Tire balance and spacers

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-16-2013, 10:51 PM
aljaberh has much to be proud ofaljaberh has much to be proud ofaljaberh has much to be proud ofaljaberh has much to be proud ofaljaberh has much to be proud ofaljaberh has much to be proud ofaljaberh has much to be proud ofaljaberh has much to be proud ofaljaberh has much to be proud of
Tire balance and spacers

Hello

I have the factory 5mm spacers, factory Installed on my car and everything was super good the past 5 months

Just recently, I got a flat tire

The tire was repaired professionally at Pirelli and then balanced and put back

But I felt that there was a slight vibration in the steering

I took it to the Porsche dealer to balance the same tire again, but still I don’t see any difference in the results

Am not sure if it was better earlier or just the same,

But just wondering is there any sort of special balancing if you have a spacer on?

As the tire balance is perfect and the only thing I can think on now is the spacer as it might need to be somehow balanced together with the tire. or maybe the repaired tire is causing the problem?

I know I might not make any sense but I hope you understood my point

Please advise

Old 06-17-2013, 02:48 AM
Alan has a reputation beyond reputeAlan has a reputation beyond reputeAlan has a reputation beyond reputeAlan has a reputation beyond reputeAlan has a reputation beyond reputeAlan has a reputation beyond reputeAlan has a reputation beyond reputeAlan has a reputation beyond reputeAlan has a reputation beyond reputeAlan has a reputation beyond reputeAlan has a reputation beyond repute
What caused the flat? Any chance the rim itself was damaged? I've had to replace rims and tires after hitting particularly nasty potholes

Old 06-17-2013, 02:55 AM
LotF has a spectacular aura aboutLotF has a spectacular aura aboutLotF has a spectacular aura about
Make sure all four wheels have the correct pressures.
Have the balance checked for the other wheels.
The wheel could be bent from the flat.
Remove the spacers temporarily and see if anything changes.
Get a new tire.

Last edited by LotF; 06-17-2013 at 03:03 AM.
Old 06-17-2013, 03:40 AM
aljaberh has much to be proud ofaljaberh has much to be proud ofaljaberh has much to be proud ofaljaberh has much to be proud ofaljaberh has much to be proud ofaljaberh has much to be proud ofaljaberh has much to be proud ofaljaberh has much to be proud ofaljaberh has much to be proud of
The cause of the flat tire was a small screw, the wheel is 100% fine

The wheel balance is fine for all tires

That’s why the only reasons I can think of at the moment are:

1.That maybe there is a special balancing should be done as I have spacers on my car( i made this up not sure if there is a special balancing if you have spacers)
2.I have to change the repaired tire.

The vibration is very minor, but it is annoying me as there was no vibration at all earlier

Old 06-17-2013, 06:03 AM
mtony has a reputation beyond reputemtony has a reputation beyond reputemtony has a reputation beyond reputemtony has a reputation beyond reputemtony has a reputation beyond reputemtony has a reputation beyond reputemtony has a reputation beyond reputemtony has a reputation beyond reputemtony has a reputation beyond reputemtony has a reputation beyond reputemtony has a reputation beyond repute
Easy. Take the spacers off. If the vibration continues you either have to rebalance again or check the wheel. If the wheel checks OK, then the patched tire is the problem and a new tire should fix the problem.

Old 06-17-2013, 07:03 AM
ncamg is on a distinguished road
Find a shop that can Roadforce balance the tire and wheel.

Old 06-17-2013, 05:03 PM
Ajax-Prime will become famous soon enough
I have had this problem in the past with another vehicle, and I will never buy spacers again. I'll just buy a wheel with the offset I'm trying to achieve.

All 4 tires and wheels may be in great condition, and balanced within normal tolerances. The problem I think lies within the contact area of the wheel and the spacer itself. If the mating area between these two surfaces is not pristine, you have effectively just mounted a bent wheel, or an out of balance tire.

After going around and around and around and around (so to speak) cleaning each surface and wondering WTF! was wrong, I just removed the spacers and voila, the problem went away.

Old 06-17-2013, 07:09 PM
chuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud of
If the balance was good before the flat, chances are very high that the balance is off. That could be weights or a defective tire.

Old 06-17-2013, 07:19 PM
STALKER is a splendid one to beholdSTALKER is a splendid one to beholdSTALKER is a splendid one to beholdSTALKER is a splendid one to beholdSTALKER is a splendid one to beholdSTALKER is a splendid one to behold
Not a likely cause, and they would have normally seen this when they balanced the car, but sometimes you can just get a bad tire. This has actually happened to me in the past.

Old 06-17-2013, 07:22 PM
HotHonda Is a GOD !HotHonda Is a GOD !HotHonda Is a GOD !HotHonda Is a GOD !HotHonda Is a GOD !HotHonda Is a GOD !HotHonda Is a GOD !HotHonda Is a GOD !HotHonda Is a GOD !HotHonda Is a GOD !HotHonda Is a GOD !
My experience w/spacers:

This hub centric spacer was not machined to the correct diameter (tooling worn out?) & consequently the wheel did not sit flush to the face of spacer.

Vibration made me suspicious when there was none before.

Old 06-17-2013, 07:42 PM
rnl
rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !
They repaired your tire? Doesn't Porsche recommend that tires be replaced and not repaired?

Old 06-17-2013, 08:52 PM
Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !
I'm surprised at you "repaired" the tire. Use a new one and I bet this will go away.

Old 06-17-2013, 10:51 PM
kitw has much to be proud ofkitw has much to be proud ofkitw has much to be proud ofkitw has much to be proud ofkitw has much to be proud ofkitw has much to be proud ofkitw has much to be proud ofkitw has much to be proud ofkitw has much to be proud of
Nah, I bet the balance isn't perfect - make sure they roadforce balance it, especially with a patch. Almost guarantee that is the issue if the wheel isn't bent.

Old 06-18-2013, 01:35 AM
As the damage was minor, Pirelli recommended me to repair the tire

I performed the balancing twice once at Pirelli and the second at the Porsche dealer

The results are the same, the wheel is fine and the spacers are fine

Means the only cause could be the repaired tire need to be changed

Old 06-18-2013, 03:07 PM
ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by HotHonda
My experience w/spacers:

This hub centric spacer was not machined to the correct diameter (tooling worn out?) & consequently the wheel did not sit flush to the face of spacer.

Vibration made me suspicious when there was none before.
Good catch HotHonda!!!

ChuckJ

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Tire balance and spacers