Glare from Beige Dash on Windshield?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-23-2014, 03:01 PM
mitchellshapiro is on a distinguished road
porsche windshield glare

I have a 2014 Porsche 911S with beige interior. The glare is overwhelming and polarized sunglasses make no difference. The car is very difficult to drive on a sunny day.
Porsche acknowledges the problem and man other complaints, but is not willing to do anything to rectify the problem.

Old 04-23-2014, 03:04 PM
AG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond repute
Red gives the same problem. One thing I found that helps was changing some of the bright work in the cabin to carbon fiber - that helps quite a good amount. You said Porsche recognizes the problem. Where did they do that?

Old 04-23-2014, 03:10 PM
Suzy991 Is a GOD !Suzy991 Is a GOD !Suzy991 Is a GOD !Suzy991 Is a GOD !Suzy991 Is a GOD !Suzy991 Is a GOD !Suzy991 Is a GOD !Suzy991 Is a GOD !Suzy991 Is a GOD !Suzy991 Is a GOD !Suzy991 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by mitchellshapiro
I have a 2014 Porsche 911S with beige interior. The glare is overwhelming and polarized sunglasses make no difference. The car is very difficult to drive on a sunny day. Porsche acknowledges the problem and man other complaints, but is not willing to do anything to rectify the problem.
Porsche always mentioned it in their brochure that the lighter interior colors (Luxor Beige, Platinum grey) have glare. What they really are saying is that ordering it is "on own risk". In fact, every car with a light colored dashboard I've seen so far (no matter what brand) has glare in the windshield. It's inevitable.

It can be a real PITA and personally I think it's even dangerous. Over here you can get a fine when you don't scratch all the ice of a window in the winter... The glare has the same effect IMHO. Car manufacturers should simply not offer it.

Suzy991 (iOS app)

Old 04-23-2014, 03:37 PM
Suzy991 Is a GOD !Suzy991 Is a GOD !Suzy991 Is a GOD !Suzy991 Is a GOD !Suzy991 Is a GOD !Suzy991 Is a GOD !Suzy991 Is a GOD !Suzy991 Is a GOD !Suzy991 Is a GOD !Suzy991 Is a GOD !Suzy991 Is a GOD !
Since the US brochures are not available for download, I've made a screenshot of my own Swiss brochure.

Translation: Depending on lighting condition, this interior color may occur reflections on the windshield.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1821050449.png
Views:	204
Size:	56.8 KB
ID:	364802

Suzy991 (iOS app)

Old 04-23-2014, 04:03 PM
AG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond repute
Thanks Suzy. I have had other light interior cars that have not had nearly this problem. I think it has a lot to do the relative angles of the long front windshield and the dash. The highly aluminum nature of the interior trim only makes it worse.

I must say that I find these smaller issues, glare, wind buffeting, interior rattles, pulling when you turn the car hard at low speeds (especially) when cold, all minor to say the least, to be shocking - to me. Porsche is building a sports car and doing so by trading on a reputation for racing. Things like wind buffeting and glare can be distractions, even hazardous in a race and a company so devoted to engineering and a driving heritage would, I would have expected, never put out a car with such poor attention to detail - at any price, let alone what these cars cost. I feel much the same way about the electronics. The touch interface is so bulky that one needs to take their eyes off the road too long to use it. The voice module is not much better - a real surprise given how good the Audi systems are. I would rather have had just an old radio than electronic like this.

I love the car, don't get me wrong. But I am very surprised by the lack of care, thought and attention to these sorts of details. JMO!

Old 04-23-2014, 04:15 PM
Originally Posted by AG991
Thanks Suzy. I have had other light interior cars that have not had nearly this problem. I think it has a lot to do the relative angles of the long front windshield and the dash. The highly aluminum nature of the interior trim only makes it worse. I must say that I find these smaller issues, glare, wind buffeting, interior rattles, pulling when you turn the car hard at low speeds (especially) when cold, all minor to say the least, to be shocking - to me. Porsche is building a sports car and doing so by trading on a reputation for racing. Things like wind buffeting and glare can be distractions, even hazardous in a race and a company so devoted to engineering and a driving heritage would, I would have expected, never put out a car with such poor attention to detail - at any price, let alone what these cars cost. I feel much the same way about the electronics. The touch interface is so bulky that one needs to take their eyes off the road too long to use it. The voice module is not much better - a real surprise given how good the Audi systems are. I would rather have had just an old radio than electronic like this. I love the car, don't get me wrong. But I am very surprised by the lack of care, thought and attention to these sorts of details. JMO!
I completely agree. At least should a salesperson mention it when a customer wants light interior color on the dashboard. But it's not only Porsche.

One of my neighbors recently bought a Ferrari 458 with a beige interior. Normally the dashboard in the 458 is black (probably for a reason) but he did want the whole interior in beige. No one mentioned there could be problems with glare. Now he has some serious buyers remorse, because of it. That's not a nice feeling when you just payed about $300k for a car.....

Car manufacturers and especially sales people should be aware of these problems and warn customers. If they decide to order it despite the warning, then no one can complain about it.

Suzy991 (iOS app)

Old 04-23-2014, 04:23 PM
Originally Posted by Suzy991
I completely agree. At least should a salesperson mention it when a customer wants light interior color on the dashboard. But it's not only Porsche.

One of my neighbors recently bought a Ferrari 458 with a beige interior. Normally the dashboard in the 458 is black (probably for a reason) but he did want the whole interior in beige. No one mentioned there could be problems with glare. Now he has some serious buyers remorse, because of it. That's not a nice feeling when you just payed about $300k for a car.....

Car manufacturers and especially sales people should be aware of these problems and warn customers. If they decide to order it despite the warning, then no one can complain about it.

Suzy991 (iOS app)
I totally agree, especially at this level of purchase. If you walk into s dealership selling on price alone and just trying to move inventory, it is one thing. But, at this price point, these are the "services" I would expect.

When I bought the car, it was so new that I can't blame the sales people from not knowing some of this. But now. And Porsche really should do a better job. It is true that no one gets extra points when these type of engineering feats go well. But you sure lose points when they don't!

Old 04-23-2014, 04:57 PM
stealth.pilot has a reputation beyond reputestealth.pilot has a reputation beyond reputestealth.pilot has a reputation beyond reputestealth.pilot has a reputation beyond reputestealth.pilot has a reputation beyond reputestealth.pilot has a reputation beyond reputestealth.pilot has a reputation beyond reputestealth.pilot has a reputation beyond reputestealth.pilot has a reputation beyond reputestealth.pilot has a reputation beyond reputestealth.pilot has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by SanibelSpeed
My clock is about to run out on my order as it will lock in the next few days. I've read somewhere that there are complaints about too much reflection coming off the light beige which results in glare on the windshield.

Is this a real problem that isn't resolved by using polarized sunglasses? If so, maybe I can choose to use a deviating color just for the dash top if I were to order the extended leather for dash.

Any and all quick comments & advice will be most welcome and appreciated.

Thanks,

Jeff
You should get Agate Grey or Black on the dash, steering wheel, shifter and upper door trim. Looks much better and eliminates glare.

Old 04-23-2014, 05:19 PM
Location: Split my time between Miami, Sanibel & Woodstock, VT
SanibelSpeed has a brilliant futureSanibelSpeed has a brilliant futureSanibelSpeed has a brilliant futureSanibelSpeed has a brilliant futureSanibelSpeed has a brilliant futureSanibelSpeed has a brilliant futureSanibelSpeed has a brilliant futureSanibelSpeed has a brilliant futureSanibelSpeed has a brilliant futureSanibelSpeed has a brilliant futureSanibelSpeed has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by stealth.pilot
You should get Agate Grey or Black on the dash, steering wheel, shifter and upper door trim. Looks much better and eliminates glare.
Um, your advice comes about 10 months too late.

Old 04-24-2014, 02:48 AM
Originally Posted by SanibelSpeed
Um, your advice comes about 10 months too late.
LOL!.... That's what happens when people don't look at the date when something was posted

BTW... Would it have made any difference?

Suzy991 (iOS app)

Last edited by Suzy991; 04-24-2014 at 02:52 AM.
Old 04-24-2014, 06:13 AM
speedsterr has much to be proud ofspeedsterr has much to be proud ofspeedsterr has much to be proud ofspeedsterr has much to be proud ofspeedsterr has much to be proud ofspeedsterr has much to be proud ofspeedsterr has much to be proud ofspeedsterr has much to be proud ofspeedsterr has much to be proud of
What steering wheel is that on the picture above?

Old 04-24-2014, 06:48 AM
Originally Posted by speedsterr
What steering wheel is that on the picture above?
MF steering wheel

Suzy991 (iOS app)

Old 04-24-2014, 06:38 PM
See U n Rear View is just really niceSee U n Rear View is just really niceSee U n Rear View is just really niceSee U n Rear View is just really niceSee U n Rear View is just really nice
Arrow good luck

The Dealer told me that although the Black Leather interior looks better than the base Black interior, the Base interior has the basketball style texture to reduce glare even further...

I would have the dash either painted with a quality matt black vinyl, (tacky, excuse the pun) or re-covered.

I would never use Dash-Mat but other than trading your 911 in for another, it would keep the glare down...

Old 03-18-2015, 02:14 PM
C4S991 is on a distinguished road
i can get behind this.

i find that polarized glasses help, but it really is quite distracting.

Old 03-19-2015, 02:53 PM
Pez D. Spencer is on a distinguished road
I have the Sport Design steering wheel. That chrome plastic piece, around the air bag, reflects the sun like a mirror. Has blinded me on several occasions. Dangerous. I have tape on it now and I'm looking for a replacement piece or will have to paint it.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Glare from Beige Dash on Windshield?