Base 3.4 Engine Vibration at 3300 RPM

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-27-2014, 08:09 AM
ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by 991carreradriver
I have SC and I have the vibration.

Frank C.
So much for that idea.

ChuckJ
PS did they replace your muffler under the recall?

Old 10-27-2014, 09:29 AM
991carreradriver has a spectacular aura about991carreradriver has a spectacular aura about991carreradriver has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by ChuckJ
So much for that idea.

ChuckJ
PS did they replace your muffler under the recall?
I never received a recall notice about a muffler. Can you elaborate as to which muffler was subject to a recall? I eliminated my center muffler when I had the AWE Performance exhaust installed.

Old 10-27-2014, 10:29 AM
PorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond repute
It only affected certain build dates, from 3/12 to 11/12. Here is article.

http://www.9magazine.com/2012-2013-p...t-pipe-defect/

Old 10-27-2014, 11:20 AM
hawc has a reputation beyond reputehawc has a reputation beyond reputehawc has a reputation beyond reputehawc has a reputation beyond reputehawc has a reputation beyond reputehawc has a reputation beyond reputehawc has a reputation beyond reputehawc has a reputation beyond reputehawc has a reputation beyond reputehawc has a reputation beyond reputehawc has a reputation beyond repute
I have had my dealer witness the vibration. As you know it is very easy to reproduce. I got the old "operating as intended line."
That's very frustrating that you were able to show the dealer the noise and they said, yeah that's fine.

I am starting to lean towards some sort of cam- valve issue.
That's what I'm afraid of, that it's some sort of cam/valve noise inside the engine which will be way more complicated to diagnose and fix.

I was wondering if it was something in the PDK box. What are those things called in a manual gearbox that make sure 2nd gear 'meshes' okay into 1st gear? I used to be able to hear that mechanical rattle type noise in my manual Cayman. I was wondering if it had something to do with that.

Old 10-27-2014, 11:31 AM
ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !
I never received a recall notice about a muffler. Can you elaborate as to which muffler was subject to a recall? I eliminated my center muffler when I had the AWE Performance exhaust installed.
Early 3.4s had a recall and got both mufflers under the fenders replaced.
2012-2013 YM
Vin range ....06073-06691
.....40074-40635
.....06062-06800
.....40061-40816

The exhaust tailpipe of the rear muffler can fracture and separate.

Your dealer should know if your car is part of the recall. Mine was and it was a May 2012 build.

ChuckJ

Old 10-27-2014, 12:21 PM
991carreradriver has a spectacular aura about991carreradriver has a spectacular aura about991carreradriver has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by ChuckJ
Early 3.4s had a recall and got both mufflers under the fenders replaced.
2012-2013 YM
Vin range ....06073-06691
.....40074-40635
.....06062-06800
.....40061-40816

The exhaust tailpipe of the rear muffler can fracture and separate.

Your dealer should know if your car is part of the recall. Mine was and it was a May 2012 build.

ChuckJ
I will check the VIN, but my car was an August 2013 build date so I am probably not affected.

Old 10-27-2014, 12:24 PM
Founder is on a distinguished road
I have been attempting to diagnose this since August. Here's what I have learned:
1) it does not occur in neutral
2) It occurs in normal, Sport & Sport +
3) It does not occur as the car is slowed in gear through 3200-3300 RPM. It occurs under acceleration load only.
4. It occurs with the spoiler extended or retracted.

I doubt that it is anything due to the exhaust, as I have an AWE performance exhaust installed. The vibration was present both before & after the installation. I have had my dealer witness the vibration. As you know it is very easy to reproduce. I got the old "operating as intended line". I am starting to lean towards some sort of cam- valve issue. If it was a harmonic resonance all 3.4's would have the vibration as its a design production issue.

Frank C.
Good info thanks Frank, I'm going to try to confirm these today. I'm not sure if I would rule out exhaust, since the harmonic only happens during acceleration (in my case light acceleration). That would seem to rule out pure rotational harmonics, yes?

If the problem doesn't happen in neutral it sounds like a car will need to be put on a dyno to identify the vibrating element.

Old 10-27-2014, 12:24 PM
Originally Posted by hawc
That's very frustrating that you were able to show the dealer the noise and they said, yeah that's fine.

That's what I'm afraid of, that it's some sort of cam/valve noise inside the engine which will be way more complicated to diagnose and fix.

I was wondering if it was something in the PDK box. What are those things called in a manual gearbox that make sure 2nd gear 'meshes' okay into 1st gear? I used to be able to hear that mechanical rattle type noise in my manual Cayman. I was wondering if it had something to do with that.
I think you are referring to "synchros". I don't believe they exist in the PDK. The whole concept of dual clutch would eliminate the need for them.

Old 10-27-2014, 12:29 PM
Founder is on a distinguished road
PS mine is a 2014 with only 2k miles so I think it's unrelated to the exhaust recall or any exhaust parts fracturing.

Old 10-27-2014, 12:42 PM
Originally Posted by Founder
Good info thanks Frank, I'm going to try to confirm these today. I'm not sure if I would rule out exhaust, since the harmonic only happens during acceleration (in my case light acceleration). That would seem to rule out pure rotational harmonics, yes?

If the problem doesn't happen in neutral it sounds like a car will need to be put on a dyno to identify the vibrating element.
First, I am not so sure it is only under light acceleration. If you listen carefully, you will hear it under heavier throttle inputs. Its sounds different because its a shorter interval that rpm's remain in the 3200-3300 range. Second, I am pretty convinced its not harmonic for a lot of reasons. The primary reason is that there is no engine roughness when you stay in the vibration zone. Its just noise. There are a number of possibilities but one that sticks with me is auto tension timing chain. The chain tightens and loosens to adjust the timing under different power requirements. It may be responsible for the metallic vibration sound at a specific timing setting. I think that because it happens in the same RPM range in every gear (gear 1 is hard to hear but it is there) it must be engine related. This sound is so tin like, that it probably isn't bottom engine but rather top engine. For a loud as it is, one would expect to feel it but I don't feel anything, I just hear it. Its the craziest thing.

Old 10-27-2014, 09:12 PM
hawc has a reputation beyond reputehawc has a reputation beyond reputehawc has a reputation beyond reputehawc has a reputation beyond reputehawc has a reputation beyond reputehawc has a reputation beyond reputehawc has a reputation beyond reputehawc has a reputation beyond reputehawc has a reputation beyond reputehawc has a reputation beyond reputehawc has a reputation beyond repute
I wonder why it doesn't happen in neutral.

I get it most noticeably in 2nd and 3rd.

Old 10-27-2014, 09:13 PM
I think you are referring to "synchros". I don't believe they exist in the PDK. The whole concept of dual clutch would eliminate the need for them.
That's exactly what I was thinking of - synchros. Good to know PDK doesn't have them (my bad) so that wouldn't be it.

I wonder why the noise is unique to the 3.4 and not the 3.8.

Old 10-27-2014, 09:15 PM
If someone would voluntarily load their car on to a plane and crash it then I'm sure Greg Feith would be able to figure out the problem. He can figure out anything.

Old 10-28-2014, 12:47 PM
Originally Posted by Turbotip
Anyone else notice engine vibration/buzzing noise right around 3300 RPM that sounds like valve clatter? It seems to go away by 3600 RPM.
I have been doing more research on the vibration issues discussed herein. Since we use the Boxter 3.4 engine I started reviewing threads from various boards. It appears that the problem is known to exist in the Boxster as well. While different solutions worked for different folks, the more common solution was replacing the dual mass flywheel. Now that I think about it, the noise vibration sounds a lot like the turning of the flywheel when it is not attached to the trans. I am not sure how our car is setup with the PDK, but I assume we have one flywheel.

Old 10-28-2014, 04:57 PM
rnl
rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !
Either my C2 does not have the problem or I am unable to detect it. Just shy of 40,000 miles and it's smoother and more powerful today than when i bought it in June 2012

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Base 3.4 Engine Vibration at 3300 RPM