So you think it's just a bumper job, huh?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-07-2013, 04:31 PM
Sam Zamir will become famous soon enough
So you think it's just a bumper job, huh?

Whats up everyone,
I thought this would help some Listers, A lot of people are left stranded looking for a trustworthy body shop to take their precious cars. I wanted to post this thread to show the damage that can be caused from a simple rear end impact.

A customer came in for "Just a bumper Job" (his words) with some minor damage to his rear bumper on his BRAND NEW 2013 Porsche 911 :bawling:

Let's take a look at this bumper job.
Here is what pulled up...
(Damage to the Right of License Plate)

This is going to be easy right?...

Step one is to remove the bumper and check for additional damage...
This is what we found.

Impact bar has been smashed in like a Pepsi can...

So we further remove the bar and heat shields etc...
after proper stripping we realized the frame had damage... :yikes:

This being an aluminum frame Porsche requires replacement, which requires removal of engine... Let the fun begin...

Once the engine was removed we further inspected the frame and found some of the welds were beginning to separate.

Once the insurance company came out to see the additional surprises they approved and we continued to remove and replace the frame
We put the car on our Frame machine made by CAR BENCH (which is the same frame machines that Porsche Prototypes their cars with) this ensures that the car is aligned to factory specs down to the Millimeter (we also have Celette Benches)!
With the car on Jigs and the old frame out of the way we installed the new frame. (hard to see because the frame comes black)

Here you can see the Betamate seeping thru(ultra high strength glue) That bonds the frame.

Now that the frame is back in place we had the motor put back in
Time for reassembly!!

Yes... we started it like this. Yes it was loud as ****!
Out with the old and In with the new!

All the new parts on the way in.
Once reassembled and tightened up, we send it to Porsche to have them clear all the codes, Align the wheels, and quality check. (Porsche dealer must do this to not void warranty) Once the car is back in our hands we send it thru our wash/detail department
Walked in on her in the shower...

And now look at that rear end!!!!!

A whole lot of work for "Just a bumper Job"

So Wherever you are located here's some tips to get a proper repair on your Porsche 991 or whatever you drive.

Check YELP wherever you are.
Make sure the shop is actually doing the work that is on the estimate :read:
Have good insurance (IF YOU WANT OEM PARTS, READ YOUR CONTRACT!!):read:

And for you lucky Listers that happen to be in Southern California - Los Angeles.
If ever you are in a situation where you need some body work feel free to contact me

We are currently being sponsored by Rusnak Porsche and we are an approved repair facility for
Porsche
Audi
VolksWagen
Mercedes-Benz
BMW
Tesla

We take pride in our yelp reviews (see them for yourself)
http://www.yelp.com/biz/collision-co...nt-los-angeles

http://www.collisionbodyshop.com/

Feel Free to call or email me with any questions regarding repairs or if you need an estimate in Los Angeles.

Sam
Office: 310.280.6000
Cell: 310.745.9373 (Call/text)
sam@collisionbodyshop.com

Attached Images                
Old 06-07-2013, 04:53 PM
Location: Split my time between Miami, Sanibel & Woodstock, VT
SanibelSpeed has a brilliant futureSanibelSpeed has a brilliant futureSanibelSpeed has a brilliant futureSanibelSpeed has a brilliant futureSanibelSpeed has a brilliant futureSanibelSpeed has a brilliant futureSanibelSpeed has a brilliant futureSanibelSpeed has a brilliant futureSanibelSpeed has a brilliant futureSanibelSpeed has a brilliant futureSanibelSpeed has a brilliant future
The worst part is that despite the quality of the fix that was done, the CARFAX report will indicate the repair and as a result the car's resale value will be greatly diminished.

Old 06-07-2013, 06:01 PM
STALKER is a splendid one to beholdSTALKER is a splendid one to beholdSTALKER is a splendid one to beholdSTALKER is a splendid one to beholdSTALKER is a splendid one to beholdSTALKER is a splendid one to behold
Informative. Thanks for sharing.

Old 06-07-2013, 06:24 PM
flyanddive will become famous soon enoughflyanddive will become famous soon enough
That's why on my 911 if I ever get rear ended, I pray to God the car is totaled. Yikes!

Old 06-07-2013, 06:36 PM
LPB987S is a name known to allLPB987S is a name known to allLPB987S is a name known to allLPB987S is a name known to allLPB987S is a name known to allLPB987S is a name known to all
Wow. What was it that caused this damage?

Old 06-07-2013, 06:57 PM
Team Plutonium is a jewel in the roughTeam Plutonium is a jewel in the roughTeam Plutonium is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by flyanddive
That's why on my 911 if I ever get rear ended, I pray to God the car is totaled. Yikes!
+1! I'll burn it on the scene...

Old 06-07-2013, 07:02 PM
Location: Split my time between Miami, Sanibel & Woodstock, VT
SanibelSpeed has a brilliant futureSanibelSpeed has a brilliant futureSanibelSpeed has a brilliant futureSanibelSpeed has a brilliant futureSanibelSpeed has a brilliant futureSanibelSpeed has a brilliant futureSanibelSpeed has a brilliant futureSanibelSpeed has a brilliant futureSanibelSpeed has a brilliant futureSanibelSpeed has a brilliant futureSanibelSpeed has a brilliant future
Back in '05 my Maserati Quattroporte was stolen while I was away for the summer. While the damages done during the druggie's joyride were all fixed, I could't love the car anymore and sold it within a week or two.

Old 06-07-2013, 07:23 PM
djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !
kudos for fixing it the right way!

on the other hand, i would not buy 991. bad design in many things. 997s is much better engineered

Old 06-07-2013, 07:49 PM
Haku Is a GOD !Haku Is a GOD !Haku Is a GOD !Haku Is a GOD !Haku Is a GOD !Haku Is a GOD !Haku Is a GOD !Haku Is a GOD !Haku Is a GOD !Haku Is a GOD !Haku Is a GOD !
OP, thanks for the informative post.

Originally Posted by djantlive
kudos for fixing it the right way!

on the other hand, i would not buy 991. bad design in many things. 997s is much better engineered
Hmmmm so Porsche spend a few billion on developing an "inferior" car and a mug like me (who has had many previous and "better designed and engineered" 997 variants) goes and buys it and loves almost every aspect of it! It drives better, it feels better, it's faster.... But it's "inferior"???!!!

You obviously must have been well qualified to make your statement. So what can you tell us about the inferior engineering of the 991 that Porsche decline to tell us? I am intrigued.

Last edited by Haku; 06-07-2013 at 07:51 PM.
Old 06-07-2013, 07:52 PM
rnl
rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Team Plutonium

+1! I'll burn it on the scene...
+1000

I saw a fire extinguisher on the suncoast site. I think marshmallows are a better idea. You guys did some great work for that poor guy's 911

Old 06-07-2013, 08:11 PM
nicoli has a reputation beyond reputenicoli has a reputation beyond reputenicoli has a reputation beyond reputenicoli has a reputation beyond reputenicoli has a reputation beyond reputenicoli has a reputation beyond reputenicoli has a reputation beyond reputenicoli has a reputation beyond reputenicoli has a reputation beyond reputenicoli has a reputation beyond reputenicoli has a reputation beyond repute
Thanks for showing what it really takes to do it right, Sam. I hope you continue to get good business. Very informative!

Old 06-07-2013, 08:43 PM
GCBC has a reputation beyond reputeGCBC has a reputation beyond reputeGCBC has a reputation beyond reputeGCBC has a reputation beyond reputeGCBC has a reputation beyond reputeGCBC has a reputation beyond reputeGCBC has a reputation beyond reputeGCBC has a reputation beyond reputeGCBC has a reputation beyond reputeGCBC has a reputation beyond reputeGCBC has a reputation beyond repute
Looks like there will be tons of track/race cars in the next few yrs from all the "totaled" cars in parking lot fender benders being bought back from insurance companies for %20 of retail. Or at least tons of cheap parts

Old 06-07-2013, 08:53 PM
carcam will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by Haku
OP, thanks for the informative post.

Hmmmm so Porsche spend a few billion on developing an "inferior" car and a mug like me (who has had many previous and "better designed and engineered" 997 variants) goes and buys it and loves almost every aspect of it! It drives better, it feels better, it's faster.... But it's "inferior"???!!!

You obviously must have been well qualified to make your statement. So what can you tell us about the inferior engineering of the 991 that Porsche decline to tell us? I am intrigued.
He's a troll- dont waste your time.

Old 06-08-2013, 04:32 AM
KonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud of
OP - thx for the informative post and nice work. I am surprised that the car is that fragile. Judging from Pic #1, the owner wasn't hit that hard, yet the frame was bent. I guess maybe this is a consequence of ever lighter construction.

Old 06-08-2013, 05:39 AM
pyramid has much to be proud ofpyramid has much to be proud ofpyramid has much to be proud ofpyramid has much to be proud ofpyramid has much to be proud ofpyramid has much to be proud ofpyramid has much to be proud ofpyramid has much to be proud of
Congrats OP, that is one quality workshop you running there.
One nit pick, the assy picture where all underparts, muffler, and those filter box are laying down on the concrete floor, it will introduce scratches.
I understand they are underparts and no one could not see them once the bumper is up, but if there is room for improvement, it surely can be avoided.
Just a thought, no complain here.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: So you think it's just a bumper job, huh?