use with adequate ventilation.

Well I think it might be one of those it depends on what the definition of IS is.

The particular product I used is made by Klean-Strip which I believe I picked up at the local Home Depot, and on their label all it says is that it contains Ethanol denatured with Methanol.

Now about that 190 proof grain alcohol you mentioned, you wouldn't happen to know where I might be able to pick some up, would you? ..... purely for medicinal purposes of course.

Old 08-04-2014, 06:36 AM
Originally Posted by BCS14
Maybe I missed the warning that says to use with adequate ventilation.

Well I think it might be one of those it depends on what the definition of IS is.

The particular product I used is made by Klean-Strip which I believe I picked up at the local Home Depot, and on their label all it says is that it contains Ethanol denatured with Methanol.

Now about that 190 proof grain alcohol you mentioned, you wouldn't happen to know where I might be able to pick some up, would you? ..... purely for medicinal purposes of course.
Most liquor stores or, in states where they allow it, supermarkets. The most common brand is Everclear. Although, your location, I now notice, says socal, and I know it isn't sold in California (or Nevada), so you might have to pop over to Arizona to find some. (There is also 151 proof grain alcohol, so be sure to verify the proof.) Stupid laws designed to protect stupid people from themselves.

Old 08-04-2014, 06:49 AM
addysdaddy has a spectacular aura aboutaddysdaddy has a spectacular aura about
Has anyone tried a steamer to remove the stickers?

Old 08-04-2014, 10:26 AM
Pez D. Spencer is on a distinguished road
Oregon sells Everclear 190, you have to ask for it, it may be kept behind the counter. In Washington we can only get Everclear 150. Terrible tasting, but great cleaner/solvent, the 190 that is. Whenever I'm down there I get a couple of fifths. Great for cleaning bongs, if your from Washington or Colorado.

Old 08-04-2014, 11:04 PM
Has anyone tried a steamer to remove the stickers?
I seriously doubt that would work, as the adhesive used appears to be petroleum based, which requires a solvent of some type to break down the chemical bond.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Removing Stickers from Sun Visor